Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinion sought

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been stepping back from the registry caliber material and collecting stuff to put in the many dansco albums I have lying around as a side project to things dont get dull, things ranging from Buffalo nickels to Mercury dimes to Walkers to Peace dollars. Now comes to the question I have. When it comes to filling the key date coins or even higher dollar stuff, should I keep them in the holder(even though they would be in circulated but collector grades say VF-AU) or crack them out? I can easily argue both sides. Just want some other collectors and dealers opinions. I plan on keeping these collections for a bit if that helps.

Comments

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I plan on keeping these collections for a bit

How many years in a "bit"?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had many coins tone in my Dansco Albums, to include Mercury Dimes, Washington Quarters(both silver and clad) and Kennedy halves(both silver and clad).
    If you intend on keeping these coins for an extended period of time, then realize that the slabbed coins will not match the coloring, at all, with the ones left in
    the albums.
    Now if you have intentions of selling within the next 5-10 years, I would keep them in the slabs.
    This question comes up quite often and many of those that mean to retain the albums for a long period of time, do crack out the keys. They usually will keep the
    slab inserts for the future(while this may not increase your albums value, it may make the coins easier to sell).
    Best of luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only reason for cracking out certified key date coins from their PCGS or NGC holders to put them into an album is to get the satisfaction of seeing the coins lined up side by side in the album. When you get ready to sell the coins, you won't get the best price if those coins are raw. You will have to have them graded again. That costs money, and you run the risk or reward of not getting the same grade. If you want my opinion the down side is more likely than the up side when you send coins in to be graded again. You really have to know how to grade or get lucky to get an upgrade the second time around.

My type set is in my head. I don't need an album. I think that a lot of advanced collectors think that way.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    IMHO
    Buy the coins.. key date or not. Buy the coins you like. Then they are your coins. If you want them in your album, please put them in there. If you want to collect slabs, that's fine too.
    A good solid coin, can stand on it's own with or without a TPG opinion.

Love coins.... living with the industry.
    I'm Just Sayin"

http://www.coinshop.com
  • Options
    JamesMurrayJamesMurray Posts: 4,036

<< <i>The only reason for cracking out certified key date coins from their PCGS or NGC holders to put them into an album is to get the satisfaction of seeing the coins lined up side by side in the album. When you get ready to sell the coins, you won't get the best price if those coins are raw. You will have to have them graded again. That costs money, and you run the risk or reward of not getting the same grade. If you want my opinion the down side is more likely than the up side when you send coins in to be graded again. You really have to know how to grade or get lucky to get an upgrade the second time around.

My type set is in my head. I don't need an album. I think that a lot of advanced collectors think that way. >>

This makes complete sense to me , i also wonder if in these days of fantastic photography if pictures don't take the place of perusing albums.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slabs are better for resale. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    collector here
    myself
    i'd leave them in a holder...no regrets later...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I plan on keeping these collections for a bit

How many years in a "bit"? >>

...one prez term. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My rule is "NEVER EVER CRACK A COIN OUT". Nothing but bad things can happen.

JMHO
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

Keep the coins in their slabs.

If you don't like the way the albums look with holes in those spots, put color pics of those particular coins into those spots.

You will thank yourself later for doing this.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The only reason for cracking out certified key date coins from their PCGS or NGC holders to put them into an album is to get the satisfaction of seeing the coins lined up side by side in the album. When you get ready to sell the coins, you won't get the best price if those coins are raw. You will have to have them graded again. That costs money, and you run the risk or reward of not getting the same grade. If you want my opinion the down side is more likely than the up side when you send coins in to be graded again. You really have to know how to grade or get lucky to get an upgrade the second time around.

My type set is in my head. I don't need an album. I think that a lot of advanced collectors think that way. >>

This makes complete sense to me , i also wonder if in these days of fantastic photography if pictures don't take the place of perusing albums. >>

I have a kid who I collect with. Our type set is NOT just in our head but we do have 2 dansco 7070 albums and somewhat of a TPGS type set.
    The reasoning behind it is this:

For those that are young, part of the thrill of coin collecting is to have the opportunity to touch or at least see the coin unencumbered. We have a "nice" 7070 and we have a lower grade "hands-on" 7070. Those meet those needs. I would NOT crack out a key date or overly expensive coin (for us, that would be anything above $150ish) to put in the album.

Taking what JamesMurray wrote above is something we have been doing a little bit at a time. I have some pics and I have scanned the blank 7070 pages, and started to place coins in those for online persual. I haven't been overly happy with the size/pics/look yet though. Spacemonkey, I am not.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The key's will be easier to sell when they're holdered and you're likely to get the most out of them too.

Freddie
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Key date coins in slabs are not normally made in China unless your buying them from there.
    Simple fact is that key dates have been targeted by the counterfeiters for the longest time.
    And just because it was in a slab five years ago doesn't mean it will get back in one five years from now.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was young, completing Whitman albums, I loved holding coins and filling holes.

Today, I keep most of my best coins in slabs. But the rest are cracked for raw sets I really enjoy.

No regrets. It's not retirement income. It's about the love of the hobby.
    Lance.

• Options
    CRACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file