Home Sports Talk

Albert Pujols...Early Slump or Over the Hill?

WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
In the last offseason Albert Pujols was arguably the most coveted free agent in baseball. He eventually signs with the Angels for an astounding $241 million over 10 years. Often considered a contender to the home run record and a (so far) career .328 hitter, he has started this season grossly underperforming. Through 17 games the Angels are in the AL West basement and Pujols is batting .232 with no homers and 4 RBI.

The baseball season is a long season but media, fans and owners tend to get impatient with underachieving players they had to spend big money to lure away from other interested teams.

So do you believe Pujols is simply experiencing an early season slump or is this the first chapter in potentially the worst free agent deal in the history of baseball?
Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"

Comments

• jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
  • PowderedH2OPowderedH2O Posts: 2,443 ✭✭
    He got off to a similar start last season. No surprise.
    Successful dealings with shootybabitt, LarryP, Doctor K, thedutymon, billsgridirongreats, fattymacs, shagrotn77, pclpads, JMDVM, gumbyfan, itzagoner, rexvos, al032184, gregm13, californiacards3, mccardguy1, BigDaddyBowman, bigreddog, bobbyw8469, burke23, detroitfan2, drewsef, jeff8877, markmac, Goldlabels, swartz1, blee1, EarlsWorld, gseaman25, kcballboy, jimrad, leadoff4, weinhold, Mphilking, milbroco, msassin, meteoriteguy, rbeaton and gameusedhoop.
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>He got off to a similar start last season. No surprise. >>

It wasn't that bad. He had 7 HR and 17 RBI by this date last season.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I just looked at his stats and they are absolutely atrocious.

To answer the OP....

Both ( It looks like )
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    A bit off topic, but Albert, Bobby Abreu, Torii Hunter and Vernon Wells are costing the halos 75 million this year. Hunter and Abreu come off the books after this season, leaving Wells and Albert at 47 Million per.

OUCH

Then again, The halos average close to 3 million in attendance and receive 150 million a year from Fox. So lots of dollars to BLOW
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New league, new pitchers, different strikezone. Too early to tell.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

• << <i>New league, new pitchers, different strikezone. Too early to tell.

Joe >>

I agree, it's an adjustment period. He also no doubt is placing a lot of mental stress on himself to perform. He'll get a few HR's and then be back on track.

• << <i>New league, new pitchers, different strikezone. Too early to tell.

Joe >>

Ding ding - we got a winner !

Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

<< <i>New league, new pitchers, different strikezone. Too early to tell.

Joe >>

What do you mean by different strikezone? The umpires haven't changed, if that's what you mean.

<< <i>

<< <i>New league, new pitchers, different strikezone. Too early to tell.

Joe >>

Ding ding - we got a winner ! >>

Bottom line you either hit or dont hit, he has been in the AL for well over a month to include spring training, Id be concerned if I signed him.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mlbfan2 generally speaking the umpires do not call strikes the same between the two leagues in reference to the "high strike".

Ballplayers often hit in streaks, being more of an American League guy, I have not followed Albert's day to day performances in the past. I would not be worried at this point.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
    Pujols is in the midst of a career-worst slump.(US Presswire)
    Seriously, what the heck is going on with Albert Pujols?

Pujols has yet to hit even one home run in 72 at-bats as a member of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, and now he is in the throes of an 0-for-19 slump, the worst of his storied career. Overall he is hitting .222 with four RBI. His .601 OPS ranks 74th out of 94 qualifiers in the American League, one spot ahead of the Mariners' perennial disappointment Chone Figgins, the ex-Angel.

The Angels gave Pujols a $240-million contract for 10 years, which means he is only 1-2 percent into that contract. Yes, it's early. But this is unprecedented for Albert.

"I think he'll be fine,'' one scout says. "Not 10 years fine. But fine (in the near future).''

There have been basically two theories going around as to what could possibly be the matter for the player whose first 10 years were very much like Joe DiMaggio and Lou Gehrig. One is that Angels Stadium is tougher than it looks, and tougher than he figured. The other is that any new place is tough for an exalted, ballyhooed superstar.

1. Angels Stadium is no bandbox, especially at night.

The new Busch Stadium isn't, either, but it plays about as straight-up and even as any park in the majors. Anaheim Stadium is a difficult place for a power hitter, especially at certain times. "Anaheim is a tough place to homer at night,'' one Los Angeles-based scout said. "You better hit it in the early innings before the air gets heavier, and you better pull it.'' That scout, who seems to double as a meteorologist, said it's the "marine air'' that kills power hitters. I'm not sure if that's a euphemism for smog but he might have something there.

According to his spray chart, Pujols has hit four long drives at Angels Stadium, with four balls being caught deep and one hitting off the top of the wall. "He's very frustrated with that ballpark. The ball doesn't carry there,'' another scout said. "He probably underestimated the ballpark, and how tough it is to hit home runs there.''

That might be it. It could be the park. But the numbers also show that Pujols is actualy hitting much better at home, as he has a respectable .770 OPS at home and a .406 OPS on the road.

2. New teams are trouble for players who come with monster contracts.

"He was in the comfort zone in St. Louis,'' the second scout said. "Now he's in a new place and feels he has to prove something all over again. It's mental.''

One prominent agent (not Pujols' guy) said nearly every big player had a short adjustment period to his new surroundings. Last year Carl Crawford and Adam Dunn were among the new free agents adjusting to a change of locale.

Pujols does appear to be frustrated (though he denies that he is), and he appears to be looking for help on the bench from his teammates. Someone with the success he's had just isn't used to struggling like this.

In case he's interested, our scout said, "He looks like he's trying to pull everything.'' (Although in Anaheim, that might be his best bet to hit one out.)

Pujols hit .383 with seven home runs in spring training, where there are few expectations and little pressure (Plus, the air at Tempe's Diablo Stadium is thin and the ball flies.)

No one is taking seriously the idea that Pujols will be less than great, eventually. Not yet, anyway. Seventy-two at-bats isn't a lot. Nobody should really begin to be judged until at least a month in, or maybe 150 at-bats. So he isn't even halfway there.

The second scout said, "I don't want to be the team he's facing when he comes out of it. He'll get it going ... I think.''

• bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    When he gets to Fenway and faces the Red Sox bullpen, that will get him out of his slump. image
    Capecards

<< <i>When he gets to Fenway and faces the Red Sox bullpen, that will get him out of his slump. image >>

That is a completely true statement.

• NamesJayNamesJay Posts: 327 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Too early to tell. >>

serious question, when is it no longer too early to tell?

30 games? 50 games? 100 games? the entire season?

and if pujols bats .250 with 10 home runs and 50 rbis for the entire season, i'm sure some will say "it's just one season. he'll be back next season." >>

I can assure you nobody will be saying this. If Pujols puts up those numbers, then this season will be deemed an utter and absolute failure.
  • There might be something to the ballpark/air/warning track theory - he's on track to hit 54 doubles. So that means he's not just staring confusedly at strike three all the time.
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
  • alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    to be honest whatever he has needs to stay put at least one more day......then when he leaves Cleveland he can do whatever he wants.....image
  • fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Too early to jump to conclusions.Give him 40 games then see where he is at.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That scout, who seems to double as a meteorologist, said it's the "marine air'' that kills power hitters. I'm not sure if that's a euphemism for smog but he might have something there. >>

imageimageimageimageimageimage

That made me lol.... There is no smog at Angel Stadium and many nights the moist ocean air from the nearby coast rolls in like a fog. Heavy and dense air.

I am not an Angel fan or a Pujols fan, just had to say something because it really made me laugh.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax

<< <i>mlbfan2 generally speaking the umpires do not call strikes the same between the two leagues in reference to the "high strike".

>>

The strike zone is the same in both leagues. They're the same umpires! There are no AL and NL umpires anymore. The "high strike" is long gone.
  • Let's not write him off quite yet.

• swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Albert Mendoza !!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Was at the game yesterday. He was hitting BOMBS during BP....of course that equates to nothing in a game as we witnessed.

Our daughter gets a kick out of his name Pooholes.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give him some time. Hes too good of a hitter to do this all season. Sometimes it takes guys a little while to get used to changing leagues.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

• << <i>Give him some time. Hes too good of a hitter to do this all season. Sometimes it takes guys a little while to get used to changing leagues. >>

I wish people would realize this.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Our daughter gets a kick out of his name Pooholes. >>

Hopefully he'll retire just as the 'Stros switch to the ALW.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Give him some time. Hes too good of a hitter to do this all season. Sometimes it takes guys a little while to get used to changing leagues. >>

I wish people would realize this. >>

+1
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he is definitely started to decline, but he is not declining this much. I think this start is just a fluke. I think he will get it together. Fortunately for the Cardinals, his (sort of) replacement, Carlos Beltran, is off to a great start. Pujols was my favorite Cardinals player ever. Many Cardinals fans are furious at him for leaving. With me, I am trying to have a balanced approach. I wish him well, but he is no longer a Cardinal. To me, in a weird way, it kind of feels like he retired.

Shane

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    WOW! It's amazing that at this point he his hitting only 2 points above the Mendoza Line. In his last 13 games he is 6 for 50 with ZERO RBIs. His best offensive performance in those 13 games is 1 for 4. He HAS tro get better. Too good to be hitting like this.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Slump

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Give him some time. Hes too good of a hitter to do this all season. Sometimes it takes guys a little while to get used to changing leagues. >>

I wish people would realize this. >>

+1 >>

• Getting booed at home now, wow.
  • CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    "Getting booed at home now, wow"
    I was just thinking of when the Angel fans will start to boo him, and they have started.

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • GarabaldiGarabaldi Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭
    I will trade you John Lackey and Carl Crawford for him?
  • Slump over, first home run.lol
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Slump over, first home run.lol >>

See? That Mark Grace knows his stuff...
    Good for Albert, lets see if he can move his BA to say........... .250 maybe? image
    Not a Pujols lover but it was nice to see him get out of his slump. Love the way his teammates left the dugout!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
    His HR drought may be over, but his slump sure isn't. He's still under .200, and .107 in his last 7 games.

<< <i>His HR drought may be over, but his slump sure isn't. He's still under .200, and .107 in his last 7 games. >>

Agreed ... was referring to his HR slump.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    Higher batting average at the end of season.... Dunn or Pujols?
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Slump over, first home run.lol >>

See? That Mark Grace knows his stuff... >>

Gracie always had the best quotes!
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • I think Pujols, even at age 42, will have a good season. J/k.

He'll have good stats by year end.
    Who wooda thunk that in game #29, Pujols would go 1 for 5 and RAISE his batting average!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    He's been so good in his career that anything short of .315 40 HR and 120 RBI's is a down year. I think it's fairly safe to say...this is going to be a down year. If anyone can put an historic push towards great #'s it's him; but it doesn't look like it. It's not so much that he isn't hitting HR's...he just isn't hitting. His slugging % is terrible. I would think that Angels management is horrified.
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    As a fan, it's tough to see this. It's even worse watching the Padres take 2 of 3 from us this past weekend...

Justin
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>As a fan, it's tough to see this. It's even worse watching the Padres take 2 of 3 from us this past weekend...

Justin >>

Also, when you look back at last year's splits, it's apparent that this isn't just a slow start to the season. Career lows in all the slash line numbers last year, and even lower so far this year. Numbers for the last 365 days: .283/.342/.515, which are FAR below his worst season ever.

Not saying he's toast by any stretch, but the numbers have to concern Arte and company.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • The best part is that even though Pujols is stinking it up out in LA, he actually has more 2Bs and more RBIs than AFraud.

Good luck catching Hammerin Hank, AFraud.

Heh heh heh