Home Sports Talk

Albert Pujols...Early Slump or Over the Hill?

2»

Comments

• zendudezendude Posts: 208 ✭✭

I believe Pujols is 34 years old (not 32) and will be steadily declining over the next few years. Worst free agent contract ever.
  • TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474

<< <i>I believe Pujols is 34 years old (not 32) and will be steadily declining over the next few years. Worst free agent contract ever. >>

Right up there with Vernon Wells...at least for the next 2-1/2 years. I think Vernon actually earns more than Pujols over the same period
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's starting to come around now...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

<< <i>He's starting to come around now... >>

Last 10 games.

May 15-24: .325/.377/.650/1.027 4 HR, 10 RBI, 26 total bases, 4BB/5K

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭
    I went to the game last night and he hit the 1st ball so hard that it went over the left field fence... over the 1st deck and it hit the ESPN sign on the face of the upper deck/////saving the best part for last....I heard it hit the sign and I was sitting on the 1st base upper deck. It was a line shot that got out in a hurry. During the entire BP he only hit like 1 ball out. I was starting to seriously have my doubts. My analysis is this.............he was/is in a serious slump and adjustment period. What I witnessed was no one in the league was going to get the ball by him last night.
  • I think he'll be fine and end up as one of the top HR leaders by the time the season is coming to an end. This is Pujols were talking about here.
  • WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Are the umpires two distinct entities still? I thought they merged.

Good for you.
  • bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>Are the umpires two distinct entities still? I thought they merged. >>

They did
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    It flicks the bubble out of the needle or else it gets the bench again.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Another home run tonight (3 run). So happy to see him connecting the way we all know he can. Now hopefully the rest of the Angels offense can get it together and put up some runs.

Justin

• << <i>It flicks the bubble out of the needle or else it gets the bench again. >>

"It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again."
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Him dancing in front of the mirror still haunts me +/- 20 years later.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the OP can scratch out the "over the hill" option..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    First the suck fest that is the M's make the Red Sox look good, and now they brighten the spirits of the 37 year old Albert Poolhose. Ugh.
  • I don't give two Dubyas about the NL, so I'm a latecomer to the anti-Pujols party. But I will admit to, well, quite a bit of schadenfreude (joy at watching him stink) at both Pujols' and AFraud's stats. I will also admit that my guy, Ortiz, is every bit just as tainted as Pujols (allegedly) and Afraud (admittedly), but I will remind everyone that while Ortiz is thought of as being a modern day Gorman Thomas/Dave Kingman/Dave Henderson, nobody's fooling themselves by putting him in the same sentence as Sir Henry Aaron (did it with talent and class) or Babe Ruth (did it drunk and with a bellyful of beer and hotdogs).
    Whe all is said and done, I think Pujols will have a nice year similar to last year, but not much better.

To match last year, he has to put up the following slash line for the rest of this year .333/.412/.646, which he hasn't done in a season since 2009. Even assuming he DOES do that this year, I think the chances of him continuing what looks like a normal age-related decline over the next few years are pretty good. This contract is gonna pick up right where the GMJ, Hunter, and Wells deals leave off.

Even worse, his signing leaves them with a major dilemma - where to play Trumbo regularly. The guy has star written all over him, but the Angels have boxed themselves in and have no position for him.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    I think Trumbo is fine in RF. Doesn't have the speed I'd like to see out there, but neither did Vlady when he was there. If the Angels resign Hunter, then we'll have a problem with where to slot Trumbo. I love the Pujols > Morales > Trumbo area of the lineup.

Justin

<< <i>I think Trumbo is fine in RF. Doesn't have the speed I'd like to see out there, but neither did Vlady when he was there. If the Angels resign Hunter, then we'll have a problem with where to slot Trumbo. I love the Pujols > Morales > Trumbo area of the lineup.

Justin >>

On offense, I'd agree. But I think Trumbo "might" become fine in RF, but he's a 1B/DH most likely. If they thought he was a RF, I don't think they would have started the whole 3B experiment.
    ----------------------
    ----------------------

<< <i>

<< <i>I think Trumbo is fine in RF. Doesn't have the speed I'd like to see out there, but neither did Vlady when he was there. If the Angels resign Hunter, then we'll have a problem with where to slot Trumbo. I love the Pujols > Morales > Trumbo area of the lineup.

Justin >>

On offense, I'd agree. But I think Trumbo "might" become fine in RF, but he's a 1B/DH most likely. If they thought he was a RF, I don't think they would have started the whole 3B experiment. >>

Trumbo at third was at the beginning of spring training when Wells, Torii and Bourjas were inked in has the starting outfield. Trumbo has played some in the outfield in the minors, so he does have some experience. Wells is out 6-8 weeks, Torii coming back, Bourjas not hitting and Trout coming up and is here to stay. The outfiedl will probably be Torii in left and Trumbo in right (since he has a better arm than Torri) and Trout in center. When wells comes back he'll just have to be a 2-3 day a week guy. Trout and Tumbo must be in the line up (only two players hitting over 300) and Torii, Boujas and Wells can rotate the remaining spot

<< <i>

<< <i>

Justin >>

On offense, I'd agree. But I think Trumbo "might" become fine in RF, but he's a 1B/DH most likely. If they thought he was a RF, I don't think they would have started the whole 3B experiment. >>

Trumbo at third was at the beginning of spring training when Wells, Torii and Bourjas were inked in has the starting outfield. Trumbo has played some in the outfield in the minors, so he does have some experience. Wells is out 6-8 weeks, Torii coming back, Bourjas not hitting and Trout coming up and is here to stay. The outfiedl will probably be Torii in left and Trumbo in right (since he has a better arm than Torri) and Trout in center. When wells comes back he'll just have to be a 2-3 day a week guy. Trout and Tumbo must be in the line up (only two players hitting over 300) and Torii, Boujas and Wells can rotate the remaining spot >>

That's probably the best OF lineup given the available pieces. BTW, Trumbo racked up about 95 chances in the minors as a OF. Just sayin'
    ----------------------
    ----------------------