Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2012 REA auction

Comments

• Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>hahahahaha...

it would be hard to imagine that this case does not include a generous supply of Mint 9s and Gem Mint 10s of every player in the set >>

"This case was purchased by our consignor in 1973 and has been carefully stored in unopened form for the past thirty-nine years!"
    Carefully stored?!? image

• Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I like the 59 Bazooka uncut sheet. Never won anything. No bargains here.
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 824 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    For some resaon, I was unable to bid? Well before the auction closed it said I was unable to bid, that something was not enabled! I have bid with them before, and purchased from many auction houses. I get their catalog, and I was able to login with my password. There was not anything tragic, but certainly a few very cool lots I wanted.

Oh well, the world telling me to slow down my card therapy!!!!!!!!!
    1911 C55 hockey
    1935 National Chicle
    1961 Golden Press
    1962 Bell Brand Dodgers
    Top 200 cards in the hobby
    Top 250 cards in the hobby
    All time lakers
    All time Dodgers
    1957 Disney Characters
    1965 Donruss Disneyland
    1966 Get Smart
    Brian
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Love that 1971 topps baseball set too!

Linky >>

Thanks for the Link.I am ordering a catalog for future auctions.NICE STUFF!!
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    BIGBEN7BIGBEN7 Posts: 393 ✭✭
    I was bidding on two lots. Stargell rookie contract and the Stargell game used bat. I am out on both. The rookie contract is already at $8000 and the bat is $3750 before the juice. The contract estimate was $1500 and the bat was $2500. REA gets crazy prices for their lots. Both of those lots are way above retail and you will never be able to get your money back if you decide to sell.
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>REA gets crazy prices for their lots. Both of those lots are way above retail and you will never be able to get your money back if you decide to sell. >>

Unless you consign it again thru REA!! :-p
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone ever feel like they received a VERY good deal in a REA auction? >>

I've won a number of unique items from them over the past eight years, and have been happy with both the prices paid and the additions to my collection.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Their estimates are a joke and always way under realistic value. In some of the descriptions, they say what the SMR is, and then the estimate is sometimes 20-50% below that. It's actually kind of annoying.
    Here's but one example of that...SMR $5000, estimate $2000-3000:
    Mantle RC

Someone was really estimating a 1951 Bowman Mickey Mantle PSA 6 was going to go for $2000? Why even bother writing that?

That being said, because it's a once a year auction and they're so highly respected, they do tend to get 20+% over market value for most things. But I did see a few more items that could go for "value" this year than in years past. There are still hours to go...so you never know.
  • Options
    Their estimates are a joke
    ==> they create super low estimates to protect themselves against lawsuits...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    These auctions needs to end already - this is silly.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>These auctions needs to end already - this is silly. >>

Guys bidding big bucks for picture of guys on cardboard is silly too, but we do it anyway.

Good luck on the auctions Jeff!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, this is nothing, last one ended at about 3 am..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Very true, Mike!

I'm just anxious. I'm usually outbid way before now, but I'm currently the top bidder on three items. I may need a second job tomorrow if I wake up victorious.
    Jeff
  • Options
    I start bidding at 1am...
    the bidding pace is picking up though
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    how does that Wagner not have an MK qualifier? it's got a date stamp on the reverse and another mark on the front.

the PSA 2 recently sold should have been a PSA 1.
  • Options
    how does that Wagner not have an MK qualifier?
    ==> agreed
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    100 bids in last 10 minutes again
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    waverleewaverlee Posts: 104

<< <i>Their estimates are a joke
    ==> they create super low estimates to protect themselves against lawsuits... >>

Mr. Probstein, can you please explain how they are protecting themselves from lawsuits by creating super low estimates? Please, I really want to know.
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    I SOOO badly want to pull the trigger on that 71 Topps set...still might
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    Just ended.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    gah. was underbidder on this one..

1890 Mayo Boxing Set

Anyone get anything cool?
  • Options
    final bid:

4:09:25 AM
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    I bid premiums on two lots and STILL managed to get outbid at 3:00 am in the morning. I am SOOO not a fan of auctions that drag out into all hours of the night...seems to turn the auction into an "which coast can outlast the other coast" contest then.
  • Options
    Good morning, friends! I somehow managed to win three items. I'm pretty darn excited. Anybody else have any luck?
    Jeff
  • Options
    See above post/.....
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Got BLOWN OUT on all my bids,

if anyone won lot 1090: 172 autographed 1952 topps cards I am interested in a few
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff if you can post the item number or the link to the items you won.

Some huge money spent in total on these auctions. I have to think it is deep in the millions.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Good morning, friends! I somehow managed to win three items. I'm pretty darn excited. Anybody else have any luck? >>

WTG Jeff ... good luck on landing that second and third job~
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    I think at the end, it was people just bidding to say that they won something from REA. If it ever came time for you to sell anything you won last night, and you didn't recosign it back thru REA, I just don't see how it is possible to recoup the money bidders spent on their purchases? Maybe that is the one advantage to having only a once a year auction from a well-respected dealer such as Rob Lifson.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    "Total auction proceeds were $9.56 million. A remarkable 23,781 bids were placed. 1631 out of the 1639 lots sold (99.51%). An incredible 665 different winners took home at least one lot"
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting that total. I would have to say that REA is pleased with that number with 18.50% commission that is a nice take.

• Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    Am I reading the final auction correct that the 1971 set went for "only" $16,000??
  • Options
    I was honestly hoping to win one of these auctions, but I'm blown away that I ended up winning three. I was bidding on four different cards in the auction - and only lost out on one item (1926 Spalding Babe Ruth - PSA 8). The bids I won with were placed well before midnight last night - so I wasn't sure what would happen with them overnight.

1910-1911 M116 Sporting Life (Blue Background) Honus Wagner - SGC 50 (I've wanted to own a Honus Wagner card since I was little. It's not "the" Honus, but it's "a" Honus...and I've been watching this card for a while.)
    1910-1911 M116 Sporting Life (Blue Background) Ty Cobb - SGC 70 (I'm a fan of this set - and the Blue background cards seem to fetch a nice premium over the pastel backgrounds.)
    1929 Rogers Peet #34 Ty Cobb - SGC 88 (I needed this card for my Rogers Peet set, and I felt like it was a great price for the grade.)

I'd love to hear what other board members won, as I know they'll put my haul to shame. Now please excuse me while I search the classified ads for a second job.

Jeff
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭

I won lot 511. they are shipping orders at no costs. that's nice, not sure if they advertised the free shipping.
  • Options

<< <i>I won lot 511. they are shipping orders at no costs. that's nice, not sure if they advertised the free shipping. >>

I saw that, too. They're covering shipping and insurance on all domestic orders.
    Jeff
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    The 71 set went for 16k. The next bid, with juice, would have been right at 20k. The aggregate vcp was 21,200, just no room unless you were buying to hold or did very well on reviews.

I did win the 76 basketball 10 set lot and the 84 football factory set case
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>Am I reading the final auction correct that the 1971 set went for "only" $16,000?? >>

I had left it alone as I really thought it would have gone closer to 19/20.

Someone got a great deal IMO.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options

<< <i>Someone got a great deal IMO. >>

Agreed.
    Jeff
  • Options
    wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree very nice buy by somebody, Greg Bussineau sold a 1971 set last year that had a GPA of 8.33 that sold for about 20% over SMR including the juice, it had a lot of 9's and some 10's which is why it may have commanded such a premium, so basically a straight 8 set commanded no premium at all based upon this sale. Interesting.
  • Options
    Hey Jeff nice wins. I picked this one up from a previos REA auction (which I probably overpaid for):

• Options

<< <i>Hey Jeff nice wins. I picked this one up from a previos REA auction (which I probably overpaid for):

image >>

Thanks YOU, Jeff. I've been researching some vintage baseball sets to collect - and I really like the M116's. I need to diversify my collection a little - it was getting far too boxing heavy.
    Jeff
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hey Jeff nice wins. I picked this one up from a previos REA auction (which I probably overpaid for):

image >>

Thanks YOU, Jeff. I've been researching some vintage baseball sets to collect - and I really like the M116's. I need to diversify my collection a little - it was getting far too boxing heavy. >>

When I heard you won 3 auctions, I figured they were boxing off the bat so perception and reality actually matched up for a change. Those are some great cards you won Jeff. Congrats!!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Those are some great cards you won Jeff. Congrats!!!! >>

Agreed - great wins!
  • Options
    I appreciate it guys! Its a big Mother's Day for me image The Wagner is my single biggest purchase to date. I've been looking for a few cards that I can hang onto long term - and (after a little research) I felt comfortable going after these cards.

I'm dying to see some of the other board pick-ups. Where's Probstein in all of this?
    Jeff
  • Options
    Where's Probstein in all of this?
    ==> no worries....you'll see some super high end inventory soon enough....
    one of my consignors dropped over 100K and another spent close to 100...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123

• Options
    Stop the teasing, Rick!
    Jeff
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Am I reading the final auction correct that the 1971 set went for "only" $16,000?? >>

With BP its more like $19,200.

FOr what it's worth the current VCP average for the set was around $21,400

Dave
  • Options
    WondoWondo Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭
    I got the T200 set - great way to get Cobb, Jackson, Thorpe and others for a fraction of individual card prices. Anybody got upgrades? image
    Wondo