Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

2012 REA auction

I received my catalog today in the mail. Talk about a kid in a candy store. This selection blows my mind. Anybody got their eye on any lots? I'm watching quite a few.
Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
Jeff

Comments

• The day bidding opened I placed a half dozen fairly strong bids. Within 48 hours I was outbid on three and bid to my limit on the other half. Looks like I'm just going to have to pick one lot and go all in.
  • thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    I'm watching the 1968 Topps 3D Clemente, but only for fun. I'd have to pimp myself out for years to afford it.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW that 3d Clemente is going to bring huge money.
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    Can anyone guess on what the cost to produce and then UPS that 5 lb. catalog to everyone cost REA?
    PackManInNC
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone guess on what the cost to produce and then UPS that 5 lb. catalog to everyone cost REA? >>

I was wondering this same thing. It's literally thicker than the yellow pages.
    Jeff
  • I have no idea what the final total of the auctions will be, but let's 4-5 million. Maybe .5%/1% cost for the catalogs, that's only 25K to 50K in cost.

Putting that catalog in front of bidders will net them more than the cost of the expense by having more bids.

My numbers could be way off, just an example.
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone guess on what the cost to produce and then UPS that 5 lb. catalog to everyone cost REA? >>

Last year I consigned some stuff to Rob, and I remember him saying during one of our conversations that (last year) REA spent around $100K just on the postage for those "catalogues."

They go all out with their descriptions and pics, but they always have great stuff to bid on, and they bring in great prices.

• Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love that 1971 topps baseball set too!

Linky
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    There are a few different complete 1954 Topps baseball sets that look pretty sweet.

• << <i>I have no idea what the final total of the auctions will be, but let's 4-5 million. Maybe .5%/1% cost for the catalogs, that's only 25K to 50K in cost.

Putting that catalog in front of bidders will net them more than the cost of the expense by having more bids.

My numbers could be way off, just an example. >>

Last year they almost hit 10 million in sales if I recall correctly. BP is 17.5% and I don't recall if there is a seller's premium. I'd say Rob does ok for himself even with the shipping and printing costs.
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

Gotta cost at least $250 or so......

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never mucked with auction houses ...
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Love that 1971 topps baseball set too!

Linky >>

I'll be watching this auction as well, because an all-8 PSA set from 71 is what I have been working on for a few years now. I've been wondering what current value of a complete set would be.
  • mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭
    I spoke to REA a little while ago and they said the cost was well over $100K.
    PackManInNC

<< <i>Love that 1971 topps baseball set too!

Linky >>

What do you think an item like that will end at, Mike?

Jeff
  • halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, I pulled up your site for the first time. Well done
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards

<< <i>Jeff, I pulled up your site for the first time. Well done >>

Thanks for checking it out. It needs some new rips, BAD!
    Jeff
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • wrightywrighty Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭
    My guess on the 1971 set would be just shy of $30,000
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    REA ships at least 10,000 catalogs. At an average cost of $10 each, that's $100,000...some no doubt cost more.
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Got mine today and all I can say is WOW. Just leafed through but it looks incredible. Heck, this could be a nice coffee table book.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My guess on the 1971 set would be just shy of $30,000 >>

I was going to say $25k, but given the old flips, who knows?
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone get a catalog shipped to them and are they free to get?
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • I hate there layout. They need more categories. If you want just hockey then have a just hockey etc....
    Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    My right arm developed a nerve compression palsy after holdiing the catalog for 2 hours.
    Capecards
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can anyone get a catalog shipped to them and are they free to get? >>

Yeah...just go to their website and you can get on the mailing list.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Can anyone get a catalog shipped to them and are they free to get? >>

Yeah...just go to their website and you can get on the mailing list.

Mark >>

I don't think you specifically have to look for a mailing list, at least I never did. I registered and bid on 1 item last year and was automatically mailed a book within about a week last year. They also sent me one this year.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • I love browsing the catalog every year . I didnt get this years though . Wish i did .
    A collector of all things Braves
    Always looking for Chipper Jones cards.
    Im a very focused collector of cards from 1909 - 2012...LOL
  • mcadamsmcadams Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭
    The catalog is cool to read, but it would be better if it were organized somehow. Oldest to newest maybe? Anything would be better than the randomness of the current book.

I looked up a few items Thursday online. Didn't appear to be any bargains for sure. The few things I was intested in were already bid up to 1.5 - 2.5x the estimate.
    Successful transactions with: thedutymon, tsalems1, davidpuddy, probstein123, lodibrewfan, gododgersfan, dialj, jwgators, copperjj, larryp, hookem, boopotts, crimsontider, rogermnj, swartz1, Counselor

Always buying Bobby Cox inserts. PM me.
  • I think we are going to see lots of record highs on Vintage, Modern, low Pop cards.

There are so many auctions coming up. And your right a lot of the auctions seem to be bid up quite a bit already.

Will be fun to watch. I have my eye on one card for right now...
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
    I'm currently the high bidder on three items, with 5 hours to go. I'm not sure I'm in enough to win them, though.

Anybody else go after an item?
    Jeff
  • I'm going after a particular lot - was just outbid this morning. Debating if I should bid again at this point.

<< <i>I'm going after a particular lot - was just outbid this morning. Debating if I should bid again at this point. >>

I'm in a similar situation with a card I can't stop thinking about!
    Jeff
  • mknezmknez Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭
    I'm still winning one lot, not sure if it will hold on though.

------
    stupid print dots

How does their bidding system work exactly? It sounds like as long as you've bid during the initial round - you're able to bid again after this first round ends.
    Jeff
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>How does their bidding system work exactly? It sounds like as long as you've bid during the initial round - you're able to bid again after this first round ends. >>

On that same item, yes.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Thanks Grote!

Here's what I found on the site:
    "The final day of bidding for all Lots is Saturday, May 12, 2012. Bids may be placed at any time prior to 4:00 PM EDT, May 12, 2012. The auction is scheduled to close at 4:00 PM EDT on May 12, 2012, HOWEVER, we will continue to accept bids after 4:00 PM EDT on all lots in the auction until approximately 15 minutes pass without either a phone or internet bid. IF YOU HAVE NOT BID ON AN ITEM BEFORE 4:00 PM, YOU CANNOT BID ON IT AFTER 4:00 PM.To ensure that everyone can get through to bid, we will remain open for bids until approximately fifteen minutes pass without a bid. If the line is busy, we are still accepting calls. This system is designed to reward bidders, not the person who can stay up the latest. If the auction continues to as late as 11 P.M. EDT on May 12, 2012, Robert Edward Auctions reserves the right to close the auction, at its sole discretion, at any time. We recommend bidders leave maximum left bids utilizing Robert Edward Auctions’ “Honest Auto-Bid” system to avoid disappointment. There will be no warning as to exactly when we will close the auction should bidding continue past 11:00 P.M. EDT. We do not anticipate the auction to remain open past 3:00 A.M. EDT (technically the morning of May 13, 2012). This closing system is designed to reward bidders, and eliminate all strategies which needlessly encourage the auction to remain open many hours into the following day, potentially giving an advantage to bidders who have the ability to stay up the latest. When the auction is over, callers will be greeted with a message informing them that the auction is over, and a message will also appear on our website stating that all bidding is closed. All lots remain open for bidding until the close of the entire auction. All lots are closed simultaneously."
    Jeff
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of catalogs, how about the SCP catalog with the Dimitri Young collection. The slipcover is a really nice addition.
    I haven't seen it yet - when did they go out?
    Jeff
  • ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone ever feel like they received a VERY good deal in a REA auction? >>

I have yet to win any auctions with them, but I'm hoping my luck will change this afternoon. Have you had any good experiences? They always have my favorite selection of any of the major houses.
    Jeff
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    If anyone wins lot 665, I'd be interested in the Killebrew Bazooka box.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
    The additional fees associated with the auctions has turned me off in the past. Unfortunately, some of the items they offer is only available through major auction houses.
    Jeff
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    hahahahaha...

it would be hard to imagine that this case does not include a generous supply of Mint 9s and Gem Mint 10s of every player in the set

probably 40 of each, minimum.

I'm high bidder on a couple of items, not holding my breath though.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in on the graded 72 BB wax box, but the price now with buyer's premium is already above retail..must be a collector buying it because no money is to be made on that one..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

• << <i>I have yet to win any auctions with them, but I'm hoping my luck will change this afternoon. >>

This afternoon? I think you mean tomorrow morning.
  • waverleewaverlee Posts: 104
    I only bid on lots that came straight from the New York Public Library
  • There's something wrong with you Archaninator.