Home Sports Talk
Options

The Texas Rangers, from AL Champs to AL Chumps, turn out the lights, this party is over

thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
It's about that time. The back to back American League Champions begin their pursuit of the 2012 World Series title on Friday. Hopefully they don't pull a flop job like they did against the Giants in 2010, or a big league choke job like they did against the Cards in 2011. Maybe this season will have one more strike from Rangers relievers. The AL needs to get their stuff together for the All Star game this year and give the Rangers home field advantage in the World Series.

On a personal level, I'm excited about attempting to down the Rangers' newest ballpark cuisine, a $26 HUGE hotdog smothered in chili and all the fixins. I'm sure I'll post some pics from that attempt, LOL. If I can't do it, I'm sure my daughter, Maven, will be happy to help.

Go Rangers! Take care of business this year. 40 years of frustration is a LONG time.
Buying US Presidential autographs

Comments

• Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    Mike,

While I would love to partake in that AWESOME chili dog indulgence, I'm going to have to shatter your hopes of a penant this season. Angels are going to be division and league champs this year. image

Justin
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>On a personal level, I'm excited about attempting to down the Rangers' newest ballpark cuisine, a $26 HUGE hotdog smothered in chili and all the fixins. I'm sure I'll post some pics from that attempt, LOL. If I can't do it, I'm sure my daughter, Maven, will be happy to help. >>

Take a look at Mike's $26.00 Friggin Hot Dog
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>On a personal level, I'm excited about attempting to down the Rangers' newest ballpark cuisine, a $26 HUGE hotdog smothered in chili and all the fixins. I'm sure I'll post some pics from that attempt, LOL. If I can't do it, I'm sure my daughter, Maven, will be happy to help. >>

Take a look at Mike's $26.00 Friggin Hot Dog >>

I think I would rather eat the bat. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    There is a reason half of the fattest cities in America are in Texas. I think I'm getting indigestion just by looking at the photo of that thing.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    TreetopTreetop Posts: 1,474
    Rangers the team to beat and anxious to see how Yu Darvish pans out over the entire season. I think he'll start out strong and peeter out come late August / September. Rangers / Angels the two best teams in the AL (on paper right now)and like Justin, can't wait to see the Halos knock out the Rangers and regain control of the west.
    Link to my current Ebay auctions

"If I ever decided to do a book, I've already got the title-The Bases Were Loaded and So Was I"-Jim Fregosi
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    Things are big in Texas.

Perkdog's two twin towers were raised on a dairy farm near Flower Mound, TX
  • Options
    Nice start to a potential three-peat of the AL pennant. In order to go 162-0, you gotta win the first one image

Colby Lews threw 6 strong innings, Alexi nailed down the 7th, Adams nailed down the 8th, and Nasty Nathan sealed the deal in the 9th.

The bats weren't anything to brag about, but they got the job done.

Hello Win Column!

I've got split season tix with another family and they got the Sox series at our ticket "draft". Our ticket rep sent me codes to buy extra Opening Day tix before the public so I could go too, but I got busy at work that week and forgot until they went on public sale and sold out. Watched today from the comfort of my couch in the AC. Can't wait for Darvish's first start Monday, Maven and I will be at the ballpark for that one.
  • Options
    And the best stat of the day...Rangers sold 191 of those big hot dogs.

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Yu Darvish just got beat up by a not very good M's lineup.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it was a case of first game jitters, the guy will probably win 15 plus with a offense like that.
  • Options

<< <i>Yu Darvish just got beat up by a not very good M's lineup. >>

Perhaps some might see it like that, I was at the game and that wasn't my take. I saw a young man making his major league debut with intense fascination from his home country that he let get to him a little bit. I don't think I'm stepping off too far out onto the plank in saying that his future first innings for the most part aren't going to go like they did last night. 3 walks in the first inning along with a blooped Ichiro special and a couple scattered hits aren't exactly getting beat up. Especially when he settled in and pitched into the 6th and recorded his first big league win. I'll take the W and his performance, over a L and a one hitter ANY day. He pitched well enough to put his team into a position to win the game and they came through. The balls flying over the outfield fence were NOT from the bats of the Mariners.

Here's some bad quality camera phone pics. These are my new seats this year and I need to invest in a quality camera to take some good pics as I'm finally close enough to get some.

Here is Yu throwing his first major league pitch (a ball like the first several, image )

Here's Yu walking off the mound after being relieved of duty and in position to pick up his first W

And it wouldn't be a Rangers home game without a race of Texas Legends (that's Davy Crockett (defender of the Alamo) out in front of Sam Houston and James Bowie, He's got such a big lead in this shot that you can't even see them. Sometimes a large headed Nolan Ryan races with them too, LOL.)

• Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>I think it was a case of first game jitters, the guy will probably win 15 plus with a offense like that. >>

No doubt about that. No lead is safe in against that team, especially in that park!
  • Options
    Not a bad way to open the season. Rangers win again today to move to 5-2 on the year. Very easily could be 7-0 and probably should be 7-0 if they had a closer pitching competently right now. Joe Nathan is simply not getting the job done. I wonder how long his flops go on before Mike Adams takes his job?

Starting pitching has been stellar, defense has done well, and the bats are doing a good enough job to pick up w's. Every win right now counts just as much as every win in mid to late September. Keep putting distance between them and the currently underachieving Halos and let the chips fall where they may.

Go Rangers! Get IT done this year.

Mike
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey, don't underestimate the Mariners. I see HR records being broken..................for the least amount hit.image
  • Options
    Not a bad start to the first road trip of the season. A sweep of the Twins. Rangers have now been through the entire rotation twice. Rangers seem to have a good, solid ballclub this year. I realize they've played a bunch of putzes so far, but when you play putzes, you've got to beat putzes, and other then a couple Nathan blowups, they've done that. 8-2 after ten games. Best record in the AL. Keep it up guys. Bury them early and keep everyone else in your rear view mirror all year long.

• Options
    The Red Sox might be a bad baseball team, but it's always fun to watch the Rangers thrash the Red Sox or yankees. I think I counted 6 Rangers home runs but that may or may not be right, haven't checked the box score yet. 4-0 start to the first road trip. Would be nice to sweep the Sox as well, but who knows, we'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out. As long as the Rangers keep winning or splitting series, it should be another great year.

Detroit might take them to the woodshed this weekend in retribution for last year, but hopefully the Rangers will hold their own. Looking forward to my next game with tickets, next Wednesday night vs the yankees.

Mike
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say the Rangers are the team to beat this year. How's that for going out on a limb? Seriously, they just fill in the minor gaps (players) they need each year until they win the series, and this year I think they will win it. Should easliy win 100 games.
  • Options
    RoarIn84RoarIn84 Posts: 859 ✭✭
    Now that's a meatstick even John Holmes would be jealous of!!! $26??? nah.....

That was quite a clobbering of the Red Sox last night! Hopefully they get it all out of their system by the time they get to Detroit tomorrow!! I will be there. Should be a fine series.... I'll consider a split a success...
  • Options
    Rangers saved the Fenway maintenance staff a little work tonight, they swept the Red Sox and Bobby V. I hope for Bobby V's sake he gets his act together as I always enjoyed him when he managed the Rangers. Still occasionally eat at his restaurant down here as well. Don't know if he still plays any part in it, but it's still named Bobby V's and has great nachos!! Rangers on to Detroit and a lot better competition.

• Options
    Mother Nature put an end to tonight's potential fun. Doubleheader tomorrow against Detroit. Hopefully the bats stay charged up
  • Options
    Don't worry, they will. Texas should have no problem with the Tigers or any other team this year. I was at Thursday's game and all I could think was these Rangers have a hundred ways to beat you... If the bats go quiet (fat chance), the starters step up... If the starters don't have it, the bullpen is lights out... If baserunners are at a premium, they bunt and steal... Not to mention, every player excels at their defensive position. This may be THE most perfectly put together team I have ever seen or heard of. Was looking at the lineup before the rainout and Napoli was batting 8th. If you have that fierce of a lineup that Napoli has to hit 8th, then I wish opposing teams had a 'surrender' option like blackjack and you only lose half a game......
  • Options

<< <i>Don't worry, they will. Texas should have no problem with the Tigers or any other team this year. I was at Thursday's game and all I could think was these Rangers have a hundred ways to beat you... If the bats go quiet (fat chance), the starters step up... If the starters don't have it, the bullpen is lights out... If baserunners are at a premium, they bunt and steal... Not to mention, every player excels at their defensive position. This may be THE most perfectly put together team I have ever seen or heard of. Was looking at the lineup before the rainout and Napoli was batting 8th. If you have that fierce of a lineup that Napoli has to hit 8th, then I wish opposing teams had a 'surrender' option like blackjack and you only lose half a game...... >>

I hope you are right. I've been a Rangers fan my whole life so I've seen a LOT of crappy baseball. I can easily say that this edition of the Rangers, barring key injuries, should produce their best regular season ever. We all pretty much realize that the playoffs are basically an entirely different animal and I think they are built well for that as well (but then again I thought they would win the Series last year for sure, so I'm not the greatest judge of their ability image ) It's going to be a long season as I await the playoffs and hopefully Series run.
  • Options
    There will be no sweep in Detroit this weekend. Rangers rocked the Tigers in the 1st game today but in the 2nd, they blew a 3 hit complete game performance from last year's closer and this year's 5th starter Neftali Feliz. Rangers had 2 men on in the ninth but Elvis lined out to the warning track and Josh looked absolutely pitiful in striking out. Poor performance tonight.

The injury bug has begun to bite. Beltre left game one with a hamstring strain. Last year he missed 5 weeks with hamstring issues. He missed game 2 of the doubleheader and will miss tomorrow as well. After that he's supposedly day to day.

Mike
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The poor performance in the night game was induced by 6 innings of Verlander. With that being said the Tigers don't usually win games in which they only get three hits (all singles) and have their set up man and closer throw 64 pitches in two innings. I thought they were going to cough that game up for Verlander.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Nice way to wrap up the road trip. Rangers won on a suicide knees bunt compliments of Beltre's replacement. Finish the road trip with 8 wins and 1 loss, the best road trip in club history.

Next up is the vaunted yankees back in Arlington
  • Options
    And now they totally stole the finale after a guy "bunted" a ball off his knee for a run. Is this soccer now??? At least we didn't get swept......
  • Options
    jrt103jrt103 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭
    Surprised Leyland didn't get tossed for correctly arguing the knee bunt

Rangers are stacked though..
  • Options
    After Holland got battered last night, Yu Darvish stepped up tonight. What a fun game to watch. He dominated the mighty yankees. His pitches were breaking inside, outside, down, changes of speed, just a great performance. 8 1/3 innings, 0 runs, scattered 6 hits (I think) and 10 strikeouts. I'm not easily impressed, but that was an impressive outing. Rangers first shutout of the evil empire since 2000. Kinsler led off the game with a homer and that was all the scoring they needed to do. Rangers have not lost back to back regular season games since last August, LOL.

GO RANGERS!!!
  • Options
    Wow, not all Yankees are evil!!! An unidentified Yankee threw me this ball for Maven tonight at the game. After running it by the bomb sniffing dogs, I gave it to her and she was ecstatic. Quote from Maven while walking to the car after the Rangers victory, "You're the best daddy ever for catching me a ball." What a fun night, Rangers win and adoration from my daughter, doesn't get much better image

• Options
    Rangers just wrapped up April with a win against Toronto. Record stands at 17 and 6 with a couple of totally blown games in there. Right now they are the league leaders in batting average as well as ERA. That's a pretty good combo. The two rookie pitchers, Darvish and Ross are both 4-0 and it marks the first time in MLB history that two rookies with the same team both posted 4-0 records. Over the last 3 months of baseball (September and October of 2011, and April of 2012), the Rangers only have one losing streak and that was a two game streak. (unfortunately for them, it was Games 6 and 7 of the World Series). That's a pretty crazy streak spread out over 3 months of playing some fine baseball teams. (I think, that's not a stat I heard anywhere, I'm going by memory) I've watched a lot of baseball throughout my life and this team is one of the best I've seen. July 10th might be the most important game on the calendar for the Rangers and unfortunately, only a handful of them will get to play, the 2012 All Star Game. I think it would have helped a great deal over the last two World Series if the Rangers had home field advantage. Hopefully the AL can take care of business that game and give them home field in 2012. One month down, a few more to go. Fun season so far.

Mike
  • Options
    With both Beltre and Hamilton down with injuries, Rangers had their first losing streak in awhile the last couple of days. THey've now lost two in a row. The sky is falling, the sky is falling, the sky is falling, LOL. I'm not concerned about it and I doubt they are either. No loss today as they had an off day and are back in the States.

Mike
  • Options
    Go Josh! New American League record of 18 total bases in one game. Great night. Rangers take first two from Baltimore.

• Options
    Just got home from a season lowlight. Swept by the Royals. Was a fun night though. Who da thunk it? Maven and I encountered both David Crockett AND James Bowie. I didn't have a rookie to get signed, but they took pics with Maven.. image

and Nolan Ryan

and the great Sam Houston

• Options
    Rangers completed a sweep of the Jays today. Darvish recorded his 7th victory of the season. Rangers still have their largest lead of the season at 6.5 games and still have the best record in the AL. I guess success inevitably brings the bandwagon fans and it's a pain in the arse this year at the Ballpark with all the crowds. I've got my tickets already, so I don't have to worry about the games being sold out, but there is ALWAYS a line for food, restrooms, etc. and just simply to walk around you are always bumping into people. Aaarrgghhhh. Rangers have had injury problems this month and have lost Feliz for awhile, so it's nice to see them holding ground.

• Options
    Supposedly the Rangers have reached an agreement for the rest of the year with Roy Oswalt. Nice to have an ownership group now that will fill problem areas when they pop up. Hopefully Roy will make a good fifth starter.

Mike
  • Options
    ddfamfddfamf Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Nice to have an ownership group now that will fill problem areas when they pop up

Also to be read as "spend money" image
  • Options
    Great season so far. This team is stacked. Despite injuries that should be decimating the pitching staff, other arms have stepped in to fill the void. So far, the Rangers have withstood various injuries and illnesses of Neftali Feliz, Derek Holland, Alexi Ogando, Koji Uehara, Adrian Beltre, Ian Kinsler, Josh Hamilton, and Mitch Moreland amongst others. However, they just keep on ticking right along.

Maven and I have had a blast at the games this year. She likes to get there when the gates open to get autographs and baseballs, and I love spending time with my daughter at a place we both enjoy. Here's some pics from last Friday (I put them up on my signed glove thread on the main board, but I might as well add them here as well)

I've got tickets to 3 of the next 5 games as well, so it should be a great weekend of baseball. Chasing autographs and hopefully watching Roy Oswalt get a win in his Texas Rangers debut.

GO AMERICAN LEAGUE!! GET IT DONE IN THE ALL STAR GAME THIS YEAR
  • Options
    JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭
    The Rangers are playing well, but in the last couple series of interleague play the Rangers really haven't had to deal with many tough teams. Houston, San Diego, and now Colorado. The Angels have had to deal with the Dodgers in 6 games over the last two weeks. For some reason the Rangers are the only AL West team that were able to dodge the Dodgers in the schedule. After this Sunday's game, the Angels and the Dodgers will have faced each other in 9 games this season so far where as the Rangers have faced them in 0 games.

Can't wait for July, the Halos and the Rangers match up in 5 games splitting the home games.

What will be interesting is to see how the AL ROY chips fall this year. Between Darvish and Trout, the decision and the season leading up to the decision will be quite intriguing.

Justin
  • Options

<< <i>The Rangers are playing well, but in the last couple series of interleague play the Rangers really haven't had to deal with many tough teams. Houston, San Diego, and now Colorado. The Angels have had to deal with the Dodgers in 6 games over the last two weeks. For some reason the Rangers are the only AL West team that were able to dodge the Dodgers in the schedule. After this Sunday's game, the Angels and the Dodgers will have faced each other in 9 games this season so far where as the Rangers have faced them in 0 games.

Can't wait for July, the Halos and the Rangers match up in 5 games splitting the home games.

What will be interesting is to see how the AL ROY chips fall this year. Between Darvish and Trout, the decision and the season leading up to the decision will be quite intriguing.

Justin >>

Justin

Every team on the schedule is a major league team and capable of playing well any given night. Heck, the Dodgers that you mention just got swept by Oakland. Just have to win the ones on the schedule and let the rest of the chips fall where they may, I do agree that I'm ready to see the Rangers and Angels series in July. Those tend to be entertaining games to watch and can cause a big shift in the standings rather quickly in either direction. I hope the Angels continue to play decent baseball so it forces Texas to not get complacent. They need to play every game with a sense of urgency to capture home field for the playoffs

Trout is fun to watch. I enjoy watching players on any team that bring enthusiasm and that seem to enjoy the game, (well, almost any player, I don't particularly enjoying watching any NY Yankees)

Mike
  • Options
    Yes I know enjoying should be enjoy but autofill on the iPad got me
  • Options
    Roy Oswalt made his 2012 debut tonight and pitched 6 2/3 innings and gave up one earned run. Gave up several scattered hits, but the Rangers had enough runs with 2 outs in the first inning to get the job done. Hopefully he'll become another consistently good starter in the rotation.

Rangers won their 7th in a row tonight and are now at 17 over .500 with the best record in baseball. Traded away tomorrow's day game tix for a future set of "all you can eat" seats, LOL. Might have to make a trip to the tunnel though early in the AM to get graphs while they are in a good mood.

Mike
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Mike ~ The city of Arlington will fall head over heals in love with Roy. His work ethic and giving it all every outing will make you proud.

However, don't expect him to be personal or do a lot for the community, that's just not his thing. No one is perfect but when you watch him bust his tail, it will more than compensate his lack of personality.

Enjoy.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>Mike ~ The city of Arlington will fall head over heals in love with Roy. His work ethic and giving it all every outing will make you proud.

However, don't expect him to be personal or do a lot for the community, that's just not his thing. No one is perfect but when you watch him bust his tail, it will more than compensate his lack of personality.

Enjoy. >>

As long as he produces he can have whatever personality he wants as far as I'm concerned. Josh Hamilton was snippy at me yesterday for having the audacity to ask him for a graph (which I didn't get, LOL) , but as long as Josh keeps hitting, I'll keep cheering him. A couple of friends said Oswalt signed a few at the park today so that's encouraging from a fan interaction standpoint.
  • Options
    Him and Darvish should have no problem with my weak pussiecats coming to town... Assuming the Tigers don't make some kind of mad dash, my hopes are for Texas winning it all. I still say it is one of the best teams ever assembled. I admire Hamilton's fight thru ups and downs and Washington is just a great baseball guy with a ton of passion who has paid countless dues to get where he is. Ryan too!!
  • Options
    Tonight yielded a late inning come from behind win against the A's. Great game to watch. Harrison notched his 11th win. Rangers have a 5.5 game lead against the Halos. Rangers are at a season and league high of 20 games over .500. This is the latest point in the season that the Texas franchise has lhad the best record in MLB.

Rangers continue to overcome the loss of 6 pitchers to the disabled list. There is no other team in baseball that could withstand that level of decimation to their staff and still excel.

The most important game of the year coming up soon, the All Star Game. AL needs to get it done this year. Hopefully Harrison, Verlander, and Darvish can be super sharp for a couple innings apiece and Ross can bridge the gap to Joe Nathan for a save. For one night, I will be a huge fan of the Yankees, Red Sox, Halos, White Sox, etc. I sure wish the Rangers could borrow Verlander for one night and use their regular position players vs the NL. For one game, I'd rather have that then have a team of superstars playing that don't care if they win or lose

• Options
    Martin Perez stepped right in to the rotation and got a W in his starting debut. That's the Rangers 9th straight victory for pitchers making their 1st big league start. Lead over Halos up to 6.5 games. If memory serves me correctly. I believe that's the Rangers biggest lead of the year over the 2nd place squad (I think it ties it). First time in the Rangers' 40 year history that they've been the first team in the majors to notch 50 wins. Good season so far. Maven and I will be headed out to BP in a bit. Hoping the autograph projects continue to go well. Our goal for tonight is Oswalt, Kirkman, or Ogando.

Mike
  • Options
    Congrats to Mike Napoli, Adrian Beltre, Josh Hamilton, Matt Harrison, Joe Nathan, Ian Kinsler, and Elvis Andrus for their selections to the 2012 All Star Game.

Would have been great to have 8 and have Yu instead of CJ Wilson. Yes, I know CJ deserved it more from a performance standpoint, but as far as I'm concerned, I wish him nothing but mediocrity for the rest of his career unless he ends up with the Rangers again at some point in the future. Dude choked it up for a couple of years in the playoffs and World Series when the Rangers needed to count on him, and then he hit the road the first chance he got.

Mike
  • Options
    Wow, the Sox are putting a beat down on Oswalt. Balls flying all over the ballpark. He gave up 3 homers in the first inning, LOL. Already 5 to 0 in the 2nd.
  • Options
    I think I might actually go get some dessert instead of continuing to watch the game. Good thing Maven is at play rehearsal as she is a much tougher critic than I am. 16 to 0 and it's only in the 5th!!!! At this rate, they are going to beat the Rangers 28 to 0. I hope they do and that it's some sort of record. Go, Sox, Go!!! Get it all out of y'alls system tonight image
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Congrats to Mike Napoli, Adrian Beltre, Josh Hamilton, Matt Harrison, Joe Nathan, Ian Kinsler, and Elvis Andrus for their selections to the 2012 All Star Game.

Would have been great to have 8 and have Yu instead of CJ Wilson. Yes, I know CJ deserved it more from a performance standpoint, but as far as I'm concerned, I wish him nothing but mediocrity for the rest of his career unless he ends up with the Rangers again at some point in the future. Dude choked it up for a couple of years in the playoffs and World Series when the Rangers needed to count on him, and then he hit the road the first chance he got.

Mike >>

Napoli on the All star squad? Is his defense that good? I dont know as I dont watch the Rangers but I do have him on my fantasy squad and he is horrible at the plate this year, .234 BA with 80+ K's