Home U.S. Coin Forum

Diane Sawyer, on U.S. cent...

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
Did anybody see the ABC NEWS, on Friday? With this exposure, the old Lincoln is "doomed" for sure I think! ABC was going through the whole scenario about how many they punch out,and of course, the silly overspend on the metal, compared to the face value of the cent. 2.5 cents to every cent. Like I said,"It's Doomed"!image Let's VOTE!!! I say,Yes! Keep!

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good, let's kill the dollar bill as well. The ragbuck's biggest defender, Ted Kennedy, is no longer with us.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree.. cent and dollar out... use the hard dollar coins. There are enough cents out there to last another twenty years in commerce. Heck, you cannot even buy penny candy anymore. Cheers, RickO
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Diane Sawyer, on U.S. cent >>

Diane Sawyer as Miss Liberty would be an improvement over what we have now.

Get rid of the cent and nickel, there is no need for them. They are concerned that it will cause inflation, but at this point the wasted taxpayer dollars outweigh the slight inflation risk.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭

I believe that might actually qualify as an oxymoron.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without the cent would all cash purchases be rounded up to 5c ?
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    The main news/traffic/weather radio stations in DC also ran a commentary on following Canada - maybe we are there. He even mentioned that a coin collector could show you an old half cent phased out and not missed...
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Without the cent would all cash purchases be rounded up to 5c ? >>

Yeah,until they take away the good ole nickle.... and so on and so forth...

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I believe that might actually qualify as an oxymoron"

Ok, Laura Ingraham or Sarah Palin might be a better choice.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Five years television free. She was an attractive woman, as I recall.

<< <i>Diane Sawyer as Miss Liberty would be an improvement over what we have now.

Ok, Laura Ingraham or Sarah Palin might be a better choice. >>

I think Sara Palin would be better. She has a pretty strong jawline and that would work better for the brave Miss Liberty.
  • scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Why would they? There are so many out there now, they just need to use current inventory!
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose so. How much extra would that end up costing the average consumer? I know there are many for whom it would be trivial, but there are probably just as many for whom it might be a burden.
    So I raise my sales tax to 10% or drop it to 5%.
    I'm sure it's covered in the Health Care Bill.
  • JBNJBN Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Five years television free. She was an attractive woman, as I recall. >>

Good for you!!!

I went for almost all of the 80s without a TV.

With HD and surround sound, watching movies makes TV worthwhile. DVRs are great in that the viewer's time is no longer wasted by commercials.

For the topic: No decision is likely this year (its an election year after all), but economics will likely prevail in the not-too-distant future, and the cent coin will be gone.
    Thanks JBN. On the subject of the cent, my mom (RIP) always taught me: "If you mind your cents, your dollars will mind themselves"
    So if this teaching is true and I don't mind the cents, who will mind the dollars ? Just pondering since television isn't occupying my space image

The shop is dead. I should just go golfing.
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    That's an old one: "Take care of the pence and the pounds will take care of themselves."
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Get rid of the cents,dimes,dollars, and 2 dollar bill.

We are getting to be a cashless society anyway.

<< <i>That's an old one: "Take care of the pence and the pounds will take care of themselves." >>

... and a good one, too.
    That reminds me of a little poem I heard when visiting Australia last year.

In other news
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Diane Sawyer as Miss Liberty would be an improvement over what we have now.

I think Sara Palin would be better. She has a pretty strong jawline and that would work better for the brave Miss Liberty. >>

• itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    << Without the cent would all cash purchases be rounded up to 5c ? >>

No - to the nearest 5 cents.

2 of 5 round up
    2 of 5 round down
    1 is already on the nearest 5 cents!!

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • RebelRonRebelRon Posts: 544 ✭✭

• << <i>

Why would they? There are so many out there now, they just need to use current inventory! >>

That won't happen , the 1c will no longer be legal tender and you'll get a certain amount of time to get rid of them at banks etc or spend them.It's already been mentioned about the huge profits the mint makes on other items yet the focus is on making even more at the publics expense.It'll be fun to hear the same people whinging a year down the line that were first to say get rid of the cent and it will occur , cos people like to whinge.
  • I don't like the idea of rounding transactions, and I like the extra precision for currency conversion purposes. With this said, why doesn't the U.S. Mint adopt a "strike as needed" policy? There are enough cents and nickels, we should not need more for at least a decade. If and when production resumed, the mint could chose a comparable weight composite material for the new pieces.
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yeah,until they take away the good ole nickle.... and so on and so forth... >>

Then what happens when they factor in tax? Will that be rounded up to the nearest 5c as well?
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A neat topic, which of course starts getting politcal part way into this thread. I'm sure it will all be paid for by all the guns that will be confiscated, along with the gold holdings of every private citizen dead or alive. imageimageimage I've actually heard these quotes from many a coin show i've attended over the past 30+ years.
  • ResRes Posts: 1,086

<< <i>I don't like the idea of rounding transactions, and I like the extra precision for currency conversion purposes. With this said, why doesn't the U.S. Mint adopt a "strike as needed" policy? There are enough cents and nickels, we should not need more for at least a decade. If and when production resumed, the mint could chose a comparable weight composite material for the new pieces. >>

Every time you buy gas, the transaction is rounded.
  • tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand Diane Sawyer anymore. She used to be a decent reporter. Now all she does is add "fluff" to the news, introduce someone else reporting a story, and then come up with some moronic "thank you for that interesting piece" or similar comment.

I didn't see her regarding the cent story, but I'll guess it was "back to you, Diane", followed by some vapid comment about her remembering a time in her youth when there used to be "penny candy".....

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of transactions don't need to be rounded since they don't involve physical change/money. It would seem that the best thing would be to have some sort of prepaid card like a gift card that can be scanned and the fractional part of a cash transaction just be deducted from it.
  • 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I can't stand Diane Sawyer anymore. She used to be a decent reporter. Now all she does is add "fluff" to the news, introduce someone else reporting a story, and then come up with some moronic "thank you for that interesting piece" or similar comment.

I didn't see her regarding the cent story, but I'll guess it was "back to you, Diane", followed by some vapid comment about her remembering a time in her youth when there used to be "penny candy".....

image >>

...i guess you didn't see her in the post above, eh dave? image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's get rid of the federal reserve first.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should bring back the half-cent, but make it a gold coin.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • <<That won't happen , the 1c will no longer be legal tender and you'll get a certain amount of time to get rid of them at banks etc or spend them.It's already been mentioned about the huge profits the mint makes on other items yet the focus is on making even more at the publics expense.It'll be fun to hear the same people whinging a year down the line that were first to say get rid of the cent and it will occur , cos people like to whinge.>>

All coins and currency, whenever issued, of the USA are legal tender for all debts. Why should the cent be any different.

Speaking of sayings - here is my mother's of many decades ago. "Never break a dollar - too quickly gone."
    Tha was a self fufilling prophecy as she tried to make every purchase out of her change purse.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i><<That won't happen , the 1c will no longer be legal tender and you'll get a certain amount of time to get rid of them at banks etc or spend them.It's already been mentioned about the huge profits the mint makes on other items yet the focus is on making even more at the publics expense.It'll be fun to hear the same people whinging a year down the line that were first to say get rid of the cent and it will occur , cos people like to whinge.>>

All coins and currency, whenever issued, of the USA are legal tender for all debts. Why should the cent be any different.

Speaking of sayings - here is my mother's of many decades ago. "Never break a dollar - too quickly gone."
    Tha was a self fufilling prophecy as she tried to make every purchase out of her change purse. >>

To update the saying it's "don't break a twenty" now.

Of course it's hard to do when a tank of gas is $80 and they hate cash.
    Tempus fugit.
    A guy came into the shop. He sold me his silver , but insisted on keeping his pennies. It's the darndest thing.
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    I missed the linky to her the first time, but after watching it, stand by my assessment of her "reporting" talents. They probably cut that video short before we could see them going back to her for some inanely uninsightful comment.

As for those "People for Common Cents", who appear just to be a shill set-up fr the lone Zinc producer, and those people at the Lincoln Foundation, or whatever it was....... how anyone today can justify minting cents at such a finacial loss is beyond me. If we'll miss Abe so much, let's just put him on the next round of golden dollars or whatever.......

One last comment about that ABC news story................ was anyone else shocked to see them let the reporter grab an armful of cents from the bin & let them run thru his fingers? Wouldn't it be nice to get a fresh UNC roll or a Proof set with his fingerprints all over the pennies?!imageimage

- - Daveimage

...image
    If we'll miss Abe so much, let's just put him on the next round of golden dollars or whatever.......

Didn't we just put him on just about everything that came out of the Mint?
  • "As for those "People for Common Cents", who appear just to be a shill set-up fr the lone Zinc producer, and those people at the Lincoln Foundation, or whatever it was....... how anyone today can justify minting cents at such a finacial loss is beyond me. If we'll miss Abe so much, let's just put him on the next round of golden dollars or whatever."

Why is the big interest in saving the mint money ? In the long run they are not losing money in the grand schemes of currency as far as i know. I can't help see it as the people being systematically plundered. The gold for paper , the withdrawel of silver and now the copper,that began in 82.It won't end with the loss of the cent , you'll get your tin coins yet image

<< <i>"As for those "People for Common Cents", who appear just to be a shill set-up fr the lone Zinc producer, and those people at the Lincoln Foundation, or whatever it was....... how anyone today can justify minting cents at such a finacial loss is beyond me. If we'll miss Abe so much, let's just put him on the next round of golden dollars or whatever."

Why is the big interest in saving the mint money ? In the long run they are not losing money in the grand schemes of currency as far as i know. I can't help see it as the people being systematically plundered. The gold for paper , the withdrawel of silver and now the copper,that began in 82.It won't end with the loss of the cent , you'll get your tin coins yet image >>

...or steel. image
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"As for those "People for Common Cents", who appear just to be a shill set-up fr the lone Zinc producer, and those people at the Lincoln Foundation, or whatever it was....... how anyone today can justify minting cents at such a finacial loss is beyond me. If we'll miss Abe so much, let's just put him on the next round of golden dollars or whatever."

Why is the big interest in saving the mint money ? In the long run they are not losing money in the grand schemes of currency as far as i know. I can't help see it as the people being systematically plundered. The gold for paper , the withdrawel of silver and now the copper,that began in 82.It won't end with the loss of the cent , you'll get your tin coins yet image >>

We are wasting resources. One man wants to save the planet by putting a yoke on industry and another wants to sell his zinc for the highest possible price.

Some actually want to do both while it's possible for neither to make sense.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Why not just stamp em 2.5c and call them half nickels.
    Simple!
  • <<In the long run they are not losing money in the grand schemes of currency as far as i know. I can't help see it as the people being systematically plundered. The gold for paper , the withdrawel of silver and now the copper,that began in 82.It won't end with the loss of the cent , you'll get your tin coins yet >>

Have you priced tin lately?
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

That coin is horrible -- makes her look like Granny from Beverly Hillbillies.

<< <i>I can't stand Diane Sawyer anymore. She used to be a decent reporter. Now all she does is add "fluff" to the news, introduce someone else reporting a story, and then come up with some moronic "thank you for that interesting piece" or similar comment.

image >>

image Yeah, yer right ! Bring back Charles Gibson.image It might be a little late on saying this but when I started this thread,typing,"Diane Sawyer,on U.S. cent..." I didn't mean, that to replace honest Abe's portrait with Diane's! After reading a few times, I guessed some of you thought that I was going there but I wasn't! Perish the thought.Sorry, to mislead anyone!Thanks for your posts.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diane Sawyer was once an intern for Richard Nixon.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Interesting!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file