Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2011 ASE DDO in 25th Anniv. Sets

I just saw this listing on Variety Vista for a 2011 DDO in the 25th Anniv. Sets discovered by board member Harry779. Has anyone else here found any of these?

2011 $1 ASE DDO-001

Comments

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just saw this listing on Variety Vista for a 2011 DDO in the 25th Anniv. Sets discovered by board member Harry779. Has anyone else here found any of these?

2011 $1 ASE DDO-001 >>

You need an electron microscope to find/see something that minor. Totally unimpressive imho.
  • Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you...I was just going to call my Optometrist to get new glasses....

Edited to add: just for my info....what would make this a "variety" and not make the MUCH more obvious "machine doubling" on the Yellowstone 5 ounce puck also a "variety" . Is the the random occurrence of the doubling????
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, minor, but how many ASE doubled dies to you see? I think its great!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only see a 'possible' split serif on the 'B' and the 'I'.... interesting but sure is a borderline call. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    frnklnlvrfrnklnlvr Posts: 2,750

<< <i>Yes, minor, but how many ASE doubled dies to you see? I think its great! >>

That's why I posted this. I knew there would be little interest in such a minor variety.

The doubling shows best on GOD, TRUST, date, and the lower gown.
  • Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭
    I think I'm seeing this doubling on one of my 2011 25th Anniversary ASEs. One can pick up some hint of the doubling (e.g., on the rays around the 'L') with the naked eye (well, at least if you are horribly near-sighted like me), though I'm not sure if I'm seeing any split serifs even with magnification. Could this be from worn dies or strike doubling?

Here are some closeups from a 2011 ASE from the set:

Very interestingly, I am seeing the same or similar features on the 2011-S ASE from the same set! Please have a look:

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they need requirements such as the DDO should be visible by eye vs needing a microscope
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think they need requirements such as the DDO should be visible by eye vs needing a microscope >>

No way, man, then what could be printed in the Coin World articles and Numismatic News articles? image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    That's pretty minor. It might have one thing going for it, that's being the only variety so far on that issue.

<< <i>
    Edited to add: just for my info....what would make this a "variety" and not make the MUCH more obvious "machine doubling" on the Yellowstone 5 ounce puck also a "variety" . Is the the random occurrence of the doubling????
    >>

Machine doubled coins are caused by the planchet being hit again (or chatter from something loose) when the coins are struck so they can be similar or random.

On doubled die coins the die has doubling so every coin from that die will have the same doubling. It's caused when the die was made not when the coin was struck. They use many dies so only the coins from that die will be doubled dies.

It has nothing to do with magnitude, it has to do with the cause. The magnitude will change the interest level so a minor doubled die may have a low value even though it is truly a doubled die. In most series there are hundreds or thousands of very minor doubled dies. For the most part the big ones get the big premiums.
    Ed
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I only see a 'possible' split serif on the 'B' and the 'I'.... interesting but sure is a borderline call. Cheers, RickO >>

James has classified it as: DDO-001, 1-O-VI . This translates to DDO-001 as a common name with the CONECA Number translating to:

1 - DDO-001
    O - Obverse Die
    VI - Doubling Type

It's a Class VI Doubled Die - Distended Hub Doubling

Serif splits are not required for this type of doubling. To quote from the Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars (Wexler/Crawford/Flynn):

"Distended Hub doubling occurs when the images on the hub become flattened or thicken from use, producing thick letters or designs into the working die. This could happen to the working hub from being too soft, or the working die being too hard, causing wear in the form of expansion of the images on the working hub."

The book goes on to show a photographic example of the Class VI DD:

It's definitely a valid doubled die although it requires an understanding of the die making process and the various possibilites of die doubling to be appreciated. I imagine that from here, the SAE Series will get more scrutiny thereby uncovering more doubled dies for the series.

No, its not a Class I rotated hub doubling but its still a variety.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I only see a 'possible' split serif on the 'B' and the 'I'.... interesting but sure is a borderline call. Cheers, RickO >>

James has classified it as: DDO-001, 1-O-VI . This translates to DDO-001 as a common name with the CONECA Number translating to:

1 - DDO-001
    O - Obverse Die
    VI - Doubling Type

It's a Class VI Doubled Die - Distended Hub Doubling

Serif splits are not required for this type of doubling. To quote from the Authoritative Reference on Eisenhower Dollars (Wexler/Crawford/Flynn):

"Distended Hub doubling occurs when the images on the hub become flattened or thicken from use, producing thick letters or designs into the working die. This could happen to the working hub from being too soft, or the working die being too hard, causing wear in the form of expansion of the images on the working hub."

The book goes on to show a photographic example of the Class VI DD:

It's definitely a valid doubled die although it requires an understanding of the die making process and the various possibilites of die doubling to be appreciated. I imagine that from here, the SAE Series will get more scrutiny thereby uncovering more doubled dies for the series.

No, its not a Class I rotated hub doubling but its still a variety. >>

So how is it a doubled die if it's just the result of the die wear? image

I don't know anything about die doubling but that sounds like, well, die wear to me.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Its the result of "hub" wear being transferred to the die.

The same as when the die gets worn and transferred to the coin except this occurs dureing the die making process which is what created the valid doubling.

No, its not very dramatic but then neither is a Bugs Bunny Franklin or any number of VAM's. All require some type of "magnification" and knowledgeable appreciation to see.

This might create some excitement for the 25th Anniversary sets but since not all 201-S SAE's are of this variety, I expect that there will be just as many invalid reports as there are valid reports given the obscurity of the doubling.

Potential buyers should "really know their stuff" before shelling out any kind of premium for these coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Harry779Harry779 Posts: 902 ✭✭
    This pic shows the doubling on the motto.
    Notice the cut off corners of the "TR"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file