Home U.S. Coin Forum

Where do you stand on toned gold coins?

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
Do you like toned gold? I am referring to nice, appealing toned gold, not splotchy or unattractive goldimage

Does it have to be AU and below.......like crusty gold coins or can it be higher MS coins to look good?

Just like silver, some like or prefer their silver coins toned, some prefer them blast white. I would like to know
what the general consensus is here.

Also, would you pay a premium for the toning? Again we are speaking ONLY about nice appealing toned gold coins.

Explain your answers pleaseimage

I guess I should use an example so I will post mine. If someone has another example please feel free to use yours.

Comments

• lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    myself
    1)yup...perz....i like toned gold...just say no to milk spots if gold eagles are plagued too
    2)any grade works for me....lower grades have flavour in that they traveled and hold stories behind the lil nicks and bite marks
    yup...that's the crowd i'm in
    beautiful example there steff...i love it
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find your gold coin attractive. What I don't like are the rust spots that stand out and create poor eye appeal, either because they are really dark or located only one one part of the coin. Your coin shows color but it's spread out over the coin and doesn't destroy the luster. The eye appeal on that coin, IMO, is really high.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen a lot of modern commem $5s with attractive toning, some in 70 holders, too. One was a Jamestown. It seems like they're toned when they leave the mint!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly prefer nicely toned gold over coins that have a dipped-out look. My view is the same whether the item is a business strike (mint state or circulated), or a proof. I expect to pay a premium for ANY coin that has original-looking surfaces.

I purchased the Bechtler gold dollar featured in RYK's 'I am an idiot' thread on this forum because of the unusual, old-time toning.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]

<< <i>I've seen a lot of modern commem $5s with attractive toning, some in 70 holders, too. One was a Jamestown. It seems like they're toned when they leave the mint! >>

Older material is nice, too, other than the "moth eaten" look of some old gold indian $5s I've seen. Ugh.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    OK....

I love toned gold. Although my spectrum is somewhat limited to 20th C., (I have seen many older gold coins, especially at the Smithsonian with phenomenal toning issues) I found that great MS64/65 or better coins are magnificent when they have toning. I would pay a premium for them all the time, as would the best collectors. I bought an amazing 1928 MS67 Saint that was one of the most superbly toned Saints I ever saw. When the market was ~$11,000 for MS67 Saints, Steve Duckor paid ME $18K for mine! (ok..i paid $7k. image)

When the coin sold in auction this Jan. at FUN (as an MS67+) it went for....................................................$54,600!!image

How abou them apples? image
    And the Saint weighs in! image
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is yumma yumma for mah tumma an acceptable answer?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, we have heard from those who like toned gold coins and may or may not, but probably would pay a premium.

I need both sides to speak up........who does not like toned gold?

btw........we may be on to something hereimage
    It may appear that there are more toned gold lover than toned silver loversimage

• AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I do like it but much is iffy. Between iodine and heat treatment, gold can get an array of colors.
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great many Sesquicentennial quarter eagles have copper spots and toning. Most of them are not very attractive. The one you pictured is okay, but not beautiful IMO. Generally I like original gold, but I’ve seen some pieces that gone so far that they look like copper. Those coins don’t interest me in the least.

There was a stunning 1826 quarter eagle at the Baltimore show in PCGS AU-55 holder. The coin was not only a rare date within a rare series, but it was 100% original and very attractive. If I had not already had one for the type, I would have been more tempted to buy it.

This 1813 $5 gold (in MS-62) is has a fair amount of copper toning, and I like the piece. I can’t give blanket statements about my taste in original gold, I can only say thumbs up or thumbs down when I see a piece.

imageimage

This one in AU-55 is also original. This is about as "crusty" as my taste will run.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like nicely toned original gold and your sesquicentennial $2 1/2 gold commen is quite nice. I don't care for blotchy/unattractive toning and I don't care for copper spots if they are large or distracting. It's all about the eye appeal of the coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care for the "toning" that appears on a small percentage of PCGS American gold eagles after they have been slabbed. Makes them look like they are made of brass.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    My $2.5 Sesqui has a bit of toning just above the torch which I think looks like smoke and is interesting. However, I don't like the spot of it below united. Otherwise the color and luster are fantastic. Toning on circ gold doesn't bother me as much as is does on the unc pieces.

GMan
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'l give you $40/ounce for each and every one you've got!!!
  • njcoincranknjcoincrank Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    coinsarefun,

While I enjoy viewing a nice original gold coin showing the other alloys within it toning, I am sorry to say that I do not like your Sesqui. It is my humble, professional opinion that it is "doctored", that is that someone added something on it to enhance its appearance.

njcc
    www.numismaticamericana.com

<< <i>coinsarefun,

While I enjoy viewing a nice original gold coin showing the other alloys within it toning, I am sorry to say that I do not like your Sesqui. It is my humble, professional opinion that it is "doctored", that is that someone added something on it to enhance its appearance.

njcc >>

disagree, looks like it spent a lot of years in a cardboard holder - couldn't be more natural.

• RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I strongly prefer toned gold. For the same reason I love toning on any other metal, it gives the coin more character. I would gladly pay a premium for attractive toning.

I would rather own a gold coin toned splotchy copper spots than one showing obvious signs of a good dipping.

It is really sad to see, as years go by, the number of high grade pedigreed golden beauties eventually suffer the same consequence of being dipped out.

imageimage

This coin has beautiful orange rim toning, and it took a premium price (underbidder Mr. David Hall) to land it.

[Photo courtesy of Heritage, I don't have any better]

Like your Sesqui.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • I like all gold. image

But that first piece is killer. Love toned gold!
    Let's try not to get upset.
    Photo by Brandon:

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not fond of the look of THAT double eagle, which has been much discussed on this forum.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here ya go, Darktone:

• jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

GK, love that 1842-D. Wonder if it spent any time with my 1841-C ?

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

orange makes my mouth water.

yellow freaks me out
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is my humble, professional opinion that it is "doctored", that is that someone added something on it to enhance its appearance.

another iodine(?) rinse, perhaps??
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't care much for toned gold !!!
    Timbuk3
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    coin by coin basis-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can dig it....

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
  • This is not the kind of toning that I would pay a premium for.
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    Thanks coinjunkie!

• I just bought a red rim toned MOH FS PCGS PR69DCAM that was delivered today. Cert number is 19825673 and there is still one left (with picture) if anyone is interested on the Bay. No direct on picture will show the toning. Even in hand,you can only see the toning at an angle of about 30 degrees.I bought it at a reasonable price (check completions) and because the seller gave a very accurate and honest description of the toning. Although I don't think it would be worth submitting to our host as a "guarantee resubmission",I would be very interested in seeing what your informed opinions might be.
  • nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, i might pay a premium if it was attractive toning. Like silver though, not all tonong is attractive.
    I'd have to agree with coinkat in that the coin and toning need to be considered on. 'coin by coin' basis.
    And "dipped-out" is not cool.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    Personally I love 'em cuz I think that's one way to tell if a piece is original. I'm personally looking for a nice Charlotte and Dahlonega coin for my collection and one way I can tell if a coin passes muster so to speak is to look on Doug Winter's website to see what he likes and thinks is original. Unfortunately I get there too late once something is posted for sale there. Oh well eventually it'll happen.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
    Thanks for all your replies and answering my curiosity side of me.
    Some very good answers and examples here.

Darktone..........your Pan Pac $1 is stunning!
    when your ready to sell please pm meimage

I have a modern that toned in the original PCGS holder that is currently over at PCGS being
    TrueViewed and re-holdered. It toned in the old holder and wanted to stop any further toning as
    I feel it does not warrant any more toning. It is perfect now.
    Its coming back to me in a MS70 holder. I will post the TrueView when I receive it.

Here is my image of it

• << <i>I have a modern that toned in the original PCGS holder that is currently over at PCGS being
    TrueViewed and re-holdered. It toned in the old holder and wanted to stop any further toning as
    I feel it does not warrant any more toning. It is perfect now.
    Its coming back to me in a MS70 holder. I will post the TrueView when I receive it.

Here is my image of it

image >>

Was it an MS70 when you sent it in or was it upgraded?

<< <i>Was it an MS70 when you sent it in or was it upgraded? >>

Yes, it toned this way while in the slab, or maybe the slab accelerated the toning?
    However I bought it in an MS70 slab and to get it TrueViewed they need to crack it out and image then place in a new slab.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they did a grade review what grade would PCGS give it?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my gold either bright, as minted, or crusty, with commerce history showing. I do not like the appearance exhibited by most examples above. Gold can be 'colored', it is not that difficult. Copper spots are distracting. Checking my gold that is slabbed, all PCGS, I see no tarnish developing. Checking my unslabbed gold (a whole bunch of it), I see no tarnish. As I said though, crusty, well traveled gold, is attractive to me too. Cheers, RickO
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would gladly stretch a bit more for an original, nicely toned and/or crusty early HE or Charlotte mint product.

regards,

'dude
    Got Crust....y gold?
    New holder, old one was MS70 now in new holder(the only way to get a TrueView
    Still resides in MS 70. I never asked for anything other than images, which Phil has done his usual greatness!

• So what does PCGS do with modern gold coins graded 69 or better that are resubmitted with red spots or red rim toning on them?
  • notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Very nice. I've got some toned 2006-W MS69 and MS70 gold I need to list on ebay. --Jerry
  • Lehigh96Lehigh96 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭
    I like toning on gold, here is mine.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://stores.ebay.com/Lehigh-Coins">LEHIGH COINS on E-Bay
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love toned Gold.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file