Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

one heck of a double struck buff

on ebay but here be tha snapshots...link incase someone needs it to be...is this even legit or pmd???
1924 double struck buff

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    It's real.

It's also my listing.

The piece would be a true moose if it wasn't for that scratch.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    i think its a moose scratch or not...very-very interesting buff...its got kool
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's an undated one that's in a PCGS XF-45 holder.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    wow too bad for the scratch
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scratch or not, I'm calling Moosey. Outstanding hair lip on the Chief.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    That is a couple of wicked looking Buffs. image

But I like 'em.image

Mike
  • Options
    Man that is cool!! But the Chief has a real zombie look about him!image
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's an undated one that's in a PCGS XF-45 holder.

image >>

It's a Type 1, no?
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

It's a Type 1, no? >>

Type 1, yes!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's a Type 1, no? >>

Nice call, Astrorat!!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool... had not seen a double struck Buff before... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

It's a Type 1, no? >>

Type 1, yes! >>

They honestly should have put a date on that one!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    It reminds me of Voldemort! It is REALLY cool though!!

-Paul
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there is a vertical scratch (faint) too. Almost like a mint employee x'ing it out for bad quality control.

It's more like a mule deer than a moose with the scratches but it get's a big plus over the pcgs graded one because it's got a date!

Me likey a lot. image

Freddie
    It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

image >>

This is to cool!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

image >>

What's a coin like this worth in XF-45? Anyone know?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    Adding a date should increase the value. I'd guesstimate 4 figures, but I have no idea really.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The indian head looks to be in motion, like when they dance. Indians learned to dance from the buffalo.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't that PCGS D/S Buffalo just
    close yesterday at $1,900+_ ?

(D/S = Double Struck, not D over S) !
    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

What's a coin like this worth in XF-45? Anyone know? >>

It was on EBay for $2500.00
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My cool meter is pegged all the way to the right. Both are very interesting for sure.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>Didn't that PCGS D/S Buffalo just
    close yesterday at $1,900+_ ?

(D/S = Double Struck, not D over S) ! >>

I wonder if that price is in the ball park?
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    broadstruck got a link to the buff in XF45? Can't find it!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    The OP coin sold through Heritage this fall.

$3671
  • Options

<< <i>on ebay but here be tha snapshots...link incase someone needs it to be...is this even legit or pmd???
    1924 double struck buff

image >>

This same 1924 double-struck buffalo sold for $3600 in August 2012. Someone lost almost exactly 50%. It was in an NGC slab at the time: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1173&lotNo=4326
    www.sullivannumismatics.com Dealer in Mint Error Coins.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>on ebay but here be tha snapshots...link incase someone needs it to be...is this even legit or pmd???
    1924 double struck buff

image >>

This same 1924 double-struck buffalo sold for $3600 in August 2012. Someone lost almost exactly 50%. It was in an NGC slab at the time: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1173&lotNo=4326 >>

PMD
  • Options

<< <i>

1924 double struck buff

image >>

This same 1924 double-struck buffalo sold for $3600 in August 2012. Someone lost almost exactly 50%. It was in an NGC slab at the time: http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1173&lotNo=4326 >>

You're not looking at the timestamp of the OP. This coin was offered on eBay for about $1900, raw, as a BIN this spring. It did not sell. It was then certified and sold through Heritage for almost $3700.
  • Options

<< <i>You're not looking at the timestamp of the OP. This coin was offered on eBay for about $1900, raw, as a BIN this spring. It did not sell. It was then certified and sold through Heritage for almost $3700. >>

My mistake, someone actually appears to have doubled their money, not lost money, except that they may have bought a counterfeit...

This coin I suspect is a counterfeit. I once owned a buffalo rotated double-strike with the same amount of strike rotation and also the same amount of wear as this coin (and it was from the 1920's--regrettably I don't remember 100% for sure if it was 1924, but I believe it was.) I still have a photo of the coin, but unfortunately just of the reverse, and comparing it to this coin, it matches perfectly.

At the time, my coin was determined by myself, John Dannreuther, and others as being a counterfeit. The reverse appears to match up 100% perfectly with this coin. I'd love to see this 1924 buffalo in person to determine if it is in fact a counterfeit, because it probably is. I actually purchased the coin as "genuine", because I didn't even suspect that a rotated double-strike buffalo with this amount of wear would be a counterfeit, but later it was determined to be a fake.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.... had not heard about the counterfeit issue.... any further information on this? Was the OP coin ever submitted to a TPG? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    kookoox10kookoox10 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭
    This is the first time I've seen this beast (yes, I've been living in a cave). I've seen quite my fair share of double struck coins, but this one takes the cake. I'll call it Franken-Buff.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, too bad about that scratch, but that is some crazy-cool shifting!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow.... had not heard about the counterfeit issue.... any further information on this? Was the OP coin ever submitted to a TPG? Cheers, RickO >>

As I said, I did a bad job keeping photos of it (I only have a photo of the reverse, which does match this coin to a T), and so I can't say with 100% certainty it was a 1924, but I am 100% sure it had the same reverse die as this coin, and I also am 100% sure it was from the 1920's. Unfortunately, I don't remember for sure what it weighed. There where a few characteristics about it which proved it was a counterfeit:

1.The planchet quality was relatively poor. When you looked at the coin's edge, there was a granular, course appearance to it.

2.The reverse die, when examined under a loupe, had strong, circular lathe-like marks going around the coin, especially in the lettering and protected areas. Probably the low grade wore the marks off of the more open areas.

3.The coin just didn't quite have the "crispness" which you see on buffalo double-strikes (or genuine mint errors) (which this 1924 also lacks, in my opinion.)

4.The color was every so slightly "off", as this coin does (in my view.)

Was it a contemporary counterfeit or is it a more modern piece which was made to deceive collectors--I don't know.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! If real,that is the best double strike on a buff. I've ever seen! Very cool. Like I said,"WOW!" imageimageimage That deserves three thumbs up! -joey

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    them are some wicked cool looking buffalo's, i like
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool error!

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file