Home Precious Metals
Options

What gold, silver, etc. trade wise do you keep in you B.O.B?

I really want to know what you keep in your B.O.B, get home bag, 72 hour bag, etc for trading for supplies if you get caught in a situation where you need to get out or get home? If you want to call me crazy, go ahead, I laugh at you too. I put $800 USD in $20 and $100, 5 ASE's, $35 face in quarters and dimes and 10 1/4 and 1/2 AGE's. What would you add? Take out? Her is my real world car set up ( I have a clone in the house, but some different contents in case I have to leave for good). I have been in the situation, un-prep'ed and still regret those 2 days, so never again. I post the pics as I am dealing with some serious space issues so a $1000 face 90% ain't gonna work.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My serious answer: no plans to bug. prepared to stand my ground and fight to the finish. retreat is not an option.

For those that move, I recommend green cash in a national crisis for the following reasons:
    - it is very portable in large amounts
    - we are a plastic society, cash will be limited and in great demand as plastic becomes worthless
    - it is recognized by all as a medium of exchange, its value will actually increase

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    space vs. carrying $100s....

how many people know that old change was once 90% silver?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I still think Greece is a model for what the USA will face.

sub-50% write downs.... except by the Federal Reserve. not sure what they will do. The big banks globally will be hit. My money is going in a credit union and I won't be investing in any banks.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cash, small bills.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    This isn't just for 12/21/12, I see a lot of situations where things can and will get hairy. I too plan to bug in at home, but if in town or else where and SHTF then I would need the supplies and weapons to get to my home where my wife and poochies are along with much more supplies to whether the storm. This is strictly a get home bag everyone should have in their car or wherever they are.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always keep a bag of almonds in my glove compartment. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's a B.O.B.?
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    apparently BOB is the guy that will take all our stuff when the financial poop hits the fan..........he,ll never get by my assault turtles
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm way behind on this stuff, I thought we were just going to shoot zombies when the SHTF, not guys named Bob.
    And I haven't even had myself cloned yet like Texas Nationals did. It sounds expensive, I'd like to put it off as long as possible.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Id recommend some smaller bills in cash. Maybe break one of the hundreds into two 10s, ten 5s and thirty 1s. If SHTF, everyone might not have change for your large bills for smaller items and you dont always want to pay with such a large bill or you may suddenly find the price higher. Also, I've heard a pack of cigarettes and even a couple shooters of booze can be priceless depending on exactly what situation goes down.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darin

Bug Out Bag
    -----or-------
    Bug Out Bolt

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Nice sandpiper bag. Canadian money & Mexican money - never know which border you will need to cross. BOB stands for Bug out Bag.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    yeah, I'm gonna go here. if that weapon ever gets fired outside of a firing range in the states, there is a:

0.01% chance it's used in actual self-defense
    99.9% chance it shoots up a bunch of kids at a Burger King when the owner snaps

this is seriously messed up.

welcome to trollco. i love you.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What's a B.O.B.? >>

Bug Out Bag---In case you have to head to the wilderness during a SHTF scenario. Usually includes a firesteel, rations, knife, gun, ammo, paracord, water purification tables, money, fishing hooks and line, and anything else to survive living off the land.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    My serious answer: no plans to bug. prepared to stand my ground and fight to the finish. retreat is not an option.

image and if it gets to a point where my family is deceased, i'm saving 1 bullet for my way out.
    I know it's not very Christian to take ones own life, but if it got to that point and it was now a world that I would not longer want to live in, I would do it. Call me a coward, but the way I see it is, there would be nothing worth fighting for anymore if they were gone.
    How's that for a serious answer?
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Hummmmm...TxN, I'm kind of the different persuasion. Avoid contact, keep quiet and low, take care of yourself and those you are responsible for and let the sht fly above your head. So, a shaggy guy with darting red eyes and a haggard look comes into a retail situation and is carrying hundred dollar bills or one oz gold coins...yeah, that ain't gonna work. It might work with some underground connection but not a retail situation. Realize that if things go nasty, the folks looking to take your stuff are going to be the majority and your welfare is not really their concern, only your stuff. If you want to play with the scenario, don't forget what happened in N.O. after Katrina...after all the cops ran away; probably how things will go. You might look through some news archives because that is the template of what will happen. If you have a pack, they are going to want to get that. If you have a car, they are going to want that too, along with other items of value.

I like using my house as a defencible position. Dogs for helping with intruders or trespassers, neighbors for mutual support, plenty of ammo to deter firebombers and B&E types. Of course that only works if you are stocked up with a few months worth of stuff so that's almost a no brainer. Fortunately, there is a stream less than a block from the house and it leads to a forested river so there is a way out on foot but that is not the prefered scenario. I like the idea of using body wraps to carry things like money, gold, blister packs of this and that. There are some body packs that you can wear under your clothes that are very comfy and hold enough stuff to keep you going for a few days and they will keep you a little less conspicuous. Camo face coverings, good boots and socks, some 20 round mags, a little mosquito repellant and some rats...let's do this.

Theorists have postulated that when tshtf that small groups of like minded individuals will group up and form little communities or pods that will be self governing, and self sufficient. I do believe that's how it will go if things break down so it's not really going to be every man for himself, close, but not quite that grim. It's always better to have some plan than no plan at all.

• Options

<< <i>I always keep a bag of almonds in my glove compartment. MJ >>

May I politely suggest that you upgrade your survival equipment?
    I feel that bagged almonds are entirely unsuited to any truly icky situation. I recommend that you (immediately, if not sooner), replace those with canned almonds. The will stay fresher and absorb radiation, chemical contamm, etc. much better.
    I've done that since the world last ended on 02/02/02 and it seems to be working.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I always keep a bag of almonds in my glove compartment. MJ >>

May I politely suggest that you upgrade your survival equipment?
    I feel that bagged almonds are entirely unsuited to any truly icky situation. I recommend that you (immediately, if not sooner), replace those with canned almonds. The will stay fresher and absorb radiation, chemical contamm, etc. much better.
    I've done that since the world last ended on 02/02/02 and it seems to be working. >>

I think you want to add "less" in front of "radiation".

• Options
    Again, let me re-state, this bag is intended that if I am caught AWAY frm home, will be used to get HOME, I have no plans on leaving.

yeah, I'm gonna go here. if that weapon ever gets fired outside of a firing range in the states, there is a:

Yep and you know ZERO about me, what I do for a living, etc. A helpful hint, make sure you know who you are talking to before you decide to try and troll.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Since I live in middle of the major city, my B.O.B. includes wine, cheese, and all the other essentials for a kickin' rooftop party with my gay neighbors.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    Says the guy with the private mercenary link. You've already given away plenty about yourself with your previous posts and proclivity to brag about your guns on a PM board. I won't touch that, but I will say that you're thinking of using 20th century tools for a 21st century war, and by the time you realize it's time to go, it'll be far too late.
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231

<< <i>Says the guy with the private mercenary link. You've already given away plenty about yourself with your previous posts and proclivity to brag about your guns on a PM board. I won't touch that, but I will say that you're thinking of using 20th century tools for a 21st century war, and by the time you realize it's time to go, it'll be far too late. >>

Dont worry about TexasNational. If the guy really is THAT stupid to leave a bag of guns, ammo, and about $14,000 worth of cash and PMs in a bag in his CAR then I sincerely hope he gets it all ripped off. Anyone as stupid as that surely deserves it anyway.
  • Options

<< <i>This isn't just for 12/21/12, I see a lot of situations where things can and will get hairy. I too plan to bug in at home, but if in town or else where and SHTF then I would need the supplies and weapons to get to my home where my wife and poochies are along with much more supplies to whether the storm. This is strictly a get home bag everyone should have in their car or wherever they are. >>

Yeah, EVERYONE should have a bag of guns and $14,000 in cash/PMs in their CAR. LMFAO!!!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Says the guy with the private mercenary link. You've already given away plenty about yourself with your previous posts and proclivity to brag about your guns on a PM board. I won't touch that, but I will say that you're thinking of using 20th century tools for a 21st century war, and by the time you realize it's time to go, it'll be far too late. >>

Dont worry about TexasNational. If the guy really is THAT stupid to leave a bag of guns, ammo, and about $14,000 worth of cash and PMs in a bag in his CAR then I sincerely hope he gets it all ripped off. Anyone as stupid as that surely deserves it anyway. >>

Yeah, EVERYONE should have a bag of guns and $14,000 in cash/PMs in their CAR. LMFAO!!!

What would you do if you were at work or even across town and something went down to prevent you from getting home? The guy said he's been in that situation before and is not going to let it happen again. If he is secure enough to have that much on him/in his car then let it be. Obviously from his past posts about his general financials, this bag means more to him than just some guns, gold, and rope.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Dont worry about TexasNational. If the guy really is THAT stupid to leave a bag of guns, ammo, and about $14,000 worth of cash and PMs in a bag in his CAR then I sincerely hope he gets it all ripped off. Anyone as stupid as that surely deserves it anyway >>

What a great attitude you have. While I may not subscribe to the same philosophy as others name calling and hoping someone gets ripped off is just plain ignorant.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Dont worry about TexasNational. If the guy really is THAT stupid to leave a bag of guns, ammo, and about $14,000 worth of cash and PMs in a bag in his CAR then I sincerely hope he gets it all ripped off. Anyone as stupid as that surely deserves it anyway. >>

What would you do if you were at work or even across town and something went down to prevent you from getting home? The guy said he's been in that situation before and is not going to let it happen again. If he is secure enough to have that much on him/in his car then let it be. Obviously from his past posts about his general financials, this bag means more to him than just some guns, gold, and rope. >>

Dude.....are you serious??? Are you familiar with the term "risk vs reward"? The chances of someone stealing his bag from his car....or even stealing the car itself are enormously higher than ever being caught in a situation in which all that stuff was needed to get home.

He claims he was caught in that situation and regrets it.......I will lay 500 to 1 it wasnt in Texas, or anywhere in the U.S. for that matter. image

If a person wants to leave guns, ammo, and cash/PMs in a bag in his car at all times, then im sorry but he is bound to lose that bag many times before he will need it even once.

Carrying a gun in a car will probably be more than enough to get back across town to get home. $14,000 in cash/PMs is completely overkill......he is trying to travel a few miles, not around the world.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Dont worry about TexasNational. If the guy really is THAT stupid to leave a bag of guns, ammo, and about $14,000 worth of cash and PMs in a bag in his CAR then I sincerely hope he gets it all ripped off. Anyone as stupid as that surely deserves it anyway >>

What a great attitude you have. While I may not subscribe to the same philosophy as others name calling and hoping someone gets ripped off is just plain ignorant. >>

Im sorry. What is the proper term for leaving a bag of guns and $14,000 in your car at all times?

And what do you think about the person who gives the advice that EVERYONE should do the same?

I stand by my statements that it is a stupid idea, and anyone who promotes such a stupid idea deserves to lose.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldnt leave $14,000 in cash and PMs in my home, nevermind my car.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a wonderful thread turn here on the teen angst section of hellokittyforum.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, some folks carry around a lot of money, others carry around a lot of anger and hostility

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Since I live in middle of the major city, my B.O.B. includes wine, cheese, and all the other essentials for a kickin' rooftop party with my gay neighbors. >>

LOL. if I'd been drinking milk reading this post it'd be coming out my nose 2ndR!! image

Seriously, to quote Wise Old Bear, whom I miss very much: " Preparation H and Chapstick" were in his b.o.b. image
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options

<< <i>Apparently, some folks carry around a lot of money, others carry around a lot of anger and hostility >>

I guess calling a spade a spade makes me angry and hostile. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Since I live in middle of the major city, my B.O.B. includes wine, cheese, and all the other essentials for a kickin' rooftop party with my gay neighbors. >>

LOL. if I'd been drinking milk reading this post it'd be coming out my nose 2ndR!! image

Seriously, to quote Wise Old Bear, whom I miss very much: " Preparation H, mouthwash, and Chapstick" were in his b.o.b. image >>

• Options
    dp
  • Options

<< <i>Dude.....are you serious??? Are you familiar with the term "risk vs reward"? The chances of someone stealing his bag from his car....or even stealing the car itself are enormously higher than ever being caught in a situation in which all that stuff was needed to get home. >>

Yes, I'm serious. Yes, I'm familiar with risk vs. reward. Yes, the chance of someone stealing his bag or car is higher than him running into this situation, I agree. Doesn't make him feel any worse about it that you don't care.

<< <i>He claims he was caught in that situation and regrets it.......I will lay 500 to 1 it wasnt in Texas, or anywhere in the U.S. for that matter. >>

Yes, I believe him when he says he was in this situation once. And yes, he probably wasn't in Texas or in the US. Doesn't mean it can't happen there or anywhere for that matter. Take Katrina for example.

<< <i>If a person wants to leave guns, ammo, and cash/PMs in a bag in his car at all times, then im sorry but he is bound to lose that bag many times before he will need it even once. >>

Probably so, but it's his decision and conviction to do so.

<< <i>Carrying a gun in a car will probably be more than enough to get back across town to get home. $14,000 in cash/PMs is completely overkill......he is trying to travel a few miles, not around the world. >>

The "probably" in your comment is a large one. You can never ever ever count on a "probably". Being a few miles from one's house and not being able to get to it will feel like he's across the country. Still, he can't get to it, but he's got his survival bag.
  • Options
    "Yes, I believe him when he says he was in this situation once. And yes, he probably wasn't in Texas or in the US. Doesn't mean it can't happen there or anywhere for that matter. Take Katrina for example."

So unless a Katrina victim had $14,000 in precious metals on them when the hurricane hit, they never made it home?

The VAST majority of those affected (but not killed by the actual weather) by Katrina didnt have so much as a bottle of water let alone guns and $14,000 in cash/PMs on their person. Yet as long as mother nature didnt kill them, they all got to where they were going. Can you cite any examples of people from that disaster who were killed in ways which would have been prevented had they carried large sums of cash or guns?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    greenbacks will be king in a SHTF scenario. I hold PMs for other reasons.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>greenbacks will be king in a SHTF scenario. I hold PMs for other reasons. >>

I could not agree more. (with both points)
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>greenbacks will be king in a SHTF scenario. I hold PMs for other reasons. >>

I could not agree more. (with both points) >>

Yup. People recognize paper money but most people don't understand what a pre-1964 dime or a tenth ounce AGE is worth.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I try to plan for a little bit of anything. I think mhammerman has some relevant comments on this.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Hey, what do I know... I thought with the StageCoach Silver 1 oz, you break off a piece, and that is was a breath mint. (At least until I tasted and it gave my fillings an electric shock.)

-------------Seriously, -----------------
    The silver dime/quarter thing is good for well into a big zoombie out or dollar crash. But cash money is still good for the immediate, so an important part. Some singles, 2 fives, 2 tens, and a batch of twenties handy, but with a kicker of a few hundred or so, someplace else. Now if there was a way to say have this handy in a money pouch, say on the body pouch, easy to grab as a take along with the BOB, that would be good. A few AGE's are nice too, and you can hit someone in the head with them.

I can't leave anything above a few singles in my BOB anymore. My wife knows where to look.
    (Damm.. A guy can't have any fun these days.)

But I'd think for silver dimes/quarters, you may need them later... on if the paper fails during the emergency. But 1/8 dollar or gram bars of gold could be the best bang for the carry weight. More than a handfull of silver may be too much. If the situation is long term, going to need to get to the big stash box anyway, and that could be beyond just a BOB situation.

In the east, it's harder to pack guns.
    COA
  • Options

<< <i>Nice sandpiper bag. Canadian money & Mexican money - never know which border you will need to cross. BOB stands for Bug out Bag. >>

I was thinking the same thing.

A small plane fully fueled may sometimes be a better alternative then standing and fighting. Although planes are money pits: at least annual inspections, expensive aviation electronics, high priced parts, labor, 100 octane low lead fuel prices are crazy high.

fly over the border to some small town strip and you're out to Mexico. Just practice your Canadian accent.
  • Options

<< <i>Again, let me re-state, this bag is intended that if I am caught AWAY frm home, will be used to get HOME, I have no plans on leaving.

Yep and you know ZERO about me, what I do for a living, etc. A helpful hint, make sure you know who you are talking to before you decide to try and troll. >>

a Bug IN Bag.

oh.

I'd expect stealth to get you so far, I'd also be concerned about what you find at home when you get there. I'd be carrying more ammo for dislocation purposes.

PS and the poster obviously knows nothing about the laws. You can kill kids in Florida if you call it an accident and now self-defense is on the list. Anyway, the poster obviously doesn't get the concept of the scenario being discussed: lawlessness going back to the wild west days.
  • Options

you may as well.

on 9/11, I was at a community college in the burbs of DC. They shut down the campus and sent people home.

I learned on thing really quickly. Parking lots are not designed to have everyone leaving at once. It took 2-3 HOURS to exit and I was expecting the roads to be jammed with everyone else in the area going home. WRONG. Just us. ALL the major population centers are totally screwed in any major meltdown because NOTHING is designed for everyone to be leaving all at once.

so, party away. you may just miss the road rage killings or some other attack while stuck on the streets.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I really want to know what you keep in your B.O.B, get home bag, 72 hour bag, etc for trading for supplies if you get caught in a situation where you need to get out or get home? If you want to call me crazy, go ahead, I laugh at you too. I put $800 USD in $20 and $100, 5 ASE's, $35 face in quarters and dimes and 10 1/4 and 1/2 AGE's. What would you add? Take out? Her is my real world car set up ( I have a clone in the house, but some different contents in case I have to leave for good). I have been in the situation, un-prep'ed and still regret those 2 days, so never again. I post the pics as I am dealing with some serious space issues so a $1000 face 90% ain't gonna work.

image >>

it definitly works for me. keep your powder dry all image
  • Options
    Yep and you know ZERO about me, what I do for a living, etc. A helpful hint, make sure you know who you are talking to before you decide to try and troll.

Actually, I do know at least something about you, and everyone who says anything in a thread like this.
    Do you not think that I can surmise, at least in general terms, what kind of person you at least want to appear to be by what you say in a thread like this? Geez, gotta gimme that bud.
  • Options
    I expected a response from you princess, tell me what kind of person do you think I want to be or try to say I am? Do you want to tell me or do you want to change your panties and have a moderator do it AGAIN for you?
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I live close to a major metropolitan area, so I doubt I will survive in case of a dramatic SHTF scenario.
    I have no guns here in the US (I doubt they will allow me to get one being with a Visa), just couple of nice knives (I will probably cut myself image).
    I just keep at home some gold and silver and some cash (USD, CAD, EUR and BRL) in case I have to leave in a hurry for any reason, excluding a major catastrophe. I can either go back home in Italy, to my father-in-law in Brazil or to a friend in Canada.
    My wife knows where everything is, in case she has to leave without me...or she wants to run away from me!

My "Doomsday preppers' vote" will be very low...
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

<< <i>Yep and you know ZERO about me, what I do for a living, etc. A helpful hint, make sure you know who you are talking to before you decide to try and troll.

Actually, I do know at least something about you, and everyone who says anything in a thread like this. >>

watch some jail or lockup episodes

you will realize there is a certain percentage of people out there that are criminally minded. In a situation where normal protections aren't around and you must provide your own. defense against likeminded is not the issue. the issue is defense against the criminally minded.
  • Options
    I don't need to tell you what type you are TN, you've already told us by doing absolutely nothing but talk about guns, post pics of guns and brag about what you think you are...all, on a precious metals forum.
    Someone who does what you do on these forums is obviously misguided and you owning a weapon of any kind, including butter knives, should be questioned to the extreme.
    But the mentally unstable deserve respect too, so I will end it there without giving you any more of the attention you so crave.