Home U.S. Coin Forum

1792 Birch Cent!

Comments

• mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    wrong size planchet?

whats it say?

edit: its cool! .... way better strike than most 93's and up. (to a point.)
  • Can't stand the black marks (ugly toning but hey I always hate toning) but I do love any coin dated 1792 from the U.S and with any 1792 beggars can't be choosers.
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please tell us about this thing. Story behind it?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭✭
    >>...... but I do love any coin dated 1792 from the U.S.>>

okay, DATED 1792 image

from the U.S.? I'll get back to ya on that

(I have never understood why they felt the need to give Ms. Liberty a necklace -- the original was sans jewelry)

www.brunkauctions.com

• LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    I like it image
  • PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I've always liked the real ones. This one, not as much.
  • Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    Nope! Fun to own anyway.
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    best motto there is
    I
    I
    I
    V

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The motto is great... too bad it is not more prominent today. Cheers, RickO
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always liked the real ones. This one, not as much. >>

John, on the real ones, do you have any opinion as to what type of plant those sprigs above and below ONE CENT are supposed to be?
    TD
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this a modern Chinese fake or an earlier-era fake?
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not even close to the real thing, but that's actually a good thing.

BTW the motto "Liberty the parent of science and industry" offers an incredible bit of wisdom. I wish that our current leaders would take it heart because freedom where all have the opportunity to use their ideas and their imaginations has provided many of the technological advances that we enjoy today. Sadly it seems that we are headed toward a controlled, “from the top down” type of economic system.

This motto did appear on the 1792 half disme.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    So it's a fantasy piece....
    Becky
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Here's Gallery Mint Museum's interpretation, followed by Joe Paonessa's take on this year's ANA Host Chairman token in pewter:

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>Is this a modern Chinese fake or an earlier-era fake? >>

Rich, it isn't a modern Chinese counterfeit, rather it is a slightly earlier reproduction

I have been unable to locate a duplicate example of this reproduction; that is to also
    say that it does not appear to be the more common Gallery Mint reproductions.
  • edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    With those flourishes above and below the denomination, it's going to be a repro of the G.W.P. version (those initials actually show a bit on the OP photo.) Here's the Gallery Mint Museum version of that one:

I hate to say it, but it really is a modern Chinese counterfeit.

Here's where you can buy pieces from the same dies for $2.73 each: Counterfeits-R-Us

There is a guy in Alabama selling these and similar fake "Fusible Alloy" cents on eBay, often as wild errors.
    Oh, and Capt.Henway, I haven't the foggiest clue. Then again, the engraver probably didn't either!

By the way, this piece copies the G.W. Pt variety which is unique, known only in tin. It was last sold in Garrett. I made a case in a Numismatist column a few years ago, backed up by new evidence from Jefferson's papers, that the Birch cents were the first 1792 cents struck, at about the same time as the half dismes. If that is true, the GW Pt is the earlier of the two varieties and is thus the real first American cent.

Breen placed them last among the emissions of 1792.
  • CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimageimage Nice copper color and luster showing in my Gallery Copy
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My gosh, that's Magnificent image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I hate to say it, but it really is a modern Chinese counterfeit.

Here's where you can buy pieces from the same dies for $2.73 each: Counterfeits-R-Us

There is a guy in Alabama selling these and similar fake "Fusible Alloy" cents on eBay, often as wild errors. >>

Bummer imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file