Home U.S. Coin Forum

What was the original mint price for the 1993 Philadelphia proof gold and silver eagle set?

coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone remember?
Are these popular?
How are there priced? Pretty much tied to bullion prices?

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really do not recall... but I have a set... Cheers, RickO
    Hang on... the Redbook says issue price was $57.00 Cheers, RickO
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have in my records a purchase price of $499.00 for the 1993 Philadelphia Set:

$25 Gold Eagle
    $10 Gold Eagle
    $5 Gold Eagle
    $1 Silver Eagle
    1993 Philadelphia Medal
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought and sold a couple of those sets when I was a dealer. Today I'm a bit sorry that I did not keep one of them, and not just because of the run-up in the price of gold and silver bullion.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Sorry, I was looking at the wrong thing in the Redbook... image Cheers, RickO
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have in my records a purchase price of $499.00 for the 1993 Philadelphia Set:

$25 Gold Eagle
    $10 Gold Eagle
    $5 Gold Eagle
    $1 Silver Eagle
    1993 Philadelphia Medal >>

Thanks, I had a feeling the price was based on silver and gold with little or no collector value.

• Now here are a couple of facts.............

To the best of my knowledge PCGS won't give these "Philadelphia Set" labels even if submitted sealed in original registered mailers.

Why I don't know............

It is too bad because the Silver eagles from these sets have reacted with the green cardboard holders to produce a unigue blue rim toning I've never seen on any other silver eagles.

Color and pattern is so unique some have suggested they can tell a 1993 Philadelphia Silver Eagle by the toning alone.............
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else's eagles getting a lot of colour in the 1993 philly set?

something about that case seems to have toned the heck out of the SAE and the silver round.

<< <i>could you please post what these look like,
    thanks >>

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See my comments on the set under the 1993 proof Silver Eagle posting on Coinfacts.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
    Darn...just pulled my set out of the safe, and yes, the Eagle is tarnishing... crapola... image Cheers, RickO
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Dip it, Ricko!
    Here's Mitch's great write-up:

In 1993, the U.S. Mint produced a set of coins known as the “Philadelphia Set”. The set contains a special silver Bicentennial medal only found in this set (and struck to recognize the 200th anniversary of the striking of the first official regular issue U.S. coins produced for general circulation by the Philadelphia Mint; namely the large cent struck in March, 1793), a 1993 $1 Proof Silver Eagle and a $5, $10, and $25 Proof Gold Eagle (the set did not contain the $50 Proof Gold Eagle which explains, in part, why the mintages are higher on the fractional proof gold coins for this year). For the first time since the start of the Eagle program, the three gold fractional coins, as well as the Silver Eagle, were minted in Philadelphia and bear the “P” mint mark. The coins are housed in a special U.S. Mint presentation box –each coin placed into a single heavy green piece of cardboard contained within the set. It has now been about (16) years since the time these coins have been placed into this green cardboard by the U.S. Mint and the proof silver eagle has reacted to its “environment”. In fresh, original, sets, the proof silver eagle has now often turned a lovely shade of purple around its rims (and extending slightly into the coins surfaces) in a color pattern unique to the “Philly Set”. I have seen a number of these coins already with more advanced toning where the myriad shades of purple have extended well into the coins’ surfaces, beyond the rim, creating simply a stunning toned specimen. Interestingly, the silver medal, which is only 90% silver and 10% copper (as opposed to the silver eagle was is 99.9% silver) is not toning yet anywhere close to the degree the silver eagle has naturally toned in these sets in the same environment. If you are a toning enthusiast, as I am, be on the lookout for this very special naturally toned proof Silver Eagle!
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buying this whole set was the only way to acquire the silver eagle with the adaptation of Dunsmore's "Inspection of the First Coins" of on the reverse. Someone broke up a set, and a slabbed example sold on ebay recently for about $300.

I needed an illustration for my book, and bought a set a few years ago, which did quite well on resale.
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buying this whole set was the only way to acquire the silver eagle with the adaptation of Dunsmore's "Inspection of the First Coins" of on the reverse. Someone broke up a set, and a slabbed example sold on ebay recently for about $300.

I needed an illustration for my book, and bought a set a few years ago, which did quite well on resale. >>

The silver Eagle in mine has a regular eagle reverse design. The medal is cool, but the eagle looks the same as all other 1993 p PROOF eagles.

<< <i>The silver Eagle in mine has a regular eagle reverse design. The medal is cool, but the eagle looks the same as all other 1993 p PROOF eagles. >>

See photo above.
  • Why won't PCGS give "Philadelphia Set" labels to these coins even if submitted still sealed??

• << <i>Why won't PCGS give "Philadelphia Set" labels to these coins even if submitted still sealed?? >>

Pros - Kinda of cool. They could do this to other sets such as sealed Lincoln C&Cs.

Cons - Do we need yet another label.

I vote for it, but I'm thinking the number of sealed sets would be incredibly small and wouldn't net much money for TPGs.
  • Sometime in last 12 years PCGS began giving special Philadelphia labels to the sets.

How many sets were minted and are any of the 4 bullion coins now series low mintages based on this label and excluding the flood of signature labels?

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

The silver medal in this set is interesting. However, the Mint also sold a large bronze version of it, and on the bronze piece on the side that has a spiral of various U.S. coin designs the 1932 Quarter has an S mint mark on the obverse behind Washington's shoulder, as on 1968-onward Proofs!

Back when I worked in the coin shop this set was always a tough retail sale because it did not fit in with any other proof gold eagle sets.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 131 ✭✭✭

The medal in the Philadelphia Set has coin turn rather than medal turn. Something different and looks good in packaging.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file