Home U.S. Coin Forum

FINAL UPDATE: Charmy's Pawn Stars Filming/Las Vegas Show Report w/Lots of Pics!!!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
I arrived here in Las Vegas on Wednesday afternoon, checked into my room at the Rio, then headed over to Pawn Stars for my filming appointment. There was a long line around the building but, as instructed, I went straight to the door and let them know who I was and that I was there for filming. A production assistant led me to the back room where they usually film Rick in front of the guitars. I was given paperwork to sign, including a confidentiality agreement so I cannot discuss details about the filming, my item, etc. Nor can I publish photos of the “back side” of the shop, but I can post photos of the public side of the pawn shop so I took photos of some very interesting items they had for sale in the store. I can say that I had a great time, they treated me like I was someone special, and Corey was a lot of fun to negotiate with.

Just before I arrived at the Pawn Stars shop, I spotted this American Restoration Truck! I love this show as much as I do Pawn Stars!

This is my Pawn Stars “Sellers” badge

My new BFF Corey!

The producer – a very cool and great guy!

After I was finished filming, I met Todd and his dad Roger for dinner at Tony Romas on Fremont Street. They have very yummy ribs!

Todd liked playing this penguin slot machine game that played “Ice Ice Baby”!

Here’s a pic from my room at night

And then in the morning – the weather here in Vegas is absolutely beautiful!

I stopped by the PCGS show at the Venician, bought a few coins, but didn’t see many forum members. Then headed to the Palace Station for set up.

After set up, I stayed at Palace Station and played some 4-8 limit poker. After I doubled my money, I headed back to the Rio for some more “Ultimate texas Hold-Um “ and “Texas Hold-Um Bonus. I really enjoy both of these games!

That’s it for today – more later!
ww
Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Apparently what happens in Vegas no longer stays in Vegas...
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    the coins are overpriced!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool report, but the prices for the 2004 L&C proof dollar ($80) and the WWII set($100) are wacked.
    Guess they'll be sittin there for a while. Have fun!
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • CMCARTCMCART Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭
    Great report image
    Abraham Lincoln (February 12, 1809 – April 15, 1865)
    5$ bills are WOW with the numbers - wanted:
    Wanted - Flipper notes with the numbers 6-9 or 0-6-9 ON 1$ 2$ 5$ 10$ 20$
    Wanted - 10$ Sereis 2013 - fancy Serial Numbers
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>the coins are overpriced! >>

Well...I spied 1 coin that might be a bargain if it was nice! A 1982 1/4 oz. Gold Panda for $550! That can't be too far out of line and might be a bargain!
  • SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Very Cool! Glad you had fun! What date will the show air?

Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the excellent report Charmy!

• MistercoinmanMistercoinman Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭
    Cool pics thanks for sharing.
  • What an awesome experience! Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing you on the TV!

Jacob
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Charmy, thanks. Judging from all the framed Hendrix photos Corey wasn't kidding when he said his dad was a big fan. (in a past episode)
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like great fun! image Thanks for sharing!

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for another great report. Your posts are always a must read. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post - I enjoyed reading it.
    Make sure to let us know when your segment is scheduled to air.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388

<< <i>the coins are overpriced! >>

And the "Priced as marked on all coin." sign is classic Engrish.
  • MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Great post, Charmy.

Why did I think the store would be a lot
    bigger than it is?

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• MoldnutMoldnut Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool report. I bet you have more fun than any other dealer aroundimage
    Derek

EAC 6024
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report, thanks Charmy.... sounds as if you enjoyed the experience. Now for some wine.... image Cheers, RickO
  • mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    Charmy,

since you're not guaranteed to have your segment aired is there any sort of clause in that NDA that will let you talk about what happened after some period of time? Would love to be able to hear about the offer if they don't air the segment!

• richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for posting.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report. I'm sorry I had to cancel the show. I got a wicked bad cough that won't let up. It would have been fun to see this, but I probably would have given everyone my cold.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, and keep 'em coming Charmy!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    How much were the Hendrix pictures going for?
  • GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    Awesome Charmy! Please let us know if the segment will air and on what date if/when you find out. Hope you took Corey to the cleaners!
    GMan
  • AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charmy very cool report and looks like a great place to see some cool stuff... Can`t wait to see the PS show...

ABimage
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rick...so you're the one that gave me this cold!!! From 2500 miles away...must really be a bad one.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • 123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Great report and photos! Let us know when the segment is to air.
  • ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can say that they told me they were very pleased with how things turned out in my segment and they kept telling me I was doing an excellent job. I said "I bet you tell that to all your sellers" and they empatically said "No!" And when I asked whether they thought my segment would actually air, they said they air about 98% of the segments they film. They said it would air anytime from 2 weeks to 2 years but generally they air within a couple months. Yes, I will definitely do a post when I find out the air date. I'm so excited to be on tv!

Sorry, I can't talk about my item, the negotiations, or anything done behind the scenes until my segment airs, not even in pms.

By the way, I only took a photo of one side of the store - the other side had a sign that said "no photos" because that is where the conducted business.
  • HighReliefHighRelief Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great report Charmy, looking forward to seeing you on Pawn Stars.
  • gonzergonzer Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry, I can't talk about my item, the negotiations, or anything done behind the scenes until my segment airs, not even in pms. >>

And all this time I thought you'd be just the type of person to rip the tags off of mattresses image
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun, thanks for sharing!

• << <i>I can say that they told me they were very pleased with how things turned out in my segment and they kept telling me I was doing an excellent job. I said "I bet you tell that to all your sellers" and they empatically said "No!" And when I asked whether they thought my segment would actually air, they said they air about 98% of the segments they film. They said it would air anytime from 2 weeks to 2 years but generally they air within a couple months. Yes, I will definitely do a post when I find out the air date. I'm so excited to be on tv!

Sorry, I can't talk about my item, the negotiations, or anything done behind the scenes until my segment airs, not even in pms.

By the way, I only took a photo of one side of the store - the other side had a sign that said "no photos" because that is where the conducted business. >>

I see only one down side PennyLady , you just used up your 15 minutes of fame image
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My question is, why were you selling to them? I can see you as one of the "walk-in" experts, but having you show-up, get ushered past others to "sell" them something really casts a pall for me on the whole show, which I records and watch faithfully. But it is after all Vegas and TV so I am really not surprised.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Great fun, and they choose very well, obviously. I look forward to seeing your episode as well. thanks for sharing.

American restoration is a good show too, funny you saw their truck too! image
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice report charmy. did ya pick up anything for yourself while you was there in the shop? just wondering
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    do they really need an "as seen on tv" sign?

great vintage items, though! you've got a good idea for the antiques. Perhaps you've got a second job waiting for you.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

• << <i>Great fun, and they choose very well, obviously. I look forward to seeing your episode as well. thanks for sharing.

American restoration is a good show too, funny you saw their truck too! image >>

Quite possibly that truck was coming or going from the pawn shop , before there was an american restoration show the Rick that runs it was the pawn shops guy to fix/restore things.
    I didn't just show up, I emailed them ahead of time about my item (non-numismatic) to see if they were interested in it as it had what I thought were some unique aspects. They called me and said they were very interested in having me and my item filmed for one of their episodes and we scheduled the filming for a time that I would be in Las Vegas.

I would love to be able to talk more about my experience but being an ex-litigation paralegal, I understand the seriousness of what it means to break a confidentiality agreement and don't want to go there.

And though I saw lots of things I would like to have like that juke box (we already have a restored 1956 Seeburg juke box and the one in their photo would go great right next to ours) but I restrained myself!
  • BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I didn't just show up, I emailed them ahead of time about my item (non-numismatic) to see if they were interested in it as it had what I thought were some unique aspects. They called me and said they were very interested in having me and my item filmed for one of their episodes and we scheduled the filming for a time that I would be in Las Vegas.

I would love to be able to talk more about my experience but being an ex-litigation paralegal, I understand the seriousness of what it means to break a confidentiality agreement and don't want to go there.

And though I saw lots of things I would like to have like that juke box (we already have a restored 1956 Seeburg juke box and the one in their photo would go great right next to ours) but I restrained myself! >>

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK Charmy... let's get to the nightlife and the wine....image Cheers, RickO
  • From the look on your face, I'd say you got what you wanted. image I'll bet it was a hoot!
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • TURBOTURBO Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    I'll be tuning in for sure!
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Looks like Chumlee put this together. The horn is facing the wrong way.
  • Space saving excercise ? Wouldn't the horn simply swivel around ?
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    What the heck IS that pictured above? It looks to me like a combination phonograph horn & fireplace bellows!!

I must say I am surprised that nobody you gave your camera to in order to take your picture ran away with it into the store & tried to pawn it!!

As far as the overpriced "as-marked" coins go, I'm not surprised they'd be over-priced. And, being so, they don't have to constantly re-adjust the price tags as precious metal prices rise......

And did anyone offer Rick a Riccola for his wheezy cough laugh while you were there?

Can't wait to see your episode!

- - Daveimage

By the way.... I have a new question they can pose to the audience on an upcoming episode: "What percent of the store's annual business now comes from sales of posters of themselves?"image
  • Yeah..the signed posters of themselves with big sold out sticker ...ummm..ok. we'll believe that one
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What the heck IS that pictured above? It looks to me like a combination phonograph horn & fireplace bellows!! >>

It took me a while to figure it out, but it's a foot-operated fog horn. If someone were to operate the foot pedal with their hands, the horn would blast them in the face. Likely it does just swivel around for proper use, but it had me saying, "wait... what?" when I saw it. Here's how it should look:
    (from HK Antiques website)
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like it is designed to blow when you push it down and when you release it.

And did anyone offer Rick a Riccola for his wheezy cough laugh while you were there?

No, I gave up the whole trip to Vegas. Still coughing, so I am glad I chose not to go, although I hear that a few Irish Car Bombs work great as a cough suppressant.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

<< <i>It looks like it is designed to blow when you push it down and when you release it.

No, I gave up the whole trip to Vegas. Still coughing, so I am glad I chose not to go, although I hear that a few Irish Car Bombs work great as a cough suppressant. >>

Rick, I hope you're feeling better and we miss you here in Vegas, but I think DBS was referring to Rick, the Pawn Stars guy whose laugh sounds like he's been smoking all his life! image

And the posters of the Pawn Stars guys had a sticker that said "sold out"! They also had lots of Pawn Stars memorabilia for sale - they gave me two free tees shirts when I was finished - I'll post pics of them later.

Here's more of my report from today...

Friday – The LVNS show is pretty large with about 200-250 dealers. And there was a very decent crowd when the show opened.

A few forum members stopped by with their significant others

FastRudy (“The Popcorn Guy”) and his wife

LasVegasTeddy and his girlfriend Teddy

AUandAG/Bob and his wife Linda

Sandy and John Gulde are our wonderful hardworking show promoters!

Sandy and her helper Asteris

John

And not so hard working Todd/Blu62Vette (JK!) and his dad Roger/MustangGT

Ian Russell of GreatCollections.com and me

Some of my newps

This is the first new Indian cent I’ve added to my personal collection in a long time. This one is gorgeous with beautiful sunset colors! And it’s the only “Red” coin in my collection. Todd took a photo of it so I’ll post it when I get it.

And for Ricko and the other wine lovers – this is what I opened yesterday and am finishing off today

And this one I’ll open tomorrow!

That’s it for now – after the show ends today some of us are going out to celebrate another dealer’s birthday, then of course it’s more poker for me! More later….

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file