Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

This guy I met recently shared his numismatic investment strategy with me.

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
First he asked if I liked NASCAR.

"Nope, sorry," I said. "I get bored watching cars drive around in a circle."

"Football?"

"Nope, couldn't care less. I'd rather watch grass grow or cars drive around in a circle."

"ANY sports?"

"Nope, I guess I'm just your bookish, nerdy type."

Apparently he wasn't disappointed enough by my lack of "manly" hobbies to give me up as a complete lost cause. When the numismatic topic came around, he mentioned he had a line on a potentially hot investment, himself. He saw a pretty good upside in...

Statehood quarter teddy bears.

Then his conversation somehow veered off into a bitter diatribe about a former African-American boss of his, and the "N" word came out. Isn't it funny how some people always seem to begin such sentences with, "I'm not a racist, but...", and then continue with the vilest, nastiest racist language imaginable? Maybe that's just a Southern thing, but I doubt it. There are backwards people everywhere.

I changed the subject to something more bland and neutral before I finally walked off.

Hey, you heard it here, folks. Take it from my new acquaintance. You'd better put your money in Statehood quarter teddy bears, quickly, before they're all gone.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    at least some teddy's are getting respect even if they're statehood bears
    lord knows
    i've got a couple teddy's runnin round in me i'd love to find and strangle...image
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

And all this time, I thought it was the Statehood Quarter SPOONS that were the winners.

Darn.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Maybe that's just a Southern thing,....... >>

Wow! Talk about stereotyping people. image

Edited to add the wink since I was only kidding Lordmarcovan.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Haha. You're right. I'm almost as bad about stereotyping my Southern brethren as HE was when he went on about his boss.

Some people set themselves up to live the stereotypes, though, unfortunately.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck are statehood quarter teddy bears?? Ah, never mind, will likely not even be as popular as beanie babies. image Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>What the heck are statehood quarter teddy bears?? Ah, never mind, will likely not even be as popular as beanie babies. >>

That's the idea, ricko. They're a fusion of the two collectibles. And actually, if I may say so, they're probably a pretty clever venture... for the manufacturers.

Here. Just one site that Google fetched..

I don't know what kind of new holder PCGS is planning for these, though. Maybe something along the lines of a hermetically sealed lucite box? Will CAC put "green bean" stickers on the ears of PQ bears? Who knows.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those aren't the teddies that get my attention. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    I don't think I'll see him in Forbes anytime soon.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much you wanna' bet those teddies are made in China?
  • Options
    habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lordie,,,, Lordie,,,, Lordie....

What was the reason for even mentioning:::

<Then his conversation somehow veered off into a bitter diatribe about a former African-American boss of his, and the "N" word came out. Isn't it funny how some people always seem to begin such sentences with, "I'm not a racist, but...", and then continue with the vilest, nastiest racist language imaginable? Maybe that's just a Southern thing, but I doubt it. There are backwards people everywhere.>>

How in the world is this at all coin related?

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he meant Beenie Babies...??

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To je govno
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    I fail to see the point of this thread but what ever.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I fail to see the point of this thread but what ever. >>

Don't be so serious. Lordmarcovan was just sharing an interesting and funny story---imagine someone advocating investing in statehood quarter teddy bears. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lordie,,,, Lordie,,,, Lordie....

<Then his conversation somehow veered off into a bitter diatribe about a former African-American boss of his, and the "N" word came out. Isn't it funny how some people always seem to begin such sentences with, "I'm not a racist, but...", and then continue with the vilest, nastiest racist language imaginable? Maybe that's just a Southern thing, but I doubt it. There are backwards people everywhere.>>

How in the world is this at all coin related? >>

I think that part of the story was included to help demonstrate that the guy was a complete idiot.

But I wish he didn't spill the beans about the Statehood 25c teddy bears. I'm not quite done with my collection, so I don't want prices to skyrocket just yet! image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe i can trade some pokeman cards for them beanie babies someday image
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe i can trade some pokeman cards for them beanie babies someday image >>

Sorry to be OT but do beanie babies have much value? I have about 100, some old, and some pretty rare.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If some entrepreneur at the 1892 Columbian Expo had thought to sell something similar, I suspect that his products would have been a better investment than the coins alone.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>maybe i can trade some pokeman cards for them beanie babies someday image >>

Sorry to be OT but do beanie babies have much value? I have about 100, some old, and some pretty rare. >>

They used too many years ago but not anymore.
    Positive:
    BST Transactions: DonnyJf, MrOrganic, Justanothercoinaddict, Fivecents, Slq, Jdimmick,
    Robb, Tee135, Ibzman350, Mercfan, Outhaul, Erickso1, Cugamongacoins, Indiananationals, Wayne Herndon

Negative BST Transactions:
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Sorry to be OT but do beanie babies have much value? I have about 100, some old, and some pretty rare. >>

Most are worthless but a few select purple ones still get big bucks, check da bay.
  • Options
    Statehood Teddy Bears? oookay.

Your story reminds of this old man I used to talk to. Claims he's not prejudice because he hates all races equally, except for his own.
  • Options
    Was the Vermont Teddy Bear Co. making these at one time? I seem to remember seeing an ad from them.

Ron
    Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options

He's been watching to much Disney channel, if its around anymore.image
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    Those aren't the teddies that get my attention

Hmmmm it is the stuff inside the teddys that get my attention.
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • Options

<< <i>

I think that part of the story was included to help demonstrate that the guy was a complete idiot.

But I wish he didn't spill the beans about the Statehood 25c teddy bears. I'm not quite done with my collection, so I don't want prices to skyrocket just yet! image >>

If I had Known, I could have sent you my Pcgs ms69 plused collection of Teddy's instead of the other collectionimage
    NumbersUsa, FairUs, Alipac, CapsWeb, and TeamAmericaPac
  • Options
    I'm waiting for the statehood quarter gold-plated teddy bears.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options

<< <i>I'm waiting for the statehood quarter gold-plated teddy bears. >>

I wouldn't be at ALL surprised if they're already out there.

Or the colorized Statehood quarter bears, where not just the bears come in a rainbow of colors, but the quarters, too.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kudos to you listening to all that dribble.

your diplomatic skills exceed mine when it comes to listening to ignorance, a skill i have never proclaimed to have nor desire to

in no small part why so many like you, a LOT of discipline and self-restraint

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file