Home U.S. Coin Forum

Guy paid $1 for a Pewter Continental dollar...

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
News story from Fox44 out of Burlington VT says a Vermont man paid $1 for it at a flea market in the 60s. The coin now resides in a PCGS MS64 holder! Not a bad payday.

The PCGS Cert number from the news story is 24516854. I took a quick image. It was a transitioning shot, so you see the lady's and the man's outlines. I didn't catch the whole story as I was fumbling around trying to take a picture. Looks like a nice coin though!

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Wish i had that kind of luck, thats a nice looking coin.
    Positive BST transactions:michaeldixon,nibanny,
    type2,CCHunter.
  • AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    What were they worth in the 60's?
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• << <i>What were they worth in the 60's? >>

Apparently $1.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • My 1962 redbook lists it at 330 in Unc , it also mentions copies of this were made in 1876 for the centennial expo.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And for everyone of these there are thousands of people who make a similar type of purchase only to take home junk.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And here I thought this was going to be a hotel buyer ripping someone. Cool!
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    i heard of one being found in a garden by a NH resident, along with a handful of other old coins.
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take
    "hearsay for a hundred grand," Alex
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stories such as this bring out the treasure hunter in all of us. Cheers,RickO
  • Call me a skeptic, but it is a good story.

• << <i>Call me a skeptic, but it is a good story. >>

Im also in the skeptic camp , apparantly the guy was or is a coin collector according to the reports , why wait 50 years to have it checked out ? If it really was in a wallet for these 50 years and pewter being a soft metal..would it really grade MS ?

• << <i>

<< <i>Call me a skeptic, but it is a good story. >>

Im also in the skeptic camp , apparantly the guy was or is a coin collector according to the reports , why wait 50 years to have it checked out ? If it really was in a wallet for these 50 years and pewter being a soft metal..would it really grade MS ? >>

No chance.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What were they worth in the 60's? >>

According to the 1965 Red Book the most common variety was going for $575.00 in Uncirculated.

New England has yielded some real treasures in years past. I don't when it happened, but years ago a guy in Maine bought 50 large cents for $50. This was one them. image

As the story goes the scratches were put on the piece AFTER the guy bought it. He was not much of a numismatist and carried it around in his wallet to show off to people.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

dang
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Call me a skeptic, but it is a good story. >>

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice story, happy
    endings I like !!!
    Timbuk3
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's my absolute favorite coin.

My brother lives in Northern, NH. I've told my wife for years how cool it would be to wonder into one of the antique shops and find a Continental Dollar (or a nice Colonial).

So neat to think that it's been floating around for over 200 years.

It's also interesting how, after nearly 200 years, they were worth about $500 - $600 yet over the last 45 or so years they've gone from there to six figures. Even inflation adjusted, that's just amazing.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The CW story has the guy buying it for a $1 and wrapping it up and carrying it in his billfold for 40+ years. I don't see how it could stay in MS64 under those conditions. If you put a wrapped BU Morgan in your billfold for one year I just doubt that it would stay that way. There wuld have to be some rub on it. BTW what a bump in you back pocket.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file