Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sidebar to RYK: Here's My North Georgia Collection Coins

I remember a while back that RYK and I were discussing (via e-mail) our respective coins from the North Georgia Collection of Dahlonega and Charlotte gold. At the time, I didn't have photos of all of them, but (after the 2012 FUN Show) now I do, so I thought that it would be appropriate to revisit the topic.

For those unfamiliar with the collection, it was owned by a North Georgia businessman and the majority of it was sold in 1998-1999. The first portion was sold by fixed price list (via a partnership called the Charlotte Gold Company), in the summer of 1998. The rest was consigned to Heritage and was auctioned at FUN 1999. Each coin was certified by PCGS in the new (at the time) blue cert label holders, with "North Georgia" indicated on cert label. All of mine are Dahlonega pieces; two came from the fixed price list and two came from the auction. As a side note, the Eliasberg 1849-D gold dollar was the first North Georgia coin to be hammered down in the auction that night, so I didn't even get a chance to "warm up." The coins are in the order in which I obtained them. The photography is courtesy of BluCC and TrueView.

The last one was formerly in the James A. Stack Collection.

"Clamorous for Coin"

Comments

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    LOVE the 1840!
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Classof67Classof67 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭
    Great gold!
    GREAT BST transactions with Wondercoin, segoja, moderncoinmart, notwilight, wingsrule, 123cents, fivecents, hunted, alohagary, ibzman350, WTCG, sonofagunk, amigo, coincoins, dcgolfer, chumley, nycounsel, tootawl, guitarwes, kimber45ACP, Zubie, Egger, RYK, 1tommy, EagleEye, NEFPROLLC, jmdm1194, Coinfolio
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding coins, GK!

I love the color on the 40-D QE. image
  • Options
    Some nice branch mint gold, especially the 1840-D!!!image
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭
    You rock, George. Absolutely beautiful. I love that green gold color of the '44-D.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someday I hope to join the Dahlonega gold club. Great specimens you posted!
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    That 1840 QE is WimageW !
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    While the 1840-D has most certainly been cleaned or polished at one point, it's rarity is of significant interest.

My personal favorite is the 1859-D, just a lovely looking coin all around image
  • Options
    Here are my two North Georgia Collection coins:

• Options

<< <i>Here are my two North Georgia Collection coins:

image >>

Those are nice coins! Do you know if they are from the Heritage auction or the fixed price list? I still have the latter, if you need for me to look up anything for you.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    Those are nice coins! Do you know if they are from the Heritage auction or the fixed price list? I still have the latter, if you need for me to look up anything for you.

Both are from the fixed price list.
  • Options

<< <i>Outstanding coins, GK!

I love the color on the 40-D QE. image >>

Thanks for all of the nice comments! For those who may not be familiar with the 1840-D quarter eagle, all 3,542 of the year's production were struck in one press run on November 23, 1840. Most examples have very poor eye appeal and were struck from severely cracked dies. This example must have been one of the first coins to be struck, before the dies began cracking.

The Stack gold coins were auctioned by Stack's (no relation) in October 1994, some 44 years after Mr. Stack's death, during which time they had been locked away in a bank vault. At the auction, the coin brought $11,000, uncertified (as was the entire collection), over twice the Coin World Trends value. I was intrigued with the coloration of the coin in 1994 (from the auction catalog's color plates--very few coins were plated in color in those days) and finally had a chance to buy it from Doug Winter at the 2008 ANA in Baltimore.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Darn! I love Southern Gold!!!
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GK,
    Wonderful coins! I like the Longacre doubling of the stars on the ’49-D gold Dollar. It gives the stars a bold outlined appearance.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, them are purdy. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was doing a little research on the North Georgia Collection and came across this thread. Anyone else have pics of a coin from this pedigree to show ?

• Options

@Proofmorgan said:

Very nice !

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shore is a wow!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very original coins. And for those who have the chance Dahlonega is well worth the visit. Before I did an Appalachian Trail hike I stopped there for a weekend fair with historical themed exhibits like gold mining and moonshine stills.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 42-D> @Proofmorgan said:

As the previous owner I can certainly say that the coin is impressive. It is also from the James Stack collection which was a great collection.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski... That is a beautiful 1838 Charlotte... is that lighting or is there something at the base of the C?
    Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2017 7:53AM

Superb coins in here!

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love the 44-D, GK...also the 42-D SD is a great coin!

• Options

@Ronyahski said:
    Here's one I have owned for a while. 1838 - C PCGS 64 CAC. Pop 1 / 0 and finest known.

Not a good picture at all of the coin, it is from an old auction listing, but the only pic I have. A couple of top dealers told me to resubmit for an upgrade. Personally, I think it is fine where it is. A fantastic Charlotte coin.

Amazing coin! And I agree about leaving it where it is. Its pop 1 already. Plus Charlotte gold is so hard to get stickered---in a way its more unique 64 with sticker then 65 without.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @Ronyahski... That is a beautiful 1838 Charlotte... is that lighting or is there something at the base of the C?
    Cheers, RickO

It is a repunched C, first punch was way too low.. They are all like that as there was only one die pair.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

awesome looking gold.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski.....Thank you, I did not know that.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2017 7:07PM

Just had Todd photograph my 1854-D Three North Georgia at Orlando ANA.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gotta admit - while I love Capped Bust Dimes and quarters, the pictures in this thread is making me want to collect these coins. Absolutely fabulous looking coins!

Easton Collection
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

A couple of North Georgia, Dahlonega Mint Half Eagles

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

That reminded me, I own the North Georgia $5 1838 - D in PCGS 62. The collection also had 4 more $5 1838- Ds in AU55, including the one above.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file