Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is anyone else upset by the attack on MCM in the 2/27 issue of CW??

1235»

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I would just let it die and move on. Most people are smart enough to figure it out for themselves. As far as what you did to buy the sets i do not care one way or the other. You play within the rules and still people get worked up. Personally the more you reply the more turned off some will become that are on your side. >>

Whose rules and what rules? The mint doesn't have any rules, just limits and if they did have rules such as a person having more than one CC can't have the same addy for both CCs, those rules would be inconsequential. I'm sure they are aware of people asking others to buy for them. That practice while not wrong or illegal does tend to leave those who end up SOL a little miffed and who can blame them. >>

True but the same people who are complaining they had to work and could not order could have recruited people to order for them, 99% of people have friends and relatives. Those who are upset should be upset with themselves for inadequate planning and they need to own that instead of projecting it onto MCM. >>

I'm sure some of them did but it was frustrating as hell trying to get through all day with no assurance that you'd get one.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I would just let it die and move on. Most people are smart enough to figure it out for themselves. As far as what you did to buy the sets i do not care one way or the other. You play within the rules and still people get worked up. Personally the more you reply the more turned off some will become that are on your side. >>

Whose rules and what rules? The mint doesn't have any rules, just limits and if they did have rules such as a person having more than one CC can't have the same addy for both CCs, those rules would be inconsequential. I'm sure they are aware of people asking others to buy for them. That practice while not wrong or illegal does tend to leave those who end up SOL a little miffed and who can blame them. >>

True but the same people who are complaining they had to work and could not order could have recruited people to order for them, 99% of people have friends and relatives. Those who are upset should be upset with themselves for inadequate planning and they need to own that instead of projecting it onto MCM. >>

I'm sure some of them did but it was frustrating as hell trying to get through all day with no assurance that you'd get one. >>

I know I was on the phone and Internet and it took me 37 minutes to get mine ordered. After seeing what others did I still kick myself for not ordering more for shipment to my parents and brother and sister. I'm sure I could have got more ordered but foolishly held myself to a strict interpretation of the intent of the limit. I won't do that again after the schooling I got. From this point on with items like this it's survival of the fittest.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>......... The classy and correct move, IMO, was to let it pass and move on. >>

Are you saying that John should have simply kept silent on this?

If you had a totally upstanding business which you worked extremely hard to build and maintain, and a major publication in your industry published a hit piece like this - "guest commentary" or otherwise - about your company you would have simply remained totally silent? Really? >>

Validating the opinion piece with a public response only draws more attention to it. Think about it-- does Walmart or GE or Apple go around arguing with every negative article written about them?

When I first saw the article a week or two ago, I quickly read it, did not think much of it, and moved on. Same with most other people. Now that I have had the encouragement to re-read the article, read the rebuttal, and dissect all of the content, my opinion of MCM is much lower than it was before your thread was posted. Maybe there should be an official response to your starting this inflammatory thread. image

The last thing I would do is try to publicly discredit the author, and the next to last thing I would do is engage a bunch of clowns on a message board on the subject, and then link the message board thread to the "official response".

I guess the best thing to come of this whole fiasco is that MCM will save the $180k they spent last year advertising with CW.

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    I don't get it, John, I really don't.

The mint set limits in an attempt to allow them to have a small mintage while still allowing every individual who wanted a set of these to get one.

You contracted agents to work on your behalf to circumvent these limits and the side effect was that a lot of people who wanted to order these sets could not get one. Except from you and other people who did the same thing. And then at a substantial markup.

And now your feelings are hurt that someone who was angry about it got a rant published somewhere?

I was pretty ambivalent about the whole affair, as I didn't want one of these sets then, and don't now, but you being so angry about this is, as others have mentioned it might, has swayed my opinion. Look, when you do this sort of thing to people and make a big stack of money and then get called out on it you might want to try taking the "look sheepish" route instead of the "righteous indignation" route.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>......... The classy and correct move, IMO, was to let it pass and move on. >>

Are you saying that John should have simply kept silent on this?

If you had a totally upstanding business which you worked extremely hard to build and maintain, and a major publication in your industry published a hit piece like this - "guest commentary" or otherwise - about your company you would have simply remained totally silent? Really? >>

Validating the opinion piece with a public response only draws more attention to it. Think about it-- does Walmart or GE or Apple go around arguing with every negative article written about them?

When I first saw the article a week or two ago, I quickly read it, did not think much of it, and moved on. Same with most other people. Now that I have had the encouragement to re-read the article, read the rebuttal, and dissect all of the content, my opinion of MCM is much lower than it was before your thread was posted. Maybe there should be an official response to your starting this inflammatory thread. image

The last thing I would do is try to publicly discredit the author, and the next to last thing I would do is engage a bunch of clowns on a message board on the subject, and then link the message board thread to the "official response".

I guess the best thing to come of this whole fiasco is that MCM will save the $180k they spent last year advertising with CW. >>

Certainly some of the largest companies in the U.S. don't respond to everything written about them. Of course, such companies have entire public affairs/public relations depts. to deal with major issues.

For John's company, such an artilce in a major publication related to his business is a major issue.

If I were in John's position I'd have the same reaction. This is only made more so the case when one considers the advertising money spent with this publication.

If CW does not like this thread I invite them to bring it on, I'm right here :-)
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many of you guys don' remember the days back in 2001/2002 when just about ANY dealer (and many collectors as well) who dealt in moderns was "attacked" on literally a daily basis right here (and other places as well). The best I could, I tried to enter into friendly dialog with those critics of moderns (and still try to to this day). I truly believe in many selected modern coins and, in fact, some of the "moderns" from back in 2001 are already considered "classics" today. I see where RYK is coming from ... there is a famous line from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III, Scene 2 that goes to the heart of what he is saying I suspect. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with him.

Raufus... you have done a fine job in posting this thread. But, is it time to move on? Unless, of course, there is a purpose in keeping this thread alive. I actually see a great purpose myself ....

The most useful thing that could happen from here, in my opinion, is for ALL of us to invite that individual who wrote the commentary to join us here in a friendly and meaningful discussion of the issues. Not to threaten to "tar and feather" the passionate individual who wrote that piece, but to welcome him here in order to try to educate him on why the actions of MCM, myself, and the dozen or two (or three) of other individuals and companies that offered to purchase sets was done in good faith and in no way against the hobby in general. That would be a useful exchange. What is going on here over the past 24 hours is, in my humble opinion, of no meaningful benefit to anyone. Let's get that writer to join us all right here in a "town meeting" in order to exchange all of our ideas and see if we end up with simply an agreement to disagree, or whether we can show that writer why he might have been unfair to MCM with his piece. I think it would be a very interesting exchange to say the least as opposed to what is going on right now.

Just my 2 cents

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Ahhhhhhhhhh heck with it wondercoin I prefer the tar and feather thing image This thread will live on because every time I come to this site these days its nothing but talk about some old coin. image

The darn mint needs to get their line up out so we can have something useful to discuss regarding moderns. Its kind of like the off season right now. image
    Currently working with nurmaler. Older transactions....circa 2011 BST transactions Gecko109, Segoja, lpinion, Agblox, oldgumballmachineswanted,pragmaticgoat, CharlieC, onlyroosies, timrutnat, ShinyThingsInPM under login lightcycler
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

That is pretty much a non-op for most people.
    First off, most folks don't understand coin collectors. They aren't sure what they need to get, or start 2nd guessing themselves.

Then, they get frustrated as it isn't for them. For many, it doesn't matter if it is for their family or friend, if they aren't more knowledgeable, many will say "screw it" and move on when it takes more than a few minutes.

You then are likely to say "well, PAY someone to do it if you wanted it that badly"......all fine and dandy, on paper, but in reality, you are now increasing your base cost anyway (and that's what people are complaining about...not being able to get it at issue price), and those same people, depending on how much you will pay them, may get frustrated and give up.

Sorry, but your solution is not a valid one for most folks as they do not have numismatic understanding flipper friends who know what to do and will stay with something as frustrating as the mint's ordering system. Think about some of the threads of the sets where people admitted they had pre-sold but couldn't get through. And, those are numismatic flippers who know what to do and when.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Nothing personal but from a business standpoint, I did not go directly to Beth for what I feel are good reasons based on passed experience. I did bring it to the people at Amos that can look at it and respond as they see fit.

To those that think I am harming my company's image by being actively involved here, understand that I probably ignore 95% of any negative press or individual attacks in terms of publicly responding. Also understand that this wasn't something I could just "blow off" as the price I pay for being successful. It was a 5,000 pound bomb on MCM's reputation. Uninformed readers would interpret it without knowing all the facts. My purpose was to bring all the facts and opinions of others forward, which I have done, with the addition of comments we received by email to our office posted on our blog here:

Comments on Blogspot

As for those few that are still baffled I would react this way since in their words I so blatantly contracted others to circumvent limits, there is nothing more I can say except that you either are simply not listening to the vast majority, or your opinion has been formed and will not be swayed. My bottom line, I am in business to buy and sell and coins, and I did nothing wrong.

I am now done putting forth information, and on my side of the fence the issue is rested. Thanks to all.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    I find it interesting in talking with customers who actually did this through Modern Coin Mart. MCM failed in holding to their end of the agreement (even though they knew they were getting them much cheaper than the market value at the time). Many of the customers' checks were not sent when they were promised and when the customers asked about the agreement, the company called them "problem customers". Really? A good company? John is out for the money only. Not a true numismatic individual.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I find it interesting in talking with customers who actually did this through Modern Coin Mart. MCM failed in holding to their end of the agreement (even though they knew they were getting them much cheaper than the market value at the time). Many of the customers' checks were not sent when they were promised and when the customers asked about the agreement, the company called them "problem customers". Really? A good company? John is out for the money only. Not a true numismatic individual. >>

A live hand grenade had been rolled into this thread. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I find it interesting in talking with customers who actually did this through Modern Coin Mart. MCM failed in holding to their end of the agreement (even though they knew they were getting them much cheaper than the market value at the time). Many of the customers' checks were not sent when they were promised and when the customers asked about the agreement, the company called them "problem customers". Really? A good company? John is out for the money only. Not a true numismatic individual. >>

A live hand grenade had been rolled into this thread. MJ >>

It was bound to happen.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

There may be others. image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

..........by a new forum member with a post count of 1 and who is also probably an alt.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A live hand grenade had been rolled into this thread. MJ >>

• Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Just when I thought I could move on.....

I have no idea what this "new member" is talking about. Is it possible that out of hundreds of transactions a few may not have got payment by overnight (if that was promised) or a day or two later than promised? Yes, it is possible. Did we then call them problem customers? No way not unless if there was much more to it. At one point during all of this we had the local mail truck arrivng full with our stuff and leaving full with outgoing. As hard as we tried a very few payments may have been delayed a little longer than promised. Not the norm. If it was, we wouldn't buy as many coins from as many people as we do.

John

edited to add:

Wow, I just realized I didn't even bother to address the character issues posed by new member gacoin. A good company? YES Sir I believe so. Only in it for the money? NO.
    Money, a primary reason for being in business, YES.

However, we avoid many tactics that could increase profits..... ridiculous claims of high profit potential, over the top hype, high pressure sales tactics, and on and on. We also care intensely about the hobby and particularly the moderns market because we believe in it.

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    OMG ....Forgive you old insane people that put sh!t on the BST......Who want's some classic worn out POS
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    would someone please start a thread titled :

" are your feelings hurt because you didn't get what you wanted and ended up on The People's Court at the U.S. Coin Forum ? "

And please add a poll , too.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it interesting in talking with customers who actually did this through Modern Coin Mart.

Anyone who spent 5 hours trying to order this set for the sake of $60/set could be considered greedy, since they were only doing it for the money, donch'a think?

MCM failed in holding to their end of the agreement (even though they knew they were getting them much cheaper than the market value at the time). Many of the customers' checks were not sent when they were promised and when the customers asked about the agreement, the company called them "problem customers".

Did I miss some important details about MCM's contract performance? Where's the documentation, if I might ask?

Really? A good company? John is out for the money only. Not a true numismatic individual.

You know, I've got to put quite a bit more credibility with a known company, that is providing a desirable product at reasonable prices - than a first time (anonymous) poster who makes derogatory and unsubstantiated comments about someone in a situation in which he says he had no involvement.

Why would someone who doesn't care to own this set even care about MCM's activities? Inquiring minds would want to know who this poster really is, wouldn't they?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>A good company? John is out for the money only. >>

How are you paid at the company you work for?

Just wondering... image
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭
    I stopped reading this forum the past few days because I think participants have huge agendas, which may it be political, personal or business related.

To read the missives posted on this forum is time poorly spent.

Wow.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I stopped reading this forum the past few days because I think participants have huge agendas, which may it be political, personal or business related.

To read the missives posted on this forum is time poorly spent.

Wow. >>

Agree but it so entertaining.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap, this thread is still alive?

To answer Raufus' original question: no!
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a little surprised about the reaction to this article. It appears to be very typical of the sentiment in our society that a 'victim' would try to find a 'villian' who was responsible for taking advantage of the resources at hand in a lawful manner, at the expense of a segment of society who have a 'right' to get what they want, when they want it (as long as they don't have to go out of their way or do anything for it). The author of this article obviously feels that determining who gets what coins would be much better served if he, or some other small minded person in a position of authority were in charge...for our own good and protection. Ingenuity, hard work, hustle, and persistence against the odds seem to be looked at as negative traits or just plain 'greedy' when they result in success these days, but attributes such as these are what I believe has made the U.S.A. the greatest country on earth, and I can't help but feel sad that this ideal appears to be changing (IMO) for the worse. While I might be a little envious of Mr. Maben's success, I certainly can respect and applaud his efforts to succeed in today's world, even if it is at the expense of the 'victims'. Just a thought...I could be wrong!
    P.S. Sorry for the blank post above, I rarely respond to blogs, and I am clearly not good at it![/

The 'hand grenade' above could not have illustrated my point better.
    Rick
  • Options

If only MCM didn't exist, the other companies would be in it for the furtherment of humankind.

Seriously, the problem lies with the to high order limit, not the premiums offered by dealers.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

If only MCM didn't exist, the other companies would be in it for the furtherment of humankind.

LOL!!!!!!!

I have a lot of rent property, very few renters send me a xmas card, the few that are late on paying do not think highly of me and those that pay on time probably do not think much nicer thoughts.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    IrishMikeyIrishMikey Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭
    In partial defense of CW, there were a number of letters to the editor complaining about the ordering process.
    Many of these collectors were obviously unaware of how the "system" worked, assuming that companies like
    HSN had ordered all of the sets they were selling straight from the Mint.

I would have been fine with the guest editorial had it been directed at a "generic" company. The big problem I
    had was that the author picked on MCM -- as others have stated, MCM is about as above-board as it gets. I
    doubt that the editorial will hurt them, fortunately, and if CW gives John rebuttal space, MCM will probably come
    out ahead.
  • Options
    Well, I guess it's time for my two cents. This reminds me of the "late" Direct Ship Dollar program from the mint, where you could buy dollars at face value, and pay no shipping. Many people "bought" the dollars on their credit cards, got the frequent flyer miles, and simply redeposited the dollars with their local bank. Legal? You bet your life! The mint, however, said that it did not fulfill the "spirit" of the program. They said, and I quote: "The immediate bank deposit of $1 Coins ordered through this Program does not result in their introduction into circulation and, therefore, does not comply with the intended purpose of the Program". So, what happened to the program? The only thing that could have happened, the Mint shut it down! My point is that once the Mint felt they were being taken advantage of, they shut it down. Were the people who did this acting improperly? Absolutely not! It's called a loophole, and if people are smart enough to take advantage of it, so be it! There is absolutely nothing wrong with what MCM did. In fact, I personally sold them some 10th Anniversary Platinum Eagle sets when they were running a similar offer. I bought a set or two for my collection, and made a few bucks by selling MCM the rest. Same for the 20th Anniversary Eagles, and the 20 dollar UHR gold coin. Business is business, and this is business done right! I believe that a little cut back of the (very) expensive spreads that MCM runs in CW is in order. What do you think, John?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that you should go back a page and read the post by mingot; it's spot on.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John said a page ago that he was finished commenting on this thread and that is probably a good idea as the issues have been debated quite heavily already.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file