Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is anyone else upset by the attack on MCM in the 2/27 issue of CW??

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cakes... I am not convinced of that. Unless you feel Coin World also had an "axe to grind with MCM" on 11/14/11 when they singled them out as well (something I feel strongly is not the case)?

MCM has built a strong presence in the modern coin arena and with that comes the good (most of the time) and the bad (every now and again).

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    JohnMabenJohnMaben Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    I agree with cakes Mitch. In fact, I think it's rather obvious. What I'd REALLY like is for that person to come forward and identify themselves to me and the community other than just in name. Until then, I have no proof that they are even a real person. It is entirely possible to get things published under ficticious names.

John

John Maben
    Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
    ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
    800-381-2646

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that Coin World has some sort of axe to grind with MCM. They should have contacted MCM about the letter and have gotten a reply to publish at the same time. Any company that spends over $184,000 for Advertisement should be entitled a lot more respect than MCM received. As for me I’ll cancel my subscription.
    I wish MCM all the best…They are a fine dealer to do business with.
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that Coin World has some sort of axe to grind with MCM. They should have contacted MCM about the letter and have gotten a reply to publish at the same time. Any company that spends over $184,000 for Advertisement should be entitled a lot more respect than MCM received. As for me I’ll cancel my subscription.
    I wish MCM all the best…They are a fine dealer to do business with. >>

I didn't want to go there but I do agree it is a possibility. It could be a very minor connection but it's entirely possible the letter writer has some kind of relationship with someone at Coin World.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>Cakes... I am not convinced of that. Unless you feel Coin World also had an "axe to grind with MCM" on 11/14/11 when they singled them out as well (something I feel strongly is not the case)?

MCM has built a strong presence in the modern coin arena and with that comes the good (most of the time) and the bad (every now and again).

Wondercoin >>

It just doesn't add up, anyone who took the time to research and write in would have uncovered many other companies doing the exact same thing and could have at least wrote MCM, Apmex, etc...

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

<< <i>I agree with cakes Mitch. In fact, I think it's rather obvious. What I'd REALLY like is for that person to come forward and identify themselves to me and the community other than just in name. Until then, I have no proof that they are even a real person. It is entirely possible to get things published under ficticious names.

John >>

If investigated further what would be reven worse is to find out the letter writer is somehow connected to a competitor that could stand to benefit from MCM taking a PR hit.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"That means that set now has a cost basis of about $900 or less depending on his bulk rate."

Bajerfan... Please just PM me to discuss the details as this is not the place to do so. Just one quick comment to address your math eror .. if a set costs $300 from the mint and $150 to grade (hypothetically), the cost is $450/set total, not $900/set.

Wondercoin >>

My error Mitch. The grading was discussed as around $900 for the 5 sets as I recall; less for those submitting bulk.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the writer mentioned that his family had been collecting for generations, does anyone here know of him or his family? Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Kind of weird that CW would allow someone to use their publication for what amounts to their own personal pulpit. If you are going to bash the practice, then bash everyone who does it.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"That means that set now has a cost basis of about $900 or less depending on his bulk rate."

Bajerfan... Please just PM me to discuss the details as this is not the place to do so. Just one quick comment to address your math eror .. if a set costs $300 from the mint and $150 to grade (hypothetically), the cost is $450/set total, not $900/set.

Wondercoin >>

My error Mitch. The grading was discussed as around $900 for the 5 sets as I recall; less for those submitting bulk. >>

25 coins (5 per set, so a box of 5 gives 25 coins total).
    Modern grading fee = $14 per coin.
    1st strike designation, if chosen, = $18 per coin.
    That's $32 per coin for combo grading/1st strike fee.

$32 x 25 coins = $800. Add any shipping fees (and any return of materials) and it goes up.
    When I submitted, I just rounded it to $900 for my own mind set because I did have to pay shipping each way (I can't just pick them up) and I did get the materials returned (before the price went up due to the size/weight of the holder the USMint used).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'm Had as MEL , and I'm not gonna take it any more." image

(that's an inside the mint , security guard joke )

It's funny how the the law of supply and demand tends to work best for those who pay for advertising or have the "inside track" through connections. It's hard to blame or begrudge any business who conducts their business through advertising.

While I still haven't read the "complaint", I don't put the blame on anyone outside of the Main distribution point with most of these "modern" issues, or the fiascos that follow them.
  • Options
    Rick
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Kind of weird that CW would allow someone to use their publication for what amounts to their own personal pulpit. If you are going to bash the practice, then bash everyone who does it. >>

That's what happens every week in the Guest Commentary and Letters to the Editor. It's nothing new.
  • Options
    Mcm did nothing wrong in offering to buy customers sets.The preferred dealers that cherry picked the ATB`s and kept the cream and sold the clabber to the public that is still wrong and should have been corrected, and the dealers that did it punished. No comparison between these two things.
  • Options
    I'm a little surprised about the reaction to this article. It appears to be very typical of the sentiment in our society that a 'victim' would try to find a 'villian' who was responsible for taking advantage of the resources at hand in a lawful manner, at the expense of a segment of society who have a 'right' to get what they want, when they want it (as long as they don't have to go out of their way or do anything for it). The author of this article obviously feels that determining who gets what coins would be much better served if he, or some other small minded person in a position of authority were in charge...for our own good and protection. Ingenuity, hard work, hustle, and persistence against the odds seem to be looked at as negative traits or just plain 'greedy' when they result in success these days, but attributes such as these are what I believe has made the U.S.A. the greatest country on earth, and I can't help but feel sad that this ideal appears to be changing (IMO) for the worse. While I might be a little envious of Mr. Maben's success, I certainly can respect and applaud his efforts to succeed in today's world, even if it is at the expense of the 'victims'. Just a thought...I could be wrong!
    P.S. Sorry for the blank post above, I rarely respond to blogs, and I am clearly not good at it!
    Rick
  • Options

<< <i>I'm a little surprised about the reaction to this article. It appears to be very typical of the sentiment in our society that a 'victim' would try to find a 'villian' who was responsible for taking advantage of the resources at hand in a lawful manner, at the expense of a segment of society who have a 'right' to get what they want, when they want it (as long as they don't have to go out of their way or do anything for it). The author of this article obviously feels that determining who gets what coins would be much better served if he, or some other small minded person in a position of authority were in charge...for our own good and protection. Ingenuity, hard work, hustle, and persistence against the odds seem to be looked at as negative traits or just plain 'greedy' when they result in success these days, but attributes such as these are what I believe has made the U.S.A. the greatest country on earth, and I can't help but feel sad that this ideal appears to be changing (IMO) for the worse. While I might be a little envious of Mr. Maben's success, I certainly can respect and applaud his efforts to succeed in today's world, even if it is at the expense of the 'victims'. Just a thought...I could be wrong!
    P.S. Sorry for the blank post above, I rarely respond to blogs, and I am clearly not good at it! >>

Please keep posting. I like it!
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In answering the highly respected OP's original question: Am I upset? No. Am I anrgy? No. Am I supportive of John Maben and MCM? Read on.....

I am in awe of their ebay record. When I first entered this realm of coin collecting, I went to MCM first because of their stellar ebay feedback record.

When I wanted to buy the Julia Tyler MS70 Gold coin, I went with MCM. I made my purchase and they quickly informed me the Julia was out of stock.

Damn. I wanted that coin at the entry level price when the hysteria was not at it's fever pitch. Oh well. I tried.

John and his staff contacted me a few weeks later with a offer for me to buy the Julia at the SAME PRICE as when I first lost my oppurtunity! The SAME PRICE.

I was very appreciative as this completed my set of MS and Proof Julia's at a great price (both purchased from MCM).

I have a history with MCM and many other fine dealers and collector's via this forum. I am frustrated when they suffer needlessly; yet, I appreciate their integrity, will, and fight.

Miles

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>Mcm did nothing wrong in offering to buy customers sets.The preferred dealers that cherry picked the ATB`s and kept the cream and sold the clabber to the public that is still wrong and should have been corrected, and the dealers that did it punished. No comparison between these two things. >>

How many of those who sold their sets to dealers do you suppose actually did so without being asked or solicited to do so? That is neither wrong nor illegal, but going out and asking people to buy for them rubbed some folks the wrong way.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Kind of weird that CW would allow someone to use their publication for what amounts to their own personal pulpit. If you are going to bash the practice, then bash everyone who does it. >>

That's what happens every week in the Guest Commentary and Letters to the Editor. It's nothing new. >>

Opposing views and disagreements are tolerated here too, but personals attacks are likely to get yer ass bammified.
  • Options
    KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    i find that mcm did nothing wrong and have nothing but excellent dealing with them for years. Shame on cw.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Options

<< <i>IMHO (but, I only have a business degree, so what do I know when compared to the smart folks running the USMint?), the USMint would be best off by NOT announcing any mintages until after the fact.
    Special issues or not.
    They should do like they did with the UHR on "hot" issues......set a household limit, make the coins "to demand" and not announce a max mintage. Particularly with precious metal/popular items.

Unless/until they do this, there will be problems and collectors will be screwed and flippers will flip. >>

This is exactly what the mint should do and I mentioned that to them in their survey. Why release mintage figures? It makes no sense to me. If there is any limit, it should always be 1 for the first week. As soon as I saw that the limit on the A25 sets was 5, I couldn't believe it and thought they have to change that before they go on sale, but that didn't happen. Why hasn't the mint said what the mintage of the 2011-W eagles will be? If it was set to 300,000 they would have sold out months ago. It very well may be around that mintage but since we don't know there's no big demand for them. If the mintage is less than the 2006-W then the price will go up. If you buy a bunch now and the price goes up then good, but why should anyone have an unfair advantage. Hopefully the mint figures this out before the next time. Cheers.
  • Options

<< <i>i find that mcm did nothing wrong and have nothing but excellent dealing with them for years. Shame on cw. >>

I have to agree, I really didn't even pay much attention to the article in CW about MCM, I have no problem with the way they got A25 sets, let's put
    the blame where it should go, the US Mint. Cheers.
  • Options

<< <i>i find that mcm did nothing wrong and have nothing but excellent dealing with them for years. Shame on cw. >>

It was a guest commentary, no one said that it was CW's opinion of the situation. I'm sure the standard disclaimer "views expressed here are solely those of the author and not necessarily those of CW" was used. Does make you wonder tho if they don't sometimes let others intentionally use their soapbox to say things that they wouldn't dare say themselves. Who besides them is to know the real truth. Since others use the same acquisition strategy it only seems fair to bash all of them instead of just one; if you don't like what they do.

Don't know when the next flip 'n rip opportunity will come from the mint, but maybe they should spend more time cultivating a larger private circle of suppliers.
  • Options
    Just to add my praise to MCM. I've bought a few times from them via Ebay and their direct Web site and quite happy with their operation. Count me in supporting them
  • Options

So if you wanted a set for yourself you'd prefer to pay $1000 or $1500 on the aftermarket rather than buy it right from the mint for $300? Yeah, that makes good sense.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>IMHO (but, I only have a business degree, so what do I know when compared to the smart folks running the USMint?), the USMint would be best off by NOT announcing any mintages until after the fact.
    Special issues or not.
    They should do like they did with the UHR on "hot" issues......set a household limit, make the coins "to demand" and not announce a max mintage. Particularly with precious metal/popular items.

Unless/until they do this, there will be problems and collectors will be screwed and flippers will flip. >>

This is exactly what the mint should do and I mentioned that to them in their survey. Why release mintage figures? It makes no sense to me. If there is any limit, it should always be 1 for the first week. As soon as I saw that the limit on the A25 sets was 5, I couldn't believe it and thought they have to change that before they go on sale, but that didn't happen. Why hasn't the mint said what the mintage of the 2011-W eagles will be? If it was set to 300,000 they would have sold out months ago. It very well may be around that mintage but since we don't know there's no big demand for them. If the mintage is less than the 2006-W then the price will go up. If you buy a bunch now and the price goes up then good, but why should anyone have an unfair advantage. Hopefully the mint figures this out before the next time. Cheers. >>

By announcing limits and mintages they are giving you a heads up that if you want one then you ought to plan to get while the getting is good. Typically called if you snooze you lose. Unfortunately the whole thing was something of a comedy of errors with the less that state of the art ordering system and unusually high demand. A lot of that demand was from those whose sole intent was to sell them to someone else. The other alternative to the I wanna be able order one anytime is called eBay.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with cakes Mitch. In fact, I think it's rather obvious. What I'd REALLY like is for that person to come forward and identify themselves to me and the community other than just in name. Until then, I have no proof that they are even a real person. It is entirely possible to get things published under ficticious names.

John >>

I think your reaching with this one John. Sorry.

I do understand that you feel your company was slighted but throwing MUD back at Coin World won't help your position.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Mcm did nothing wrong in offering to buy customers sets.The preferred dealers that cherry picked the ATB`s and kept the cream and sold the clabber to the public that is still wrong and should have been corrected, and the dealers that did it punished. No comparison between these two things. >>

How many of those who sold their sets to dealers do you suppose actually did so without being asked or solicited to do so? That is neither wrong nor illegal, but going out and asking people to buy for them rubbed some folks the wrong way. >>

Many collectors who work never got a shot at the 25th anniv set .. from local coins shows ...people are still pissed at that ,and the many dealers/ sellers who purchased 100s of sets from the mint thru proxys
  • Options

<< <i>

John >>

I do understand that you feel your company was slighted but throwing MUD back at Coin World won't help your position. >>

Has anyone asked that "guest commentator" why he chose to spew vitriol at one big purchaser instead of all of them? Also there were plenty of small fish who got multiple orders using proxy purchasers.
  • Options

<< <i>

John >>

I do understand that you feel your company was slighted but throwing MUD back at Coin World won't help your position. >>

Yea......... No......... Gonna disagree with ya here.

If someone is going to make these horrible remarks about my company I want to know who they are, not just a name in a paper. I want to know how CW qualify's the people that submit letters and commentary's to the editor. What is the procedure? Was this person verified? Did anyone actually speak with him? Who is this person??????? Can anyone here say they know them?

And as for throwing mud back, you betcha. I got thrown in a ditch and buried alive, dug myself out and now I'm headed to Ohio with a dumptruck. Yes sir.
    BTW, more unedited feedback going on our blog later today.

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• Options
    Since I don't get CW, was it a guest commentary, a guest editorial or a guest opinion? My local papers would ask for your name, addy and daytime phone number. They would only ask if you wrote it, I don't think they'd give 2 hoots in hell if you were qualified to write it or not.
  • Options

<< <i>

Special issues or not.

This is exactly what the mint should do and I mentioned that to them in their survey. Why release mintage figures? It makes no sense to me. If there is any limit, it should always be 1 for the first week. As soon as I saw that the limit on the A25 sets was 5, I couldn't believe it and thought they have to change that before they go on sale, but that didn't happen. Why hasn't the mint said what the mintage of the 2011-W eagles will be? If it was set to 300,000 they would have sold out months ago. It very well may be around that mintage but since we don't know there's no big demand for them. If the mintage is less than the 2006-W then the price will go up. If you buy a bunch now and the price goes up then good, but why should anyone have an unfair advantage. Hopefully the mint figures this out before the next time. Cheers. >>

Personally, I think this has more todo with production limitations than anything else.

The presses the US Mint uses don't set themselves up as it's simply not a question of running down to the stock room, procuring a die set, bolting them in place and then pressing the start button.

These sets had custom designed presentation boxes that weighed a friggin ton. Those were not produced at the US Mint and had to be ordered. Given manufacturing processes and certain error rates combined with current production quota's, this stuff has to be fit into existing schedules. As such, they have specific targets for production to be able to accomodate other coins.

I see no problem with announcing mintage limits since doing so informs the buyers that there is a set target. NOT doing so would imply minting to demand yet the sellout would have still occured.

Given the public response to the 250,000 anniversary sets, I'm more shocked at the 100,000 limit than anything else. Couple that with the 5 per houshold limit (which I anticipated would drop to 1 per household but that didn't happen) and this offering smelled like a winner since August 19th!

Addressing HH limits, the US Army Commemorative set has a production limit of 50,000 pieces yet a per HH limit of 100! Granted, the commemorative has a much smaller following than the SAE's and the Mint should have been aware of this.

I imagine that if the complaining continues that all offerings, regardless of mintage limits, will get put into a 1 per HH ordering limit. After the cursory time period, the limits will get lifted and they'll still sell out and end up being sold on the open market for a premium.

Some fellow will whine about it and things will then be back to normal.

Except for the new policies and regulations that is.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

John >>

Yea......... No......... Gonna disagree with ya here.

If someone is going to make these horrible remarks about my company I want to know who they are, not just a name in a paper. I want to know how CW qualify's the people that submit letters and commentary's to the editor. What is the procedure? Was this person verified? Did anyone actually speak with him? Who is this person??????? Can anyone here say they know them?

And as for throwing mud back, you betcha. I got thrown in a ditch and buried alive, dug myself out and now I'm headed to Ohio with a dumptruck. Yes sir.
    BTW, more unedited feedback going on our blog later today.

John >>

Good luck with that one John. Unnamed sources have already stated that it just ain't gonna happen. I agree that it looks like a bad thing but I think that CW simply fell into a series of bad events. I just cannot see why a business which relies upon advertising revenues would take the chance at slighting one of their advertisers. I think that this one simply slipped through the cracks.

However, I wouldn't expect a bunch of huge apologies if you create an anti-Coin World campaign.

Have you contacted Coin World and spoken directly with Beth Deisher?

Lets also not forget that its a "Guest Commentary" which amounts to nothing more than an "opinion". Folks are entitled to opinions regardless of how distorted from reality that they might be.

Good Luck in your endeavor. I hope this turns out well for you and for Coin World.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Since I don't get CW, was it a guest commentary, a guest editorial or a guest opinion? My local papers would ask for your name, addy and daytime phone number. They would only ask if you wrote it, I don't think they'd give 2 hoots in hell if you were qualified to write it or not. >>

I did not mean "qualified" in the literary sense... I meant determined to be a real person.

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• Options
    John >>

Good luck with that one John. Unnamed sources have already stated that it just ain't gonna happen. I agree that it looks like a bad thing but I think that CW simply fell into a series of bad events. I just cannot see why a business which relies upon advertising revenues would take the chance at slighting one of their advertisers. I think that this one simply slipped through the cracks.

However, I wouldn't expect a bunch of huge apologies if you create an anti-Coin World campaign.

Lets also not forget that its a "Guest Commentary" which amounts to nothing more than an "opinion". Folks are entitled to opinions regardless of how distorted from reality that they might be.

Good Luck in your endeavor. I hope this turns out well for you and for Coin World. >>

My intentions were not to start an anti-CW campaign. My intentions are to defend myself, state my position, and let others decide things for themselves. I'm almost done putting it out there, I don't intend to put much more effort into this. I have been in contact with the President of Amos, Bruce Boyd, and a Vice President as well. Both were very nice and seemed genuinely concerned.

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Since I don't get CW, was it a guest commentary, a guest editorial or a guest opinion? My local papers would ask for your name, addy and daytime phone number. They would only ask if you wrote it, I don't think they'd give 2 hoots in hell if you were qualified to write it or not. >>

I did not mean "qualified" in the literary sense... I meant determined to be a real person.

John >>

On page 4 of every issue which has a "Letters to the Editor", CW publishes that they require a "verifiable" address and/or telephone number for every letter published. I can only assume that the same requirements exist for "Guest Commentaries".

<< <i>My intentions were not to start an anti-CW campaign. My intentions are to defend myself, state my position, and let others decide things for themselves. I'm almost done putting it out there, I don't intend to put much more effort into this. I have been in contact with the President of Amos, Bruce Boyd, and a Vice President as well. Both were very nice and seemed genuinely concerned. >>

Good. Hopefully this will work out.

I know that my opinions of MCM are not in the least bit swayed over someone's opinion and am hoping that others feel the same way.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>John >>

Good Luck in your endeavor. I hope this turns out well for you and for Coin World. >>

My intentions were not to start an anti-CW campaign. My intentions are to defend myself, state my position, and let others decide things for themselves. I'm almost done putting it out there, I don't intend to put much more effort into this. I have been in contact with the President of Amos, Bruce Boyd, and a Vice President as well. Both were very nice and seemed genuinely concerned.

John >>

If nothing else positive comes out of this, you should take some solace in all the nice things that have been said about you and your company. That speaks volumes.
  • Options

<< <i>

John >>

ok. they'd likely ask for contact info. as to any kind of background check you'd have to ask Beth.

btw, has business gone up since?
  • Options
    I think this is great for MCM. It makes them look like a force in the industry and gives the impression that when it comes to modern coins worth collecting, MCM is the most likely place to have them coin for sale. Plus, if someone agrees with the guest commentary, why would MCM want that person for a customer anyway? They are likely to be a hassle to deal with. Win, win for MCM if you ask me.
  • Options
    "CW publishes that they require a "verifiable" address and/or telephone number for every letter published. I can only assume that the same requirements exist for Guest Commentaries".

OK.... now..... does that mean you could pull a name, address, and phone number from the phone book and send in a commentary under that name without fear that CW would actually call that number to check? Would they simply be satisfied that John Doe at 123 Main St in Anytown, USA does exist in the database of listings?

Given the pointed nature and damaging remarks towards a customer that most businesses would like to clone, did CW call to verify authenticity of the commentary? That is my question.

To answer the "how's business?" question, it's pretty darn good. Our spring cleaning sale is doing just fine. And I do agree that the nicest thing to come out if this is to see how many customers and non customers like us. As someone that has poured myself into growing this business it is very gratifying and I thank all who have shown support it really means a great deal.

John

John Maben
    800-381-2646

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    If one does a google search using the name of the person who wrote the opinion in CW, one finds a match with a site showing a letter written to Numismatic News. This could be the same individual.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If one does a google search using the name of the person who wrote the opinion in CW, one finds a match with a site showing a letter written to Numismatic News. This could be the same individual. >>

I believe you maybe correct DrPete

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    John:

Years ago I submitted a letter to CW. Whoever was in charge of the letters/editorial page liked it enough that I was contacted and asked if it could be used as a guest editorial. However I forget if the contact was by phone (unlikely) or by email (more likely). Of course I agreed so I lengthened to letter a bit and it was published. So CW did "qualify" me by contacting me. Incidentally, the editorial had nothing to do with anyone's business practices; it was about the Federal Reserve.

Mark

• Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    I would just let it die and move on. Most people are smart enough to figure it out for themselves. As far as what you did to buy the sets i do not care one way or the other. You play within the rules and still people get worked up. Personally the more you reply the more turned off some will become that are on your side.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would just let it die and move on. Most people are smart enough to figure it out for themselves. As far as what you did to buy the sets i do not care one way or the other. You play within the rules and still people get worked up. Personally the more you reply the more turned off some will become that are on your side. >>

I completely agree with all of this. The people who liked MCM before were not going to be swayed by the opinion piece, and those that did not care for MCM before the piece probably will not afterward. Having Goliath go after David is very distasteful and probably ends up losing MCM supporters in the long run. The classy and correct move, IMO, was to let it pass and move on.
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......... The classy and correct move, IMO, was to let it pass and move on. >>

Are you saying that John should have simply kept silent on this?

If you had a totally upstanding business which you worked extremely hard to build and maintain, and a major publication in your industry published a hit piece like this - "guest commentary" or otherwise - about your company you would have simply remained totally silent? Really?
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

<< <i>I would just let it die and move on. Most people are smart enough to figure it out for themselves. As far as what you did to buy the sets i do not care one way or the other. You play within the rules and still people get worked up. Personally the more you reply the more turned off some will become that are on your side. >>

Whose rules and what rules? The mint doesn't have any rules, just limits and if they did have rules such as a person having more than one CC can't have the same addy for both CCs, those rules would be inconsequential. I'm sure they are aware of people asking others to buy for them. That practice while not wrong or illegal does tend to leave those who end up SOL a little miffed and who can blame them.
  • Options

<< <i>

Whose rules and what rules? The mint doesn't have any rules, just limits and if they did have rules such as a person having more than one CC can't have the same addy for both CCs, those rules would be inconsequential. I'm sure they are aware of people asking others to buy for them. That practice while not wrong or illegal does tend to leave those who end up SOL a little miffed and who can blame them. >>

True but the same people who are complaining they had to work and could not order could have recruited people to order for them, 99% of people have friends and relatives. Those who are upset should be upset with themselves for inadequate planning and they need to own that instead of projecting it onto MCM.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>......... The classy and correct move, IMO, was to let it pass and move on. >>

Are you saying that John should have simply kept silent on this?

If you had a totally upstanding business which you worked extremely hard to build and maintain, and a major publication in your industry published a hit piece like this - "guest commentary" or otherwise - about your company you would have simply remained totally silent? Really? >>

A WTF phone call to Beth mite a bin a good first move.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe MCM should publish their own coin magazine - ModernCoin.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file