Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Handled my first major rarity today. - Photos added.

Originally posted on 2/9/12
So as stated I started working in a coin shop. Today I helped a customer with the purchase of a 1901 Proof Set. The set has the Morgan, Barber Half, Barber Qtr, Barber Dime, V Nickel and Penny. All coins are raw, but nice none the less. The dime is the best of the bunch looks PF65/66 with some color. The dollar, half, and qtr are likely 64 I think the dollar is PF64. The Cent is PF64 or PF63 The Nickel might also be PF 65. Overall a very nice set and a sight to see. I hope I will get a chance to image the set and show it off. I did not have the proof set in my shop, but I went with him as another set of eyes. Just super cool!

I know before you say this thread is worthless without pictures. I fully intend to image this set soon I hope.

If this set comes up for sale then please move this thread as it will spam. I do not know what will happen to the set right now.

And posted today2/15/12
Before I move any further. I do not own this set, but I did get to image this set today. I do not know if this set will come up for sale at some point. If it does this can be marked as spam and moved. I just wanted to share the photos with you all.

Comments

• Options
    When I did the photo, there was no way to list all the coin grades. The set is raw. I think the nickel and dime would grade at PF 65, and the dollar at a PF 64. Then again what Do I know about grading coins, especially proofs. When hit with the right light some of these coins show nice cameo. In hand this set is damn nice.
  • Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    Hairlines and other minor handling marks are often the reason for low grades on early proofs. The images are tilted, so it is nearly impossible to determine grades based on the pics.

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    I shot the images to bring out the color. The light was straight on as I took the coins out of the holder.
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Images of coins like that keep me stopping in here.
    Good work.
  • Options
    There is a maximum 813 sets, which is the mintage on the Morgan, half and quarter. With that said, I would say 25% give or take got mishandled at some point in the last 100+ years. 50% Have been sent to NGC or PCGS and or broken apart. I will take another 10 to 15% of the coins that were not sold as sets in 1901. That would leave 15 to 10% of the surviving sets in tact as a whole. Sure people have assembled sets in NGC and PCGS holders, but to me it is not the same as holding a set like this with your 2 hands all in one holder.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    All raw or ? They would look awesome in one of those NGC holders that holder like 5 coins
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a nice set, and some nice pictures to show the set off.
    Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options

<< <i>All raw or ? They would look awesome in one of those NGC holders that holder like 5 coins >>

The set is 100% raw. It is currently in a capital plastic holder.
  • Options
    Beautiful set! Who cares what "grades" they would get.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice photos, and nice looking pieces. But, not a gem when the big value pieces aren't gem. Also, not a "major rarity" in the sense that the majority would think.

Again, nice photos and nice pieces.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with EVP. Very cool set, but not a "major rarity.

When I read the thread title, the two things that popped into my mind were the times that I held the 1854-S quarter eagle ex-Bass and the 1815 $5 ex-Garrett.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Nice!!
    Becky
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful set... would be a nice collector's acquisition. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great set and great picture - thanks for sharing with us !
    Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool, and thanks for sharing.
    It's exciting to think about the 'stuff' that is still out there.....
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    Very nice proof set and excellent photos. Thanks for taking the time to show us.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cowabunga.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. I've only been in the biz full time for 6 years, and recently handled the most expensive items I've encountered, that would have complimented what you reported. A 4 piece 1901 Proof Gold set. image

"Life is like a box of chocolates." image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Nice!
  • Options
    KaelasdadKaelasdad Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭
    LOL, ok, all those who have handled a raw 1901 Complete Proof set please raise their hands. From my point of view I would agree, after seeing a few years worth of circulated bullion run through the shop, this set is a major rarity.

Great pics, great set, and those who complain about anything about this post need to sit back and forget that we all are not multi millionaires with the number one grand poohbah registry sets, and this was a treat. Plain and simple, meat and potatoes, too many here see rare as a number, but I see it as an experience.

Thanks
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree with EVP. Very cool set, but not a "major rarity.

When I read the thread title, the two things that popped into my mind were the times that I held the 1854-S quarter eagle ex-Bass and the 1815 $5 ex-Garrett. >>

Agreed. I have handled two 1894-S dimes, five 1804 dollars individually and all five 1913 nickels at the same time, but the rarest was the 1870-S Half Dime when it was first discovered.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This set may not be rare compared to coins listed above.

But, it's something you don't see every day.

And it was made 100 + years ago by the hundreds NOT yesterday by the Billions. image
  • Options

<< <i>Cool. I've only been in the biz full time for 6 years, and recently handled the most expensive items I've encountered, that would have complimented what you reported. A 4 piece 1901 Proof Gold set. image

"Life is like a box of chocolates." image >>

Got Photos? Sounds sweet!
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was this presented to the shop as a kept together since day one proof set? If so they were removed from the original wrappers long before they
    received much toning. Based on the irregular toning patterns it might be a set that was once dipped and has retoned somewhat. I handled an orig intact
    gem 1900 proof set a few years ago and all those silver coins were in the mint wrappers for >100 yrs....3 of them had turned deep blue...headed to black,
    while the dollar was a mottled mix of silver, brown, and some blue. The surfaces on your 1900's look pretty nice.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>Was this presented to the shop as a kept together since day one proof set? If so they were removed from the original wrappers long before they
    received much toning. Based on the irregular toning patterns it might be a set that was once dipped and has retoned somewhat. I handled an orig intact
    gem 1900 proof set a few years ago and all those silver coins were in the mint wrappers for >100 yrs....3 of them had turned deep blue...headed to black,
    while the dollar was a mottled mix of silver, brown, and some blue. The surfaces on your 1900's look pretty nice. >>

Actually this set came in a flimsy holder which was a bit shocking. It was quickly moved to a nicer Capital Plastics Proof Set holder. With that said, I cannot say for certain if this set originally started as one, but surely looks like it. The original holder is likely long gone.
  • Options
    EdscoinEdscoin Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Matched set! Bet it looks a lot better in that Capital holder than it would in separate slabs.
    Oh, and it would be a major rarity in my collection. image
    ED
  • Options
    I never did update this set. My buddy sent the set to NGC some time back. Grades are as follows.

$1 - PF 64 Cam
    50C - PF 64
    25 C - Imp Cleaned - They said a few too many hairlines, and I happen to agree though they are hard to see with the naked eye until tilted just right.
    10 C - PF 65 +
    5 C - PF 66
    1 C - PF 64

Overall a very nice set.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    congratz on handling these coins and thanks for the update

major rarity seems a bit an overstatement, no?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There would have been nothing wrong with calling this set a Choice/Gem 1901 Proof Set had the quarter graded at least choice.

I fail to understand why collectors do not like to use the term "Choice."

It is a nice term to describe a coin that is definitely graded higher than uncirculated or minimum proof 60-61 but not quite gem.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    very cool and its a rarity to me as most normal folks never see something like this or this expensive
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options

<< <i>There would have been nothing wrong with calling this set a Choice/Gem 1901 Proof Set had the quarter graded at least choice.

I fail to understand why collectors do not like to use the term "Choice."

It is a nice term to describe a coin that is definitely graded higher than uncirculated or minimum proof 60-61 but not quite gem. >>

When I first saw the quarter I thought it would grade, but then when looking again I can see the no grade. Still looks very nice in hand. Hell of a set overall!
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KOOL SET !!! Especially the half & the dime. image
  • Options
    Geez you people are pretty critical. With a blank check, one could have purchased numerous 1804 dollars and 1913 nickels in the last few years but I don't recall too many 1901 proof sets crossing the block.
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Geez you people are pretty critical. With a blank check, one could have purchased numerous 1804 dollars and 1913 nickels in the last few years but I don't recall too many 1901 proof sets crossing the block. >>

"Don't call me Shirley".... Leslie Nielsen - "Airplane"image
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file