Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My first eBay Neg, and it's a buyer that should be blocked - Updated/Removed NEG

Comments

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What difference could it possibly make if your buyer is a woman, champ? >>

Cooties.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Since you cannot leave neg fb to a buyer. It's a moot issue who gives fb first. Personally, I give it when payment is received. >>

I agree. I just give out positive feedback to buyers once I have received the payment.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    I would of left a negative as well. No effort to help at all. Not saying the buyer is on the level but simple polite communication is in order.
    Many things could of happened wrong address, delivered in error etc. Dose not imply you can do much about it but the attitude expressed is
    very poor , how would you feel as the buyer? "Dont contact me further" is worthy of a negative."

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It you guys want to trade 40 more emails with a female buyer who just wants their money without a reason, be my guest.

I have a life to live and it was time to move on. My 11 years on eBay w/o a neg speaks volumes. >>

and

<< <i>A buyer who still wants a refund wants her (yes her) cake and to eat it too. Since I knew the Neg was unavoidable and this was not a rational person, I stopped
    communication. >>

What point are you trying to make by pointing out your buyer's gender? What difference could it possibly make if your buyer is a woman, champ? >>

Why don't you read the thread, you'll have your answer "champ".

And don't bait me again.
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I cannot help but think that the tone of your replies contributed to the neg.

"Don't contact me further." ???

How about: "I will check with the post office and get back to you"

or

"I will check with ebay and get back to you"

Maybe there is no possible resolution, no happy ending, but the guy clearly communicated that he did not get the coin and wants to be made whole. I cannot blame him, and after "Don't contact me further.", I would have also left a neg. >>

I agree 100% with RYK.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>I assume Wolf359 didn't have signature confirmation.
    Big mistake ALWAYS use signature confirmation. The cost really isn't that much and it provides a HUGE safety net. >>

Signature confirmation is $2.10 a package. Not worth the cost. >>

If it prevents a neg due to non-delivery, it's well worth the cost. >>

I should have spend $200 on 100 packages in the last 30 days to avoid one negative?

I don't think so.
  • Options
    I'm done with the thread. Better things to do.

You are now free to argue with yourselves. Goodbye.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the cost of doing business on ebay. It is the seller's responsibillity to deliver the item, period. I have sent an item with DC that showed as delivered that never arrived. The address was an apartment complex which likely had a mulitple box mail unit and the item was likely placed in the wrong box. I refunded the guy's money and chalked it up to the cost of doing business. I have also had an item sent to me with DC showed as delivered, but I never recieved it. If you don't want to risk the P.O. screwing up your transaction, you could always hop on a plane and deliver it in person. Probably wouldn't be very cost effective though.
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>It you guys want to trade 40 more emails with a female buyer who just wants their money without a reason, be my guest.

I have a life to live and it was time to move on. My 11 years on eBay w/o a neg speaks volumes. >>

and

<< <i>A buyer who still wants a refund wants her (yes her) cake and to eat it too. Since I knew the Neg was unavoidable and this was not a rational person, I stopped
    communication. >>

What point are you trying to make by pointing out your buyer's gender? What difference could it possibly make if your buyer is a woman, champ? >>

Why don't you read the thread, you'll have your answer "champ".

And don't bait me again. >>

I read the thread, champ. And it sounds to me like you have very poor communication skills, you are very impatient, and you may have some issues with women.
    I'll ask again, what difference does it make what gender your buyer is? You're the one who raised the issue - not once, but twice.

I look forward to reading your carefully thought-out response, champ.
  • Options
    Was all this worth a measly $36? Poor business decision if you ask me....

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion is that it all comes down to communication. Even if it would have led to the same "no refund" scenario, a quick, polite email explaining the rules and the proper procedures to follow is going to get one much further than a curt dismissal of any concerns.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    The seller complied with all the rules of ebay. While there are better ways of handling it, he is the victim here.
  • Options
    rbfrbf Posts: 452 ✭✭
    Buyer's feedback:
    Never received coin , would not refund my order.When asked why , wouldn't answer

Your reply:
    Tracking 9101128882300138257818 Address correct U have coin No reason to refund

But as others have correctly pointed out, delivery confirmation isn't always 100% fool-proof. So basically, here you are outright accusing your customer of lying based on very limited, unreliable information. Consider the likelihood that she was telling the truth after all. Now she's left with no coin, no money, and a false accusation to top it off. Ask yourself, how would you feel if you were in her shoes?
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller complied with all the rules of ebay. While there are better ways of handling it, he is the victim here. >>

lol no he isn't. he is not out any money.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm done with the thread. Better things to do.

You are now free to argue with yourselves. Goodbye. >>

Then why bother starting it in the first place?
  • Options

<< <i>Buyer's feedback:
    Never received coin , would not refund my order.When asked why , wouldn't answer

Your reply:
    Tracking 9101128882300138257818 Address correct U have coin No reason to refund

But as others have correctly pointed out, delivery confirmation isn't always 100% fool-proof. So basically, here you are outright accusing your customer of lying based on very limited, unreliable information. Consider the likelihood that she was telling the truth after all. Now she's left with no coin, no money, and a false accusation to top it off. Ask yourself, how would you feel if you were in her shoes? >>

I agree, very poor judgement from the OP.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The feedback was because of the way you handled it.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller complied with all the rules of ebay. While there are better ways of handling it, he is the victim here. >>

I agree 100%.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    GManGMan Posts: 790 ✭✭
    Any way to block sellers on ebay? I looked but couldn't find one. The OP's attitude isn't good. God forbid I buy something from him and it doesn't arrive. Being called a liar and told to pound sand doesn't make a positive transaction.

If you can't block a seller would the OP please block the ebay id "g_dealer" for me? I would appreciate it as I wouldn't want to inadvertently bid on any of your items. Thanks.
    GMan
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I can also chime in that delivery confirmation can mean nothing.
    We have had a new postman for the last 2 yrs who has screwed this up more than once.
    He leaves items on the road underneath the mailbox, wrongly signs delivered when he brings it back to the post office instead, etc.
    I have repeatedly had to deal with the USPS on this and it finally has gotten better.
    "Delivery confirmation" can be meaningless!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    At first, I thought OP was being rude to buyer and not helpful in recovering the "lost" coin. Then I went back and read this part of the buyer's response:

"Is the shipping address, no information is incorrect , all shipping info is correct and true. All I ask for is a refund , I have paid for what I should receive , but I have NOT received what I have paid for. I understand that this is not your fault but USPS's fault. I also sell on eBay , and as a seller , my job is to send the package and to tend to my customers problems (if they have any). Again I am NOT trying to commit a "fraud" , I only want the coin I purchased. I hope we can resolve this problem. Thank you"

The buyer immediately states she wants a "refund" but it's not seller's fault, it's USPS. Why doesn't she ask her postal carrier if he/she delivered a package recently with Del Conf? Then she says she only wants the "coin" she purchased, and says I am NOT trying to commit a fraud, etc., hope we can resolve this problem. Buyer's remorse? Something's off here and OP should probably wait to see if she actually files a report with ebay before taking further action ( maybe his response could have been nicer but probably wouldn't have prevented a neg).

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>@AMRC: since you seem sympathetic to OP's position and situation, can we assume that your approach to problem resolution is similar? >>

I agree with EVP, At the very least walking him threw the postal review would have been good customer service. If I buy a coin and don't receive it a neg is only the beginning of the actions I will do. >>

If the postal service says it was delivered what recourse do you think the seller has? The USPS usually won't pay on a claim under those circumstances. Do you think the seller should pony up no questions asked? As a buyer you should talk to your carrier first to see if he remembers it. If it gets stolen from your mailbox you are SOL. As a buyer you have a responsibility to provide a secure receiving address.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Maybe her husband found the coin and took it to the bank for a "real" dollar. Seems like a little more communication would be in order. The coin might not be worth it but your reputation is.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bajjerfan,

As a seller, especially when dealing with the retail public, it is important to keep one's cool and to be prepared to go through the usual methods of problem resolution before telling a supposedly unreasonable retail buyer to go pound sand.

IMHO, the OP responded inappropriately. Was the buyer a bad buyer? Maybe. But, that doesn't absolve OP's obligation try to handle the buyer's complaint in a more patient manner.

Edited to add: not saying buyer is 0% culpable, but it is the OP coming here asking for our views on neg'ing the buyer.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    It is a bummer when you use delivery confirmation, showing that it is delivered, buyer claims he never received it, seller refunds all his money without any trouble, and still gets a neutral feedback.

Happened to me once.

Oh well, I don't know what I could have done better.

He was made whole without question.
    Its just the risk of business, I suppose.

It is more frustrating when the buyers has a history of not receiving items????
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Post office does wierd things.

I had an overnight USPS envelope with a cashiers check for several thou in it delivered to my next door neighbor. I didn't find out about it for a week. The Postal carrier 'delivered' the letter. Just not to me.

If you are going to depend on the mail to go through, it probably will. If you are going to depend on the POST OFFICE to maintain your business reputation on the net, think again.

edit; OP, you would be a lot further ahead if you posted this problem in real time, here. I don't think you'd have the neg.
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>At first, I thought OP was being rude to buyer and not helpful in recovering the "lost" coin. Then I went back and read this part of the buyer's response:

"Is the shipping address, no information is incorrect , all shipping info is correct and true. All I ask for is a refund , I have paid for what I should receive , but I have NOT received what I have paid for. I understand that this is not your fault but USPS's fault. I also sell on eBay , and as a seller , my job is to send the package and to tend to my customers problems (if they have any). Again I am NOT trying to commit a "fraud" , I only want the coin I purchased. I hope we can resolve this problem. Thank you"

The buyer immediately states she wants a "refund" but it's not seller's fault, it's USPS. Why doesn't she ask her postal carrier if he/she delivered a package recently with Del Conf? Then she says she only wants the "coin" she purchased, and says I am NOT trying to commit a fraud, etc., hope we can resolve this problem. Buyer's remorse? Something's off here and OP should probably wait to see if she actually files a report with ebay before taking further action ( maybe his response could have been nicer but probably wouldn't have prevented a neg). >>

The thing is that you don't really know what the buyer's motivation/s are. I guess you give their honesty the benefit of the doubt. In this case if the carrier screwed up and won't provide remedy then who eats the loss? I suppose the only solution is to start putting those gawd-awful video spycams on every USPS vehicle and/or every mailbox.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I agree 100%. >>

Wrong. The seller is responsible for safe delivery. Ebay rules are secondary.

Any time I ship something I am prepared to replace it if it doesn't get there. Blaming some third party like the post office is a cop out.

I've posted this advice here many times and there is so much advice here that most people probably just read it and say "whatever" and move on. But since I've gone to barcoded, waterproof adhesive labels printed out with paypal shipping, I have had 0 lost or misdelivered packages in well over 10,000 packages since 2006. This allows me to self insure most shipments. Just shipped out hundreds of 2012 silver eagles without any incident. So if a $50 coin got lost, I would glady replace/refund it out of all the money I've saved over the years. Make a plan and know what you'll do if a package is lost. --Jerry
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Two points: first, I think the OP should have handled the situation more politely. Customer service matters. On the other hand, however, it's not clear why he should refund anything to the buyer. It's easy to assume she's telling the truth when it's a $36 item. Would anyone give the same advice if it were a $360 item that was "self-insured"? How about a $750 item? I would probably refund on the $36 just to avoid the hassle; however, you can see where it gets sticky when the dollar amounts go up. Then you no longer assume so quickly that she's telling the truth.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    I just thought it odd that she asked for a refund first, then stated it wasn't his fault, then said she just wanted her coin. Which is it? If she's not filing a dispute for not receiving the coin and instead giving neg feedback, then end of story, damage done.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree 100%. >>

Any time I ship something I am prepared to replace it if it doesn't get there. Blaming some third party like the post office is a cop out.

I've posted this advice here many times and there is so much advice here that most people probably just read it and say "whatever" and move on. But since I've gone to barcoded, waterproof adhesive labels printed out with paypal shipping, I have had 0 lost or misdelivered packages in well over 10,000 packages since 2006. This allows me to self insure most shipments. Just shipped out hundreds of 2012 silver eagles without any incident. So if a $50 coin got lost, I would glady replace/refund it out of all the money I've saved over the years. Make a plan and know what you'll do if a package is lost. --Jerry >>

Where you you draw the line? A package shipped with signature confirmation and the buyer still denying that he (or she) received it? Would that fall under your policy?

Why have safeguards in place, such as delivery confirmation and signature confirmation, if it is worthless?

As my previous post indicates, I don't handle people like the OP. I had the same thing happen to me and refunded without question.

• Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many buyers would leave if ebay had a warning on the front page:

Buyers: Please be aware that you may pay and recieve nothing. If a seller ships the product using delivery confirmation and the post office misdeliveres or loses it, you will not receive a refund if the post office marks the tracking record as "delivered". Thank you, The ebay customer support team.
  • Options

<< <i>

Then why bother starting it in the first place? >>

Odd response from the OP, doesn't like what the majority has to say about how he handled the situation, so he decides he has better things to do??? Seems to me that the buyer has a right to get what he paid for, and when he ( or she) doesn't, has a right to complain. I thought the would be buyer was correct in giving you negative feedback, did you think they were going to praise your business decision?

I know you won't see this, because you are through with this threadimage
  • Options

<< <i>I cannot help but think that the tone of your replies contributed to the neg.

"Don't contact me further." ???

How about: "I will check with the post office and get back to you"

or

"I will check with ebay and get back to you"

Maybe there is no possible resolution, no happy ending, but the guy clearly communicated that he did not get the coin and wants to be made whole. I cannot blame him, and after "Don't contact me further.", I would have also left a neg. >>

Agree with RYK. Empathy matters, and so does signature confirmation.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

I agree 100%. >>

I've posted this advice here many times and there is so much advice here that most people probably just read it and say "whatever" and move on. But since I've gone to barcoded, waterproof adhesive labels printed out with paypal shipping, I have had 0 lost or misdelivered packages in well over 10,000 packages since 2006. This allows me to self insure most shipments. Just shipped out hundreds of 2012 silver eagles without any incident. So if a $50 coin got lost, I would glady replace/refund it out of all the money I've saved over the years. Make a plan and know what you'll do if a package is lost. --Jerry >>

Short of delivering it ones-self, what constitutes safe delivery?

In a casual transaction conducted at greater than arm's length distance, if a disinterested 3rd party fails to perform, then who is legally required to make good on the deal? If it proceeds thru the dispute process will either eBay or PP cough up?
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    "The seller complied with all the rules of ebay. While there are better ways of handling it, he is the victim here."

I agree, Delivery Confirmation shows the package was delivered. The seller can't be liable for something stolen out of a mail box. (or lost) This is why I have everything sent to a PO box in the first place. As for the insurance issue always give the buyer the option of paying for insurance. If the buyer passes on the insurance..... it's the buyers fault.

Seller paying for insurance on $36 coin is crazy.

Just because the seller is grumpy..... doesn't make him at fault here.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options

<< <i>"The seller complied with all the rules of ebay. While there are better ways of handling it, he is the victim here."

I agree, Delivery Confirmation shows the package was delivered. The seller can't be liable for something stolen out of a mail box. (or lost) This is why I have everything sent to a PO box in the first place. As for the insurance issue always give the buyer the option of paying for insurance. If the buyer passes on the insurance..... it's the buyers fault.

Seller paying for insurance on $36 coin is crazy.

Just because the seller is grumpy..... doesn't make him at fault here. >>

An insurance company will only pay if the item is declared lost by the USPS. If it is delcared delivered by the USPS, an insurance company will not pay the claim.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WIhtout taking sides, like me ask this....

For those saying that the seller is in the right, what about the buyer? If the buyer is being 100% honest on this (and no reason to think she isn't), why should she be out the $36?
    If the post office mistakenly did something and marked it as delivered, what makes the seller in the right (keeps the money) and the buyer in the wrong (out the money and the coin)?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>WIhtout taking sides, like me ask this....

For those saying that the seller is in the right, what about the buyer? If the buyer is being 100% honest on this (and no reason to think she isn't), why should she be out the $36?
    If the post office mistakenly did something and marked it as delivered, what makes the seller in the right (keeps the money) and the buyer in the wrong (out the money and the coin)? >>

Her beef is with her post office mailman. Post Office says delivered, she says not. Seller met his obligation.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not just assume that the package was delivered? Whats more likely---an eBay scam artist or a package with delivery confirmation not being delivered? The OP did everything by the book so does he deserve a neg for being insensitive?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    As this thread will not die, I did a google search. Images were available. This is a single family residence, built in the 1950's. No shared mailbox I would think. Appears to have a mail slot in the front door.

And if you checked feedback given, it seems she very recently had this problem before (December) and damaged another seller. But he was a "cooperative" seller, and only got a neutral.

• Options

<< <i>WIhtout taking sides, like me ask this....

If the post office mistakenly did something and marked it as delivered, what makes the seller in the right (keeps the money) and the buyer in the wrong (out the money and the coin)? >>

By the same token why should the seller pay if the item made it to the buyer's mailbox? If postal carriers don't follow procedure and scan it in BEFORE they start their route why should either party pay? If you are going to do any amount of biz on eBay you would do well to get a secure addy for accepting shipments.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,478 ✭✭✭✭

The seller is the victim of his own "attitude" which prevented him from viewing the transaction as anything other than a "bad" deal.

I'm of the opinion that his feedback could have been saved with just a little bit of positive work.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>As this thread will not die, I did a google search. Images were available. This is a single family residence, built in the 1950's. No shared mailbox I would think. Appears to have a mail slot in the front door.

And if you checked feedback given, it seems she very recently had this problem before (December) and damaged another seller. But he was a "cooperative" seller, and only got a neutral. >>

You are right; he had another ebay transaction get "lost" in the mail in december.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

I'm done with the thread. Better things to do.

You are now free to argue with yourselves. Goodbye.

As this thread will not die, I did a google search. Images were available. This is a single family residence, built in the 1950's. No shared mailbox I would think. Appears to have a mail slot in the front door.

And if you checked feedback given, it seems she very recently had this problem before (December) and damaged another seller. But he was a "cooperative" seller, and only got a neutral. >>

He's back image
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, BTW Jack, your house - rather your condominium or share place is also on the internet - they say those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>At first, I thought OP was being rude to buyer and not helpful in recovering the "lost" coin. Then I went back and read this part of the buyer's response:

The buyer immediately states she wants a "refund" but it's not seller's fault, it's USPS. Why doesn't she ask her postal carrier if he/she delivered a package recently with Del Conf? Then she says she only wants the "coin" she purchased, and says I am NOT trying to commit a fraud, etc., hope we can resolve this problem. Buyer's remorse? Something's off here and OP should probably wait to see if she actually files a report with ebay before taking further action ( maybe his response could have been nicer but probably wouldn't have prevented a neg). >>

The thing is that you don't really know what the buyer's motivation/s are. I guess you give their honesty the benefit of the doubt. In this case if the carrier screwed up and won't provide remedy then who eats the loss? I suppose the only solution is to start putting those gawd-awful video spycams on every USPS vehicle and/or every mailbox. >>

While this may be entirely true, it is also pure speculation based upon a series of poorly written email. No where did the seller ask if the buyer had check with her carrier. If she had a full time job, a note in the mailbox works fine. No where was the buyer encouraged to communicate with her Post Office. Instead, the attitude was that online delivery says it was delivered so it was delivered and your a liar thank you very much!

You'd think that the OP would know that not everything is at it seems and that things do get delivered to the wrong address.

No Signature Obtained

Wrong Address

Wrong Address

But. whatever.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>As this thread will not die, I did a google search. Images were available. This is a single family residence, built in the 1950's. No shared mailbox I would think. Appears to have a mail slot in the front door.

You are right; he had another ebay transaction get "lost" in the mail in december. >>

Thats interesting
  • Options

<< <i>

Then why bother starting it in the first place? >>

Because he wants the buyer blocked.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    You can buy grizzly bears on eBay?!?image

(I already knew girls had cooties)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file