Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

50-55 proof sets?

Do these normally trade at gray sheet in OGP, more, less?

Comments

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've generally paid 10-15% back of bid, retail.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've generally paid 10-15% back of bid, retail. >>

Retail? image

You will end up with dipped out, run of the mill to cull sets at those prices. Many 1950 sets had dull coins in them and nice sets are not that easy to find.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has been years since I have been to a coin show, (none where I live now), but back then, these sets were commanding a premium, more than I would pay, unless the set was remarkable (rare though). Cheers, rickO
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BillJones - you mean like the OGP set I bought including this PCGS PR64 CAM, for $500 in October?

That being said, I do appreciate that that was an extraordinary deal. And honestly, I was speaking more of the later dates 53-55 than the 50-51 sets.
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    I bought a 54 in OGP about 2 years ago. I think I paid pretty close to grey sheet at the time ( I was brand new to the hobby, so I don't know if it was bid-ask or somewhere in between. Probably ask).

That being said, trading implies buying and selling, so I've only been able to do one side of the transaction. I tried to sell it a couple months ago and it didn't move, so I put it away again.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That being said, I do appreciate that that was an extraordinary deal. And honestly, I was speaking more of the later dates 53-55 than the 50-51 sets. >>

I can't speak to the 1953 set because I have not bought or shopped for one for many years after I purchased the one that is in my collection. As for the 1954 sets, about half of them were housed in plastic poly bags that promoted ugly tarnish that would dip well. I think that a nice looking 1954 Proof set is worth 100% of bid or more. The sets with the ugly tarnish or the sets that have been dipped dull are the ones you will buy at "bargain prices." As for the 1955 sets, all of the sets that came in the boxes were in the plastic poly bags and often have unattractive toning or have been dipped to fix them, usually with limited success. The flat pack sets are usually nicer. The reasons I cited I think have something to do with the higher prices for the flat pack sets.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file