Home Precious Metals
Options

It's about time some dumb luck shined on me

Went to the P.O. today to mail off some packages. When the clerk gave me my change, I instantly recognized that 90% silver jingle. 2 of the 3 quarters she gave me back as change were 90%.
So being quick on my feet, I told here that "I was going to be doing some traveling on the local toll road, and although I know you're not a bank, could you please cash this $5 bill into change for me...I would appreciate it."
I asked for $4 in Quarters and $1 in Dimes. To my dumb luck surprise I heard that 90% jingle again LOL. I just put the change all in my pocket and went out to the lobby.
Out of the 16 Quarters, 3 more of them were 90% and 6 of the 10 Dimes were as well.
Standing there deciding if I should press my dumb luck, I said what the hell. I went back in and explained to the same clerk what she had given me. She had a deer in the headlights look not really realizing what I had told her. I then explained what The $1.85 in face value was worth. She smiled and said, "I guess it's your lucky day."
Pressing my luck even further, I said, "could you please check your drawer for more?" She said she couldn't open the drawer without doing a transaction. I said, "ok, I want to buy 1 stamp image ". We did our transaction for 1 stamp and she looked in the drawer for more as I was practially over the counter trying to help her identify if there were more. Sure enough, there were 2 more quarters and 4 more Dimes we sorted out. I politely asked if she would allow me to have a real good day with a image . She said "sure, you're in here all the time and never complain about the wait there almost always is...it aint no biggie to me."
I purchased the rest for face value and asked her what her favorite restaurant is. She said Red Lobster. The next time I go to the P.O. and see her, I'll be handing her a $25 gift card, a little less than half of my dumb luck profit, so I can live with myself knowing that I didn't take advantage of anything ...except for the situation that presented itself to me. image
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not too often we get post office stories with a happy ending - you suck. image

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SpoolySpooly Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! You Suck!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

In God We Trust.... all others pay in Gold and Silver!
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Congrats! You pressed your luck well and it paid off, just like it did for Mr. Larson. image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool move to split some of the gain with her.

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    The next time I go to the P.O. and see her, I'll be handing her a $25 gift card

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Once you do this she will always look out for you every time she opens her drawer. imageimage
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny how we're all so shy about that kind of thing. Good job in pushing past that and great job being rewarded for your efforts. And the gift card is a great idea!
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, nice goin'! And, nice gesture on your part as well. There is such a thing as karma, you know...
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    nice gesture on your part as well. There is such a thing as karma, you know.

Thanks for the kind words everyone...and I hope to keep the good karma going lol. It was one of of lifes little moments that made me smile. I feel bad for the poor (possibly ignorant) fool that must've paid in some 90% for something bought not long before me, but that's the way it goes I suppose. I think it might be a sign of the times. The ironic thing is there is a coin shop literally 1/2 block down the street. So close but all the person must've cared about is purchasing whatever they had to at the P.O..

I proudly accept this "you suck" award image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭
    neat story!
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    awesome story!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    joefrojoefro Posts: 1,872 ✭✭
    Nice work! I got a silver quarter in change at Ace hardware a couple weeks ago and tried my luck asking for more as well, but did not have your luck. That is a great idea about the gift card, I agree she will always be willing to help you out after that! Well done.
    Lincoln Cent & Libertad Collector
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    I'd be ecstatic with 1!
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story and a very nice gesture on your part to split 'the winnings' with her.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    Cool, and you're a good fella for sharing.
  • Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭
    Well done! Let us know how she reacts to the Red Lobster card.

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    I believe civil servants like USPS employees are only allowed to accept non-cash gifts up to $20 value. So, be cautious/discrete if you go any higher than that.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on a great silver find... and nice move with the gift card. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    neat story. i havent heard a story like that in a long time. thanks for sharing image
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Audaces fortuna iuvat!
    You were rewarded because of your knowledge. Nice score and nice gesture!

The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy a happy ending. imageimage Kudos to you
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there's nothing in the world like that sweet sound, is there?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry