Home Precious Metals
Options

another "bad for dollar, good for gold" event

derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
And the petrodollar shrinks a bit more:

India To Pay Gold Instead Of Dollars For Iranian Oil. Oil And Gold Markets Stunned

"The vast sums involved in these transactions are expected, furthermore, to boost the price of gold and depress the value of the dollar on world markets."

a primer on the petrodollar:

The Petrodollar, Iran, and Gold—What You Need to Know

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like pump and dump to me. So sad.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    According to my calcs, that adds up to about 220 tons per year based on current consumption rates. India has reportedly 557 tons or so.

• Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭
    Interesting news source, but If it was an "event" wouldn't gold being going up right now?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting news source, but If it was an "event" wouldn't gold being going up right now? >>

Another non event. Gold lately, has been a Contrarian.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    i actually think that would be the other way around.

if gold were sold in large quantities instead of buying in $$$ the price would drop.
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iran would be broke if it were not for it's oil reserves. They will have to sell that gold back into the market to buy needed items. What this will do is chip away at the 'worlds reserve currency' status.

Anyone will take the gold as payment. But with gold at 500% of what it was bringing 10 years ago, Iran is a little late to the party in purely economic terms.

Eventually, they have to eat.

Who grows the food?image

Who manufactures the best farm implements? image

Who possesses the AG yield technology image
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope its good for gold prices in the future !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well gold prices are exploding upwards. POG now at $1,709.50. Up $43 + as of now. Maybe it was an event afterall.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looked like an eventfull, non-contrarian day to me. Gold miners lead the way. Yamana up 10% in one day?
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    bluelobsterbluelobster Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well gold prices are exploding upwards. POG now at $1,709.50. Up $43 + as of now. Maybe it was an event afterall. >>

I think the event was the FOMC releasing it's statement, saying they will keep rates low for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True,...the Fed announcement was likely the big mover, but I would think the 'gold for oil' issue did - or will - have an impact. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Looked like an eventfull, non-contrarian day to me. Gold miners lead the way. Yamana up 10% in one day? >>

Miners leading the gold? sorry, disagree. Propose that miners benefit from the gold move.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    +10% vs .65%

shares have been underperforming so maybe the got more spring in their step

thanks for the chart link RR. you understand it better than i. it looked rosy where it counted at least through my reading glasses.