Quotes from Important People

"Never spend your money before you have it."
Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• VetterVetter Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell

David Clayton Thomas
    Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Alexander Pope
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”

Edward R. Murrow
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "When in doubt I whip it out"

Ted Nugent
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

<< <i>"When in doubt I whip it out"

Ted Nugent >>

my favorite. image

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920

<< <i>"When in doubt I whip it out"

Ted Nugent >>

If MJ hasn't de-railed this thread; image

"No good deed goes unpunished." I've never been able to determine who it's attributed to...
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Paper is poverty,… it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself.”

Thomas Jefferson
  • Always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours.
    - Yogi Berra

I mean, life is tough. It takes up a lot of your time. What do you get at the end of it? A Death. What's that, a bonus? I think the life cycle is all backwards. You should die first, get it out of the way. Then you live in an old age home. You get kicked out when you're too young, you get a gold watch and you go to work. You work forty years until you're young enough to enjoy your retirement. You do drugs, alcohol, you party, you get ready for high school. You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities. You become a little baby, you go back into the womb, spend your last nine months floating... and you finish off as an orgasm.
    - George Carlin
    "If you hit a midget on the head with a stick, he turns into 40 gold coins." - Patty Oswalt
  • Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

W. C. Fields

Another favorite:

Alimony is like buying hay for a dead horse.

Groucho Marx

• dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    I haven't spoken to my wife in years. I didn't want to interrupt her.

Rodney Dangerfield
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If I had known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of IT "
    Jimmy Durante

Have a nice day
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The budget should be balanced,the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero circa 50 B.C.

It is the duty of the Patriot to protect his country from his government. – Thomas Paine

“When you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing; when you see that money is flowing to those who deal not in goods, but in favors; when you see that men get rich more easily by graft than by work, and your laws no longer protect you against them, but protect them against you. . . you may know that your society is doomed.” - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. Won't get fooled again." Pete Townsend

“It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong." –Voltaire

“Only government can take perfectly good paper, cover it with perfectly good ink and make the combination worthless.” – Milton Friedman
    “You can ignore reality, but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” -Ayn Rand

“The market is never wrong... Sometimes a bit early or late...” - Axel Merk

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "B*tch set me up"

Marion Barry

ps. I know, I know not exactly an important people. image
  • Preachers say, give your money to the Lord but they give you their address.............Hank Williams Jr.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are soooo serious. Here's my very favorite quote:
    bobimage

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
    then when I die I want to go
    where they went."
    Will Rogers, 1897-1935
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What we have here, is a failure to communicate" Strother Martin, "Cool Hand Luke"
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Birthdays are good for you. Statistics show that the people who have the most live the longest."

Author: unknown
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    "There is no way that you come from my loins. The first thing I'm gonna do when I get home is punch yo' momma right in the da mouth" -Sheriff Buford T. Justice.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

• << <i>Shaking the bush here, boss >>

..!!
    ..........Paul Newman...Cool Hand Luke...
    ......Larry........image
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Money isn't important, but the people who have it are." my old man.

"Alright you guys, listen up cuz I've got nothing to say and I'm only gonna say it once." Yogi Berra
  • "The problem is those that work for a living are out numbered by those that vote for a living" Unknown.
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    “I’m more concerned about the return ‘of’ my money than the return ‘on’ my money” — Will Rogers

And on the lighter side........

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

And the follow on quote by the robber is short and sweet.

I gots to know - video

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "This great Nation will endure as it has endured, will revive and will prosper. So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself—nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance."

---Franklin D. Roosevelt
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• 57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭
    "Don't let the screen door hit you on the way out!"

my dad (at least that's where i first heard it)

"For two bits that hussy over there would (censored) anyone in this bar"

my nana

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,399 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember back in the early 1960's when I helped my uncle on his farm in Illinois, the farmers would say "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!". Great advice for those who try to "fix" their coins.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    " American by birth, Southern by the grace of God!" Dunno who wrote it but I love the saying!image

Way I feel about the South!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Badges?? We don' need no stinkin' badges!!! Treasure of the Sierra Madre.... Cheers, RickO
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "The Death of one person is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic" (Joseph Stalin)

Steve

Oh yea, we mus'nt forget Billys, "I tried marajuana, BUT I did'nt inhale"
    Promote the Hobby
    Can anyone guess who said "For the first time in my life, I'm proud to be an American!".

• fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    "Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for lunch"

"Giving power and money to government is like giving the car keys and whiskey to teenage boys" -P.J. O'rourke
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    Had to find the one by Isaac Asimov:

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

I could spend days on Wikiquote!!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”

Edward R. Murrow >>

that guy had a good point. we the sheeple ............. image
  • pakasmompakasmom Posts: 1,920
    Perry Hall, - was it Michele Obama?

<< <i>Perry Hall, - was it Michele Obama? >>

Yup. She said this right after her husband was chosen to be the Democratic Party candidate.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

“The contest for ages has been to rescue liberty from the grasp of executive power.”

Daniel Webster
  • The best preparation for tomorrow is to do today's work superbly well - Unknown
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Eye appeal adds a little and forgives alot"...David (Homerun) Hall

• Meaningless!! Meaningless!! Everything is Meaningless!!

-King Solomon

I always laugh when I read that one.
  • mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    There is only one kind of freedom and that's individual liberty. Our lives come from our creator and our liberty comes from our creator. It has nothing to do with government granting it.
    Ron Paul

<< <i>"Eye appeal adds a little and forgives alot"...David (Homerun) Hall >>

IIRC that was actually about toning.

<< <i>I remember back in the early 1960's when I helped my uncle on his farm in Illinois, the farmers would say "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!". Great advice for those who try to "fix" their coins. >>

Who said "If it aint broke, break it."?

<< <i><< "Eye appeal adds a little and forgives alot"...David (Homerun) Hall >> >>

<< <i>IIRC that was actually about toning. >>

You are wrongo dude. The quote relates to eye appeal and not just toning appeal.
  • Groucho Marx is the best!!

"I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER."

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book"

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."

"Money frees you from doing things you dislike. Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy."

"She got her looks from her father. He's a plastic surgeon."

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

"Be kind to the people you meet on the way up, because you're going to meet the same people on the way down."

Ralph to Ed sound clip
    Avid collector of GSA's.

<< <i>

<< <i>I remember back in the early 1960's when I helped my uncle on his farm in Illinois, the farmers would say "If it isn't broken, don't fix it!". Great advice for those who try to "fix" their coins. >>

Who said "If it aint broke, break it."? >>

Don't know but it was probably a government bureaucrat.image

• I'm the best you ever seen, Fats. I'm the best there is. And even if you beat me, I'm still the best.

-Fast Eddie

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood

<< <i>

<< <i><< "Eye appeal adds a little and forgives alot"...David (Homerun) Hall >> >>

<< <i>IIRC that was actually about toning. >>

You are wrongo dude. The quote relates to eye appeal and not just toning appeal. >>

first off it is a lot and not alot.

In checking back he said that color adds a little and forgives a lot. I distinctly remember that because it was the statement I modified for my sig line. It is likely the same statement was made where toning or eye appeal was used too. EA has long been a component of grading whether the coin was toned or blast white. One can find a lot of coins in holders properly graded that don't have much going for them eye appeal-wise.

Maybe HRH will see this and chime in to clarify. I did find one thread from 2004 about color adding a little and forgiving a lot.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Who said "If it aint broke, break it."? >>

Don't know but it was probably a government bureaucrat.image >>

Looks like a book title for one and a Meatloaf song title for another and who knows how many others.

<< <i>first off it is a lot and not alot. >>

Dang your a nit picky whipper snapper.image

<< <i>In checking back he said that color adds a little and forgives a lot. I distinctly remember that because it was the statement I modified for my sig line. It is likely the same statement was made where toning or eye appeal was used too. EA has long been a component of grading whether the coin was toned or blast white. One can find a lot of coins in holders properly graded that don't have much going for them eye appeal-wise.[/Q.]

The saying: "Eye appeal adds a little and forgives alot" is on the PCGS grading room wall per homerunhall. Maybe David Hall will chime in.

• TIPPAHNUMTIPPAHNUM Posts: 79 ✭✭✭

“I can normally tell how intelligent a man is by how stupid he thinks I am.”
    ― Cormac McCarthy
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"having money's not everything and not having it is."

-Kanye West