imageimage

imageimage

This ends the 80's returns in this first scanned phase

Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    I think we already have our 2012 post of the year

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

This ends this round of the 1990's

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

And this ends the 2000's and the first round of scanning -- I have scanned the next batch but have not yet formatted them for uploading -- I will do so over the next week (I think?)

• Options
    BunkerBunker Posts: 3,926
    That is some awesome stuff!

I may have missed this, but how do you display these? Are they the same size as a BB card?

I look forward to seeing the rest of your collection!

My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of 2 (2003). My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 17 on December 31, 2009. We were stunned that another child of ours had been diagnosed. Please, if you don't have a favorite charity, consider giving to the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation)

JDRF Donation
  • Options

<< <i>That is some awesome stuff!

I may have missed this, but how do you display these? Are they the same size as a BB card?

I look forward to seeing the rest of your collection! >>

When I made them I really didn't put much thought in about the size I know I just wanted to make sure they would fit in a small return envelope ~~~ as you can see I have them stored in 2 binders using 4 pocket sheets. Binder 1 holds all the 30's ~ 69 returns the other has the 70's through present.

• Options
    Here is the 2nd phase of scanned 2011 returns

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

This ends the 2011 40's and 50's returns

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Great collection!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just looked up your 2 oldest ones you have and cant beleive that Ace Parker will be 100 years old this year!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    One of the best benefits that has come from this project is that I learn about players that I would never even have looked at before. Dan McGinn happens to be one of them and I am so glad that I was able to learn something unique about his first and only HR. Dan McGinn pitched for the Reds in 1968, Expos from 1969-1971 and the Cubs in 1972. He was a left handed pitcher and batter and it looks like he was primarily used as a setup man/reliever. The Expos came into existence in 1969 and he was picked from the Reds in the October 14, 1968 expansion draft (27th pick overall).

The brand New Expos opened the 1969 season on the road against the eventual World Series champs the New York Mets. Date is April 8th 1969 and Tom Seaver is matched up against Mudcat Grant.
    The Expos jump on Seaver in the first for 2 runs -- in the bottom of the second Grant gives up 3 runs and is out of the game --- he is replaced by McGinn who does get out of the inning with no more runs scored.
    Top 3 Expos get another run to tie the game at 3. Mets do not score in the bottom of the 3rd. Top 4 McGinn is the 2nd batter up and BAMMMMM he hits his first and only and the first in the existence of the Expos homerun off of Tom Seaver. Mets roar back with 3 in the bottom of the 4th knocking McGinn out of the game.
    Expos score 7 more runs over the next 5 inning and when the Mets fail to score the tying run in the 9th (they score 4) the spanking new Expos win their first game ever 11-10 (You can check out the boxscore here)

Very cool that a pitcher hits the first HR in the first game in the existence of a brand new franchise and it also happens to be his first as well.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>very cool; BTW Jim Mason was the only Yankee to homer in their 1976 WS loss to the Reds (worthless trivia)

IMF >>

To add to the pitchers hitting HR theme --- Joe Blanton of the 2008 Phillies is the only pitcher to hit his first HR in a World Series Game (10/26/2008) got the win too.
    Sent a request to him via the phillies late in the year --- no response yet. >>

Mickey Lolich hit the only home run of his career in the 1968 World Series, so there is at least one other pitcher to do that. Another fascinating thing about the Jim Mason home run in the 1976 World Series is that it was his one and only plate appearance ever in a World Series. Geoff Blum also did the same thing in the 2005 World Series, hitting a home run in his one and only plate appearance in a World Series.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>very cool; BTW Jim Mason was the only Yankee to homer in their 1976 WS loss to the Reds (worthless trivia)

IMF >>

To add to the pitchers hitting HR theme --- Joe Blanton of the 2008 Phillies is the only pitcher to hit his first HR in a World Series Game (10/26/2008) got the win too.
    Sent a request to him via the phillies late in the year --- no response yet. >>

Mickey Lolich hit the only home run of his career in the 1968 World Series, so there is at least one other pitcher to do that. Another fascinating thing about the Jim Mason home run in the 1976 World Series is that it was his one and only plate appearance ever in a World Series. Geoff Blum also did the same thing in the 2005 World Series, hitting a home run in his one and only plate appearance in a World Series. >>

Thanks for the correction --- now I need to make up a card for Mr. Lolich

• Options

<< <i>One of the best benefits that has come from this project is that I learn about players that I would never even have looked at before. Dan McGinn happens to be one of them and I am so glad that I was able to learn something unique about his first and only HR. Dan McGinn pitched for the Reds in 1968, Expos from 1969-1971 and the Cubs in 1972. He was a left handed pitcher and batter and it looks like he was primarily used as a setup man/reliever. The Expos came into existence in 1969 and he was picked from the Reds in the October 14, 1968 expansion draft (27th pick overall).

The brand New Expos opened the 1969 season on the road against the eventual World Series champs the New York Mets. Date is April 8th 1969 and Tom Seaver is matched up against Mudcat Grant.
    The Expos jump on Seaver in the first for 2 runs -- in the bottom of the second Grant gives up 3 runs and is out of the game --- he is replaced by McGinn who does get out of the inning with no more runs scored.
    Top 3 Expos get another run to tie the game at 3. Mets do not score in the bottom of the 3rd. Top 4 McGinn is the 2nd batter up and BAMMMMM he hits his first and only and the first in the existence of the Expos homerun off of Tom Seaver. Mets roar back with 3 in the bottom of the 4th knocking McGinn out of the game.
    Expos score 7 more runs over the next 5 inning and when the Mets fail to score the tying run in the 9th (they score 4) the spanking new Expos win their first game ever 11-10 (You can check out the boxscore here)

Very cool that a pitcher hits the first HR in the first game in the existence of a brand new franchise and it also happens to be his first as well.

image >>

very cool story; not only was it McGinn's first but it was also his only HR during his five year career (94 plate appearances)

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>One of the best benefits that has come from this project is that I learn about players that I would never even have looked at before. Dan McGinn happens to be one of them and I am so glad that I was able to learn something unique about his first and only HR. Dan McGinn pitched for the Reds in 1968, Expos from 1969-1971 and the Cubs in 1972. He was a left handed pitcher and batter and it looks like he was primarily used as a setup man/reliever. The Expos came into existence in 1969 and he was picked from the Reds in the October 14, 1968 expansion draft (27th pick overall).

image >>

very cool story; not only was it McGinn's first but it was also his only HR during his five year career (94 plate appearances)

IMF >>

CS,B. For some oddball reason, I loved my Dan McGinn 1970 card. Even when I kept pulling that one, I still considered it cool. But I never knew that fact about him.
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    Okay here is another great first homerun story
    Below you will see an autograph of Ron Allen. (Ron is the brother of Hank and Dick Allen)
    Ron is one of those guys that had a cup of coffee in the Major Leagues -- his time in the bigs lasted from 8-11-1972 ~~ 8-21-1972 with only 11 at bats during this timeframe.

Out of those 11 at bats he had only 1 hit -- that hit just so happened to be a homerun.
    Having your only hit be a HR is a pretty cool story but how/why he got into the game is what makes it an awesome story.

Flash back to August 17, 1972 ~ San Diego Stadium ~ the Cardinals vs the Padres

Lets go to the top of the 8th --- the visiting Cardinals are down 3-1 but the top of the order is up

Brock
    Sizemore
    Carbo
    Simmons
    Torre

Brock struck out
    Sizemore grounded out
    Carbo walked
    Simmons was called out on strikes leaving Torre on deck

Bottom of the 8th Padres up

Mike Corkins is called out on strikes
    Jerry Morales steps up to bat
    ~~~~ wait a sec time has been called and there is a bit of commotion over at first base -- the ump just threw Joe Torre out of the game he states that Joe was rubbing up the ball ~~~~~

Ron Allen is sent in to replace Torre
    no more runs are scored in the bottom of the 8th

Top 9
    Ron Allen steps up to bat on the first pitch gets his first hit / first homerun / last hit of his brief career

Sometimes baseball is a crazy crazy sport

Check out the boxscore here

• Options
    HoF worthy collection there. A joy to see.
    Thanks and keep up the great work!
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    bkingbking Posts: 3,095 ✭✭
    God I love this thread - so many moderately obsure players that I "forgot I remembered"
    ----------------------
    Working on the following: 1970 Baseball PSA, 1970-1976 Raw, World Series Subsets PSA, 1969 Expansion Teams PSA, Fleer World Series Sets, Texas Rangers Topps Run 1972-1989
    ----------------------

Successful deals to date: thedudeabides,gameusedhoop,golfcollector,tigerdean,treetop,bkritz, CapeMOGuy,WeekendHacker,jeff8877,backbidder,Salinas,milbroco,bbuckner22,VitoCo1972,ddfamf,gemint,K,fatty macs,waltersobchak,dboneesq
  • Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    Have you tried to mail one to Duane Kuiper yet? He hit ONE home run in 3754 plate appearances.
  • Options

<< <i>Have you tried to mail one to Duane Kuiper yet? He hit ONE home run in 3754 plate appearances. >>

I have not

-- yet --

Thanks !!!! for the heads up -- he is now on the short list to have a request sent out

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Have you tried to mail one to Duane Kuiper yet? He hit ONE home run in 3754 plate appearances. >>

I have not

-- yet --

Thanks !!!! for the heads up -- he is now on the short list to have a request sent out >>

Quick trivia, who was the pitcher who surrendered it?

hint....not a bad pitcher, actually won a Cy Young Award