Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Feb 2012 SMR and DPeck with his Wrestling All Stars....collector ties him for best 1983 set!

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The JYD is very nice in hand.
  • Options
    I have never sent any to BGS. I just buy them from time to time when I see them

Thanks. I always wonder when a registry member has cards from another grader. Good luck with your auctions.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options
    I have a few from this batch that I cracked out that are at PSA now. One is a Rocky Johnson and the others are a few Ricky Steamboats. I am hoping they do well.
  • Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Wow these cards are hot. I have a few I will be listing soon but saving my Hogan's image
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I sold a signed JYD with a faint autograph for a decent sum the other day......
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    I saw that for $125. That was a heck of a trade out on your part.

That is one of the guys who is buying everything he can win.

• Options
    Yeah not a bad plus minus for me on that trade out.... I agree.....
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    One of your most impressive feats...congrats!!!!!!
  • Options
    That is funny you saw that.

I bought a batch of five of them not to long ago from PSA and just listed one for fun to see what happened. Obviously it was bought and paid for.

Definitely going to try again image

• Options
    1983 Lou Thesz PSA 10

Nice price! Less then 24 hours and was sold at another record setting price.

Good luck with the rest of your listings King.
  • Options
    Your a celebrity with your SMRs...members need to send you theirs and you can sign and sell them......lol
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck, why don't you save one and get all the wrestling stars to sign it? That would be cool......
  • Options
    A few are dead unfortunately.

I thought about that too Bobby and I may still try and get the others to sign.

I still have five left. I opened my subscription one the second I got it and then just about two weeks ago I ordered five more.

• Options
    Going to have to get a copy of that smr. Great seeing wrestling old school cards get some love.
    Can't wait for Leaf Pro Wrestling Legends set to come out. I know Brian Gray has said he is getting a lot of guys who don't have certified autos to sign for it. Should be good.
  • Options
    BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Going to have to get a copy of that smr. Great seeing wrestling old school cards get some love.
    Can't wait for Leaf Pro Wrestling Legends set to come out. I know Brian Gray has said he is getting a lot of guys who don't have certified autos to sign for it. Should be good. >>

How long will it be before this Leaf set comes out? I have thought in the past this would be a great idea. I hope its not overly expensive.
  • Options
    I think a high end modern wrestling set with cut auto's of the true legends would be a hot seller for sure.

A hot modern product would do wonders for the vintage market.

• Options
    Not sure if Leaf Legends Of Pro Wrestling is going to have cuts in it or not. Is Brian Gray a member here?

Who would you want to see in the cuts if they did have them?
  • Options
    Andre, Bruiser Brody, Kerry Von Erich, Randy Savage, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, The Grand Wizard, The Junkyard Dog, Dick The Bruiser. The Chrusher, The Road Warriors with both Animal and Hawk.

This is a good start right here.

• Options
    Does Mad Dog Vachon have any cards or autos?

• Options
    I believe there is a current Leaf product he is in and the card sells very well.

• Options
    Record sales of these '82 and '83 cards this week! I would guess there are not many available for sale as they would have been listed the last few days.
  • Options
    Huge prices on these cards.....wow
  • Options
    Wow!! The cards are simply on fire!

It is definitely going to be much tougher to get cards I want to help my sets. Many of the graded cards have increased 300% to 600% since the article came out. Some even more.

Pretty wild.

• Options
    :-)
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    D,
    Have you considered selling one of your raw sets that you don't plan to grade? Or better yet, one of your lower graded sets? I'd be very interested in watching something like that.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    1983 Set $610 on EBAY

I am speechless.

I may sell off some raw cards if things keep going like this image

• Options
    And the sounds of cash registers ringing fills the air of the Dpeck home. That's pretty cool. You need to list one of your raw sets - just to test the waters!
    Jeff
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I have the following available if anyone is interested.

1983 Wrestling All Stars Series A - Factory Sealed Set - extremely difficult to find $579 per set

1985 OPC WWF Wrestling Wax Box (36 packs - very tough - Randy Savage RC) $299
    1985 Topps WWF Wrestling Wax Box (36 packs) $199 each

(6) 1999 Topps WCW/NWO Retail Box (24 packs/4 cards per pack) (poss. Goldberg RC) $14 each

gregmo32@aol.com or PM.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>1983 Set $610 on EBAY

I am speechless.

I may sell off some raw cards if things keep going like this image >>

wow, is this a record for raw set like this?

I guess in next couple weeks Leaf is going to release the info on the Wrestling Legends set they are putting together.
  • Options
    Yes it is definately a record. By far.
  • Options
    There is a seller that just listed all three sets that are sealed.

You will see some fireworks for sure on these.
  • Options

<< <i>There is a seller that just listed all three sets that are sealed.

You will see some fireworks for sure on these. >>

Anybody got a link for these?
    Jeff
  • Options
    1983 Wrestling All Stars

1982 A

1982 B

Here they are. No clue what these go for if a raw set of 83 can go for $610.

• Options
    More strong prices.....Tully Blanchard that reached $177.50 for just a nine....wow.
  • Options
    It is getting tougher to win a card.

I won three tonight and spent more on them then I would have liked but you have to pay to play.

• Options
    I am pretty amazed at the prices on some of the PSA 8s now....and of course the prices on the PSA 9s and the PSA 10s jumped significantly.... even the PSA 7s seem to be getting action when they previously hadn't gotten any love.
  • Options
    I think over time people will realize how nice many of these cards are in an 8. The other thing is when there are no 10's and just one or two 9's you know it is a tuff card.

There are cards that did well like Duggan, Roop, and Albano that are supper tough even in an 8.

I can't tell you how many singles of each of these I have bought trying to find high grade examples.

The Bob Roop in particular is very tuff as it is a yellow card and right near the front.

The Albano seems to always have a dinged corner and the Duggan is a purple card where any white shows and it is a card with tuff centering.

The one card I knew would go for big money was Joyce Grable. I never saw her perform but she has quite a following and her card does well. That is a super tuff card in a 10 and at first I was upset to see my Pop 1 destroyed but then when I saw the selling price of the Pop 2 it brought quite a smile to my face. image
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    great article! image
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    David,

Do you think there is any chance in the future for the mid-1980s Topps WWF cards to gain any value? Or are they destined to be "junky" because A) they are more common than the Wrestling All-Stars and B) most of the subjects already had rookie cards?
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    I think there is a small chance they pick up some in value. The problem is there is a ton of them available in packs, the stars have earlier cards, and the action shots kill the set.

It has been nearly 16 months since an 82A or B has surfaced in an auction on EBAY. You can find sealed racks and wax packs any time with the Topps version.

Many of the cards are tough in high grade so for example the Pop 1 Hogan PSA 10 #1 sold for $550. That being said I don't see them ever commanding even close to what the Wrestling All Stars do.

The other thing that is so great about the Wrestling All Stars is it features cards from many of the top stars from the 50's, 60's and 70's. While I never saw the Chrusher wrestle, I can certainly appreciate what a great wrestler he was.

I was with a client last week and we got to talking about them and he would say a name and I would say if they were in the set or not. He is 70 years old and his face lit up thinking about watching wrestling with his dad in the 50's and 60's. Wrestling was a very fun past time for many and the Wrestling All Stars has something for every wrestling fan in the set.

The fact that there are cards still to this day that a PSA 8 is the highest grade shows just how tuff they are.
  • Options
    Great article, and awesome set! I don't collect wrestling stuff, but like a lot of people I LOVED wrestling in the 80's. Flair and Kerry Von Erich were my favs. Actually I liked the whole Von Erich family. For some reason I was partial to the NWA (not the rap group lol).

Around 1985, or 86 my family took a trip to Disney World in Orlando. My sister and I were standing in the lobby of our hotel. She knows nothing about wrestling, but she spotted this huge dude with long bleach blonde hair and decides to mess with me. "Look, Hulk Hogan is over there" she says to me in jest. I turn around and scream....."That's not Hulk Hogan, that's RIC FLAIR!" I ran to find my parents who had the camera, but by the time I got back Flair was gone. A day or two later, I spot him with his family at the hotel pool. I approached him, and he was as nice as can be to me. He spent a minute or two chatting with me and my dad, and was nice enough to take this pic with me. To that point, it was one of the biggest highlights of my life lol. Does anyone know if Flair does autograph shows? I'd love to get this pic signed someday.

• Options
    That is such a great story!

I live in Orlando and from time to time he does signings around one of the TNA PPV's.

Next time I see one I will try and get you the info. I plan on going to one and getting some items signed and could certainly try and help you out.

I highlighted a few cards in the article and naturally one of them was a PSA 10 Flair and one of the others was a PSA 9 Kerry Von Erich.

Two of my favorite all time performers.
  • Options
    Thanks Dpeck, that would be great if you could keep me in mind when he does his next show near you! Also, if you ever hear of him coming to the NYC or North Jersey area LMK. If he happens to come around here before he comes there I would be willing to get your stuff signed for you too if that was something you wanted to do.

Thanks again!

• Options
    Nice photo and story! I think the 85 WWF Topps cards will pick up as they are drying up a little and they come out of the wax pack in pretty bad shape to begin with. It is really a great small set and sticker set too. I could see them picking up in PSA 10 grades. So far the #1 Hogan PSA 10 sold for $550...most any card in that set has sold for so far(pop 1). I love the 82 and 83 set's and glad prices have jumped. I purchased a few last night.
  • Options
    arexarex Posts: 999

<< <i>That is such a great story!

I live in Orlando and from time to time he does signings around one of the TNA PPV's.

Next time I see one I will try and get you the info. I plan on going to one and getting some items signed and could certainly try and help you out.

I highlighted a few cards in the article and naturally one of them was a PSA 10 Flair and one of the others was a PSA 9 Kerry Von Erich.

Two of my favorite all time performers. >>

I have always heard about how great and nice Flair is. Never heard of him turning down and auto and always being nice to the kids. I grew up near Chartlotte at the high water mark of the NWA and the Mid Atlantic promotion ran by David Crockett. Charlotte was a wrestling town (we had no pro sports) and everybody always talked about how nice Flair was.
    Rhodes on the other hand, always heard he was a little surly.
  • Options

One of my favorite wrestling items. Got this a few months back and then had it authenticated.

The Carnation card is his most rare by far. This may be a Pop 1 just not sure.

• Options
    isn't Flair super tough now and a pretty big price at signings? Hasn't he had some serious money issues and bankruptcy?
  • Options

<< <i>image

One of my favorite wrestling items. Got this a few months back and then had it authenticated.

The Carnation card is his most rare by far. This may be a Pop 1 just not sure. >>

That's a image card!

• Options
    NHL,

Not sure. He may have changed his tune. Ric has had a ton of money problems so he may be requiring a lot more money for his signature.

TNA has used him as a draw at the live events with the combo packages so if they continue to use a similar marketing scheme I think he will appear again here in Orlando.

I will keep my eye out and let the board know.

• Options
    Sold a Tullly Blanchard in a 8 for $80 which is quite strong for the 8s in the set..... it used to just be 10s but filtering into 9s and 8s right now....