Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Feb 2012 SMR and DPeck with his Wrestling All Stars....collector ties him for best 1983 set!

I hope people here will take a look at the article that was written on Dpeck and his amazing collection of Wrestling All Stars in this month's SMR (Feb. 2012). I am very happy to see him get recognition for his quest to have an amazing collection of wrestling all stars. I was excited seeing wrestling cards get national exposure as well. Great read!!!

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable

Comments

• Options
    Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    Congrats! Can wait to read it!
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice!! Congrats DPeck!!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    image awesome, DPeck.
  • Options
    jeff8877jeff8877 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Nice job...love your passion for the wrestling stuff...congrats.

Jeff
  • Options

Very cool, congrats Dave. image
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Sweet!!
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Congrats DPeck. Rob, can you post the article?
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    Just got my SMR today and saw the article. Good stuff!
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    Congrats to DPeck!
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    Nice article.
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Way to go, pecker
  • Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    I want a signed copy, pretty sweet, congrats!
  • Options
    hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭
    Just kidding
    Well done article and a good read
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Rob,

Thanks for the scans, that's outstanding. David has a nice souvenir of his project. Good stuff.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭
    super. way to go dpeck. image

eyebone
    "I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys thanks for the kind words.

I have been anxiously awaiting to see it in print and I am pretty excited in all honesty.

• Options
    kingbeeswaxkingbeeswax Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Dpeck! That's awesome! I forgot to write you in the email I just sent you that I didn't get the new SMR in the mail yet and I just heard of it from you. Going to read it here in a few. Congrats brother!

-Mark
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Congrats...do you think this will increase the demand for wrestling cards and thus make it harder to find those 1 of 1?
  • Options
    Nice collection Dpeck. I think that deserves a Nature Boy "Wooooooooooooo!"
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Mr. Mint I have bought a large number of graded cards on EBAY from some big dealers. There have been many on the look out for strong raw copies to submit and move out for quite some time.

The pop reports have really stalled in the past few months and nice raw cards are not showing up on EBAY.

The last few really scarce cards I have bought were costly and and I expect that to be the case going forward on low population cards. As with all of the cards we follow as the pop numbers expand unless the collector base really increases the prices go down so some of the more common higher grade cards have gotten hit as the number graded has risen.

In terms of will it increase interest in wrestling cards I have no clue. As I said in the article most wrestling cards have very little chance of really getting hot in my mind. They have all increased in price a great deal in the past few years but that comes from levels where they could almost have been given away.

There are a few cards in the sets that have interest to lots of collectors like many showcased in the magazine but guys like Scott Casey or Buck Zom Huffe have little interest to most and it will take a handful of more serious collectors to get interested in putting a graded set together for cards like that to ever be truly appreciated.

• Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    Great job Dpeck. I live in NC and saw many of those stars at the Dorton Arena with Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling and World Class Championship Wrestling. I have heard of WCCW making some cards in 84 or 85 but I have never seen them. Do you have any info on them? As far as the AS cards go, I never saw many of them during my youth. I did buy a Kerry Von Erich a few years ago on ebay since he was one of my favorites.
  • Options
    I have been actively looking for those cards and can never seem to get anywhere.

There is a website wrestlingtradingcards.com that has checklists and they have a picture of one of the cards of Kevin Von Erich. Those would indeed be cool but they are extremely scarce and I highly doubt many survived as most were probably pinned up to girls bulletin boards in their rooms. I am not kidding about that as anyone who knows about the Von Erichs knows they were mauled by teenage girls.

That is great you got a Kerry Von Erich card as they have gotten a great deal more expensive. I recently was looking at old matches on Youtube and actually came across a match he worked in Madison Square Garden from 1980 and it was clear then he was going to be a big star.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations. image
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME collection and congrats on the article! GOOD LUCK!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    Great article, congrats.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    The Von Erichs and WCCW were the best in Pro Wrestling in the 80s. The style was much rougher and most of the matches were half shoots. You should see the documentary "Heroes of World Class." It is not a WWE production so it isn't so biased. They revolutionized what pro wrestling would become in the 90s. I would like to get some of the Von Erich cards from the 85 All-star set in graded form one of these days.
  • Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Awesome David! Cheers!
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    Congradulations on being in the SMR, you certainly deserve it.
    Collecting 1955 Topps BB
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I love it when a regular contributor to the boards is highlighted with their collection......I'm happy for David and gladly posted up that article for all to see. Kudos to someone with a lot of passion for what he is doing even though it is not mainstream. I respect that! Today was a good day.
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Markmac,

Heroes of World Class is one of my all time favorite DVD's. I was born in 1979 so in 1987 when WCCW was on ESPN unfortunately my parents could not afford cable TV so I used to beg my neighbor down the street Lawson to watch it on his TV. That was at the tail end of the promotion and then it folded and they began showing broadcasts of GWF.

I had read about the Von Erichs in the wrestling books from the library and at the newstands when I would camp out in the magazine section for hours reading the various wrestling magazines.

The in ring work was absolutely awesome in Texas. While the matches obviously were scripted, many of those matches were so physical that even though they may have been predetermined someone was getting their a++ kicked.

The primary reason wrestling is doing so poorly relatively speaking today is the fans are not connecting with the performers and the in ring work is so soft it is barely believable in most cases. What was so great about Texas wresting is even though most knew it was predetermined it still kept you saying I don't know that looked like it really hurt.

Here is a link to the DVD at a great price on EBAY. It is an excellent DVD and gives you a great behind the scenes look at that Von Erichs and WCCW.

Heroes of World Class
  • Options
    Awesome article!

I think wrestling cards still have a ways to go towards peaking. It makes sense that wrestling being so popular + kids of that era growing up, earning more money + limited production/supply, = good long term bet.

Where any UWF cards ever produced? Those guys put me in a trance when I was about 9 or 10, watching on saturdays on a small tv. Steve Dr Death Williams, General Skandor Akbar, Big Bubba Rogers. Such cool names when you're 10.

I would have watched GLOW wrestling more, but it didn't last very long.
  • Options
    1988 NWA Wonderama

Here is the set of cards that also features the UWF performers.

This is a great value at $40 delivered. I have gotten a few cards graded from this set and if you get a few 10's which you should you make your money back easily. This is not a really hot set since this seller continues to pump out factory sets at this price but graded singles of Sting, The Road Warriors, The Four Horsemen, Ric Flair and many other stars can do well relative to the price per card paid.

I have bought 10 or so sets from this seller and he is extremely reliable.
  • Options
    PSA Set Registry

Here is the link to the sets if anyone wants to see who is in the complete run.
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    DPeck, read the article this morning. Great read. Don't let anyone ever tell you that you're not passionate. image
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PSA Set Registry

Here is the link to the sets if anyone wants to see who is in the complete run. >>

David,
    I'd never actually looked at the registry for the two '82 Wrestling All Stars sets - but no wonder they did a write-up on you! I've never seen such a monopoly. Very impressive, my friend. I'd say that's the definition of "collecting focus" right there. Do you ever foresee yourself selling any of those complete sets off? I'd be interested to see how a complete high grade set would do in an auction.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    great article...love that set..one of my favorites...
    Rick Probstein
    Ebay Store:
    Probstein123
    phone: 973 747 6304
    email: rickprobstein1@gmail.com

Probstein123 is actively accepting CONSIGNMENTS !!
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice article and great collection!!! image
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Dpeck,

Really great collection! Sounds like you've got the figure 4 lock on those sets. Nice article. The different colored cards look cool.

As some others said, you have a real passion for collecting those cards and that is great. I have had several experiences as a fan with professional wrestling back in the day. I met Gorilla Monsoon in person in Atlantic City on the Boardwalk in the 70s while on vacation. He was friendly and a behemoth, especially to me as a little kid. Also, I remember back in the early 80s watching Bob Backlund and Chief Jay Strongbow wrestle live in Allentown, and of course, the advent of cable TV did contribute a great deal to wrestling's popularity in the 80s. I really enjoyed watching the WWF wrestlers at the time. Do you think MMA has taken away some of the wrestling fanbase these days?

John
    Lawrence Taylor #1 Basic/Master
    1993 Pro Set Power All-Power-Defense Gold #1
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, dpeck!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    hookemhookem Posts: 971 ✭✭
    Just a big THANK YOU to DPeck for selling me my 82 Hogan rookie!

Congrats on the article. Very cool stuff. I expect to see that in a frame between the two displays you already have up!
    Hook'em
  • Options
    John thanks for checking out the sets.

To answer your question I think MMA has crushed the fan base. It is no longer remotely cool as a teenager or young adult to watch wrestling.

When Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock were dominating the wrestling scene in the late 90's and early 2000's wrestling revenues hit their peak. The nearly naked incredibly hot chicks, super violant cage matches and phenonimal story lines gave wrestling one more great run.

College age guys would order the PPV's and get hammered and have a blast. Today they are watching the UFC.

I personally think Vince McMahon greatly under estimated MMA and when he said they were not competition he was sadly mistaken.

I don't think wrestling will ever be as popular as it once was and I wish this was not the case.
  • Options
    Thanks Hookem!

The photo was not big enough for the third set which is to my right hand side. I have them in order 82A, 82B, and 83.

Then to the right I have another case with many of my Mike Tyson cards, the signed Hogan's and duplictes of the better star cards I have in the collection.

• Options
    Great stuff!

Best regards!
    Buying or trading for these signed Jeter rc's:
    1992 GCL, 93 Stadium Club, 93 Greensboro,, 93 South Atlantic League, 93 Topps Marlins & Rockies,, 94 Classic Tampa, 94 Procards Tampa, 94 Florida State League & 95 Columbus Clippers.

• Options
    I want to see the article framed on the wall as well
  • Options
    twileytwiley Posts: 1,923
    Congrats!

My only complaint is why are you pictured w/ a baseball glove?

I was expecting to see you holding one of Hogan's ripped "Hulkamania" shirts , bandana, or wristbands from the 80s or something like that.

• Options
    I agree! That would have been awesome and totally hilarious at the same time!!!
  • Options
    Great article Dpeck.My wife bought me Memphis Heat for xmas and it is awesone.I grew up watching Lawler,Dundee and all the guys that wrestled for Jarrett.Some of my greatest memories are of when my dad(passed away in 2008 at 58 yrs old) would take me to the Cincinnati Gardens to watch wrestling.I was there for one of the historic Flair/Steamboat matches.I used to bs with my dad all the time about the old wrestling days but I cant find anyone around here that has my enthusiasm about it.
  • Options

<< <i>Great article Dpeck.My wife bought me Memphis Heat for xmas and it is awesone.I grew up watching Lawler,Dundee and all the guys that wrestled for Jarrett.Some of my greatest memories are of when my dad(passed away in 2008 at 58 yrs old) would take me to the Cincinnati Gardens to watch wrestling.I was there for one of the historic Flair/Steamboat matches.I used to bs with my dad all the time about the old wrestling days but I cant find anyone around here that has my enthusiasm about it. >>

When I say around here I mean the Cincy area.
  • Options
    Twiley thanks for checking it out.

Hey at least there are some of the LJN figures on the desk for you image