Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you collect Silver eagles?

I wanted to know how forum members collect Silver Eagles. These can be graded or raw, doesn't matter for purposes of the poll.

Comments

  • Options
    nutmegnutmeg Posts: 345 ✭✭
    I started buying random dates raw ASE coins at coin shows for $15 to $16 each. Then a friend offered me a bullion set in Dansco 1986 to 2003 for a good price. I bought what it needed to complete it to 2011. Now I just keep current with one per year. The Dansco has toned quite a few coins.
  • Options
    SpeedieSpeedie Posts: 104 ✭✭
    All years, mint marks, types (bullion, uncirculated, and proof) and major varieties (technically that should be "variety") along with anniversary sets. The uncirculated, proof, and anniversary sets I collect in complete OGP. The bullion I collect in NGC MS69.

  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    i have a silver snake i set out a few times every year. works great, they are suckers for em!

    been very succesful. only bird to elude me is the 1995W.



    now i keep them in albums, OGP (sets), proof & graded...


    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got two complete Dansco sets that I add to every year... I don't mess with the proofs.
    Aside from that, I have a few rolls tucked away just as bullion. For a while, I was filling an album full of any date toned eagles before people decided
    they should sell for "MONSTER RAINBOW TONED L@@K !!!" money.
  • Options
    SpkrmakrSpkrmakr Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    I too, do the Dansco's with the unc's but also started a couple of proofs every year since 2000. I have some holes to fill. They are, like Morgans and Peace Dollars, big ole heavy silver coins. And, they are pretty. I don't care what you say!
    Spkrmakr
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful coins... I have proofs and uncircs.... up until this year anyway... did not buy any this year. I have the 1995W, slabbed. And the last anniversary set... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    johnravjohnrav Posts: 230 ✭✭
    PCGS PR69DCAM, flagless. mostly complete

    Could use a deal on a 2006! image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no "I don't care if it's Eagles or rounds. It's all silver."

    That's my pick.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly bullion purchases .. primarily for the purpose of taking a PM profit. Exception...Rev. proof 2006 & 2011 First Strike PCGS PR70 & 2008 with rev of 2007 F/S PCGS MS70.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    I've liked them from the very beginning. I started putting together 2 Dansco albums in the late 80's and add to them every year. It was nice back when I was adding them for $7 or $8 each. Uncirculated only. I would go to the local B&M and he would let me look through a stack and pick out the nicest ones.

    Many of the earlier ones have toned nicely!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file