Options

Post your favorite coin of all time

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
Whether you own it or not.

I have decided this is it...I think...maybe...at least today! image

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason, the Quintiple Stella has been my ultimate coin ever since first seeing one at the Eliasberg sale. It's beautiful, has a cool name, interesting legend and the "God is Glorious" reverse, played with while the mint was searching for "In God We Trust".

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Whether you own it or not.

image >>

Good choice......all I have is this oneimage

• Options

<< <i>For some reason, the Quintiple Stella has been my ultimate coin ever since first seeing one at the Eliasberg sale. It's beautiful, has a cool name, interesting legend and the "God is Glorious" reverse, played with while the mint was searching for "In God We Trust".

image >>

I like this.
  • Options
    I have always been fond of this coin. The Powerball Lottery will play a big part in my ever owning one, but I can dream.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    Hmmm...maybe this?

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this Double eagle on Legend's website back in October and about died.
    Ever since I got a glimpse of the Harry W. Bass Collection in Colorado Springs I have a thing for proof gold and this piece has it all for me.

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    >I have always been fond of this coin. The Powerball Lottery will play a big part in my ever owning one, but I can dream.
    OMG, I love that panpac coin so much. The only reason I would probably buy the Porsche before the panpac after winning the Lotto is because I know where the Porsche dealership
    is and it would probably take me a day or two to locate the panpac.

-Keith
  • Options
    drddmdrddm Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite coin of all time...............that's easy.

This one......and I'm hoping Dale will sell it to me one day.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe not my favorite coin of all time but certainly my favorite Kennedy I've ever owned.

peacockcoins

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Favorite that I currently own:

Favorite that I do not own (But hope too soon)

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold this coin two years ago and still like it a lot:

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Another "only if I win the lottery" choice:

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This 1805 dime set me off on a nearly 40 fascination with early U.S. type coins.

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite that I do not own (But hope too soon)

image >>

You must have your ducks in a row! image

Love that coin!
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Favorite that I do not own (But hope too soon)

image >>

You must have your ducks in a row! image

Love that coin! >>

I'd love to own a Chain AMERI. sometime, but the prices for nice ones are through the roof. I once tried to buy this one more than twenty years ago, but the collector-dealer who owned it won't part with it. This one is not Mint State, but as one of the major dealers commented to me at the last Baltimore show, "I'm not confortable with Mint State Chain cents are $400,000." I'm lower on the numismatic food chain, but I've got say the same thing for EF Chain cents that are selling now for $100,000 if they are the "real thing."

imageimage
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like coins that are much more valuable than this one, but I would probably call this one my favorite. Mostly because I was able to see it in hand at one of the Long Beach shows a couple of years ago... WOW!

The TrueView is nice, but it still doesn't do the coin justice as the coin has awesome luster that isn't really shown here:

• Options
    1799 Eagle. image
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    This one:

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first post here (long time lurker).

This is my favorite which I currently own ($10 1797 Small Eagle), although anything that has a one and a seven as the first two digits is fine by me! The relative rarity of the 1797 date and odd inclusion of the unbalanced/arbitrarily placed 16th star makes this type appealing to me.

I know many don't like the small eagle design but I quite like how it symbolizes the fact that America used to be much smaller than it is.

I also own this 1795 half O-129 - the "S over D" variety. I cherrypicked it a while back - I've seen a relatively low premium on these but they're still quite hard to find, and a great story which non-collectors appreciate as well of an absent minded mint engraver.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    RTSRTS Posts: 1,408
    My two favorite U.S. coins (Wreath Cent and 1796 .25)...love, love, love...

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy.

And I ....OWNED... it. Bought in 1972 for $200

And foolishly sold in PCGS 64 holder.

I weep from time to time. But it's okay. No one held a gun to my head.
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    I've got a few and don't think I can limit it to just one.

So ditto these for me...

Dan
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you wont like it.

im not gonna post it

but seriously, the Kennedy Half Dollar

and I dont even know why.
  • Options

<< <i>For some reason, the Quintiple Stella has been my ultimate coin ever since first seeing one at the Eliasberg sale. It's beautiful, has a cool name, interesting legend and the "God is Glorious" reverse, played with while the mint was searching for "In God We Trust".

image >>

I love it
  • Options

<< <i>I have always been fond of this coin. The Powerball Lottery will play a big part in my ever owning one, but I can dream.

Ron

image >>

I knew I wouldn't have to scroll down to far to find one!image
  • Options

1793 Chain Cent here also......so much history at the cusp of our fledging nation and mint.

I have one, but in a lowly AG3. Still my favorite!

image >>

......I collect old stuff......
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin, for it paid for my custody battle with the ex-

K
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This coin, for it paid for my custody battle with the ex-

K >>

Yikes! Sorry to hear...
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't be sorry. The profit paid for the battle. image K
  • Options
    You know we prefer people who have NICE coinsimage Welcome aboard!image
  • Options
    For the record, I don't own either the Higley or the Copper Myddelton that I posted earlier. In fact, I posted those as representatives of my favorite coin types.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭

<< <i>Easy.

And I ....OWNED... it. Bought in 1972 for $200

And foolishly sold in PCGS 64 holder.

I weep from time to time. But it's okay. No one held a gun to my head. >>

Wow! Even from a pic, that one looks a lot more like a 66 or 67 than a 64.

Don't feel too bad, a lot of us lowly collectors know all too well about selling coins and seeing them graded 1 or 2 points higher down the road in some auction or on a dealers website. image
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>you wont like it.

im not gonna post it

and I dont even know why. >>

I know why I like themimage

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coins you have SmEagle1795.

Excellent first post. I'd like to say image
  • Options
    Stefanie, I do believe you are the only person on the Forum that can post an MS-63 modern and make the other Forumites envious.
    Nice coin there.

Ron

<< <i>

<< <i>you wont like it.

im not gonna post it

and I dont even know why. >>

I know why I like themimage

image >>

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    rkprkp Posts: 434 ✭✭✭
    The most beautiful bust dime I have ever seen... Not mine

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1137&lotNo=992
  • Options
    This would be one of my top five (used to reside in my collection - now a headlight in the Sunnywood-Simpson collection)

Another very attractive toned IHC (its Mint state, not proof)

My very first toned Morgan

Another favorite

Wonderful Hellenistic Art - believed to be a portrait of Alexander the Great

All of the above from my collection - (several are no longer mine)
    Collecting eye-appealing Proof and MS Indian Head Cents, 1858 Flying Eagle and IHC patterns and beautiful toned coins.

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.” Mark Twain
    Newmismatist
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This would be one of my top five (used to reside in my collection - now a headlight in the Sunnywood-Simpson collection)

Another very attractive toned IHC (its Mint state, not proof)

My very first toned Morgan

Another favorite

Wonderful Hellenistic Art - believed to be a portrait of Alexander the Great

All of the above from my collection - (several are no longer mine) >>

Amazing coins and wonderful coins "Newmismatist"... I am so very glad you relinquished these two... image A great big thank you!

ABimage

"Christmas Tree"
    "Ultimate Neon"
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw this Double eagle on Legend's website back in October and about died.
    Ever since I got a glimpse of the Harry W. Bass Collection in Colorado Springs I have a thing for proof gold and this piece has it all for me.

image >>

i like image
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    droopyddroopyd Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whether you own it or not.

image >>

Don't you want to put it into a pendant? image
    Me at the Springfield coin show:
    60 years into this hobby and I'm still working on my Lincoln set!
  • Options

<< <i>Don't you want to put it into a pendant? image >>

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image thread
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised no one picked the 1907 UHR Saint or the gold Half Union ($50) pattern.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite coin is that huge Australian 9999 fine gold coin from the Perth mint with a $1,000,000 face value that weighs one metric ton with a melt value of $55,000,000.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know what coin it is ... I know who owns it now (at least if he hasn't sold it) and I know who owned it before him

Since the first time I saw it (unfortunately I have never seen it in hand ... someday, hopefully) it has been my favorite, and I think I could go to a box of one (at least for a while) if I ever had the chance and could afford to own it

I hope the current owner doesn't object to my posting a picture of her

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This coin in the Byron Reed Collection at the Durham Western Heritage Museum is among a few favorites. I can't pick just ONE. Sorry.
    It's about the size of a harvest moon.
  • Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome coins, everyone!

Larry L.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file