Home U.S. Coin Forum

Thought these were cool... Didn't know where to post them.

Pretty cool I thought.

Creation, Issue 122

“Creation,” is a striking creation in antique copper by famed sculptor Marcel Jovine. Inspired by the Michelangelo painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, this medal adds a certain tension and creative force to that iconic image of God giving life to Man. Against a stark background of creative matter, the image of God and Man stand out alone, the Man—now created from dust—being infused with life by the finger of God. The reverse of this impressive medal represents completed creation, the lower forms of life showing on the outer circumference, higher forms gradually ascending through a chambered nautilus to arrive at Man in the center, the highest and most noble of God’s creation.

This beautiful medal is struck in limited quantities by Medallic Art Company. All medals in the series of the Society of Medalists have been struck by Medallic Art Company, America’s oldest and largest private mint.

Marcel Jovine was one of America’s most noted industrial and fashion designers, a medallist, and a sculptor of figures and thoroughbred horses. He is responsible for the design of nearly 200 medals and commemorative coins, and sculptures of thoroughbred racehorses like 1978 Triple Crown winner Affirmed. During his lifetime Marcel received many honors and awards, among them the J. Sanford Saltus Medal for Medallic Art from the American Numismatic Society, and the Medal of Honor from the National Sculpture Society.

The Last Supper, Issue 129

Sculptor Geri Gould has created a masterpiece in bronze, The Last Supper, a sculpting of the 15th Century mural painting by Leonardo da Vinci. It represents the scene from the final days of Jesus, when Jesus announces that one of his Twelve Apostles would betray him. At The Last Supper, Jesus instituted a new covenant of his blood and body, the wine and the bread. Many Christians describe this as the institution of the Eucharist. The high relief of this bronze magnifies one of the most fascinating aspects of da Vinci’s original: every single element directs one’s attention straight to the midpoint of the composition, Christ’s head.

Like other fine art medals struck by Medallic Art Company for the Society of Medalists, this medal is intended to be handled, openly displayed, and enjoyed in the tradition of fine sculpture. The reverse of The Last Supper is a riveting display in the medieval Cathedral window tradition, portraying four major events in the life of Jesus: the Nativity scene, His baptism at the hand of John the Baptist in the River Jordan, the crucifixion with His mother Mary suffering untold grief, and His triumphal resurrection from the tomb.

Geri Gould is a native Californian of Native American and Spanish/Mexican American descent. In 1973 she started her own studio, creating sculpture for medals and awards. She has exhibited internationally, including the British Museum, and has works included in the Smithsonian Institution and in the Vatican Collections.

The Last Supper is solid bronze, brushed with an antique finish, measuring 3x6 inches. As all medals in the series of the Society of Medalists, it is struck by Medallic Art Company, America’s oldest and largest private mint.

Old Kabul Bazaar, Issue 127 (Reverse is blank)

More than three decades ago, Afghan sculptor Amanullah Haiderzad helped create Afghanistan’s first undergraduate fine arts program at Kabul University. In 1994 he revisited in sculpture the famous Old Kabul Bazaar, and this impressive solid bronze work of art commemorates that famous spot. Directly on the ancient Silk Road stretching from Byzantium through Kabul and to Xian, China, home of the Terra Cotta Warriors, the Old Kabul Bazaar was a crossroads of trade and commerce in the ancient world.

The Old Kabul Bazaar exists today much the same as it did in the distant past. It is inhabited by grizzled old tribesmen and peasants wrapped in tattered cloaks squatting in the market. Street vendors ply their trades. Metal workers still today pound out farm implements with hammer and anvil or etch intricate designs into blackened pans prior to sale, much the same as in centuries past. Children, animals, old men with their coursing hounds—all are as familiar in the Old Kabul Bazaar today as they were when caravans spanning the mountains and high deserts stopped in Kabul to secure the rare ingredients used in the millennial art of natural vegetable dyeing.

The Old Kabul Bazaar, originally sculpted in 1994, is part of a special limited-edition offering from The Society of Medalists. All medals in the series have been struck by the Medallic Art Company, America’s oldest and largest private mint. The impressive piece is struck in solid bronze with a hand-finished patina, and measures 4x4 inches in size.

Amanulla Haiderzad is a noted sculptor in the classical tradition. His initial formal training was at The Academy of Fine Arts, Rome, from 1960 to 1964. In exile from his native Afghanistan for the last 20 years, Mr. Haiderzad has been featured in famous galleries throughout Europe and the United States, such as The Galleria Lerici, Italy, and the British Museum. He is the recipient of many professional awards, and a noted sculptor of The Society of Medalists.

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too cool. I don't care where you post them, I thank you for sharing. I have never been around these type medals/medallions selling, but would like to own one someday.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is Art!
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Breath taking! image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep! Pretty nifty, indeed! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's get some of these sculptors to redesign our coins!
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's get some of these sculptors to redesign our coins! >>

Its not the sculptors, its the institution.

That is a great medal by Jovine. But the institution of the US Mint (as well as Congress and various committees) doesn't allow such things to come forward.
    Here are some other US Mint coins that were sculpted/engraved by Jovine (not quite the same caliber as the medal):

• kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remarkable. And nicely presented. Thanks for the effort.

Creation is my favorite. Outstanding!
    Lance.
  • Very nice, thanks for sharing. And thanks to D. Carr for posting the coins by Jovine.

Ron

Collect for the love of the hobby, the beauty of the coins, and enjoy the ride.
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are cool

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    The detail is amazing!!! Were can you get them.
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice artwork.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Those medals are amazing- i would love having the creation or the last supper medals most, as they have the most meaning to me personally.... does anyone know what the relative value is for pieces like this? image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    This one is my favorite: link

Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. I've never seen the Creation or Old Kabul Bazaar medals before.
    You have real nice examples of all three. Thanks for posting them.

Exonumia offers something for everyone.
    I'm partial to cathedral medals by Jacques Weiner.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then shall they know that I am the LORD! Ezekiel

Since God has guaranteed every one of us that we are going to Heaven, what a guilt trip when we're on our death beds, how long have I known this and I was such a poor solder.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very impressive medals Ray.. thanks for posting... Cheers, RickO
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Last Supper medal marked the end of the Society of Medalists series. Mintage is unknown. Examples exist with 1995 and 1996 edge dates. See "American Art Medals, 1909-1995" by David Alexander for information on all of the medals issued by the Society of Medalists and the Circle of Friends of the Medallion. The book is published by the American Numismatic Society
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Wow! They actually look 3D, especially the bazaar!
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • JedPlanchetJedPlanchet Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Exonumia offers something for everyone.
    I'm partial to cathedral medals by Jacques Weiner. >>

Those are pretty amazing ...

edited to add an image
    Whatever you are, be a good one. ---- Abraham Lincoln
  • baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow! They actually look 3D, especially the bazaar! >>

Yeah, pretty cool. The relief can be much higher on medals since they don't have to stack like coins.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file