Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Denied by Willie Mays @ Suntimes Show today... Update 1/26 - Card Signed!

Does anyone know why Willie Mays is no longer able to sign his 1951 Bowman card. After waiting in line for 3 hours (he is just that slow now a days - I was number 117) and finally getting up to Willie he and his handler looked at the card - Willie mumbled something and his handler said he could not sign it. Please let me know which company I should be pissed at for not allowing Willie to sign his rookie card!

Comments

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    brutal
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that really sucks. I was able to get mine signed at a MAB event earlier this year, so this is a new restriction.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    I would of been fired up. That really sucks.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    Whenever I go to a signing, I always bring a backup item in case this happens. Sucks!
  • Options
    TonyCTonyC Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭
    For the money he is charging, he should be happy that anyone wants to pay it and sign willingly.
    Collecting Tony Conigliaro
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that is unbelievable, Im sorry but at Willies age he shouldnt give a rats ass about restrictions. I would have told his handler to F Off, I know Im sounding unreasonable and whatever but gimme a break.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    Mays has a history of some very ugly behavior at signings. I saw a guy go across a table
    at Mays in the early 90s at a signing in New Jersey after Mays deliberately ruined the guy's
    item by signing over a Mantle signature that was already on it.

Sad

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Whenever I go to a signing, I always bring a backup item in case this happens. Sucks! >>

Did not want anything else from Willie for $289!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i>Mays has a history of some very ugly behavior at signings. I saw a guy go across a table
    at Mays in the early 90s at a signing in New Jersey after Mays deliberately ruined the guy's

Sad >>

Wow, could not even imagine what I would've done. Mays is a complete jackass...
  • Options

<< <i>Mays has a history of some very ugly behavior at signings. I saw a guy go across a table

Sad >>

He seemed very confused today and he was extra slow, he looked at the card for a good 30 seconds before mumbling maybe he was remembering an old contract or something.
  • Options
    the funny part of this is I have over 50+ rookie auto's in my post War HOF baseball collection, I've gotten none of them done in person. I've always had someone on SCN get the auto's done. For Mays I figured for $300 it would be worth it to see Willie sign it. I guess I should stick to having others get my autos!
  • Options
    http://www.mountedmemoriesshows.com/shop.aspx?flag=Category&criteria=1294

^^ I was checking out the site and they seem to have some really good guest this year - but the prices for autographs are just insane!!

However - I couldn't believe that Pete Rose was so cheap (compared to the rest). Heck, even Jogn Smoltz and Gregg Maddux are more than his. Guess because he signs everything in sight and there so much of Pete Rose autographs everywhere you look.

Sorry to hear that - seriously, at those prices, he should be able to sign whatever is placed in front of him. I'm actually glad you didn't get that card signed though. I think i could of gone with a picture of me, him, and him holding the card. That would of been nice too.
  • Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    About 20 years ago at a Giants fanfest I was in line for his autograph(free!) and all I had was a Giants hat. My turn came up and said can't sign it, next. I yelled out to the crowd for somebody to give me something to sign and a guy gave me this!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options

<< <i>the funny part of this is I have over 50+ rookie auto's in my post War HOF baseball collection, I've gotten none of them done in person. I've always had someone on SCN get the auto's done. For Mays I figured for $300 it would be worth it to see Willie sign it. I guess I should stick to having others get my autos! >>

If you want to try that route, MAB is scheduled to have him in January.

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    honestly he should sign anything for that price...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Wow, I would be pissed! I have written him out oUt of my Post War Auto'd rookie set, because I am not going to pay him $300 for an auto on a card. Thats insane!
  • Options
    Mays has always been a bad signer and extremely ungrateful to fans. With so many auto's of him out there there is no way I would pay that kind of money to get his auto in person.
  • Options
    You at least got a refund, right?
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow, I would be pissed! I have written him out oUt of my Post War Auto'd rookie set, because I am not going to pay him $300 for an auto on a card. Thats insane! >>

imageimage
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    It's possible you can blame it on Topps or the promoter? I've seen his autos in 2011 and 2012 releases. As for what it costs to get his autograph, I'm sure the promoters and the guy standing next to him get their cut.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    This is another reason why I hate getting autos from players in person. Same goes with writers and artists in regards to comic books these days and even actors and actresses. Always a few who want to be outright turds.

The actor who plays Dante in Clerks, Brian O'Halloran was one of the coolest people in person I have met this year to get an auto on something. Got to talk to him for a while at a convention in Cincy a couple weeks ago.

Also as much as people love to hate on Pete Rose, he continues to be one of the coolest athletes to interact with. I got to hang out with him on opening day a little this year and at two other Reds games throughout the season.
  • Options
    Pete Rose is trying to break Bob Feller's autograph record.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    Willie probably did you a favor..........His signature has gotten so bad that you might not have been happy what you would have gotten from him.

Thank your lucky stars.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Leathtech,

Man, that sucks that they did you that way. If you do end up deciding to chase an already signed one, you shouldn't have much of a problem finding them. He's signed a ton over the years. I know board member chromerookies had a few he was willing to sell within the past couple years. You might give him a shout if you need one. I've bought and sold to him over the years and he's a great guy.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options

<< <i>Pete Rose is trying to break Bob Feller's autograph record. >>

I could tell you some Feller stories. OK I will. A Very good friend of mine worked for a small drug store chain. He was a regional manager or something. It was called Pamida Located in Willard Ohio and the surrounding. Anywho Feller did two signings at two diff stores on a Saturday. My friend had to cut Feller a check and asked him "Mr. Feller would you like one check or two, one from each store"? He said" I would like two check and please dont tell my wife" or something to that effect. If you know much about Feller he was a car collector and always was into his toys. He would always try to hide money from his wife. I think its awesome. I met him a few times. A very funny man. Very funny.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The actor who plays Dante in Clerks, Brian O'Halloran was one of the coolest people in person I have met this year to get an auto on something. Got to talk to him for a while at a convention in Cincy a couple weeks ago. >>

Especially cool considering he wasn't supposed to be there that day...

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The actor who plays Dante in Clerks, Brian O'Halloran was one of the coolest people in person I have met this year to get an auto on something. Got to talk to him for a while at a convention in Cincy a couple weeks ago. >>

Especially cool considering he wasn't supposed to be there that day...

image >>

LOL
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Can someone please explain his signature to me? There's no way it says 'Willie Mays'- it has to say something else, but I have no idea what it may be. This has been bothering me off-and-on for eight years now, so if anyone has any insights I would be deeply appreciative if they could share them.
  • Options
    Bothering you got 8 years? I have wondered the same thing for over 20. A friend of mine Rick and his wife showed me a ball that he had signed in person and bet I couldnt guess who it was. It was Willlie I dont get his auto, your right it dont make sense. But its one I know off the top of my head.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone please explain his signature to me? There's no way it says 'Willie Mays'- it has to say something else, but I have no idea what it may be. This has been bothering me off-and-on for eight years now, so if anyone has any insights I would be deeply appreciative if they could share them. >>

I guess you havent seen a lot of modern player autos? If you look at Lincecum or Maddux, then Willie Mays autos look quite legible.
  • Options
    That's too bad when your heroes you grew up admiring or wish you'd gotten to see play end up being real jerks. Mays was one of the best players ever, especially if you add in all the racial tension he had to play through. It almost seems he still has that chip on his shoulder (from stories and comments I've heard). Whether one believes he has that right or not, admiration is admiration and you better treat your fans well. Especially when they pay a small fortune just to look at you and write your name down......
  • Options
    Screw it. Take the money and buy this.

Mays auto

Save yourself $200.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Can someone please explain his signature to me? There's no way it says 'Willie Mays'- it has to say something else, but I have no idea what it may be. This has been bothering me off-and-on for eight years now, so if anyone has any insights I would be deeply appreciative if they could share them. >>

I guess you havent seen a lot of modern player autos? If you look at Lincecum or Maddux, then Willie Mays autos look quite legible. >>

My point is that it clearly doesn't say 'Willie Mays'. Unlike most modern athletes' signatures Willie's obviously does say something, but I have no idea what it is.
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    Can someone please explain his signature to me? There's no way it says 'Willie Mays'- it has to say something else, but I have no idea what it may be. This has been bothering me off-and-on for eight years now, so if anyone has any insights I would be deeply appreciative if they could share them.

It actually does say Willie Mays IMO. On the "W", he now only writes the first diagonal stem (a W has four diagonal stems that constitue the letter). The i-l-l-i-e are all there, it's just that they are all written at the same height and the stem of the i is looped; the result is that all of the letters look like lowercase e's.

The M looks to me to be in cursive with a very large initial loop to begin the letter - from the loop he makes most of the M, but it quickly morphs to the "ay" at the third and fourth stem of the letter. The cursive "s" is lowercase but detached and higher than the other lowercase letters. It looks like he leaves out the last stroke in the cursive "s" so that it looks like an "r."

If you look at a 1967 topps Mays card, you can see a fascimilie of his signature showing the first big loop and first stem of the W in Willie and M in Mays.
  • Options
    After spending a good minute standing in front of Willie while he tried to figure out he was not able to sign my card, I'm pretty sure he's not all there anymore - it's actually kind of sad seeing him sit there. He can hardly hold the pen when he signs - his family must really be trying to milk the last bit out of the poor man.
  • Options
    He is still signing Willie Mays, it's just that his sig has degraded over the years. Here is a comparison of his sig from the 80's versus his sig last year:

80's sig:

Last Year:

• Options

<< <i>Can someone please explain his signature to me? There's no way it says 'Willie Mays'- it has to say something else, but I have no idea what it may be. This has been bothering me off-and-on for eight years now, so if anyone has any insights I would be deeply appreciative if they could share them.

It actually does say Willie Mays IMO. On the "W", he now only writes the first diagonal stem (a W has four diagonal stems that constitue the letter). The i-l-l-i-e are all there, it's just that they are all written at the same height and the stem of the i is looped; the result is that all of the letters look like lowercase e's.

The M looks to me to be in cursive with a very large initial loop to begin the letter - from the loop he makes most of the M, but it quickly morphs to the "ay" at the third and fourth stem of the letter. The cursive "s" is lowercase but detached and higher than the other lowercase letters. It looks like he leaves out the last stroke in the cursive "s" so that it looks like an "r."

If you look at a 1967 topps Mays card, you can see a fascimilie of his signature showing the first big loop and first stem of the W in Willie and M in Mays. >>

I understand the sig except for the "W".
  • Options

<< <i>Can someone please explain his signature to me? There's no way it says 'Willie Mays'- it has to say something else, but I have no idea what it may be. This has been bothering me off-and-on for eight years now, so if anyone has any insights I would be deeply appreciative if they could share them.

If you look at a 1967 topps Mays card, you can see a fascimilie of his signature showing the first big loop and first stem of the W in Willie and M in Mays. >>

The 'W' looks to me like a backwards 'R'. Assuming the stem is supposed to be one of the diagonals in a 'W', what is the rest of that backwards 'R' intended to represent?
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    not an "R", that's an "A"......although it resembles mostly scribble, there's a very credible rumor circulating that the sig actually says "Attaboy Barry".
  • Options
    Indy78Indy78 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭
    The 'W' looks to me like a backwards 'R'.

Yes, it does. However, I think it's the first part of the W with the rest of it left out, maybe to save time while autographing. Below is a crude drawing of what I'm talking about. The first shows the W roughly as Mays signs it today. The "stem" is the long vertical stroke. The second photo shows the full W somewhat reminiscent of his auto facsimile on his 67 T card. It's all a guess on my part after staring at the auto's for awhile.

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, I would be pissed! I have written him out oUt of my Post War Auto'd rookie set, because I am not going to pay him $300 for an auto on a card. Thats insane! >>

imageimage
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You at least got a refund, right? >>

I would hope so. You paid $ for a service and that service was not completed.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willie Mays + Barry Bonds = Jackass.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow - that's pretty bad!

What the heck was he thinking?
    Mike
  • Options
    bxbbxb Posts: 805 ✭✭
    Mays is an arse. Probably resents having to sign things to make a living. Passive-aggressive acting out.
    Capecards
  • Options
    So now I know how Barry Bonds got his grumpiness, lol.
  • Options
    I remember in the late 80's doing card shows and Willie was signing. At this one show, he was sitting away from the table, would take the item and never look up or say hello to the fan who paid for his signature. People started complaining and the promoter was fuming. Finally Willie started taking baseballs and after signing them, instead of giving it to the handler, he would roll it across the table to the fan. All the autos started getting smudged. Finally the promoter grabbed Willie and said "If you don't do this right, you're not getting paid". After that, he signed the items, but still wouldn't interact with the fans.
    Baseball is my Pastime, Football is my Passion
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>You at least got a refund, right? >>

I would hope so. You paid $ for a service and that service was not completed. >>

Yep, Willie's people said I could bring some else back to the table to have him sign - My only response back to them was where do I get my refund!
  • Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, not so surprising. He is a total jackwagon.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a scan of a Willie Mays signature from back in the '70s?

You can see that he included more of the W (all except the final upward stroke).

His signature simply has de-evolved over the years.

Steve