Home Precious Metals
Options

Would a $999 2011 ATB-P Mint Special (All 5 Pucks) entice you to order?

carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
So what if the US Mint published a $999 year end special that included all 5 2011 ATB-P issues + shipping.

Would you pull the trigger and jump back in?
Even if you have bought other 2011 ATB-P issues?

I know I would. I have not purchased 2011 ATB-Ps yet because I am waiting for them all to be available,
but a special like that would entice me to double my order.

Loves me some shiny!

Comments

• Options
    I think that would be a great deal.

With a more modest mark up over spot.
    Many buy and sell transactions. Let's talk!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't hold your breath waiting for such an offer from the mint.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Nope.
    Becky
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overpaying for the 2010s was enough for me. No.
  • Options

<< <i>Overpaying for the 2010s was enough for me. No. >>

A lot of collectors feel this way which means we may see some very low mintages for some some of the future issues. Think Jackie Robinson Uncirculated $5 gold commem.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

A lot of collectors feel this way which means we may see some very low mintages for some some of the future issues. Think Jackie Robinson Uncirculated $5 gold commem. >>

Second that. Plus, I like the series.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like all 25 ounces minted in one big coin the size of a dinner plate. Even better if it were colorized and had holograms stuck on it.

But any new product, as long as it's "Limited Edition" and has a "Certificate of Authenticity," then I'm good!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No... did not like the series when it began, still do not. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I'd like all 25 ounces minted in one big coin the size of a dinner plate. Even better if it were colorized and had holograms stuck on it.

But any new product, as long as it's "Limited Edition" and has a "Certificate of Authenticity," then I'm good! >>

If it's a legal tender coin made by the U.S. Mint, I'd probably buy one.image

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ATB party started and ended in the same year - 2010. It was a very good year.

2011 is for the die-hard collectors. I have left the party, regardless.

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    TWQGTWQG Posts: 3,145 ✭✭
    That party is over for me too.
    I never cared for the designs and only owned them for a quick buck.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I am only in for the 69 DMPLs. I like some of the 2012s. The problem I fear with the DMPLs is the spotting issues like the ASEs. I have sent back 2010 DMPLs back becasue of spotting developing. If the DMPLs fall in the $250 range I will definitely buy, but not in $350 range. No Ps for me anymore.
  • Options
    My feeling was that this would get you within a reasonable range of spot AND the P's give you the guaranteed lower mintage kicker to boot.

Otherwise, I agree with others, it's getting hard to pull the trigger on these moving forward.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    The 5oz ATB's are a fun way to stack a little silver. I plan on getting 1 each of the regular bullion coins so to keep the set looking the same I think i'd pass up the P's and stick with the bullion coins.
  • Options
    If the mint were to offer them directly for $1000 a set I would certainly be a buyer.

<< <i>A lot of collectors feel this way which means we may see some very low mintages for some some of the future issues. >>

I agree with this 100%. It's interesting to note that the last numbers posted for the Chickasaw coin show the mint has sold less than 30k this year. There's actually a slim chance at this point that it may wind up with a lower mintage than the 2010 bullion coins. I know the mint can't strike any more after 12/31, but who knows how many they still have and how long will they sell them before melting the rest. I already bought a couple, but I'm thinking about buying a few tubes of them in December if they're sales are still way down and I can get them for a very reasonable premium.

Now's also a great time to grab 2010 sets as a lot of folks were burned paying higher prices and are dumping them. They still command a premium over the 2011 bullion coins on eBay, but I've seen some auctions end for essentially the same premium as the 2011 coins. IMO folks who are willing to sit on these for 10, 20, or 30+ years will be rewarded for buying ATB's as long as the premiums make sense.
  • Options

<< <i>but who knows how many they still have and how long will they sell them before melting the rest. >>

The Mint CANNOT sell them after 12/31. If they pressed a warehouse full of Chickasaws, all unsold as of 12/31 would have to melted down.

We will know in January the final mintage for all 2011 bullion coins.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭
    Where/when did it say they can't sell them after 12/31? They often sell mint sets/proof sets/spouse coins into the next year.
  • Options

<< <i>The Mint CANNOT sell them after 12/31. If they pressed a warehouse full of Chickasaws, all unsold as of 12/31 would have to melted down.
    We will know in January the final mintage for all 2011 bullion coins. >>

Are you sure about that? Keep in mind they sold 2010 collector pucks in 2011, and it seems like the AP's purchased 2010 bullion at the start of this year to resell. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I would certainly like to know more if you can point me in the right direction. My comment regarding them not being able to strike more after the end of the year is based on the comments made by a mint official on the youtube video that showed them making the 2010 bullion coins. The mint official stated they were rushing to finish striking all the 2010 coins before 12/31 as they wouldn't be able to strike after that time. That to me implies that they could always sell them into next year, but I may certainly be wrong. I honestly don't know about the ATBs, but I do know that they sell spouse gold, AGE's, proof sets, and other items in the next calendar year so I would be surprised if they stopped selling ATB bullion pucks too.

I hope you're right though as that will make the Chickasaw coin better than most are expecting image.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Actually stated in the law that none can be sold the following year that they are made.

another puck thread
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 5oz ATB's are a fun way to stack a little silver. I plan on getting 1 each of the regular bullion coins so to keep the set looking the same I think i'd pass up the P's and stick with the bullion coins. >>

Same here, at no more that $3.50 above melt per oz.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

<< <i>Actually stated in the law that none can be sold the following year that they are made.

another puck thread >>

Thanks for the link pf. I figured I wasn't the only one watching these image. I'm actually more excited about the basic bullion now that the mintage numbers are diving and the premiums are sinking, than I was before. Granted it was quite sweet buying sets below melt earlier this year, but the drop in silver certainly took some of that shine away. I'm not buying any more 'P' pucks until the mintage or price drops.

As for the 69DMPL coins I think they're largely a waste if you're chasing them. I would rather buy tubes of coins for the lowest premium possible and then cherry-pick them myself. I suppose if I saw a set of them for a reasonable premium I would bite, but I don't believe in chasing moderns once they've already taken off. Admittedly I did purchase a 69dmpl GC coin during the peak, but it was solely because the seller didn't mention the fact it was dmpl in the auction listing and it closed for roughly half the norm at the time. I paid $650ish and flipped it for $1200 the day I received it image.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I hadn't purchased, I would with that price.

Unfortunately, it ain't gunna happen.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    I haven't jumped in on any o the ATB coins yet, still working on getting my bullion stacks built first. Never understood why the cost so much over spot anyway...
    Remember that the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

BSTs with: Coll3ctor, gsa1fan, mkman123, ajbauman, tydye, piecesofme, pursuitofliberty

Travelog - 20in20travels.com
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Too much spotting for me.
  • Options

The 2011 25th Annies made up for that and some..."-)

The 2010 P Pucks are some of the lowest pops I believe...?

There very striking in hand, after you get over the Big Head Washington...

If Silver hits $50/$60 you'll get your money back at least and I think it will..."-)

PS... Edited Because of Two Glasses of Wine...

My Ebay Auctions

Currently Listed: Nothing

Take Care, Dave