Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Storage Wars Stars Find Pirates Gold, $500,000 Worth

2»

Comments

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Has it really gotten to the point that someone who buys a storage unit is a celebrity?

Maybe we are at the endpoint of civilization. >>

Doesn't take much these days.

No, I don't think we're at the endpoint, but it's starting to look grim, ain't it.

I've never watched the show. One thing I've noticed with a lot of these reality shows is there's one common denominator, though: The "white trash" factor. "Cops" started it. Then you had "American Chopper", and now they've got "Swamp People" and good heavens... something called "American Hoggers", if you can imagine that. And the list is way bigger than that.

Don't think for a moment that I'm suggesting that these people in this particular show are white trash. I'm not calling them that because one, I've never seen the show, and two, I'm sitting in a singlewide mobile home in rural Georgia with my false teeth out, looking out the window at my 16-year-old pickup truck and several piles of dog and horse poo in the yard. I don't need to watch the "white trash" or "redneck" lifestyle on TV. I live it, albeit reluctantly sometimes. >>

Talkin' about white trash TV? How could you forget this gem of a show?

We gave up the last of our TV when things went digital & our rabbit ears stopped working - never looked back. 3+ years later it is amazing how different the world looks... especially politics, when you don't have extremist polar talking heads telling you what to think 24/7.

Sometimes I fly JetBlue, that has direct TV in every seat, and I sort of use those flights to see what I am missing in the world of TV... I saw the Storage Wars show in the OP this way, followed by (and I wish it was a spoof) the afore mentioned Hilbilly Handfishin' ...so I guess I ain't missin' much.

Another TV anecdote from our TV-less home: we have a 5yo girl, who gets her TV fix in whenever we stay in a hotel - this summer during a weekend trip, she watched Nickelodean on & off over three days. At the time, the channel was constantly advertising these inane toys called Zooballs, Happy Nappers, and Pillowpets. Flash forward to the start of the school year, and we decided it was time to start our girl on an allowance... and so what does she buy? First she saved for a Zooball, then a Pillowpet, and now she is half-way there for a Happy Napper. This is from maybe 3 hours of TV over three days! Power of advertising indeed.

To keep things somewhat on topic, I am much, much more entertained by coin collecting than I am by TV. Thank you CU for this forum, which has turned coin collecting into a very social hobby.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TV in general has gotten terrible over the past 10 years or so. I cant believe people are fans of trash like the Jersey Shore cast or Kardashians.

Whats worse is Toddlers & Tiaras. I never have seen it but I have seen the previews along with news bits and I just shake my head. Ice Road Truckers is another stupid show.

On top of coins & comic books I buy alot of TV Show dvd sets. Majority consist of tv from the 60s & 70s. There is a few 80s and modern but not a one is reality tv.

As bad as tv is now I dread to think how bad it will be 10 years from now.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>TV in general has gotten terrible over the past 10 years or so. I cant believe people are fans of trash like the Jersey Shore cast or Kardashians. >>

So-called "reality TV" is inane and idiotic. Survivor, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, and the myriad of clones should just die. But as long as the masses will (apparently) sit glued to the TV, vacant-eyed and drooling, just to be able to see make believe celebrities and people famous for being famous, the genre isn't going to die the miserable death it should.

Conversely, I think TV overall is better now than 10 years ago in one major respect: the number of crime/police procedurals, a genre I happen to love, is WAY up.

NCIS
    NCIS: Los Angeles
    Criminal Minds
    The CSI franchise
    The Law & Order franchise (although my favorite, Criminal Intent, is no longer with us)
    Unforgettable
    Person of Interest
    Hawaii 5-0
    The Mentalist
    Bones
    Burn Notice
    Rizzoli & Isles
    The Glades
    The Closer
    Covert Affairs

If you're a fan of that type of drama, there's a plethora of material to watch/DVR.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Type 2,

Can you get me an autographed photo of Brandy?

GrandAm image >>

I can get you one of all of them in the pic it cool looking. But if you want one of just Brandy it may have Jarrod in it or I can take a pic and have her Autographe it.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hillbilly Handfishin'! Man, how could I forget that! image

<< <i>To keep things somewhat on topic, I am much, much more entertained by coin collecting than I am by TV. Thank you CU for this forum, which has turned coin collecting into a very social hobby. >>

I could live without TV. I do occasionally enjoy a few things on PBS and the NatGeo channel, but not a whole lot more than that. I wish I could get more BBC archaeological programs.

Ladymarcovan and young Victoria, however, are a different story, so there is a TV in this household. It ain't on 24/7 like in some homes, though. Our neighbor's kid has a TV in his room which is literally on 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. I go out into our dark, rural backyard at night and see beams of multicolored light flashing and flickering across the lawn. Kid never draws his curtains, so I can watch Cartoon Network anytime I want (which is never), all without going back inside our house. Needless to say, you can venture a guess whose children are naughty and whose child is nice? image

Internet, though... ahhh... Internet. I didn't have access to it until 1999, but now I'd have a tough time living without it.

When I'm not here or guiltily watching TV, my nose is in an old-fashioned printed book.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>>>Why would you call them parasites?>>

Thank you for asking. Because in a down economy they make their living buying the foreclosed property of others >>

thats the way things are done here in america. the hard part is and i agree that it is in poor taste to see that done to that magnatude. people down on there luck and its exploited like that. it is a shame that they are parasites like that >>

If you have a booty of 500k in your storage unit i find it hard to believe you are down on your luck. What is left at home? Why did you forget to make the payment after numerous attempts to contact you?

They need to do a few of those auctions around me, i will rent a unit a few times a year and throw a tennants stuff in one and never make another payment. It is cheaper than taking the stuff to a dump. I pile from the floor to the ceiling in the smallest unit i can get. I would like to see the face on the buyer of one of my "treasures". When i go thru a unit it all goes in heavy bags and boxes dirty dishes and all.
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Type 2,

GrandAm image >>

I can get you one of all of them in the pic it cool looking. But if you want one of just Brandy it may have Jarrod in it or I can take a pic and have her Autographe it. >>

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hey if you can get me a photo of Brandy autographed or of both autographed I would appreciate it image

PLMK, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    I'm betting Barry bought it
    "I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more"
  • Options

<< <i>Gawd. "Storage Wars" is the stupidest 10 minutes of TV I have EVER watched. The "Kardashians" are fantastic next to those a$$hats. I mean really, why all the freakin' drama? You are buying peoples cast off crap and making it seem like there is so much involved.

Here's what's involved with buying a storage unit at auction: Get a bidder number, bid as much as you feel comfortable with paying. If you don't win it, don't whine and b***h about the other guy who did win it. If you wanted it, you should have bid more! They all are such poor sports.

Rant done. >>

kardashians? joking right?? LOL
  • Options
    OK Just off the Phone with Dan lets just say no one from the cast got it it's a guy from San Jose name John and we can not give out his last name. They are trying to get him on the Alen Show.. But the guy does not want to go on. Looks like some of the coins are Gold Dubloons and Silver Pices of eight Man that lucky dog. If any one has a big Estate let us know and we can get a film crew to work it with Dan Dotson and Laura Dotson as the auctioner. Let us know.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will quit playing Texas holdem tournaments and start playing the storage flip game this Spring with my 17 year old son. I figure we can do some good old male bonding in the process.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

My storage locker hoard.
  • Options
    CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Type 2 is right, I just read another report and the buyer was not a cast member. That's to bad because then we would have been able to see more of it. They always pick one of the cast to follow and see what there hall is worth. Dang It, I would love to have seen everything in there.
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I read all of these threads(quickly I admit) but did not see when this episode will air.
    Anybody know?
    Thanks.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I read all of these threads(quickly I admit) but did not see when this episode will air.
    Anybody know?
    Thanks. >>

Probably on April 1.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    It will not air. Not the buyer or seller or storage place wants him to show where it was found. Kinda of crazy but you need to do what they want.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    pennyanniepennyannie Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭
    Before the show aired you could buy storage units for 30 to 100 bucks around here, now you can not even walk thru a parking lot for all the people thinking they are going to strike it rich now. LOL
    Mark
    NGC registry V-Nickel proof #6!!!!
    working on proof shield nickels # 8 with a bullet!!!!

RIP "BEAR"
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a large number of storage unit facilities in Contra Costa County, from the shores of San Francisco Bay to the Delta and central valley, from the water front along the northern rim of the county to the southern boundary with Alameda County. It would take a long time to cover them all and find out which facility had the newly discovered "Pirates Gold" lurking within.

Now if the customer of the storage unit that was auctioned off surfaces and complains that his/her/its rights were violated through the conduct of an auction that did not comply with applicable laws, a lawsuit against the storage facility, the auctioneers and the high bidder at the sale to either unwind the sale or alternatively obtain monetary damages for the value of the improperly sold contents would definitely make headlines and maybe even TMZ.
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭
    If I'm ever wealthy enough to have a 1/2 million of pirate booty in a storage locker I'm spending it all to take a space flight to the moon! image
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are a large number of storage unit facilities in Contra Costa County, from the shores of San Francisco Bay to the Delta and central valley, from the water front along the northern rim of the county to the southern boundary with Alameda County. It would take a long time to cover them all and find out which facility had the newly discovered "Pirates Gold" lurking within.

Now if the customer of the storage unit that was auctioned off surfaces and complains that his/her/its rights were violated through the conduct of an auction that did not comply with applicable laws, a lawsuit against the storage facility, the auctioneers and the high bidder at the sale to either unwind the sale or alternatively obtain monetary damages for the value of the improperly sold contents would definitely make headlines and maybe even TMZ. >>

Hence the reason that no one involved probably wants it televised image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I read all of these threads(quickly I admit) but did not see when this episode will air.
    Anybody know?
    Thanks. >>

Probably on April 1.image >>

Point well taken!
    LOLimage
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>500,000 worth of gold and it takes 3 people to move it? >>

I could run 100 yards in under 20 seconds carrying $500,000 worth of gold.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Gawd. "Storage Wars" is the stupidest 10 minutes of TV I have EVER watched. The "Kardashians" are fantastic next to those a$$hats. I mean really, why all the freakin' drama? You are buying peoples cast off crap and making it seem like there is so much involved.

Here's what's involved with buying a storage unit at auction: Get a bidder number, bid as much as you feel comfortable with paying. If you don't win it, don't whine and b***h about the other guy who did win it. If you wanted it, you should have bid more! They all are such poor sports.

Rant done. >>

kardashians? joking right?? LOL >>

Yes, joking! As much as the K clan makes me want to puke, the Storage Wars crew is soo much worse.

Someone mentioned it, and I wonder if that show is sponsored by the Association of Self-Storage Owners.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Rant done. >>

Yes, joking! As much as the K clan makes me want to puke, the Storage Wars crew is soo much worse.

Someone mentioned it, and I wonder if that show is sponsored by the Association of Self-Storage Owners. >>

at least the storage wars people make their money with an eye for antiques, not getting OJ the killer off of murdering 2 people.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Rant done. >>

Someone mentioned it, and I wonder if that show is sponsored by the Association of Self-Storage Owners. >>

at least the storage wars people make their money with an eye for antiques, not getting OJ the killer off of murdering 2 people. >>

Yeah. BUT that is not why the K clan is famous. It had something to do with one of them having a big butt and some producer thought that she MUST have some kind of talent that people want to know about!! And if THAT one has that kind of talent, then the whole freakin' crew must be idiot-talent-savants! Let's get these twits on TV!

If you asked 100 people on the street what the connection between Simpson and Kardashian is, maybe 3 could tell you.
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thank you for asking. Because in a down economy they make their living buying the foreclosed property of others >>

thats the way things are done here in america. the hard part is and i agree that it is in poor taste to see that done to that magnatude. people down on there luck and its exploited like that. it is a shame that they are parasites like that >>

I managed a storage facility at my B&M coin store, and NOBODY loses their property due to a "down economy." If they can't afford the rent they can just come get their stuff.

99% of the units whose contents are eventually auctioned are either DEAD or, have decided to stop paying because the contents are basically trash and
    not worth paying the back rent... and they almost never communicate..they ignore phone calls and the 30 day past due bill, the 60 day past due bill, the 90 day past due bill, we
    then have to send a certified letter, pay for a final notice advertisement in the local newspaper, pay the auctioneer, and TA-DA! Garbage bags of dirty clothes, beat up furniture, old TVs, VCRs and computers vintage 1990.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I managed a storage facility at my B&M coin store, and NOBODY loses their property due to a "down economy." If they can't afford the rent they can just come get their stuff.

99% of the units whose contents are eventually auctioned are either DEAD or, have decided to stop paying because the contents are basically trash and
    not worth paying the back rent... and they almost never communicate..they ignore phone calls and the 30 day past due bill, the 60 day past due bill, the 90 day past due bill, we
    then have to send a certified letter, pay for a final notice advertisement in the local newspaper, pay the auctioneer, and TA-DA! Garbage bags of dirty clothes, beat up furniture, old TVs, VCRs and computers vintage 1990. >>

What? You mean each unit isn't worth thousands and thousands of dollars? People aren't storing their priceless antiques and then abandoning them? But that happens in every episode!
    More proof that shows that focus on this sort of thing like Pickers, Pawn Stars, Storage Wars, etc are set up, contrived, scripted, and fake.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, here is a update from the new york post.

New Article
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>We gave up the last of our TV when things went digital & our rabbit ears stopped working - never looked back. 3+ years later it is amazing how different the world looks... >>

UNPLUG THE DRUG!
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    The article says the woman renting the unit died , it's interesting because recently there was the story in the UK about the guys digging up american gold coins in England , they traced the original owners descendents and handed over the gold. Im wondering why there is no indication of doing the right thing in this instance.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago a client of mine had to auction some items left in a building it bought through a foreclosure. My client ended up owning the stuff. The iems included about 80k old records which we resold for 270k dollars.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey !!!
    That was my locker.
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    I know it is not coin related but somehwat has to do with this post it is about Dave Hester....... imageimage

WOW SERIOUSLY!!!
  • Options
    I watched what was said to be the new series last night , none of the characters are the same , a step down for sure in all depts , i couldnt take to any of them at all.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone, Type2 is on Storage Wars right now! image

-Paul
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If" you had a chest with $500,000 in it would you keep it in a storage unit and then just not pay the rent on it? Something smells fishy here.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Type 2,

GrandAm image >>

I can get you one of all of them in the pic it cool looking. But if you want one of just Brandy it may have Jarrod in it or I can take a pic and have her Autographe it. >>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I would like to publicly THANK RICC AKA Type 2 for the Storage Wars items he just sent me. I got a whole bunch of American Auction items from Dan & Laura Dotson including the stuff pictured below:

Also included was a American Auctions hat and a really neat calander poster of ALL of the Storage Wars Cast & Crew. (too big for me to scan)

The autographed photo of Brandi is forth coming image

Again THANKS to Type 2 image for getting thses items for me, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Happy you rec it and like it. I'll get your pic of Brandi next.image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    I really got a kick out of people talking badly about participants in storage auctions. Many of the units purchasers operate thrift stores or second-hand-stores. In addition to operating stores that sell highly discounted items a lot of them frequently donate the remnants, smalls, or hard-to-sell items in the lockers. IE: Junky toys, stuffed animals, etc. Not everyone wants to run a thrift store but I'm certianly thankful that there's people out there who do.

As stated in previous posts, the units sales are rarely due to foreclosure and the people that lose valuable things have been well warned and notified that it's coming and to take care of it.

Nothing in life is free, including keeping your stuff in storage units. I mean, we could always just have people not pay for their stuff to be stored and then maybe the storage place could go out of business. Of course this would come after the gold stars for participating in owning a storage unit that payment was delinquent on. I can certainly see the economic benefit in that.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file