Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Storage Wars Stars Find Pirates Gold, $500,000 Worth

bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
Of all websites, TMZ is reporting something coin related.

Storage Wars Story

Comments

• Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭
    Wow!!! Amazing! I wonder who got it!?

-Paul
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    would rather see it in a museum than go to one of these parasites

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    I hope Dave H. didn't get it, he is such a tool.
  • Options
    coinkid855coinkid855 Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope Dave H. didn't get it, he is such a tool. >>

YEEPPPPPPPPP

-Paul
  • Options
    500,000 worth of gold and it takes 3 people to move it?
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    I don't know, interesting story but I wonder who valued it at $500,000. The coin pictured on the left looks polished or counterfiet.

Also its more likely to be a recent modern collection in an old chest as opposed to "real (-life?) pirates chest"
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    It wouldn't surprise me if the $500k "estimate" was high and the "loot" was contrived reality...

Big $'s being made by those shows.

How them Gold guys in Alaska doing?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it is real, it's stolen booty. That stuff just does not show up miraculously. The wife thinks
    a salvage employee has taken advantage of his employer. Hmmmmmmmmmm, do you just
    go for a snorkel and find this stuff laying on the bottom of the ocean? Maybe it was off
    of Oak Island? Buried booty?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>It wouldn't surprise me if the $500k "estimate" was high and the "loot" was contrived reality...

How them Gold guys in Alaska doing? >>

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the TMZ article this auction took place in my neck of the woods. I will have to check out the local papers and TV news to see if any local reporters have picked up the story.

From the looks of the three coins pictures by TMZ, I would not get my hopes up that the "treasure" is worth $500,000.00.

If someone askedme if I would have enjoyed being at the auction I would have said in a loud voice ....................
    ..............."YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"image
  • Options
    sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    Anyone here familiar with the "value" of the coins pictured? Interesting comment about what the writer of the "article" called the buyer of the loot.
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It wouldn't surprise me if the $500k "estimate" was high and the "loot" was contrived reality...

This.

At least it's more entertaining than wrestling.image
  • Options
    Funny how the picture of "the Treasure" shows no actual gold.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed. This is fake reality show B.S. Don't be so gullible McFly!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

I hope the old eccentric dude Barry got it , hopefully not the hubby and wife team , when she tried to get her catchphrase off the ground "its so money" it made my skin crawl..pity, cos shes no a bad looking lassie.
    Ive watched many episodes and the story doesnt ring true.It says the two auctioneers found it after they sold the unit,every time ive watched the buyer puts his own padlock on until ready to search/empty it.Why would the auctioneers be looking through a buyers unit ..2x2's as well , i wonder if its been proceeds from a robbery..or like others say , fakes..fakes make more sense , a prop treasure chest.

The Alaska guys are doing not so good , the guy with the brillo pad on his chin screwed everybody and "forgot" to pay the lease so dakota fred or whoever took the lease from under them and evicted them.Last i seen they were heading up to some impossible claim regards getting to it.
  • Options

<< <i>would rather see it in a museum than go to one of these parasites >>

Why would you call them parasites?
  • Options
    >>Why would you call them parasites?>>

Thank you for asking. Because in a down economy they make their living buying the foreclosed property of others

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If this is a set up, it's likely that these guys have a box of overpriced crap that they are ready to sell to the first viewer that calls them looking for a bargain. In fact, they probably have a dozen boxes of crap ready to go. And if this is indeed the way it goes, it's a great little scam!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>Why would you call them parasites?>>

Thank you for asking. Because in a down economy they make their living buying the foreclosed property of others >>

thats the way things are done here in america. the hard part is and i agree that it is in poor taste to see that done to that magnatude. people down on there luck and its exploited like that. it is a shame that they are parasites like that
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thank you for asking. Because in a down economy they make their living buying the foreclosed property of others >>

thats the way things are done here in america. the hard part is and i agree that it is in poor taste to see that done to that magnatude. people down on there luck and its exploited like that. it is a shame that they are parasites like that >>

That's the American way. My advice, if you even think you're going to foreclose on your unit, for God's sake take your valuables out first.
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    During my time in the navy i had an apartment on ocean drive in Norfolk , our boat got orders to the IO and we were told a years deployment ( and it was ) i put all my stuff into storage for that time as did many others. It makes me wonder now what percentage of these units belonged to servicemen deployed or simply didnt make it back.
  • Options
    joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "containing half a mil in gold doubloons"
    "at least 200 years old"

Do you mean 1787 brasher gold Doubleboons image???
    may the fonz be with you...always...
  • Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to go ahead and call shenanigans here. It's TV show BS.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Posts: 2,301 ✭✭

I think they are more bottom-feeders then parasites.
    My Registry Sets! PCGS Registry
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no faith in the show being real ever since I saw a show where an old frame covered and dust and not touched in decades had new $100 bills under the back lining.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    I think you are probably right blu62vette , either the buyers salt the unit with something nice to look good or the producers do.The one with the big guy darrel finding the silver morgans at the very last minute looked set up cos he cant act but i do kinda like seeing things i otherwise wouldnt , like the intricate oilrig workers hardhats etc ..
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have no faith in the show being real ever since I saw a show where an old frame covered and dust and not touched in decades had new $100 bills under the back lining. >>

Agree. You can't believe everything you see on TV. They need to have some excitement to generate ratings which dictate what they can get for advertising.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Charles Van Doren really did know the answers to those questions on Twenty One.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options

<< <i>Charles Van Doren really did know the answers to those questions on Twenty One.

image >>

I thought it was "The $64,000 Question".

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Charles Van Doren really did know the answers to those questions on Twenty One.

image >>

I thought it was "The $64,000 Question". >>

Nope, it was Twenty One
    Wiki entry
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

I thought it was "The $64,000 Question". >>

Nope, it was Twenty One
    Wiki entry >>

I stand corrected.image

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't know, interesting story but I wonder who valued it at $500,000. The coin pictured on the left looks polished or counterfiet.

Also its more likely to be a recent modern collection in an old chest as opposed to "real (-life?) pirates chest" >>

Hmmm. Did they actually have storage lockers back then?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would you have done with the foreclosed properties?

• Options
    silverman68silverman68 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Yep, these shows are fun to watch but I really believe they are altered in some ways.
  • Options

<< <i>What would you have done with the foreclosed properties? >>

Storage lockers deserve a government bailout... Duh!
  • Options
    Who ever put 500K in gold in a storage locker then never returned, is in jail, a coma, or dead. image
  • Options
    >>What would you have done with the foreclosed properties?>>

I understand that this property has to be disposed of in some efficient manner, and please don't think for a second that I am saying the bidders are doing anything unlawful. I'm just exercising my right to call it detestable to make your living this way. Moreover, most of the bidders on this show (yes, I admit to being an infrequent viewer) dont seem to make their living this way, but rather it is a 'sideline' for them to dabble in others misfortunes. A gamble if you will (I believe one is even known as the 'Gambler') The fact that they are so cavalier makes it more intolerable. Just once I would have my faith in humanity restored if the high bidder in a fleeting philanthropic moment turned to the auctioneer, after surveying mounds of clothing, teddy bears, furniture and other household goods, and said "tell the family they can come get their stuff back"

nevermind the goodwill, can you imagine the positive publicity this would garner.....oops, did i just give the writers of the show an idea for an upcoming episode? i sure hope so....

*and THAT is the wow factor!*

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm just exercising my right to call it detestable to make your living this way. Moreover, most of the bidders on this show (yes, I admit to being an infrequent viewer) dont seem to make their living this way, but rather it is a 'sideline' for them to dabble in others misfortunes. A gamble if you will (I believe one is even known as the 'Gambler') The fact that they are so cavalier makes it more intolerable. >>

Oh, you mean as opposed to the myriad of coin collectors and dealers making money or getting "rips" off the down and out that are forced to sell their coins to raise money?

Hypocrisy comes in many flavors...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    *snif*

*snif*

What's that smell?

<< <i>The Dotsons discovered the pirates booty after auctioning off the locker -- a small treasure an expert described as "Pieces of Eight Spanish Gold," dating anywhere between the 16th and 19th century. >>

Pirates. In the mid 19th century. Carrying around a hoard spanning at least three centuries worth of stuff.

Including some stuff that had been chopmarked in Asia.

OK, yeah. I suppose it's theoretically possible, but...

*snif*

*sniffsnif*

Aha. I smell TV hype. So that's what it is.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Curious to know how the IRS handles cash recovered from an abandoned storage locker?
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll call Dan Dotson in the A.M and get the scoop. Dan is a good friend he will give it up.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll call Dan Dotson in the A.M and get the scoop. Dan is a good friend he will give it up.

image >>

LOL. Have you ever noticed when the camera goes to Barry Weiss you hear a little bit of music from the '70's from Barry White? It's hilarious.image
    Beer is Proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Benjamin Franklin-
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of the hundreds, probably thousands of storage locker auctions going on EVERY DAY in the country, PIRATE BOOTY shows up on the televised one.

Golly.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's really interesting is that the same people who classify bidders on UNPAID FEE forfeitures as "bottom feeders" will gladly take out a mortgage that specifically says they will LOSE THEIR HOUSE if they .... DON'T PAY!

Our whole economy is still reeling from the stupid RESCUE operations "we" all demanded from "predatory lenders" while giving a complete skate to the FACT that every single borrower AGREED IN WRITING to all the terms of those terrible ...predatory... loans.

"Bottom feeders" indeed. Amazing.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Type 2,

Can you get me an autographed photo of Brandy?

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Type 2,

Can you get me an autographed photo of Brandy?

GrandAm image >>

And I'll take a date with her.
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    Gawd. "Storage Wars" is the stupidest 10 minutes of TV I have EVER watched. The "Kardashians" are fantastic next to those a$$hats. I mean really, why all the freakin' drama? You are buying peoples cast off crap and making it seem like there is so much involved.

Here's what's involved with buying a storage unit at auction: Get a bidder number, bid as much as you feel comfortable with paying. If you don't win it, don't whine and b***h about the other guy who did win it. If you wanted it, you should have bid more! They all are such poor sports.

Rant done.
  • Options
    Has it really gotten to the point that someone who buys a storage unit is a celebrity?

Maybe we are at the endpoint of civilization.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has it really gotten to the point that someone who buys a storage unit is a celebrity?

Maybe we are at the endpoint of civilization. >>

Doesn't take much these days.

No, I don't think we're at the endpoint, but it's starting to look grim, ain't it.

I've never watched the show. One thing I've noticed with a lot of these reality shows is there's one common denominator, though: The "white trash" factor. "Cops" started it. Then you had "American Chopper", and now they've got "Swamp People" and good heavens... something called "American Hoggers", if you can imagine that. And the list is way bigger than that.

Don't think for a moment that I'm suggesting that these people in this particular show are white trash. I'm not calling them that because one, I've never seen the show, and two, I'm sitting in a singlewide mobile home in rural Georgia with my false teeth out, looking out the window at my 16-year-old pickup truck and several piles of dog and horse poo in the yard. I don't need to watch the "white trash" or "redneck" lifestyle on TV. I live it, albeit reluctantly sometimes.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file