Options

PCGS Silver Eagle 25th Anniversary coins grading policy

13»

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Can anyone tell me how to have my 5 sets in one mint box graded set by set, each coin in the set graded consecutively? Do I have to enter each coin in the set one by one and repeat that 4x on the submission form? Also, with only 20 lines on each submission form, I probably have to use a second one for the last five coins. Do I put all the totals on the 2nd submission form? Please help! >>

I sent an email to PCGS regarding how to do this. Here is what the nice lady told me.

My question: I have a question about how to complete the submission form if I want each of the five sets (25 coins) to be graded consecutively. Do I repeat the PCGS coin numbers for the five coins for each set five times on the form? If so, do I complete a 2nd form for the last five coins and enter all the totals on that 2nd form?

Reply to question: Thank you for contacting PCGS customer service.

To get the 25th anniversary coins graded they need to come to us in the unopened packaged form the mint if you would like the 25th anniversary set designation on the label. The coins will be graded and slabbed individually. You may submit the coins under the modern service for $14 per coin and if you would like the First Strike designation then it is an additional $18 per coin. Since the coins are graded individually they will need separate PCGS coin numbers which you can find on www.pcgs.com/services . All coin may go under the same submission form.

My followup question: Just to be sure I am understanding your instructions, I would have one submission form with 5 lines, each for each different coin that is part of the set, with a quantity of five each.

Reply to f/up question: Yes that is correct. You may put the same coin on the line with a quantity of 5.

Don't know for sure if I was given the right instructions. I followed her advice. I guess I will find out in about a month. >>

After grouping a box of 10 20th anniversary sets on the submission form in the way you describe, I received the coin back in the order they were entered on the form i.e. 10 2006-W UNC ASE's consecutively numbered, followed by 10 Reverse Proof's consecutively numbered, and 10 Proof's consecutively numbered. After inquiring as to why coins were grouped by type rather than by sets (as I had wanted), customer service explained that if I wanted the coins grouped by sets, I should have listed them individually on the form. I was told the cert numbers are printed in the order the coins are listed on the submission form i.e. line 1 = cert 1, line 2 = cert 2, etc. so that is the way I would list them if you want to have them grouped by sets. If you already sent in your submission, you could try calling customer service once the package is in PCGS's system and ask them to put a note to group the coins by sets. >>

Vann is correct. Same thing happened to me back then and the same directions, after the fact, were given. Group by sets and not by type.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Can anyone tell me how to have my 5 sets in one mint box graded set by set, each coin in the set graded consecutively? Do I have to enter each coin in the set one by one and repeat that 4x on the submission form? Also, with only 20 lines on each submission form, I probably have to use a second one for the last five coins. Do I put all the totals on the 2nd submission form? Please help! >>

I sent an email to PCGS regarding how to do this. Here is what the nice lady told me.

My question: I have a question about how to complete the submission form if I want each of the five sets (25 coins) to be graded consecutively. Do I repeat the PCGS coin numbers for the five coins for each set five times on the form? If so, do I complete a 2nd form for the last five coins and enter all the totals on that 2nd form?

Reply to question: Thank you for contacting PCGS customer service.

To get the 25th anniversary coins graded they need to come to us in the unopened packaged form the mint if you would like the 25th anniversary set designation on the label. The coins will be graded and slabbed individually. You may submit the coins under the modern service for $14 per coin and if you would like the First Strike designation then it is an additional $18 per coin. Since the coins are graded individually they will need separate PCGS coin numbers which you can find on www.pcgs.com/services . All coin may go under the same submission form.

My followup question: Just to be sure I am understanding your instructions, I would have one submission form with 5 lines, each for each different coin that is part of the set, with a quantity of five each.

Reply to f/up question: Yes that is correct. You may put the same coin on the line with a quantity of 5.

Don't know for sure if I was given the right instructions. I followed her advice. I guess I will find out in about a month. >>

After grouping a box of 10 20th anniversary sets on the submission form in the way you describe, I received the coin back in the order they were entered on the form i.e. 10 2006-W UNC ASE's consecutively numbered, followed by 10 Reverse Proof's consecutively numbered, and 10 Proof's consecutively numbered. After inquiring as to why coins were grouped by type rather than by sets (as I had wanted), customer service explained that if I wanted the coins grouped by sets, I should have listed them individually on the form. I was told the cert numbers are printed in the order the coins are listed on the submission form i.e. line 1 = cert 1, line 2 = cert 2, etc. so that is the way I would list them if you want to have them grouped by sets. If you already sent in your submission, you could try calling customer service once the package is in PCGS's system and ask them to put a note to group the coins by sets. >>

So, the long list of each coin will do the trick?

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for starting this thread Don. At one time, your site indicated that the coins had to be submitted by the 11/27/11 to get first strike. I see that it has been modified. So, does the seal box rule apply to these sets - as long as they were shipped from the mint within 30 days and are still in the Mint sealed box, all the coins are eligible for First Strike? >>

Obviously I'm not Don Willis but I believe I can answer your question.

First off, that 11/27 was never a date since PCGS does not use the "order" date as that start of the 30 day period. Folks who did not know any better used that date. PCGS determines First Strike eligibilty from the "initial release date" which is the date the item first "ships" from the US Mint which in this case is 11/8 making the cutoff day for First Strike submissions on 12/8.

PCGS First Strike Information Page. Bookmark this Page!

Secondly, since First Strike is determined by "Delivered Within 30 Days of Initial Release" (from the back of the slabs), any unopened US Mint shipping box which contains these sets that has a postmark within the 30 day window, is eligible for the First Strike slab label and the 25th Anniversary Set label and can be submitted at anytime in the future provided that the shipping container is "unopened" and "original". Once it's opened, only two of the coins in the set are First Strike eligible. The 2011-S and the 2011-P Reverse Proof provided they are submitted (with a postmark) within the 30 day window. Those coins are always eligible for the 25th Anniversary Set label as well since, as of today, they are not being offered anywhere else OR as an individual product from the US Mint. If the US Mint decides to capitalize on the 2011-S coin , then only the Reverse Proof will be eligible for the 25th Anniversary Set label on a continuing basis.

The only way to get the 25th Anniversary Label for all 5 coins is to submit the sets an the unopened shipping box that the US Mint sent them in. This requires either repackaging the box in another container, or peeling off the original labels and reusing the original shipping box. (The US Mint packing slip has the date on it). The submission form would obviously have to be put in an envelope which is attached to the box (kinda like a packing slip) along with the shipping address.

OR, you could submit them at the Santa Clara Coin Show from 11/18-11/20. If I get mine, this is what I'll do.

I expect that ALL the sets will ultimately be First Strike eligible but we'll never kniow until 12/8 rolls around and someone reports that they "still" have not received the order they placed at 12:05 EST.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Thanks for starting this thread Don. At one time, your site indicated that the coins had to be submitted by the 11/27/11 to get first strike. I see that it has been modified. So, does the seal box rule apply to these sets - as long as they were shipped from the mint within 30 days and are still in the Mint sealed box, all the coins are eligible for First Strike? >>

Obviously I'm not Don Willis but I believe I can answer your question.

First off, that 11/27 was never a date since PCGS does not use the "order" date as that start of the 30 day period. Folks who did not know any better used that date. PCGS determines First Strike eligibilty from the "initial release date" which is the date the item first "ships" from the US Mint which in this case is 11/8 making the cutoff day for First Strike submissions on 12/8.

PCGS First Strike Information Page. Bookmark this Page!

Secondly, since First Strike is determined by "Delivered Within 30 Days of Initial Release" (from the back of the slabs), any unopened US Mint shipping box which contains these sets that has a postmark within the 30 day window, is eligible for the First Strike slab label and the 25th Anniversary Set label and can be submitted at anytime in the future provided that the shipping container is "unopened" and "original". Once it's opened, only two of the coins in the set are First Strike eligible. The 2011-S and the 2011-P Reverse Proof provided they are submitted (with a postmark) within the 30 day window. Those coins are always eligible for the 25th Anniversary Set label as well since, as of today, they are not being offered anywhere else OR as an individual product from the US Mint. If the US Mint decides to capitalize on the 2011-S coin , then only the Reverse Proof will be eligible for the 25th Anniversary Set label on a continuing basis.

The only way to get the 25th Anniversary Label for all 5 coins is to submit the sets an the unopened shipping box that the US Mint sent them in. This requires either repackaging the box in another container, or peeling off the original labels and reusing the original shipping box. (The US Mint packing slip has the date on it). The submission form would obviously have to be put in an envelope which is attached to the box (kinda like a packing slip) along with the shipping address.

OR, you could submit them at the Santa Clara Coin Show from 11/18-11/20. If I get mine, this is what I'll do.

I expect that ALL the sets will ultimately be First Strike eligible but we'll never kniow until 12/8 rolls around and someone reports that they "still" have not received the order they placed at 12:05 EST. >>

So my question is , i already know that my set will be submitting "opened " (well considering my order goes through) what will the other 3 coins get as far as designation? Just the grade? And also i will be attending the santa clara show as well will PCGS have a table there to submit coins to? Thanks
  • Options

<< <i>So my question is , i already know that my set will be submitting "opened " (well considering my order goes through) what will the other 3 coins get as far as designation? Just the grade? And also i will be attending the santa clara show as well will PCGS have a table there to submit coins to? Thanks >>

Opened sets will not get a "Set" or FS label on the three coins that were previously released before the set. They will get the "regular" blue label with coin ID and a grade. I would not even submit them as they are already on the market, some of them being FS. If only submitting the 2 money coins you will find it a lot easier, cheaper to mail just the money coins for grading. If submitting on site and sets have already been opened, just take the two money coins with you. If you want the three other coins graded as part of the set for your personal collection you might consider submitting it sealed and getting the "set" label on all five coins.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>So my question is , i already know that my set will be submitting "opened " (well considering my order goes through) what will the other 3 coins get as far as designation? Just the grade? And also i will be attending the santa clara show as well will PCGS have a table there to submit coins to? Thanks >>

Opened sets will not get a "Set" or FS label on the three coins that were previously released before the set. They will get the "regular" blue label with coin ID and a grade. I would not even submit them as they are already on the market, some of them being FS. If only submitting the 2 money coins you will find it a lot easier, cheaper to mail just the money coins for grading. If submitting on site and sets have already been opened, just take the two money coins with you. If you want the three other coins graded as part of the set for your personal collection you might consider submitting it sealed and getting the "set" label on all five coins. >>

Thanks derryb that was my fear I have a voucher to use I might just get the two money coins graded after it is for my personal collection. Or maybe I'll just leave them ungraded Hmmmm....I guess I'll just be happy getting them in hand
  • Options

<< <i>
    So, the long list of each coin will do the trick? >>

I guess for the only time it would matter is in the unlikely event you got all 70's or all 69's on a set? Going to have to mix and match anyway to get sets right?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    So, the long list of each coin will do the trick? >>

I guess for the only time it would matter is in the unlikely event you got all 70's or all 69's on a set? Going to have to mix and match anyway to get sets right? >>

It is a long shot, but it doesn't cost any more to have them graded that way. Have a better chance of getting all 69's (that would be cool). Easy decision. More likely will be to buy the other 70s to complete set.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 477 ✭✭✭
    How hard would it be to have someone make a submission form with all of information needed to have a sealed box of these graded by PCGS so all we would need to do is enter into a form fill space how many boxes/coins we were submitting? I would think it would stop all of the confusion about how these are submitted and it would assure there are no questions by PCGS when they get a form that has writting all over it from people trying to make sure everything is done on their order.
  • Options
    Don't know if this has been asked, but can you submit a box of these on a club voucher with first strike? I'd have a voucher of 8 but only these 5 would be first strike eligible. I'd just have to pay the first strike fee then right?
  • Options

<< <i>How hard would it be to have someone make a submission form with all of information needed to have a sealed box of these graded by PCGS so all we would need to do is enter into a form fill space how many boxes/coins we were submitting? I would think it would stop all of the confusion about how these are submitted and it would assure there are no questions by PCGS when they get a form that has writting all over it from people trying to make sure everything is done on their order. >>

It would not have the required unique submission number on it.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>The only way to get the 25th Anniversary Label for all 5 coins is to submit the sets an the unopened shipping box that the US Mint sent them in. >>

to verify: the 30 day window ONLY applies to the FS designation?

i'm leaning towards keeping my Bo5 sealed.
    ...unless i recieve a jingle box image
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    In PCGS' view, does "original Mint packaging" refer to the box the sets were shipped in? Which, btw, was not packaged by the Mint but by the fullfilment center. To me, "original Mint packaging" would be the case that actually holds the coins, which are in invididual capsules.
    Matt
  • Options

<< <i>In PCGS' view, does "original Mint packaging" refer to the box the sets were shipped in? Which, btw, was not packaged by the Mint but by the fullfilment center. To me, "original Mint packaging" would be the case that actually holds the coins, which are in invididual capsules. >>

PCGS requires submission in quote "unopened (sealed) mint packaging." The only sealed mint packaging is that used to ship the item from the mint's contractor, PBGS. PCGS considers PBGS's sealed shipment to be a US Mint sealed shipment.

The presentation box holding the coins is also considered original mint packaging but normally for re-sell purposes. It is not considered "sealed" by the TPGs.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you get the capsules, COA and packaging back from PCGS?
  • Options

<< <i>How do you get the capsules, COA and packaging back from PCGS? >>

Just WRITE on the submission form that you want the OGP packaging returned to you. I wrote that request on the blank space on the left and right-side of the form. Also, when my order is shown to have been received, I will call them to make sure that is notated on my order.
    Green neophyte
  • Options
    DonWillisDonWillis Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    make sure you read the update posted at the top.
  • Options
    DuPapaDuPapa Posts: 495 ✭✭
    On the submission list them in order from left to right as they are in the presentation case?

Or do the RP and S as 1 and 2? ... I think as in the case.... no?

edit... doesn't it cost a bit of $'s to get the mint packaging returned?
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but I believe that if I had all of my coins submitted before the
    30 day cutoff, it there is one, and did not get the first strike label on any of the coins, I could, at a later date,
    send in the coin(s) that graded 70 and have the first strike label placed on the coin since there will
    be a record of when the coins were originally received at PCGS and thus qualify for the first strike label.
  • Options

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    I am sorry if this has been asked before but, will someone please clarify the December 7th deadline for me please. Is it I have to have my sealed box from the mint there by December 7th or I can wait till I want in the future as long as the sealed mint box has the postmark before December 7th?
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,487 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am sorry if this has been asked before but, will someone please clarify the December 7th deadline for me please. Is it I have to have my sealed box from the mint there by December 7th or I can wait till I want in the future as long as the sealed mint box has the postmark before December 7th? >>

As long as the sealed shipping container received from the Fulfillment Center is untampered with and has a postmark on it as being shipped from the fulfillment center on or before December 7th, the coins inside qualify for First Strike™ indefinitely.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Can regular collector club members obtain the Mercanti signature special inserts on sets of five,(on 5 full set submissions),or is that reserved for dealers only?
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can regular collector club members obtain the Mercanti signature special inserts on sets of five,(on 5 full set submissions),or is that reserved for dealers only? >>

I believe that is for dealers only. You can get a dealer to submit for you. Not sure if there is a minimum volume required tho.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Can regular collector club members obtain the Mercanti signature special inserts on sets of five,(on 5 full set submissions),or is that reserved for dealers only? >>

I believe that is for dealers only. You can get a dealer to submit for you. Not sure if there is a minimum volume required tho. >>

I thought it was for bulk orders (100 or more coins) from anyone.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody will know!!!image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to thank those who posted about asking for the sets to be graded after filling the forms out with 3 coins in each line, just got a call from our host about my order, credit card number was messed up and asked them about group the coins by set and was told they would take care of that for me woohooo and also asked about getting the ogh back and if it was free with the first strike and was told I would be getting all 3 of those back too. Very happy Thanks to customer service now the waiting begins. Enjoy image
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>now the waiting begins. >>

NOW?!? image
    i'm still waiting for my shipment notification from the mint
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file