Home Precious Metals
Options

stocks vs physical gold

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The indices are largely made up of huge multi-national corporations that sell more product in foreign countries than in the USA. A rising dollar would hurt income, not "puff it up".

Don't they conduct overseas business in local currencies, and don't they all have currency hedging operations to keep from losing money due to currency fluctuations?

If a rising dollar hurts such income, that only exascerbates the tax shortfall problem, which further adds to the debt creation bubble. And as we know, there are no cuts in spending - only "reductions" in the rate of increased spending. >>

Yes they do business in local currency and they do hedge, but nothing can be hedged 100% and hedging comes with a price. Read the earnings reports of any big company and you will see earnings have been restrained by a rising dollar.

Yes, money earned in foreign countries is largely held in those countries and not taxed until brought in the US. AAPL is a great example. This does not exacerbate the tax problem as this has always been the case.

I wrote about a month ago that I was out of the market and posted a graph of the nasdaq explaining why. Its up another 7% since. Oh well. Did I miss a little fun? Maybe. Do I sleep well? You better believe it. image That said, I think the market is overbought, but may not be overvalued.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That said, I think the market is overbought, but may not be overvalued

certain specific assets like high quality coins, houses, or stocks can be both overvalued and a bargain. by owning more than one asset class, one can be happy about something no matter what the markets do. personally, I'm starting to trim stock positions just a little, and will be buying some more coins in the near future. standing pat on real estate for now but hope to sell some coins and stocks both, in a few years, to pick up a cabin on a lake. How does a cabin on a lake compare to stocks vs physical gold, for those who have tried them?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    How does a cabin on a lake compare to stocks vs physical gold, for those who have tried them?

Its horrible. The peace, serenity and solitude is deafening. The sunsets blinding. The sounds of birds chirping in the morning will cause you to vomit. And the water, well lets just say there's a reason why humans have feet and lungs instead of fins and gills.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How does a cabin on a lake compare to stocks vs physical gold, for those who have tried them?

In 1980 we bought a cabin on a lake with proceeds from our sales of gold sovereigns and forward contracts. I must warn you - it is possible to fall asleep on a rubber raft listening to the water lap at the sides of the raft at 3:30 in the afternoon and wake up on the other side of the lake at 4:30.

My advice, just do it.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Dow Jones and S&P new highs...DATA IPO up $17.
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    That chart is about right for a 2 year time frame and the assets shown. Glad I didn't get into GDXJ like I was considering, but that doesn't mean it won't be a good choice for speculation at some point.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That chart is about right for a 2 year time frame and the assets shown. Glad I didn't get into GDXJ like I was considering, but that doesn't mean it won't be a good choice for speculation at some point. >>

GDXJ is probably one of the best current plays in gold if one believes gold will continue upward.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    GDXJ is probably one of the best current plays in gold if one believes gold will continue upward

And what if one believes that gold will probably perform flat at best, and could even continue on down in the future?

• Options
    trend continues..

updated chart

• Options

<< <i>GDXJ is probably one of the best current plays in gold if one believes gold will continue upward

And what if one believes that gold will probably perform flat at best, and could even continue on down in the future? >>

DGLD

• Options

<< <i>GDXJ is probably one of the best current plays in gold if one believes gold will continue upward

And what if one believes that gold will probably perform flat at best, and could even continue on down in the future? >>

In this case loans to the banks via savings accounts or CDs would be justified.image

• Options

<< <i>

DGLD >>

That was quick +

good call derryb

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

DGLD >>

That was quick +

good call derryb >>

Where I'm currently parked, and why I prefer silver

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Stocks look to have a big up day today with the very positive jobs and unemployment
    report.

The data is so positive, I am surprised that it has not caused metals to rise.
    Up until some point in 2011 metals were in a perfect position. Interest rates
    and thus carrying costs were very low. Future inflation expectations were high.
    Perfect, and metals responded.

Then, the thinking changed to the idea that the economy would stay sluggish and inflation tame
    much longer than expected. That is the thinking now. This is the worst scenario for metals.

The surprise scenario would be the economy and inflation picking up more quickly than expected.
    We will see.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They must have dropped a lot more people from the numbers if 200k drops the unemployment rate 2/10%. I thought ~200k was the maintain level...?
  • Options
    the truth will sink in, it always does when it comes to jobs numbers.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Gold Buffalo Reverse Proof $1740 (2 month wait for delivery ) vs. 211 shares JCP at $8.25 (same day delivery last month, except only on paper)
    It's an experiment.

What will either be worth ? One may not exist. The other always will. Neither put food on the table. That takes a hunter with a hawk eye.

How much for a Bitcoin, today ?
  • Options
    So, where'd you get that Hawkeye round? I didn't know that Nebraskans were allowed to own something like that.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

• Options
    GDXJ will be looking ripe when the momo shifts.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>picture worth a thousand words >>

bubbles, bubbles, bubbles! Timing is everything, isn't it?
  • Options

<< <i>picture worth a thousand words >>

You go ahead and buy high (the blue one) and I'll buy low (the red one). Your picture confirms where the bargain is.

• Options
    The thread and opinions are two years old.

• Options

<< <i>The thread and opinions are two years old. >>

My last post is current opinion.

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How big are your ****s? NUGT looks tempting.image
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    Funny thing is when the red line was way above the blue line a few years ago people were saying how beautiful the chart was and to continue buying the red line.

I think im finally getting thru to you derryb. imageimage

We may now be seeing some relative value in PMs and related equities.

• Options
    My opinion to buy low was formed a very long time ago.

• Options

<< <i>My opinion to buy low was formed a very long time ago. >>

So you're the one who originally thought up that bit of wisdom! Maybe you can help us with this toughie then: when should one sell?

• Options

<< <i>

So you're the one who originally thought up that bit of wisdom! Maybe you can help us with this toughie then: when should one sell? >>

When your partner cohodk tells you to.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

So you're the one who originally thought up that bit of wisdom! Maybe you can help us with this toughie then: when should one sell? >>

When your partner cohodk tells you to. >>

Thats an insult to Baley. I believe he is probably more intelligent than both of us combined and more than capable of formulating original thoughts and ideas. In fact I'm not sure if I have ever seen him regurgitate a blog or other newsletter admiring another's thoughts.

Derryb, you are on record in these threads posting and promoting opinion to buy silver in the $40. Some people warned of relative pricing only to be scorned and ridiculed. It would be very easy for me to detail the values of some "all-in" trades, but you already know.

Fact is fact. Lots of good and well meaning folk have been crushed financially listening to fear mongering and ill-informed, uneducated hyperbole. Denial is a very deep river in this forum.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>well, it's been a month since the last post

how have stocks done versus physical gold?

Gold down 4.36% in the past 30 days

my largest stock position up 11.64% >>

Baley let me offer a quick counterpoint, there are many people over the last 50 years that have lost a huge portion of their life savings investing long term (10 plus years) in the stock market and that just doesn't happen with PM's. I understand it has worked out well for you and many others buying and trading stocks on a weekly basis but it's just not for everyone.
    Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    Since when are PM investors immune from long-term losses? 1980?
  • Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    Buy good companies instead? I'm seeing great value in silver miners. The ones that I researched have cash costs around $5 per oz. Gold miners have cash costs approaching $1000. I love ABX because of their reserves but still looks pricey to me. I decided to buy a silver miner yesterday. I'll re-evaluate mid next year and see if I want to add some gold miners.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
  • Options
    Alright, ringing the bell and cashing out some GDXJ, has been a good run chart

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Alright, ringing the bell and cashing out some GDXJ, has been a good run chart

image >>

I have been a promoter here of GDXJ for quite a while now. I agree, take the money and run. It will provide the same opportunity again later, but once again at a cheaper price.

• Options

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭
    Almost all investments have their day in the sun, except the ones that don't. Can't control the waves but you can learn to surf.

I've been stock heavy this year.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bailey... You get to keep your crystal ball, again. (make me a copy)image

<< <i> Friday November 04, 2011 7:56 AM by kuch: "Some believe another round of QE is just around the corner. Gold prices will rise and stock prices will rise. I wonder when it will be time to sell stocks and put everything into physical gold/silver? Who's got that crystal ball?" >>

respond from bailey:

<< <i> Friday November 04, 2011 9:29 AM "Saying "stocks" is like saying "metals" (or even "commodities") There are specific stocks that that will probably outperform gold and silver by a wide margin over the next couple of years. I do not think it is now or ever time to "sell stocks and put everything into physical gold/silver" but instead, to diversify among asset classes" >>

<< <i>Friday November 04, 2011 9:59 AM " Such a crystal ball does not exist...but Baley's advice is sound. Cheers, RickO" >>

derry...don't know about your c/b..it needs to be cremated. Hope no one took your advise.

<< <i> Friday November 04, 2011 11:41 AM "now is a good time to convert stocks to PM's. If the stocks are not PM mining stocks you should also consider converting to the miners. If the stocks are mining stocks, hold them. ETF GDXJ is a good paper play on the junior miners." >>

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    Got a match?...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>bailey... You get to keep your crystal ball, again. (make me a copy)image

<< <i> Friday November 04, 2011 7:56 AM by kuch: "Some believe another round of QE is just around the corner. Gold prices will rise and stock prices will rise. I wonder when it will be time to sell stocks and put everything into physical gold/silver? Who's got that crystal ball?" >>

respond from bailey:

<< <i> Friday November 04, 2011 9:29 AM "Saying "stocks" is like saying "metals" (or even "commodities") There are specific stocks that ithat will probably outperform gold and silver by a wide margin over the next couple of years. I do not think it is now or ever time to "sell stocks and put everything into physical gold/silver" but instead, to diversify among asset classes" >>

<< <i>Friday November 04, 2011 9:59 AM " Such a crystal ball does not exist...but Baley's advice is sound. Cheers, RickO" >>

derry...don't know about your c/b..it needs to be cremated. Hope no one took your advise.

<< <i> Friday November 04, 2011 11:41 AM "now is a good time to convert stocks to PM's. If the stocks are not PM mining stocks you should also consider converting to the miners. If the stocks are mining stocks, hold them. ETF GDXJ is a good paper play on the junior miners." >>

>>

The guy who suggested to go long PM's in 2011....well.....don't quit your day job.
    Have a nice day
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>bailey... You get to keep your crystal ball, again. (make me a copy)image

respond from bailey:

<< <i> Friday November 04, 2011 9:29 AM "Saying "stocks" is like saying "metals" (or even "commodities") There are specific stocks that ithat will probably outperform gold and silver by a wide margin over the next couple of years. I do not think it is now or ever time to "sell stocks and put everything into physical gold/silver" but instead, to diversify among asset classes" >>

>>

The guy who suggested to go long PM's in 2011....well.....don't quit your day job. >>

I wouldn't really call 3 years "long". Just my look on it.
    What about the people who said "go long in the SM" in 2005/2006 when the economy was cranking, everybody was spending money, the housing market was booming, etc? Do you think the crash in 2008/2009 was good for those "longers" just 3 short years after?
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    1998 to 2011 - I must have been brilliant. Except that I didn't sell it all in 2011.

2011 to 2014 - I must have been dumb. Except that I kept buying.

2015 - I haven't quit my day job, and I'm still rescuing dollars.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "derry...don't know about your c/b..it needs to be cremated. Hope no one took your advise.

<< Friday November 04, 2011 11:41 AM "now is a good time to convert stocks to PM's. If the stocks are not PM mining stocks you should also consider converting to the miners. If the stocks are mining stocks, hold them. ETF GDXJ is a good paper play on the junior miners."

Sadly, this is one of the worst prognostications/calls/predictions/recommendations ever made on these boards!

Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    It could be a hell of a lot better if it's said right about now image

I still do not think it is time to go "all in" in any one asset class, but I've been selling stocks and buying gold to rebalance and will be doing more of it after the new year.

• Options

<< <i>"derry...don't know about your c/b..it needs to be cremated. Hope no one took your advise.
    << Friday November 04, 2011 11:41 AM "now is a good time to convert stocks to PM's. If the stocks are not PM mining stocks you should also consider converting to the miners. If the stocks are mining stocks, hold them. ETF GDXJ is a good paper play on the junior miners."
    Sadly, this is one of the worst prognostications/calls/predictions/recommendations ever made on these boards!image >>

Not the worst. I have made worse. image

• Options
    Derry, gdxj was about $120 in Nov 2011, not 26.