Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My TRUE Halloween Hellhound Horror Story (yes, there's a numismatic tie-in.) *Scroll down for 2014

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
Meet Max, who is seven years old. (Seen here chained up in the backyard a year or two ago.)

Note the doggie dighole craters. Yep, Max is a digger, just like me. But he usually doesn't find coins, like I do.

Then again, there's always a first time.

Meet L. Plautius Plancus, who is 2,058 years old. (Seen here sporting a new $35+ plastic slab, fresh from NGC.)

Max used to stay chained in the backyard, as you see in the photo above.

Why? Well, because he's a bullet-headed destruction machine made of solid muscle, with a walnut-sized brain, that's why.

He hasn't got a vicious bone in his body- in fact, he's a rather affable fella- but we learned long ago that this is NOT an inside dog. He eventually snapped the steel cable we had him attached to, so he's had the run of the yard ever since. (We've got a whole acre fenced in, fortunately, because the pony has also broken her bonds and is now a free-range yard pet, too.)

Anyway, I traded away L. Plautius Plancus yesterday, to Marlene ("Mar327") here on the forums. It was to be a "downpayment" of sorts, toward a slabbed Bust quarter of hers.

So when I got home from work, I packaged up the coin in a bubble mailer, along with some freebie fossils for a young family member of hers, and set it on the desk to go out in the mail today.

I then went to bed quite late, around 2:30 or 3:00 AM.

At some point while I slept, a horrid creature of the night pried open the not-fully latched front door with its foul snout, trod into the living room, went over to the desk, snatched up the bubble mailer in its terrible jaws, and carried it outside into the predawn gloom.

My daughter got up to catch the schoolbus this morning and found a shredded bubble mailer in the front yard.

It had muddy footprints on it.

There were also some fossils scattered around, oddly enough. Hmm. How mystifying.

And Lo and Behold, there lay L. Plautius Plancus.

He's survived the last 2,058 years with only a bit of wear and an ancient banker's mark, and he's still OK ...

... but his new plastic slab didn't fare so well in the jaws of the evil nightbeast. image

Uh-oh! Now I've got some 'splainin' to do! image

So... what d'you reckon the horrid monster was? A sugar-crazed trick-or-treater with pruning shears?

Nah, they'd all gone to bed.

Edward Scissorhands, perhaps?

Nah, Johnny Depp has moved on to other cinematic roles.

Rabid, genetically-modified squirrels raised on irradiated candy corn, escaped from an experimental lab?

Nah, no mad scientist labs around here, probably. And Max and the other dogs and cats would've taken out even those kinda squirrels.

Hey- I know- was it was a werewolf, maybe?

Hm. Well, it had been Halloween night. But this actually happened in the wee hours of November First. And it's not a full moon.

OK, I'm stumped, here. Help me put the pieces together, based on the available evidence.

I think I have a suspect in mind. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    lol! Shouldn't be funny, I guess. I know how you feel though. We're dog lovers, too, so I have seen similar.
  • Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great great story, LordM..... bravo!
  • Options
    Well, at least I got a story out of it. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordM, Probably fortunate you are not digging thru poo today in search of your coin!image
  • Options
    epcjimi1epcjimi1 Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

• Options
    Okay Rob, I'm laughing! Maybe it was the scent of the shark teeth? Max was in the mood for sushi!! I have a friend with a dog named Max, and I kept him for a week last year when they were away - all 150 pounds of him... sure am glad he didn't find my stash of coins!
    Have bought and sold on BST, many references available when asked.
  • Options

<< <i>LordM, Probably fortunate you are not digging thru poo today in search of your coin!image >>

• Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>LordM, Probably fortunate you are not digging thru poo today in search of your coin!image >>

image >>

The fossils rare still missing, aren't theyimage-------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    That is great! You gotta love our four legged, foul snouted, frightening friends! Your dog and my pooch would get along perfectly! image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know why, but Rob you do resemble Tom Hanks in a weird sorta way. You sure Max don't answer to Fletch?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my dog ate it...

LOL.
  • Options

<< <i>That is great! You gotta love our four legged, foul snouted, frightening friends! Your dog and my pooch would get along perfectly! image >>

I suppose they'd really "dig" each other, eh? image
  • Options
    No, the shark teeth survived. As did my wooden dollar that was also in the package.

The only casualties were the mailer and the expensive NGC plastic.

PCGS, take note: my dog prefers NGC, it would seem. Your marketing wonks need to work on the aroma and taste of PCGS plastic, if you want a bigger share of the canine market. May I suggest a nice bacon flavor, perhaps?

Funny, a guy at work saw me grimacing at the flavor of a deposit envelope I was licking to seal tonight, and said that they actually make envelopes with bacon flavored adhesive. Only in America. That's what makes this country great, I say. But we couldn't have them in this household. Seven cats plus three dogs plus a box of bacon-scented envelopes would equal... well, you do the math. Mayhem, that's what it would equal.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any hound story is a good story . .

Glad you have a sense of humor and glad Max has an understanding Dad . . .

Drunner
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good stuff. Glad I opened the thread.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>my dog ate it...

LOL. >>

LOL!!image

I have to say that is the best "My dog ate it" excuse that I have ever heard! I am sure that you can have it encased for a reasonable charge. Right? -Dan
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    great post image
  • Options
    Well, "my dog ate it" stories are usually not barked up..uh..backed up with photo evidence like LM's!

Eric
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    Ahhhh I hate to say this but you know what you need to do now right? You know what they say, "Once a dog gets the taste of plastic in his mouth... he must be put down" Once they have the taste of plastic, all they want is plastic....

image Sorry.
  • Options
    You're right. I think I could slip him a cyanide-laced sample slab about now. image

Nah, I guess not.

He was waiting at the gate for me when I came home tonight.

I wanted to kick his teeth in, but ended up patting him on the head, instead. If I had kicked him, I probably would've broken some toes on that thick skull, anyway.

I just patted him on the head and cussed him out in a gentle, crooning voice.

• Options
    It is great to hear a new Lord Marcovan story! Too bad a nice holder was sacrificed though...
  • Options
    Perhaps he was just trying to get into the crackout game?

Eric image
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    To funny LordM image Well not like hahaha funny but funny.
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Mad Max Thunder Dome

One dog enter with bubble mailer, one dog leave.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I like cats. They don't eat slabs. They sleep peacefully in bed with me and make little poos. image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool story, LordM!

When you talk about a culprit .... This video comes in mind!
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story, Lord M. When you think about all of the things that coin must have survived to get where it is today, it is only fitting that a "hellhound" couldn't destroy it. HM
  • Options
    Yeah, even the Gothic invasions of the Fifth century didn't faze ol' L. Plautius Plancus like the recent Halloween experience. Maybe it's a good thing he had the plastic suit of armor, huh.

Of course, we shouldn't jump to any fast conclusions, here. There's no shortage of other suspects. Here are just a few of them.

Bailey.

Bailey was spotted near the scene of the crime, just before I went to bed on the night in question.

But Bailey is eleven years old, arthritic, and too short to reach up onto the desk and snatch a bubble mailer (unless he jumped, which he doesn't do so well anymore). And he's now just about completely blind from cataracts. His eyes, which were clear in this older picture, have now gone milky white. It gives him a spooky, zombie-dog appearance, but I think we can probably dismiss Bailey as a suspect. He would've bumped into the wall on his way out the door.

Dixie.

Dixie's a good-sized dog, and she can bodyslam even the mighty Max when he gets too rambunctious. Her teeth could easily have caused that damage to the slab.

But look at the picture above, and tell me if you think this looks like an animal who would've expended the necessary energy to open the front door from the inside, snatch the bubble mailer, carry it outside, tear it open, trample it, and then chew the slab while scattering the rest of the stuff across the lawn.

Yeah. That's what I thought you'd say. I agree. Dixie looks too lazy to be a good suspect. She's not off the hook completely, but I think we can look elsewhere.

Maisy.

Maisy likes coins, as proven by the snapshot below. Those were some Buffalo nickels she had "collected". She liked to sleep on top of the open album.

But Maisy has a pretty tight alibi. At the time of the crime, she was asleep in the bed with me, rolled up in a tight, furry ball under my arm. I think we can dismiss Maisy.

Oreo and Doublestuf (aka "Rosie").

These sisters dress like cat burglars. Note their black masks. And both were seen tiptoeing around on the roof above the front door, just prior to the crime.

But the sisters actually prefer to remain outdoors. (This kitten picture of them was a rare indoor shot.) Nowadays they don't even come inside when the door is held open for them, let alone force it open and snatch a bubble mailer. And they've never shown an inclination to collect coins.

Oscar.

In Oscar, we might have a pretty good suspect. He too liked coins, as indicated in his baby picture, here. He liked slabs, too.

And he grew from an undernourished runt into the biggest tomcat in the neighborhood.

Not only that, he was also a proven thief. Here we have photographic evidence of him stealing one of Bailey's bones, and then a second one.

Yes, we could consider Oscar a prime suspect, but for one reason. Oscar might have the best alibi of all.

You see, he's dead.

Oscar met a tragic end last summer when he jumped the neighbor's fence and encountered their Siberian husky. He didn't jump back fast enough. image

Oscar's spirit went on to The Great Litterbox In The Sky, and we buried his poor, broken body under the gardenia bush in the front yard.

Oh. Wait a second... in the front yard. The very scene of the crime! Oscar's grave is in the same yard where the evidence was found! image

And it was Halloween night, when dead things rise and walk the earth again. *Gasp* ... could it be?

Maybe! Then again, maybe not. Oscar preferred sandwich meat to slabs. His other favorite delicacy was live lizards. I doubt he ever acquired a taste for plastic.

Will we ever solve this case?

(Not while I can milk it for all it's worth, haha. We could end up with an old-style whodunit radio serial, here.) image

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭

I guess he thought you were packaging up and sending off his chew toys. He had other plans.........

Maybe he DOESN'T like NGC better, but is programmed to destroy all NGC slabs!!!!!!!!!!!

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Great story LordM..... nice group of pets too.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got one like that as well (the dog). His name is Louie, as in Chewy Louie. And he's also a digger. Lucky for him the kids adore him.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read the headline, to early to read the body of text , but scrolled down to see the photos ..........

LMAO
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    imageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I saw the pictures before reading, I thought the slab said "barkers mark" instead of "bankers mark". Thought you had gotten some special designation. Maybe now you can. Get NGC to put the slab into a larger slab with "barkers mark". It could be a whole new business line for them.

This story also shows why all ancient coins should be slabbed. Something no ancient collectors would ever disagree with. image
    (Seems there were pages of letters to the editor in the 1990's when first proposed.)

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you've got me laughing pretty good this morning......Thanks, I needed that....
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

<< <i>"barkers mark" >>

• Options
    Lord M-you are just too much. Reading this and laughing myself silly. What a great imagination. Do you have writing history in your back ground? Keep up the great lite moments. Thanks for making my day.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    holey dog piles, thats a horror show indeed!

<< <i>... you do resemble Tom Hanks in a weird sorta way. You sure Max don't answer to Fletch? >>

Hootch. image

<< <i> May I suggest a nice bacon flavor, perhaps? >>

next time wash your hands before packing them image

i wondered why my boxer was so interested in your envelopes.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options

<< <i>image >>

Max doesn't need that guy.

He needs THIS guy.

(Had to replace that second pic when this thread got resurrected, 'cause it had gone red-x. Don't remember what it was, except was funny at the time. Funnier than the replacement.)

• Options
    ClosedLoopClosedLoop Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭
    I have tears in my eyes....image

I can totally relate...thanks
    figglehorn
  • Options
    The hellhound got out the gate the day before yesterday (nearly knocking my daughter down in the process), and ran down the road to the highway, where he was nearly hit by first a log truck and then a county police cruiser (the cop had to do a quick blurt on the siren to get the stupid animal outta the way.)

THEN he went after the neighbor's chicken. Lucky for the chicken, it was in a wire mesh pen, which Max was doing his level best to bash through, like a canine battering ram. He was so preoccupied with the chicken that I was able to snatch him up by the collar (grabbing a good bit of ear in the process), and so I towed him home by the ear and collar. I'd never have caught him otherwise. When he runs, there's no catchin' him- you'd need one of those rocket nets they use to catch flocks of birds, or tranquilizer darts, or a lasso. I just let him run until he tires himself out.

Last night, he snouted open the front door again, but this time, I was sitting at the desk. I stood up and kicked him in the side. (Not too hard.)

Bad idea- I was barefooted and nearly broke my toes on his bulletproof hide. He got the message, at least.

Stupid cur. image

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? No photo of the likeliest suspect..your butler???
    You DO have a butler don't you m'Lord?
  • Options

<< <i>You DO have a butler don't you m'Lord? >>

No, but I briefly trained to BE a butler, back in 2001.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Great story. I wonder if Max knows who broke into the house and stole the bubble mailer? Sleeping on his watch, eh?

I guess I'm lucky to have a Pillow Troll (Boston Terrier) instead of a ranch hound. The only thing that goes missing around my place is croutons.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit late to suggest a muzzle, huh ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file