Home U.S. Coin Forum

1938 MS68 Pop 1/0 Walking Liberty Half Dollar At Heritage Next Week

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
1938 MS68 Pop 1/0 Walking Liberty Half Dollar At Heritage Next Week

Gash on the FACE and the left leg of Liberty went though a grinder.... I know I know, I'm not looking at it in hand. It must have been the disco ball lighting that was used to photograph the coin. I just don't know how to read photographs. It's probably absolutely stunning in hand.

What say you?
"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• edit: nevermind

• If the coin was CAC it would be at $10,000.00 easy. It is cheap right now.

• << <i>If the coin was CAC it would be at $10,000.00 easy. It is cheap right now. >>

CAC is totally irrelevant on this piece. The only thing about this coin that matters is the cert #
  • tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    I would not be surprised if this sells for more than $10k. In fact, I'm pretty much expecting it to.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

<< <i>I would not be surprised if this sells for more than $10k. In fact, I'm pretty much expecting it to. >>

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Slightly nicer than my 65, which was a lot cheaper......and left me plenty to spend on coins like a 17S Obv in AU58, etc....but again I don't have top tier set, either.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Even looking at the small images that has obvious problems for a 68, and there is probably a reason it doesn't have a CAC sticker. But if you play the registry game it doesn't matter I suppose.
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dipped. Pleasant color. Tick on the face and too many hits on the skirt lines for my taste. Wait until another 38 P gets into an MS 68 holder. Whomever bought this coin will be underwater on it in a big way. And it will happen. These coins were saved by the roll.

As a practical matter, unless you're looking at a modern, as far as I'm concerned, if a coin is in an MS 68 holder, it's probably overgraded.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the image, looks like a nice 67. I would be interested to see what JBN thinks. Because it is not part of the short set, it shouldn't be in the vicinity of the 44. The one 68+ Walker that PCGS graded went for what, about 15K last year or early this year?

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭
    This coin is baggy all the way down the front, couple of gashes to the face. Over graded!
    Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Too many dings/scratches on the gown, IMO, to be a 68.
    To me, this one looks a lot cleaner. 67+:

67+
  • Nice coin, Egyptian granite coffin, IMO. My "BIG" issue with Walkers in high grade is the complete lack of recognition of the planchet flaws. It is like the do not exist. You take that strike, equal planchet flaws and apply that to a 196X Ken half, and you have an MS64, same thing with a Franklin, flat out, no Ken half would ever make 68 with a single planchet flaw much less 80+ on the high parts of the design. Even a jefferson nickel from the same period would never go over 4 with that much planchet damage, I don't care how much luster it has. An MS68 should be near flawless, and that "includes" plancet flaws. But what do I know. There are a trillion Ikes with planchet flaws and super duper luster and zero post mint damage in 64 holders.

Take any 40's Lincoln and put an equivalent number and size (proportionally reduced) of planchet flaws on the lapel of Lincolns bust and just see if you can get a 65. Not the center of the coin, the bottom 6 O'clock position. Same with Jefferson's and god forbid a merc or Roosie had even a single planchet flaw, 64 on a great day.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too many dings/scratches on the gown, IMO, to be a 68.
    To me, this one looks a lot cleaner. 67+:

67+ >>

that ms67+ blows this (68?) out of the water like a torpedo
    GEN's comment about all that matters is the cert # on this one could not have hit the target any more dead-center
    nothing new though

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Yuck. Seen better ones. Pcgs messed up on the grade...
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • 65 at best. Someone will be buried in that coin. Absurd "grade" .
  • breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please don't shoot the messenger here but the planchet flaws on the skirt are probably not factored into the grade (certainly the mark on the face should be accounted for in the grade). Clackamas has a good argument, in my opinion, and you can choose to avoid coins with such planchet flaws but it is important to distinguish between what is and is not a post-mint mark. As a point of comparison, if you collect Buffalos, think of die erosion -- something I try to avoid whenever possible but recognize that graders will typically not penalize a coin for it.

Walkerguy21D -- I have you beat as my 38 is a MS64 that I think is quite nice for the grade. I intend to replace it eventually but it won't be with this coin.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>From the image, looks like a nice 67. I would be interested to see what JBN thinks. Because it is not part of the short set, it shouldn't be in the vicinity of the 44. The one 68+ Walker that PCGS graded went for what, about 15K last year or early this year? >>

I had posted a thread asking whether this coin will make $100K, like the 44P in 68 (pop 1) did in the bidding war between Forsythe and LuLu's set owner (he has since disassociated his name with the set so I won't state it here in respect to his choice, though I'd suspect many veteran posters here know who he is).

I don't think this 38 is a strong 68. As stated earlier by another poster, there is (IMHO) a reason no sticker is present.

My 67 is nicer (again IMHO) and I'm not going to purchase the two registry set points.

I'm tracking the coin and won't try to predict the sale price. I will state that I'm not pursuing it. If a dealer or two go after it, or Forsythe decides to pad his lead, or new entrant 'Blueberry' (who debuted at #5 in the late date set list) may go after it. If all these players vie for it, then we may see five figures.

Further, there is a (IMHO) not-so-great quality 34-D in 67 up on the block. No CAC sticker present. I'm passing on that one, although it is a pop 3, none finer, and would represent 4 registry points. Again, my 66 is better to my eye. Also, there is a 45-D in 67+, pop 1, none finer with CAC. Chance to have finest known and a whopping half point on the registry. But you would have the '1' in Pop column and '0' in Pop Higher column on your list. It is in the low 2 thousands; I'm tracking that one, too. My 45 is pure white, and from the liquidation of poster 'Bear' set. I really like it. So, I'm not bidding on this 45 in 67+. I'd expect to see LuLu snap it up for his regal set, to restore his set to all zeros (except the 41-D) in pop higher column, or Forsythe to go for it. For these two whales, the price is chump change, but if both whales go after it like the 44 in 68, the price could rise significantly. In my mind, I don't think it will happen, as there are other 45 67+ half dollars that will appear on the scene in the coming years, and others know this, too. I predict less than 4K for the 45 in 67+. Will be fun to watch.

Finally, I will state that it is noteworthy from a date-set perspective that, with this 38, a set that goes from 1934 to 1944 inclusive can be done in 68. 1916 to 1919 can be done in 67, and a single 23-S from GBW is a 67. Would make one heckuva date set. Get to work, Forsythe!image

Take care, breakdown. I still kick myself that I didn't find the dinero back in '07 for that Schultz/GBW 19-S that graces your fabulous set. You have excellent taste.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file