Home Precious Metals
Options

Question answered, deal done- PICS of both purchases

In a small Texas town with some friends and saw an antique shop that has a JM, struck 10 oz bar for $350 plus tax, which brings it to $389, or $38.0 per ounce, is that a decent buy, average or should I pass and save my money. They close in 2 hours so I have to move quick, what say you? Thanks-TN

Comments

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    That is about what it should be. They usually sell for $3-$5 per ounce over spot. Do they give a 10% discount? -Dan
  • Options
    One sold on ebay for $385 the other day. Is it still in the original packaging? If not I would pass unless you wanted to hold until you can make a profit. -Dan
  • Options
    The tax is the killer. You could probably get one here for less, but not much.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    average deal, IMO
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like the premium is a tad too high, but that's just me.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Not a bad price tax included. Not great though.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the sales tax is kind of a killer on that ... but not a bad deal overall

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    I ended up going back and the owner was there, I mentioned that I didn't want to pay the sales tax and he asked if I wanted a thousand dollars worth and avoid the tax, I said what do you have and he showed me 3 more jm bars and he said take all 4 for 1250, no tax. I asked if he wanted cash or check! image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ended up going back and the owner was there, I mentioned that I didn't want to pay the sales tax and he asked if I wanted a thousand dollars worth and avoid the tax, I said what do you have and he showed me 3 more jm bars and he said take all 4 for 1250, no tax. I asked if he wanted cash or check! image >>

Good deal.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    hammered54hammered54 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭
    Successful Transactions.
    Barrytrot(2),Stupid,Savoyspecial,docq,ecoinquest, halfhunter,snman,Coll3ctor.
    wondercoin. Blue594. internetjunky.
    keepdachange. Scrapman1077.Ahrensdad, mrmom, mygrandeoso, blu62vette, Clackamas,giorgio11, adriana, cucamongacoin,
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I ended up going back and the owner was there, I mentioned that I didn't want to pay the sales tax and he asked if I wanted a thousand dollars worth and avoid the tax, I said what do you have and he showed me 3 more jm bars and he said take all 4 for 1250, no tax. I asked if he wanted cash or check! image >>

• Options
    I need to go to the atm tomorrow and go back, there are many sellers at the antique mall and another seller had 10 generic rounds for 30 bucks each but wouldn't take a check (I don't blame him, he doesn't know me and I am from out of town). Funny thing is they all wanted 30-35x for 90 percent??
  • Options

Good deal.image
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sweet deal ... if I did the math that works out to 312.5 each ... about $4. per oz UNDER

WTG image

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Sweet deal!

<< <i>Funny thing is they all wanted 30-35x for 90 percent?? >>

Most common reason "well it's gotta be worth lots, it's OLD!"
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    I agree, but are they in the original packaging? If so, you should be able to command a premium!image
  • Options
    Yes they are in the original packaging though I never has found anyone who cares between pr-70 and pr-69??
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Money talks, talkin' about money walks. Nice job!
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes they are in the original packaging though I never has found anyone who cares between pr-70 and pr-69?? >>

It's more important that the bars are in good shape. In many cases the original packaging is PVC and it's yellowed and brittle and cracking so I wouldn't be too concerned about the packaging.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Pics?
    "When someone tells you nothing is impossible, ask them to dribble a football"

MANY positive BST Transactions
  • Options

Sweet pickup
    You went from $38 per ounce to $31.25!!!
    Thats Underspot
    Get more while you can
  • Options
    Those are the only 4 he had and I was at a bed and breakfast with my wife and friends. I got all 4 and his number as he had 10 plus generic rounds well under spot. I told him spot was $35 plus and he said no one cares in the little town I was in ( West Texas Hill Country) and he said he paid less than $100 per bar (didn't say when) so I got his number and we can do it by mail. Works for me.
  • Options
    I went to the gunshow this morning and picked up and Armalite AR-10 carbine and slapped one of my ACOG 4x32's on it. I cut the bars out of the plastic as I am paranoid now that the plastic (which was brittle and turning yellow- PVC???) and put them in little non-pvc bags. Not a bad weekend although a little P.O.ed my SR-25 (Kinght Armament) waffle magazines don't fit in the Armalite??

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great deal TN... and the AR-10 looks nice too.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I went to the gunshow this morning and picked up and Armalite AR-10 carbine and slapped one of my ACOG 4x32's on it. I cut the bars out of the plastic as I am paranoid now that the plastic (which was brittle and turning yellow- PVC???) and put them in little non-pvc bags. Not a bad weekend although a little P.O.ed my SR-25 (Kinght Armament) waffle magazines don't fit in the Armalite??

image >>

I used one of those bad boys in Iraq, was there for a year in Iraq under blackwater now Xe. Great experience and that rifle saved my life in the doura neighborhood of baghdad over 6 years ago...
    Sweet pickup your on a roll.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a nice discount for your willingness to up your purchase and the owner's willingness to ignore the tax on the deal - winners on both sides.image

Excuse my ignorance, but what calibre is your new AR-10?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Excuse my ignorance, but what calibre is your new AR-10? >>

Nice quadrail TN.