Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Oh God! Firefox 7.0.1?

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had problems with this update? The last recent update from Firefox 7.0 disabled the Java console and my computer now slowly hangs at times. This new update was automatically downloaded onto my computer and awaits a reboot.
Any suggestions or recommendations? What will happen if I re-enable the Java Console? I truly believe I need Java!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
    Major problems for me with that update.
    I am now using Chrome
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firefox is rapidly becoming a POS. Sometimes it just goes away while I'm online. Then when I start it back up again it says "sorry".

It's SORRY alright.

I've heard of chrome. Is it on the internet for free download or does it cost?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit using Firefox- dunno what version it was- about a year ago.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Firefox is rapidly becoming a POS. Sometimes it just goes away while I'm online. Then when I start it back up again it says "sorry".

It's SORRY alright.

I've heard of chrome. Is it on the internet for free download or does it cost? >>

It is Google's browser and it is free.
  • Options

<< <i>Major problems for me with that update.
    I am now using Chrome >>

I use Firefox 3.6.23 and have no problems. It is my default browser.
    Later versions of Firefox have serious bugs in them, especially when dealing with pages written with Java.
    Chrome is pretty good but also has problems rendering pages written in Java.
    I never use Internet Explorer anymore.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use google also. Its faster, much more stable and has the same extensions as FF has.
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Opera!
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    good to know. Though no problems on my PC or Mac. I will not use it anymore.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep getting prompted to down load FF 7.0.1. but haven't done so since it will not support photobucket.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use FF 3.62, Google Chrome and Safari with no issues. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've stopped allowing updates for my browser

also my video card

in fact i haven't allowed a windows update in a while

everything is running smooth, and i intend to keep it that way, NO updates for me please

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    java was disabled in firefox to mitigate an SSL (thats the little padlock you see when you are a a "secure site") problem.

what do you actually use java for anyway? i don't install at all anymore and have not for years.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It crashes constantly on my computer. Reading about coin-related material has been difficult lately.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>3.6.22

i've stopped allowing updates for my browser

also my video card

in fact i haven't allowed a windows update in a while

everything is running smooth, and i intend to keep it that way, NO updates for me please
    . >>

Is there a way to undo all of the FF updates without totally removing it and starting over?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Major problems for me with that update.
    I am now using Chrome >>

I use Firefox 3.6.23 and have no problems. It is my default browser.
    Later versions of Firefox have serious bugs in them, especially when dealing with pages written with Java.
    Chrome is pretty good but also has problems rendering pages written in Java.
    I never use Internet Explorer anymore. >>

Yup, I downgraded back to 3.6 when 4.0 started causing problems. 3.6 works great.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I use google also. Its faster, much more stable and has the same extensions as FF has. >>

But......can Google be trusted to NOT collect information on you for targeted advertising?
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    i use Opera also and Firefox on Linux.
    No problems with it here.
    I dont jump at every update....if its working good....dont fix it lol
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use an abacus and an etch-a-scetch, no problems. Even works when the power fails.
  • Options
    Older versions of FF were great, the latest one has been a disaster.
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I use google also. Its faster, much more stable and has the same extensions as FF has. >>

But......can Google be trusted to NOT collect information on you for targeted advertising? >>

Ads are blocked so...;p

If you use facebook there is even more info collected :/
  • Options

<< <i>I use an abacus and an etch-a-scetch, no problems. Even works when the power fails. >>

Counting on my fingers and toes and scratching images on my cave walls also works well when the power fails image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Google Chrome is (IMO) far superior to the other browsers available. Faster, more dependable and versatile. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Yesterday, I kind of freaked out when there was a loud noise outside and I saw a puff of smoke over the neighbors garage 2 houses down. And my power momentarily went out. My honey was already picking up stuff that had blown over with the winds gusting at 45 mph. I thought maybe a tree branch had fallen on a pole line and the wife was outside. So I called her in and went for a hasty walk and found nothing out of the ordinary. Getting back, I couldn't connect with Mediacom for a couple of hours. They're already in dispute with LIN Media rates which allows Mediacom to carry there TV stations which, by the way, I can pick up with my roof antenna, but still being charged for cable to get the 12 bps of internet for 19.95.........
    So now I'll look for that FF download to delete and somehow disable any more auto updates. Of course, since I'm not a computer geek, this will like take up the rest of my afternoon.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Google Chrome is (IMO) far superior to the other browsers available. Faster, more dependable and versatile. Cheers, RickO >>

how about bookmarks and add-ons for chrome?

the amount of open-source add-ons for FF is phenomenal

if chrome can at least match those 2 things, i'd consider making the switch

i have chrome installed but never used it, same reason i don't use IE anymore, the bookmark addiction with FF supersedes all other functions for my interests

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    drei3reedrei3ree Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Google Chrome is (IMO) far superior to the other browsers available. Faster, more dependable and versatile. Cheers, RickO >>

My Chrome won't allow a search on these boards. Anyone else have that problem here?
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool...looks like we have a COMPUTER FORUM....or is this the "INTERNET BROWSER FORUM" I seem to have stumbled upon?

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I'm still using 3.6.13, but I also use Chrome and IE. It's necessary to have all three of them available.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll stick with FF 3.6.23 for now. The add-ons available make it very effective... And it does help to run your Clean Disk utility about once every 2-3 months.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm still using 3.6.13, but I also use Chrome and IE. It's necessary to have all three of them available.

Russ, NCNE >>

Why do you need all three?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I'm still using 3.6.13, but I also use Chrome and IE. It's necessary to have all three of them available.

Russ, NCNE >>

Why do you need all three? >>

I do web site development and maintenance.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    image Ok......it looks like I'm going to run the newest version of FF for now. I have disabled future update in options. And now I need to see if I can survive running without the Java Console. I can't enable it for now since FF messed with it. And I'm aware I could delete all files related to FF.

And this topic is coin related since we need computers post.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    Just use Opera and hold the newest version of IE for websites that do not work
    on that rare occasion. But there is no reason why you cannot have FF and Chrome
    also installed and run them when you need them.
  • Options

<< <i>Just use Opera and hold the newest version of IE for websites that do not work
    on that rare occasion. But there is no reason why you cannot have FF and Chrome
    also installed and run them when you need them. >>

Good idea! Although every time I switch browsers, one or the other is asking to be the default browser. Can't imagine the tantrums I'd get with 4-5 browsers. image

• Options
    how does one check what version is running , and can an older version be downloaded?
    Home of quality widgets
  • Options

<< <i>how does one check what version is running , and can an older version be downloaded? >>

Click on "help" at the top of your browser. Than click on "about" works for me.

• Options

<< <i>how does one check what version is running , and can an older version be downloaded? >>

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all-older.html

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭
    Running 7.0.1 here with no problems seen.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Running 7.0.1 here with no problems seen. >>

Same here, it loaded and seems about the same.
    The only hiccup I've see so far is a few times when I closed a tab it closed the browser.

I probably should stop the updates, they never seem to do anything good and risk adding new bugs.

Ed
  • Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    I look at raw source and use my imagination.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck happened to Firefox?

How could a system that was so good turn so bad after the 3.0xxx version?

Did they lose their way???

This reminds me of Word Perfect which was the best program in its class until it got over-improved and then they ruined it.

Same thing seems to be happening to quickbooks now.

Any thoughts?
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am happy with Chrome and it's bookmark feature... does all I need. Yes, I have the others, but only use them for special circumstances. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>What the heck happened to Firefox?

How could a system that was so good turn so bad after the 3.0xxx version?

Did they lose their way???

This reminds me of Word Perfect which was the best program in its class until it got over-improved and then they ruined it.

Same thing seems to be happening to quickbooks now.

Any thoughts? >>

Most computers programmers never know when to leave well enough alone despite the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    They become detached from the end-users and make "improvements" they think are sophisticated and helpful, when in reality they just confuse users.
    This recently happened on Facebook and the "improvements" there caused quite an uproar.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a firefox user for several years, I hate IE. But with this latest update I am finding myself on the verge of converting over to Chrome. There are functions I like a lot more in Chrome - mainly that it is not busy with icons etc.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    My rule of updating is if it ain't broke, don't fix it (or update it) unless there's a good reason, such as a security flaw.
    FF 3.6.23 and WinXP here.
  • Options
    And now, for something totally different............

a beautiful coin! image

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just got Chromed.
  • Options
    Fire what? Internet Explorer for me.
  • Options

<< <i>My rule of updating is if it ain't broke, don't fix it (or update it) unless there's a good reason, such as a security flaw.
    FF 3.6.23 and WinXP here. >>

That's also my rule. I'm still using Quickbooks '99 and Office '97. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>That's also my rule. I'm still using Quickbooks '99 and Office '97. image

Russ, NCNE >>

I started using Quicken (for DOS) in '93. I'd probably still be using it if they didn't make me update it every 3 years to keep using electroinic billpay and reconciliation. image
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    My laptop has been locking up frequently. I just checked and it is still on version 6.0.2 but I uninstalled firefox anyway. I think I'll uninstall it on this computer too before I take all the files off it and set it up for my 11 yr old son.

I just bought a new superfast I7 quadcore PC that I'm planning to install tonight to speed up processing pictures and making ebay auctions. It has windows 7. IE seems to be copying all the features that used to make other browsers superior so I'm thinking I'll try to stick with IE at first and avoid conflicts.

--Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file