Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How bad does a fingerprint need to be?

lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
I recently sent this 1915-D Lincoln 65RD to PCGS for a spot review. I heard back, "I ran this through the grading room twice and it 65’d both times." PCGS said the obverse is a 65+ or 66, and the reverse looks better than the photo. Net, 65RD.

Below is the cent.

Another example I did not submit because I really just love it is the 1916 Lincoln, also below. Again, a print, but not a disturbing one (to me).

My question is, just what penalty does a fingerprint impose? Some are worse than others, obviously. But isn't this '15 unforgivable? I want to believe it was slabbed before the print evolved. Still, it's not market-acceptable to my mind and I am shocked PCGS found it okay for a 65RD.

What do you say? I hope I don't get banned for bringing this up. PCGS has been great with me about spot reviews. I'm just a little perplexed.
Lance.

imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    The prints don't kill them but maybe they should be RB or even 64RB. If I tried to sell them as 65RD I'd feel the need to mention the print and expect to settle for less than a cleaner 65RD so with that in mind I think they aren't 65RD.

Ed
  • Options
    veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭
    When it comes to any kind of "blemish" on a coin and its negative impact, my answer is always, "it depends."
    The fingerprint visible in your example results in a minor toning pattern and even less so for the 1916. I like both of them, but, of course, I'd prefer that the fingerprints were not there. Apparently, the grading services do not consider them a major negative with regard to eye-appeal, considering the abundant certified examples of MS 65 and higher examples with obvious fingerprints. If I were to grade the 1915-D, I might give it an MS-64 +, but I don't have the coin in front of me, so it's an educated guess on my part. At the MS-65 grade level, I do not like these distractions, but if the coins is superb in other ways, I might overlook them.

It is very common to see fingerprints on many original, uncleaned, undipped "classic" MS coins. There are those, however, who run from any fingerprinted coins, yet the joke is on them. Countless original coins are toned due to human hand to coin contact. There may not be an obvious print patterns, but they could be toned as a result of acidic oils from human handling, smudged across the surface.

The 1915-D is attractive and the assigned grade of MS-65 is not surprising to me.

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    Perhaps it doesn't really matter what the grading room says, as the market will recognize the offending prints and automatically deduct at least 1 grade point in money for the coin being sold? image
    All i know is... i HATE freakin' prints- it's the molestation of innocent coins by dim witted people with oily fingers....
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

OK Call me Goofy but I's Like The Fingerprints, the bigger the better. I agree
    with "veryfine" in that the touch to the coin can cause tone and that is my
    favorite thing for a coin to have. What if ya could match the prints left on a
    coin to some famous person, wouldn't that be cool?

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭

<< <i>OK Call me Goofy but I's Like The Fingerprints, the bigger the better. I agree
    with "veryfine" in that the touch to the coin can cause tone and that is my
    favorite thing for a coin to have. What if ya could match the prints left on a
    coin to some famous person, wouldn't that be cool?

image >>

On mpst silver coins such as this, the fingerprints have PREVENTED toning.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>An existing fingerprint=an original unmessed with coin since it hasn't been removed >>

Where does this info come from? And I see you mentioned the old...... The fingerprint attests to the originality. I definitely don't agree with this myth IMO.
    Not talking about this coin the OP showed. These statements sound like dealer hype to me. I've heard it many times before as they try and justify the distraction.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

<< <i> if it is still on the coin it means the coin wasn't cleaned in recent times and that I definitley appreciate. >>

OK, "recent" times, I can go along with. But to make a blanket statement that any fingerprint attests to the originality is a bit of a stretch. image
  • Options
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like fingerprints on coins. Very distracting, ugly. Like going to a restaurant and being seated at a dirty table - yuck. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I do not like fingerprints on coins. Very distracting, ugly. Like going to a restaurant and being seated at a dirty table - yuck. Cheers, RickO >>

Agree. Finger prints are ugly and show careless handling by a previous owner.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coinnutcoinnut Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I do not like fingerprints on coins. Very distracting, ugly. Like going to a restaurant and being seated at a dirty table - yuck. Cheers, RickO >>

Agree. Finger prints are ugly and show careless handling by a previous owner. >>

I agree with both statements. I won't buy a coin with a fingerprint.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason, fingerprints don't bother me much. I stay away from them generally though because they do bother lots and lots of folks. On the two coins above, I am surprised that the first isn't a RB and also the second, just because of the minor print.

Tom

• Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

...in time, the coin will morph into brown. it will cease being noticeable. image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options

<< <i>

To be serious, all coins have fingerprints on them, some you see because they weren't dipped and some you don't see because they were lucky and some you don't because they were unlucky and were dipped. >>

There is a lot of truth to this statement.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK Call me Goofy but I's Like The Fingerprints, the bigger the better.

Goofy!!!!
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen six figure coins with huge fingerprints. It appears that they do not detract from a coin's grade. Personally, if I see a coin has a fingerprint, I consider it to be "damaged goods," and avoid it.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

Prints don't bother me. They are part of the history of the coin. I liken them to the lines and scars on a person's face.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Except for a few exceptions, I avoid fingerprints. I also like to give my incoming coins an acetone bath for posterity.

For those of you who don't mind fingerprints, just remind me when I handle your coins.image
  • Options

An old accidental print is a little different from a new intentional one.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mind them if they're not distracting and if they don't consist of corrosion spots. The 15-D in the OP fails both of those tests for me.
  • Options

<< <i>An old accidental print is a little different from a new intentional one. >>

How can you differentiate an old accidental print from a new intentional print and who would purposely put a print on a coin?

• Options
    Bankerbob56Bankerbob56 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Agree. Finger prints are ugly and show careless handling by a previous owner. >>

I agree with both statements. I won't buy a coin with a fingerprint. >>

+100 image
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.....

Successful BST xactions w/PCcoins, Drunner, Manofcoins, Rampage, docg, Poppee, RobKool, and MichealDixon.
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    What about the print on this coin?

How badly would it affect the grade?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>An old accidental print is a little different from a new intentional one. >>

How can you differentiate an old accidental print from a new intentional print and who would purposely put a print on a coin? >>

The PCGS MS66 Bust Dollar known as the 'Boston Dollar' has a huge fingerprint in the right obverse field - right over the only marks on the coin. When I owned the coin, I often wondered if someone put that print there on purpose to cover up the chatter. I've seen many the coin where a little fresh fingerprint oil was placed in a strategic spot...
  • Options

<< <i>

How can you differentiate an old accidental print from a new intentional print and who would purposely put a print on a coin? >>

I only said that because, although fingerprints don't necessarily bother me, that doesn't mean I'd advocate careless handling.

~ Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a print can be cool from what ive seen but omg, can it be a freaking eyesore at times
  • Options

<< <i>What about the print on this coin?

How badly would it affect the grade? >>

As I see it, there is no negative effect on the grade.
    Great looking coin!
  • Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭

I am not a fan of the '15-D in the OP. It's one of those coins where the viewer picks it up and says "Wow, nice coin!", and then turns it over and says "Awww, if only it didn't have the fingerprint." and then puts it back down.

As for the '16, I find the spots on Lincoln's face to be more distracting than the print on the reverse.

• Options

<< <i>a print can be cool from what ive seen but omg, can it be a freaking eyesore at times >>

Agree and that pretty much sums it up nicely.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Passes both of my tests and does not affect grade.
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Passes both of my tests and does not affect grade. >>

Cool... what grade would you give this example?
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> Personally, if I see a coin has a fingerprint, I consider it to be "damaged goods," and avoid it. >>

image Fingerprints on coins = pass.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    Realone, I don't chase capped Bust halves anymore but, I recently seen the most original looking early date that was fairly priced. Great eye-appeal except it had an obvious print in the field. Yes, it was an old print but enough that I don't want it. Sometimes I can even see a couple print lines and that's a pass for me as well. And...... sometimes I will even know something might not be a print but it looks similar to one and I passimage.

They don't bother some folks like yourself and that's fine. But just know to some like me even if you think it's barely noticeable I see it first thing every time I look at the coin.
  • Options
    Those are damn nice Lincolns! Since the prints are on the reverse they matter much less. Surprised nobody mentioned this.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lance, I think the grade is consistent with others I have seen with a small patch of toning on an otherwise red coin. On the flip side, wouldn't you be upset if the '16 came back in a 65RB holder? Both coins are nice examples and correctly graded IMHO. Mel
    BTW, Receive anything in the mail?
  • Options
    I'm a little surprised that so many folks are hunky-dory with nasty fingerprint oil tatooed into coins... image
    I think we need a poll! I would like to see what the percentages would be with a large enough sample size. My thinking is that most coins are replaceable to some degree- so if there is a grimy fingerstain staring at you from a coin, then it could be a good idea to KEEP LOOKING! more fish in the proverbial sea! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lance, I think the grade is consistent with others I have seen with a small patch of toning on an otherwise red coin. On the flip side, wouldn't you be upset if the '16 came back in a 65RB holder? Both coins are nice examples and correctly graded IMHO. Mel
    BTW, Receive anything in the mail? >>

Right. I didn't submit the '16. I'm okay with that one. The '15-D print is very prominent and it bothers me. I was pretty sure PCGS would subtract a point for it but PCGS felt otherwise.

Thanks so much for the package, BTW! PM sent.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file