Home Precious Metals
Options

Gold Stupidity-Your Average American?

Is the average American this stupid?

Gold Stupidity

Comments

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    The reporter: "Gold isnt backed by anything...as compared to something like the US dollar."

Yes, the public is that stupid as are the MSM twits, obviously. They deserve what they get. "Please hold the line, sir. I have a call from Mr. Darwin."
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it is nice to see that Canadian news channels are giving middle school students the chance to do "man on the street" reports. Those would be fun in the US too...maybe even better than the typical US MSM effort.
  • Options
    BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, could you repeat the question?--------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Dollar is backed by the taxpayer and gold is backed by...well, demand.
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I doubt the average american knows the actual worth of one ounce of gold.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 50 ballistic rolls of US Gold Dollars and they are backed by the US Guvermint, so what is the problem?
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am reminded of that classic Aflac commercial with Yogi Berra, where he says "And they pay you with cash, which is just like money!"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    The news report is from Calgary, Canada. However, I don't think Americans are any smarter about gold than our cousins up north. CLUELESS.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    I remember I newscast about a reporter going up to people on the street and asking what do you think this one ounce gold coin costs? Most did not have a clue.
  • Options
    Price of Gold

Here is the link to "What does an ounce of gold costs?"
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Frank voted?
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Price of Gold

Here is the link to "What does an ounce of gold costs?" >>

This is the video I thought was going to be in the OP.

As for the OP video, I suppose it's *possible* (though unlikely) that the story just forgot to mention the lack of gold reserves in ETFs "gold" purchases. Still made me LOL though.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    Heres another good one from Dice.

Taco
  • Options
    Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭
    So I wonder if these two think diamonds are backed by anything? But I bet they think they are very valuable because they are backed by, uh, something???

Maybe they should go back in history and find out the US dollar use to be backed by gold. Now, it's backed by air.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted no.

It's hard to believe there are that many people out there that are as dumb as those comments are.

"the federal reserve will be around a year from now" (implying gold won't be??)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just realized that our rare coins aren't backed by anything either. image

Gold is backed by Central Banks that keep 31,000 tonnnes of it on hand as well as by the people of the world that have the other 134,000 tonnes socked away.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fiat currencies are backed by nothing but the willingness of someone else to accept them in return for a good or service. Those that believe the dollar is backed by the full faith and credit of the United States are idiots. We exchange dollars instead of doughnuts because US law says we will. The only thing the government is required to give you for a dollar is a dollar's worth of credit on what you owe the government in taxes. And of course the catch is that they also tell you how much you owe them in taxes. The less value a dollar has because of their dollar destruction policy and spending is irrelevent to them because they will just tell you that you have to give them more dollars in taxes.

The only value that can be assigned to anything in this world is what someone else is willing to give in return for it. This includes love and it includes gold.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only value that can be assigned to anything in this world is what someone else is willing to give you in return for it. This includes love and it includes gold. >>

This reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode about gold.

These 4 guys rob a train of gold bars.
    Their plan is hide in a cave where they go into suspended animation for 100 years and wake up rich.
    100 years pass and 3 wake up but the 4th guy died because a rock fell on him.
    They plan to go to a city but one greedy guy kills one of the others.
    The 2 remaining guys put bars in back packs and start walking towards a city.
    Along the way one guy trades the other guy his gold for water then when his gold is almost gone he bashes the other guy on the head with his last bar and walks on alone.
    As he's dying of thirst a car pulls up with a guy and a lady (looks like the Jetsons car because it's in the future).
    With his last breath he waves a gold bar and says I'll give it for water and he dies.

The guy and lady look puzzled and say "in the past people thought gold was like money but that was before man learned to make it". They toss the bar on the ground next to the dead guy and say "we'll need to tell the police about this crazy guys body"

Ed
  • Options
    I feel that the average American is clueless about almost anything that is going on in the world.image
  • Options
    Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭
    I think that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard on a news show.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    image She wasn't even blonde!image
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say there are those out there who would believe this report.... I would like to believe that the majority would not.. it truly is a stupid statement. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    The problem with misinformation is that it is self-perpetuating. There's alot to be desired with the education system in many places.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    I knew it would happen before you did image
  • Options
    Only because I told you it was going to happen!image
    USAF RET. 1963-1984

Successful BSTs with: Grote15, MadMarty, Segoja,cucamongacoin,metalsman.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I voted no.

It's hard to believe there are that many people out there that are as dumb as those comments are.

"the federal reserve will be around a year from now" (implying gold won't be??) >>

I ditto this!
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the average American this stupid?

Gold Stupidity >>

NO. However the average Columbia School of Journalism graduate just might be.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I remember I newscast about a reporter going up to people on the street and asking what do you think this one ounce gold coin costs? Most did not have a clue.

I will preface this by saying that you all know me by now, I always consider the other side.

Maybe they don't know the value of an oz of Gold because they live paycheck to paycheck and their biggest concerns involve keeping their job (if they are fortunate enough to have one), supply food & clothing for their family, upkeep their home and vehicle(s), and maybe, just maybe still put 10% in the basket when it's passed around on Sunday morning.

To this person, Gold is a luxury of the rich that have no worries...this person is far more concerned about the neccessities of their day to day lives.

Don't be hatin', I'm just sayin there's always another side of the coin.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted "No."

I have a desperate need to believe this. image
  • Options
    But, but...I knew you knew it would happen before you did.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Americans have become too complacent with the way their society is being run
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • Options
    But after you found out who did you tell? image
  • Options
    But after you found out who did you tell?

The Voices, of course.image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Another example that came into the companies email box just a few minutes ago:

Message : I dont know if what I have is worth anything I just know that my gramps had this for years I just wanted to know if what I have is worth something other then memories I have a MASATHUSETS IN NEW ENGLAND : AN : DOM 1652 XII. The reason I dont think its real is because it has a copy stamp on it it you would help me I would very thankfull, oh and I would be happy to sent you pics....Thank You for your time... L.A. Hawkins

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Somebody needs to take a class in Class image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    So everything is the world resembling a financial system is backed by faith & trust, demand for items

that non of us use. Of course, there is the ultimate sublime to the ridiculous, a paper treasury note, backed

by paper dollars, backed only by a large volume of heated gases in Washington. It just fills one with so much

confidence, that I have a warm and tingly feeling all over.image

Did you know that diamonds are not as rare as DeBeer's would like to have you think. The DsBs vaults hold almost

a trillion dollars in raw diamonds as the supply is controlled to almost balance demand. Truly rare diamonds are the stones

over 2 carrots, perfect stoned or the deeply toned stones so rarely seen.

So much in life, that we place a monetary value in, is merely a myth. Wrapped in the fog of misinformation and wishful thinking.

Items of true value are clean drinking water, food, shelter and some king of clothing. A bissal schnapps ain't too bad neither.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the average American this stupid?

Gold Stupidity >>

I would vote, but video has gone bye bye! image
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It is not that Americans are so stupid, they just would rather expend

their attentions on the Jackson trial, Dancing With the Stars and football.

It is rather sad, a Great People and a Great Nation devoured by trivial pursuit

rather then effective Government,sound monetary system and sensible

foreign policies.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage