Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Official Group BBCE Monster Box/Case Break #6 Baseball/Football!!! Scans are being posted, more to c

18910111214»

Comments

• MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭
    Damn, that's a lifetime of pulls in one night!
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim, how much for the cat/dog? lol

man, thats a heck of a rip! i have to ask (for Mikes benefit of course) what gave you the "itch" to rip?

I am primarily an unopened collector but I am also putting together a 1975 PSA mini graded set consisting solely of cards I've pulled from packs. I had a partial box on hand that I knew was completely legit so since it wasn't full, I rationalized that I could open the packs with a clear conscience. image Actually, I will have a half dozen packs that I was going to send in but will probably open. I have a lot of real nice commons to send in, too.

Mark, one of the Younts (and one of the Aaron #1 cards) is a full-sized card that I pulled from the 75 rack pack.

The 78 OPC Murray was an exciting pull, as it was the first OPC Murray rookie I've ever pulled. The packs in these boxes are really clean, and I have one with Ryan's regular season card showing through the pack, too.

Matt, believe me for every night like that, I have five with nothing, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Mark, that 76 pack looks sharp! I love the look of clean wax without all the wrinkles you see on the reseals. And the 74 wrapper variation is a tougher one to find/

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mark, that 76 pack looks sharp! I love the look of clean wax without all the wrinkles you see on the reseals. And the 74 wrapper variation is a tougher one to find/ >>

You reminded me of a question I was going to ask. I bought one 76 BB wax from one of the other group breaks and it says 76 on the wrapper. I knew sometimes Topps would wrap cards in previous years wrappers but wasn't sure about 1976. Are these the only two wrapper variations?

Thanks,

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
    You reminded me of a question I was going to ask. I bought one 76 BB wax from one of the other group breaks and it says 76 on the wrapper. I knew sometimes Topps would wrap cards in previous years wrappers but wasn't sure about 1976. Are these the only two wrapper variations?

Yes, the 76 wrappers were produced in 1976 but Topps also used leftover 74 wrapper in 76 as well. Topps did this several times, including in 1965 when they used 1962 wrappers and in 1971 when they used 1970 wrappers.

• cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanation Grote. Speaking of 71 BB, is it me or are wax packs very difficult to come by.

Mark
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Tim,

why did topps leave off "BASEBALL" on these '82 Cellos?

was it because they were leftovers from a FB run?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
    Tim,

why did topps leave off "BASEBALL" on these '82 Cellos?

I've seen 82 cellos with that wrapper variation straight out of the case, so they are definitely legit...Not sure what the reasoning was, as I'm not really an 80s unopened collector, but your suggestion does make sense.

Thanks for the explanation Grote. Speaking of 71 BB, is it me or are wax packs very difficult to come by.

Mark

71 wax is indeed tough to come by, and also very expensive due to the popularity of the set and those legendary black borders.

• scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Tim!!! Huge hits on the '75 minis! Out of the three packs I opened, one had Munson & Carlton, one was a bust, and one had TWO Frank Robinsons!

2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I finally gotten around to scanning my packs. The wife is out with the girls, the kids are at Grandma's and I have the house to myself. image

I didn't open anything and was pleased with my stuff even though there wasn't any star power showing to speak of. First up is one pack of 76 Topps BB. This gives me 2 now and 34 more to fill my box. >>

I love when the wife is out with the girls. Then I don't get the evil eye. image

Hey Mark, I've got 4 1976 wax packs all the 15 cent variety so it will be awhile for me to complete an entire box as well, but it is easier to do it this way then to go buy an entire box.

Great looking packs. That 1979 cello pack with Roy Thomas is very nicely centered.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Hey Tim, those are some awesome pulls!!!

The full sized Yount looks great and the one Aaron Highlights mini to the left looks strong as well.

And that OPC Murray RC is as good as you can get with those.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
    Opened a few more 78 OPC packs...these packs are as sweet as any I've ever opened...tons of mint to gem mint commons. which are tough to find for this issue.

• daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    You're having quite the weekend Tim! Keep 'em coming!
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

Just to give you an idea on how sharp the cards in this box are...here's a random sampling of a few commons..

Don't let Eric see that Brett card. image

Collecting:
    Next up: a 79 rack pack!

From a 79 rack that had a punch hole in the header card:

That Bench has that slight tilt to it, but it is one sharp card. I'd sub it in a heartbeat.

Collecting:
    That Bench has that slight tilt to it, but it is one sharp card. I'd sub it in a heartbeat.

That slight tilt on the team name is a common trait for 79s...I seem to recall BBG saying that PSA will not downgrade for that (much like they won't for a 70s OPC rough cut) but I can't recall for sure.

• << <i>Don't let Eric see that Brett card. image >>

imageimageimageimageimage
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tim... Even though the Bench has a slight tilt, that is a fantastic looking card. (great color and clarity)
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • scmavlscmavl Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten multiples of that '79 Bench from packs and none look nearly as good as that.
    2.5 is pretty much my speed.
  • OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I don't recall ever seeing a 79 without that little tilt on the bottom

I think it will grade very well
  • DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    There is a another case of 1978 OPC available...hmm
  • jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the explanation Grote. Speaking of 71 BB, is it me or are wax packs very difficult to come by.

Mark >>

Yes, in general 1971 is the hardest Topps packs in the 70's. The story I heard was the demand for wax packs dropped greatly in 1970 as topps went from a 5 cent baseball wax pack to 10 cents in 1970 (FB and BBall were 10 cents in 1969), even though you were still paying a penny per card, you lost out on one stick of gum.

Due to the decline in demand for 1970 wax packs the production in 1971 was reduced to meet the 1970 demand.

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    Hey, i want to attach some pics i took, but it says max file is 50 mbs. how can i attach larger photos? no scanner here so had to take pics the old fashioned way. i can shrink them but quality will probably get messy that small, no?
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
  • shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    So here's some pics from my 3 packs of '77 football. Overall very happy with the cards. Lots of names, although a lot OC. The Harris in person is very very nice. really poor picture, but very good centering on it and corners.

For the Steelers Fans

Two Aging but Big Stars

Two Super Sharp, but OC rookies

Two very crisp commons
    For those who don't like to click links. image

Collecting:
  • Received my packs today. One '76 BB wax and one '78 FB cello. Hard to tell who's on the back of the wax pack though it looks to be a Pirate w/ first name of Tommy. Any ideas? Also, these are my first wax buys so I need help on how to make out who's on the front of the pack or is it possible?? I will probably rip the '78 FB cello. Payton ldrs. card #334 on the back and Colts Ldrs. card on the front... could be better, could be worse I guess. Sure wish it was a regular player card on the front... oh well, I guess there's always next time!!
  • ldfergldferg Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭
    did anyone's 78 opc box have tape on it? i had a piece of scotch taping across the top. is this typical from a factory case?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, mine had tape on it:

Yes, all 78 OPC boxes should have that skinny strip of scotch tape on it.. If it doesn't you know the seller checked out the packs inside.

• MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    It must have been a couple of days since this break. Is it time for another yet with any of the new FB boxes?

Jim image
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello

<< <i>It must have been a couple of days since this break. Is it time for another yet with any of the new FB boxes? >>

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

no star power on my racks but some decent centering on a few. I'll try to post a few scans of what I'm submitting.

461, 491, 274, 344, 351, 380, 463, 521, 472, 451, 343, 462, 465, 448

634, 331, 428, 493, 632, 212, 384, 532, 513, 650, 557, 515, 502, 612

111, 256, 76, 127, 146, 407, 145, 217, 133, 42, 130, 250, 2, 147

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It must have been a couple of days since this break. Is it time for another yet with any of the new FB boxes?

Jim image >>

That '78 Wax Tray case looks awfully tempting!
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 525 ✭✭✭
    How about a 72 FB 3rd series box. image

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
    Baseball, baseball, what is this football you speak of? LOL.. On the other hand, a football rip will save me money..image

• BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> That '78 Wax Tray case looks awfully tempting! >>

I'm in on the trays with the 10% discount that is only $37.50 a tray.
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • I'm up for the 78 Trays case as well. Anyone for the 76 Topps Wax box and the 79 Wax?
  • mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to try on that 75 OPC box again, will grab more packs this time. FB always great too.
    I'm in on the 78 tray.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

• Morning,

How about the 1974 Football Box, $1260 after discount, $52.50 per pack, I would be down for 2 maybe 4!

Neil
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • Just ripped my '78 FB cello this morning. Not much worth mentioning. Out of 20 cards, I had 5 duplicates which stinks. Might have had one card that would've graded an 8. Both gum cards were ruined. Best card was a Danny White all-pro card. Corners were touched on ALL cards.
  • BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Morning,

How about the 1974 Football Box, $1260 after discount, $52.50 per pack, I would be down for 2 maybe 4!

Neil >>

You're right, Neil!! You've got the fever!! image