Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Considering breaking some case and selling boxes

13»

Comments

• Options
    I'm in the same boat. The OP can absolutely do whatever, no worries. At $400 I'm fighting to get in line. At $450, I'm probably in. At $500, I'm waiting for the next case to come up.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm in the same boat. The OP can absolutely do whatever, no worries. At $400 I'm fighting to get in line. At $450, I'm probably in. At $500, I'm waiting for the next case to come up. >>

+1
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    just when you think it's safe to go bananas, someone throws you a giant squid.
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I was looking for the $400 price point as well

oh well.. maybe get in on something else..
    not enough reward for the risk for me
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    maybe negotiations should happen via a pm...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

<< <i>maybe negotiations should happen via a pm... >>

I disagree. Jim has been open and transparent the entire way. Why start negotiating behind closed doors now.

I agree with Neil. Lower the price, enjoy the tidy profit and move one. If not, get a storage facility and have the monthly rent eat up your profits to free up space in your house.

Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat. I was very eager and ready to jump on this as soon as the price was posted, but stepped back as soon as I saw $500. Just doesn't feel right at that price to me.
  • Options
    MacrosBMacrosB Posts: 524 ✭✭✭
    I understand where everyone is coming from. Everyone has to decide at what price something is worth buying and these realitively are expensive boxes. And I did arrive at the price by talking to a couple of people on these boards. Also, Dave and Adams pays 390 for an 81 cello box, and I assume those could be searched. So it would not make much sense to sell these at 400 dollars and then cover the paypal fees and the shipping above the 10 dollars since I would be getting less than I could sell to a dealer and then he would mark it up and sell them. At 450 including shipping then it would cost be around 15 to ship (10 for the priority plus insurance and signature delivery) plus 12 or 13 dollars for the paypal fees. so I would get like 420-425 a box compared to 390 for selling to a dealer. I am not trying to critize the prices you suggested as I went through a lot of thought on th eprice point and I am just trying to throw out some of the things I considered. I would love to know what BBCE would charge for a cello box that came from a sealed case but obviously that would not be very classy to ask him but, we did just do a pack break on the 81 rack case at 810 a box. (and I know there is a difference on the desire between racks and cellos).
    So at this point I will just put the case away and consider what to do next. Thank-you everyone for taking a look and good pack hunting (especially on those 73 packs that are going to be ripped. Stupid work that kept me from being home when the thread was started but does pay the salary to allow meto buy things like this).

Jim
    Looking for 66 and 69 OPC baseball
    60's OPC packs
    72 BB, 60's FB, 71FB, 73FB, 74FB, 75FB, 76FB, 78FB Rack Packs
    72 and earlier BB cello
  • Options
    Jim,

Your price is fine because it's the price you feel most comfortable with.

Others are just letting you know that they'd jump in at a lower price, but that probably isn't possible because you already
    have offers at the higher price.

Good luck everyone !
  • Options
    So this thing is done? Any other cases going to get ripped?
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jim,

I'm sure there is still a lot of interest and as others have said, you may want to look at offering more variety. I will keep my eyes out for future posts.

Tony
    Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    i have to say something here. i wasnt going to, and heck, maybe i shouldnt, but here goes...

Jim is not the bad guy here. he's offering a unique opportunity. he's a true collector looking to help out others. something rare in this "hobby" of our in 2011.
    is the price he's asking more then others? sure it is, but so what? dont like it? dont buy. i wonder if some of you grasp how difficult this is for Jim to even
    consider doing in the first place. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute....life long collector, made some wise buys in the past, and has the opportunity to help
    out other collectors, but at the price of "letting go" part of what he loves in the first place. surely you guys can see how hard it is for him to even THINK about
    offering to do this.

i for one am very glad that Jim has joined us, if only so he can keep showing us those wonderful pictures of all those sealed cases image

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options

<< <i>i have to say something here. i wasnt going to, and heck, maybe i shouldnt, but here goes...

Jim is not the bad guy here. he's offering a unique opportunity. he's a true collector looking to help out others. something rare in this "hobby" of our in 2011.
    is the price he's asking more then others? sure it is, but so what? dont like it? dont buy. i wonder if some of you grasp how difficult this is for Jim to even
    consider doing in the first place. Put yourself in his shoes for a minute....life long collector, made some wise buys in the past, and has the opportunity to help
    out other collectors, but at the price of "letting go" part of what he loves in the first place. surely you guys can see how hard it is for him to even THINK about
    offering to do this.

i for one am very glad that Jim has joined us, if only so he can keep showing us those wonderful pictures of all those sealed cases image >>

Well said
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    The OP set his price and not enough interest was there. No biggie, he can try another case (or not) and see how it goes. Unmolested/untouched boxes should command a premium, he's already stored them for a good while and I don't blame him for holding them until he gets what he wants. Those cases don't get uglier with age. As far as hitting the market for optimal dollar return, I have no clue. They may go up or down, but one thing is certain he has had them for awhile and a little longer ain't gonna hurt him. Do what YOU think is best, great stuff BTW!
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I have no issues with the op or his price.. I don't think anyone else does either..
    it just seemed as if the sale stalled a bit...

and people let him know if he decides to come down a bit he has more takers..
    $500 is a lot of $$$ (so is $400) but the risk is much less.. especially for those of us that like to rip stuff
    and make some of it back.. I don't like the set to be honest but would love to pull a minty Montana
    or open a bod and see it on the top.. that would be super cool and why I would do it
  • Options
    fattymacsfattymacs Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭
    Just to be clear, I have no problem whatsoever with posters telling the OP what they would pay. Thats all part of the dance (it is their money they are throwing out there and lord knows I likes me a good deal!).
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i have to say something here. i wasnt going to, and heck, maybe i shouldnt, but here goes...

offering to do this.

i for one am very glad that Jim has joined us, if only so he can keep showing us those wonderful pictures of all those sealed cases image >>

Agreed. +1

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    There would be no paypal fees if" gift" is sent...
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    Just confused at this point - where did this end up?
    1981 Topps in Process