Home U.S. Coin Forum

2009 UHR question for the group : Poll included.

I don't do a lot of "what would you do" type posts but I figure this might be a good one to ask and get a feel for what others are doing.

I was able to pick up a 2009 UHR, w/ all original packaging (display case, coa, blue mint packaging, tissue). It belonged to the uncle of my co-worker. We all (me, uncle, co worker) purchased a UHR back in 2009 and most of us flipped them. He did not. He wanted to sell it Friday, I gave him a cash offer 10% under the current bid side of raw ones on Ebay and he took it (fully aware of the Ebay price. He said cash walks and BS talks). The coin is in hand now, has never been graded, has never been outside of it's plastic case and all packaging is in great shape.

So, based upon the info provided, and assuming no near term liquidity requirements, would you flip it and take your quick profit? Get it graded and flip it? Get it graded and put it away in SDB? Or Just put it away in SDB and forget about it for 20 years.

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is it first strike eligible?

if the box is opened, got a picture?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    It would not be first strike eligible. I don't have the original mailing box as he tossed that. I have the original blue mint box, tissue, display case, etc.

I can post pics a bit later, but at this point I don't.
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't bother getting it graded unless it's FS eligible.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I went with store it raw. The other option I would choose is grade and flip.

The First Strike nonsense is ridiculous. It doesn't mean anything and I hope PCGS will knock it off so all the game playing stops.

-Keith
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The First Strike nonsense is ridiculous. It doesn't mean anything.

Except when it's time to sellimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
    Unless the tulip-mania crashes. image

-Keith
  • GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    The tulip mania will NEVER crash! I am shocked you even suggest such a thing. image
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Store it raw in the original government packaging. It's a great and unique coin that you will enjoy for many years to come.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you like it?

I ordered one from the mint and still have it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭
    Proof Like gets an extra premium and on top of that if it makes a 70 I would say maybe a $4K coin or more.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Unless the tulip-mania crashes. image >>

the UHR isn't tulip mania.

the only thing that could be tulip mania would be th gold price.

If this thing won't go MS70PL (and don't forget the PL), then just leave it raw.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
    No, the "first strike" is tulip-mania.

-Keith
  • stevebensteveben Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep it. or give it to me and i'll keep it. ;-)
    Poll results are currently in the direction I'm leaning. There is something really appealing to me about putting something away for 20 years and just kind of forgetting you have it, only to rediscover it later on in life. Fun stuff.

I'll probably take some photos tonight when I get home, see if I can get some good quality shots and post those up for fun.

Baley,

Yes, I do like the coin. I liked it when I bought it back in 2009, but I didn't have the scratch at that time to be a long term holder (would have left me a bit cash thin), so the quick flip was just right. I have the ability to keep it now, but I'm also working on building a 50 pc Commem set, so the principal and extra funds would come in handy, give an extra boost to the Commems.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't really care about it as a collector, why not just sell it?

I'd love to get a crack at a second raw one that would be better than what I have, but the chances of that are slim and none. Dealers don't carry the "coffin" in comes in to shows.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    Thanks all for participating in my first poll. Looks like half would store it raw followed closely by the quick flip.

I've decided to keep it. I was able to sell a 2011 1oz AGE that I acquired a while back to a coworker on Thursday of last week, which allowed me to minimize the amount of fresh money out of pocket.

It allowed me to maintain my current buillon exposure while giving me a coin that A.) I really like and look forward to hanging onto a long time, B.) gives me a coin that is backed by it's bullion value, as well as it's numismatic value (instead of straight metal value like the current AGE).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file