Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My new box of 22

RYKRYK Posts: 35,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thanks to Messydesk for making this coin-related. image

It's the entire Europe '72 tour, 22 shows, 72 discs, all remastered. New artwork, two books, cool case. Simply amazing.

What music do you listen to while looking at your coins?

Comments

• Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    How's the sound quality on those discs?
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options

<< <i>How's the sound quality on those discs? >>

Generally outstanding. There are some weak areas, but it is mostly very strong. Worlds better than than the bootlegs I listened to in the 1980's. image

PM me your email address, and I will send a few tracks.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    erickso1erickso1 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭
    Honestly, I would love one of those boxes for my coins.

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    72???

Why does anyone need 72 discs of one band.

In the world of rare coinage, I would equate that to collecting die states of 1854-O half dollars (of which there are a gazillion die varieties to begin with).

I have zero discs of Mary Chapin Carpenter image
  • Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the Grateful Dead.

Sa weet $5!!

I like listening to good classic rock or reggae when looking at or grading coins.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    That box could be a neat coin box
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    In the world of rare coinage, I would equate that to collecting die states of 1854-O half dollars (of which there are a gazillion die varieties to begin with).

That is an excellent analogy. I would have no interest in the many die states of 54-O half dollars, but I would enjoy "collecting" every Jack Straw ever recorded.

I have zero discs of Mary Chapin Carpenter

Sure, you don't. image
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like that the whole set is HDCD encoded it's just hard to find a CD or DVD player these days that can still decode it, but well worth it!

The neatest box set I own is a limited edition complete Japanese Beatles recording in a wooded Breadbox which opens like a roll-top desk.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freakin awesome.
    Mid 70's running with the Dead.
    Ah the memories.

Wish I had seen PigPen perform Big Boss Man. Then life would be complete.
    Thanks for this one RYK.

edited to add -- who the heck is Mary Chapin Carpenter

double edited to add
    Big Boss Man
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options

<< <i>Freakin awesome.
    Mid 70's running with the Dead.
    Ah the memories.

Wish I had seen PigPen perform Big Boss Man. Then life would be complete.
    Thanks for this one RYK. >>

This is as close as I can get.

I emailed some links to tracks to you, too. image
  • Options
    Thanks RYK
    That version has a bad soudtrack and the one I linked above is an edited out version.
    The Dead must have been playing for a church picnic or something that day image
  • Options
    If you like the Dead you should rent the recently released movie The Music Never Stopped.
  • Options

<< <i>If you like the Dead you should rent the recently released movie The Music Never Stopped. >>

Got it. image
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    Money Talks by ACDC image

And Another one Bites the Dust when selling image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options

<< <i>If you like the Dead you should rent the recently released movie The Music Never Stopped. >>

Greatest Story
  • Options
    Sweet set!
    Successful transactions with keepdachange, tizofthe, adriana, wondercoin
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    What did the Deadhead say when he stopped doing drugs???

Man this band sucks!

Sorry RYK image

For the record before I get blasted, I have several Dead CD's image

Edited to say Warf Rat was my favorite PigPen song.
  • Options

<< <i>What did the Deadhead say when he stopped doing drugs???

Man this band sucks!

Sorry RYK image

For the record before I get blasted, I have several Dead CD's image >>

There is nothing in life like being at a Dead Concert.
    Man is that the truth. I can close my eyes and be back there.
    US Blues
  • Options

<< <i>Money Talks by ACDC image

And Another one Bites the Dust when selling image >>

When bidding on $25K+/- coins via live auction online... AC/DC Big Balls! imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Money Talks by ACDC image

And Another one Bites the Dust when selling image >>

When bidding on $25K+/- coins via live auction online... AC/DC Big Balls! imageimage >>

I still remember the first time I ever heard AC/DC sing that.
    Another good memory.
    Hey RYK this is the best thread ever.
  • Options
    LotsoLuckLotsoLuck Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭
    "There is nothing in life like being at a Dead Concert.
    Man is that the truth. I can close my eyes and be back there"

Been to a few, with the exception of the Zoo in OKC (band was 3 hours late and 100 degrees) they have always been awesome.
    Oh yeah, and served beer in gallon milk containers (not good).
  • Options
    bestclser1bestclser1 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Very true about seeing the Dead live,especially during the 70s and 80s.image
    Great coins are not cheap,and cheap coins are not great!
  • Options
    Apparently the gold coin club didn't ask any questions about music preferences on the application form image
  • Options

<< <i>Apparently the gold coin club didn't ask any questions about music preferences on the application form image >>

One thing for certain-- that Mary C-C ain't gonna help your candidacy. image

My first GD concert was in 1981. I last saw them as Furthur in late 2010. I would have never guessed that I would be listening to them for 30+ years. This evening, I turned down an invite to travel to see them at Red Rocks in late September.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    I mostly listen to Sirius/XM. My car has XM in it. I recently picked up a used Infinity SUV without satellite so I fitted a Sirius unit that I bought a lifetime subscription to when I was going through my divorce and suspected leaner times would be ahead of me. I normally listen to classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind or perhaps the Bruce Channel or the Dead Channel. They have other channels dedicated to bands or genre. A week ago I discovered "70's on [channel] 7" and started listening to it for fun. Unlike the other stations that have mostly album rock, the 70s station has the AM music that (unfortunately) was about all I could listen to in my car for many of those years. This past week I've heard a lot of songs that I heard thousands of times in my Jr High, high school, and early college years and had almost forgotten. They also mix in a little disco. Remember disco? It was the new genre that librarians, secretaries, and school teachers heard and it spoke to them. It said, "Go buy a spandex dance outfit and go to the bars and dance, drink, and go home with strange men." I was glad to play my part in the equation.

I'm too busy to even stock my ipod with tunes so I'm happy to have a DJ on satellite radio that will do it for me (commercial free). I can get it over the computer too so right now Heart is singing Barracuda in the background (that doesn't mean the fat lady in singing. When they recorded it they weren't fat.)

--jerry
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My first GD concert was in 1981. >>

I was 1. image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    Amazing how things you really get into find their way into your life.
    The night I asked my wife to marry me I told her to always remember - Love for Real Will Not Fade Away.
    It's our 30th this year.
    If you got about 10 minutes to kill try to watch this video. It always brings a smile to my face,
    probably because the song is "one of those songs" and the video is so unique.
    Going Down the Road Feeling Bad
  • Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭
    My box set arrived yesterday. It's going to be pretty hard to listen to 72 consecutive discs (oh no, not another MAMU), but I've avoided listening to the tour since the news of the box set release came out last spring. And the definition of obsessive - I bought this thing even though I already have copies of the entire tour.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    My first show was in 1984 at Southern Star Ampitheater at Astroworld in Houston Texas.
    I still have a huge case of 100's of bootleg tapes, I loved to spend hours listening to them back in the day.
    They are still such a favorite that my 16 year old daughter knows most of the words to many of their songs.

What a long strange trip it's been.....

edited to add......

Did anyone see the article about Greatful Dead coins in the ANA mag a few months ago?
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>My first GD concert was in 1981. >>

I was 1. image >>

So was I... I always thought you were much older.. Like in your 50's.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    I listen to Tool, Weezer, or Chili Peppers when working on coins but I do have a classic rock background consisting of the doors, Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy, am I glad the Open Forum is back! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm! Hmm! Now they can remove those shows from archive.org!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>Boy, am I glad the Open Forum is back! image >>

I am surprised that no one commented on the Panda silver thingy in the OP. image
  • Options
    RunnersDadRunnersDad Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭
    That is a great boxed set RYK! I listen to Pink Floyd a lot, going to back to "Piper at the Gates of Dawn". I also like Radiohead, Death Cab for Cutie, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros as background music to my favorite hobbies.
    Mike

Visit my son's caringbridge page @ Runner's Caringbridge Page

"To Give Anything Less than Your Best, Is to Sacrifice the Gift" - Steve Prefontaine
  • Options
    Lately I've been enjoying Jethro Tull on YouTube. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Oh, and by the way, I don't buy the "post a coin to make it legit" stuff.......

....even though I do it on occasion. image
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What music do you listen to while looking at your coins? >>

The beautiful music of my wife grousing and asking "Are you done yet?" image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Oh, and by the way, I don't buy the "post a coin to make it legit" stuff.......

....even though I do it on occasion. image >>

Love that 1802/1 RYK
    Here is a nice 1803 date that I like to look at when listening to this Fun Show
  • Options

<< <i>That is a great boxed set RYK! I listen to Pink Floyd a lot, going to back to "Piper at the Gates of Dawn". I also like Radiohead, Death Cab for Cutie, and Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros as background music to my favorite hobbies. >>

I saw deathcab when they opened up for weezer last summer in KC. They were pretty good.... Radiohead is really good!

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Convert them to mp3s
    Put it on a DVD
    Send to me
    Thanks
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options

<< <i>What music do you listen to while looking at your coins? >>

Right now, the Blues Brothers.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! You guys love some great music. I was at a Dead show in Minneapolis at the air dome with Bob Dylan back in early 80's. Only made one Dead show but many of Dylan's over the years. Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, AND the Stones...Life's a long song, enjoy it.
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭

Jerry can't hold a candle to Mick Taylor's slide guitar, nor shake his hips like Mick Jagger can...

really? <--This is Jerry Garcia on pedal steel guitar. Most beautiful bit I can recall.

• Options
    First concert 1967 Avalon Ballroom. Saw them numerous times over the years in the Bay Area.

Oddly later in life both Phil Lesh and Mickey Hart were my neighbors at different times.

Longish strange trip indeed......

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Great post.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file