Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Advice on Buying an Opened 1960 Topps Baseball Vending Box

Comments

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there anything better than stevek being made to look like a moron?

Hey DJ, put the needle on the record.

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Spencer

Congrats, your question regarding the side of the box and it's stamp.

Topps did that because those vending boxes were generic.

They also would put in other sports and non sports too.

What you should do know is check the pop reports and see if any

of these are low(er) pop. Also, Get a few of the Floods and Roberts graded.

Pick out the best ones that you feel will at least 8.

Good luck.

Good for you.
  • itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well, there ya go. upside.

if you can coax a PSA 9 out of that stack of Roberts cards, you're on your way....a PSA 8 Roberts card hovers around the $40 mark, and one just sold a couple days ago for over $100

also look for sharp examples of Chrisley, Boone and Semproch, which have a very low number of MINT 9 examples currently recorded in the Pop report.....Semproch also has a lower population in PSA 8, so a nice example would bring some coin.

safe to say it would be worth the time to look 'em over before you flip that box.

go make some money. image
  • Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many board members have emailed that ebay seller asking for more boxes this morning? image
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.

• << <i>Is there anything better than stevek being made to look like a moron?

image >>

Can't think of many that top this.

<< <i> and ya can have a good laugh on stevek...I hope it happens. >>

It did. lol

In Stevek's defense his contributions here generally are on the cautious side.

I'm sure he has been right at least once. lol

Good for you.
  • msassinmsassin Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the nice find.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    In Stevek's defense his contributions here generally are on the cautious side.

That's putting it mildly. Look up 'risk averse' in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of stevek lecturing a guy who's risk averse.
  • Well done – ensure you post scans of cards you sent in for grading when they are returned.
    Haiku’s are easy
    But sometimes don’t make sense
    Refrigerator
  • I just attempted to look up 'risk averse' in the dictionary, and was unable to find it.

I was able to find each word that is part of the phrase individually.

Edited to add: Oh, also- nice looking cards!
    'Sir, I realize it's been difficult for you to sleep at night without your EX/MT 1977 Topps Tom Seaver, but I swear to you that you'll get it safe and sound.'
    -CDs Nuts, 1/20/14

*1956 Topps baseball- 97.4% complete, 7.24 GPA
    *Clemente basic set: 85.0% complete, 7.89 GPA
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on the deal - looks like a very nice purchase indeed. image

Post the pics when ya get 'em back from PSA...so I'll be able to eat more crow. LOL

<< <i>Is there anything better than stevek being made to look like a moron?

image >>

nam812 - good call on your part. Oh that's right, you didn't make any call. LOL

One day perhaps you'll grow some stones and offer an opinion or viewpoint, instead of chiming in after the fact like a name calling little punk.

<< <i>..........instead of chiming in after the fact like a name calling little punk. >>

I wouldn't mind discussing what a little punk I am with you in person at the next Philly show.

Edited to add: At least you didn't dispute the fact that you were made to look like a moron.

<< <i>In Stevek's defense his contributions here generally are on the cautious side.

That's putting it mildly. Look up 'risk averse' in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of stevek lecturing a guy who's risk averse. >>

I'm not risk averse at all. I was wrong on this particular deal, but I stand by my viewpoint that this was a bad risk, although in this case it paid off. You start buying enough lots like this on ebay, with distant pics from experienced sellers with a description such as that from a seller who appeared as though he wanted to just get rid of the lot...and you're gonna lose money in the long run...a lot of money...and that was the basis for my viewpoint.

<< <i>

<< <i>..........instead of chiming in after the fact like a name calling little punk. >>

I wouldn't mind discussing what a little punk I am with you in person at the next Philly show. >>

That's good that you know what you are. LOL

<< <i>

I wouldn't mind discussing what a little punk I am with you in person at the next Philly show.

Edited to add: At least you didn't dispute the fact that you were made to look like a moron. >>

More punk insults from nam812. Come on little boy, just "moron" is the best you can do...you can't do any better than that? Come on, let those expletives fly. image
    Nah, moron sums you up pretty good.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Edited to add: At least you didn't dispute the fact that you were made to look like a moron. >>

More punk insults from nam812. Come on little boy, just "moron" is the best you can do...you can't do any better than that? Come on, let those expletives fly. image >>

Lemme guess, nam812 busy right now consulting the internet thesaurus for some clever insult words. LOL

Here ya go little boy, a link to help improve your insult vocabulary. LOL

http://thesaurus.com/browse/moron

<< <i>Nah, moron sums you up pretty good. >>

<<< One day perhaps you'll grow some stones and offer an opinion or viewpoint, instead of chiming in after the fact like a name calling little punk. >>>

This sums you up pretty good.

I thought you two buried the hatchet?

C'mon guys let it go.

<==== Voice of reason from the sidelines.

Good for you.
    Believe me stevek, I am deeply sorry that gambling cost you your family, house, etc...., but begging me to insult you is not the answer. It wont bring your wife and children back. The hate they have for you is far too deep. I can't say I blame them at all.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    very classy...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
    deleted out of respect to miconelegacy

<< <i>I thought you two buried the hatchet?

C'mon guys let it go.

<==== Voice of reason from the sidelines. >>

Steve - I don't mind the insults or any type of remark from those who are involved in the discussion. We "insult" each other and talk smack at Sports Talk all the time, and as we know it's all in good fun as fellow card and coin collectors, and I enjoy it.

I just dislike it when someone not even involved in the detailed discussion here, comes out of nowhere like a troll, and starts hurling insults, when they never had the stones to even offer an opinion or viewpoint on the subject - that is what trolls do.

<< <i>It would be great if we all found out that nam812 and stevek are one in the same ... or better yet, were dating image >>

Nah...cdsnuts and nam812 have been a couple for a long time, I'd never want to interfere with that. image
    I consider both of you my friends and it disturbs me when chit gets personal.

Good for you.
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow this has been a wild thread to read!!

Glad this all worked out for the buyer. Good luck with your efforts on selling and recouping your costs and hopefully you do indeed turn a nice profit.

<< <i>I consider both of you my friends and it disturbs me when chit gets personal. >>

Steve, if you would see the smack that goes on in some Philly sports bars, anything I've seen on the internet pales in comparison. LOL
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Steve, if you would see the smack that goes on in some Philly sports bars, anything I've seen on the internet pales in comparison. LOL >>

How about going to the old Spectrum in a Rangers jersey? There was a lot of "smack" going on there. image

BTW, great job on the 1960 vending box!!! Here's hoping for some 8's. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.

<< <i>

<< <i>Steve, if you would see the smack that goes on in some Philly sports bars, anything I've seen on the internet pales in comparison. LOL >>

How about going to the old Spectrum in a Rangers jersey? There was a lot of "smack" going on there. image

BTW, great job on the 1960 vending box!!! Here's hoping for some 8's. image >>

Did any New Yorker ever survive that visit? image

BTW...How many members and lurkers here now have this thread's seller on their watch list? LOL
    Miconelegacy Auctions
    "Live everyday, don't throw it away"
  • Stevek shows up on the precious metals board also. That is where us gold and silver collectors discuss things pertaining
    to precious metals. I don't know the guy personally, and I only hang out in the card forum occasionally, but whenever
    stevek is over at the precious metals forum, he's usually very good with his analysis, but it's usually bashing the current
    administration or government, and he usually contributes very little to anything related to precious metals(gold, silver, platinum, palladium).

He's a very knowledgeable guy, but he contributes very little to the precious metals forum as far as metals are concerned, and
    as you've said, he contributes very little to the actual buying and selling of sportscards. So it appears that he gets his enjoyment
    out of bashing politicians, or others, and contributes very little to the actual substance of the boards.

Just my opinion, but I'd buy him a beer if I ever saw him.

<< <i>Stevek what is your deal? Are you just lonely? You have posted 24% of this thread...for what exactly???

Where are your threads that you start? Where are your pickups? Where are your cards? On what grounds do you feel like you are a productive member here?

I'm just asking bc I don't see or haven't seen a lot of productiveness for "Mr. Businessman".

This thread really went south. Family should be off limits. It's very apparent I'm not the only one that feels like you bring more harm than help. I'll pray for you. Hopefully you'll be able to impact something or someone in a productive way. I'm real sorry... >>

Interesting how you respond in a derogatory post to me with a "Family should be off limits" comment...but the one who clearly instigated it, you didn't respond in a post to him. Seems like you wanna see, only what you wanna see. If you looked at each of my over 20,000 posts over the years, you would find that you are totally incorrect in your judgement...and frankly, I couldn't care less.

I post at CU because I enjoy it here and have fun. If you would have asked anyone in my grade school, who is the most avid baseball card collector, they would have likely pointed to me. I also enjoyed coin collecting as well back then, and I still enjoy both hobbies very much. I also learn from others here who share their information and knowledge, and I enjoy doing the same when I can.

Hope you enjoy the CU forum as much as I do. image

<< <i>Stevek shows up on the precious metals board also. That is where us gold and silver collectors discuss things pertaining
    to precious metals. I don't know the guy personally, and I only hang out in the card forum occasionally, but whenever
    stevek is over at the precious metals forum, he's usually very good with his analysis, but it's usually bashing the current
    administration or government, and he usually contributes very little to anything related to precious metals(gold, silver, platinum, palladium).

He's a very knowledgeable guy, but he contributes very little to the precious metals forum as far as metals are concerned, and
    as you've said, he contributes very little to the actual buying and selling of sportscards. So it appears that he gets his enjoyment
    out of bashing politicians, or others, and contributes very little to the actual substance of the boards.

Just my opinion, but I'd buy him a beer if I ever saw him. >>

I'd buy anyone on this forum a beer...a few might not accept it, but I'd offer it. LOL

Another member with a revisionist viewpoint, and that's okay, you're entitled to your opinion...however I'd be fairly certain that you disagree with my Tea Party affiliation and that's okay as well. But your premise is simply incorrect, as I have provided in-depth analysis in a number of posts there, certainly not as good as some who are more knowledgeable than me and I learn from them. As I have stated there before...analysing precious metals prices is basically not going to be accurate or possible without strong consideration of the political climate...and I'll never speak for the moderators of course, but it seems like they allow that there, versus other areas on the forum, because they know and understand how the political climate has such a strong influence on precious metals price fluctuations.

And how would you know that "he contributes very little to the actual buying and selling of sportscards"...I may be wrong, but I don't remember many, if hardly any, of your posts over here...again, I could be wrong and perhaps it was in threads I didn't participate in. I don't collect modern cards or autographs, although I've accumulated some...but if it's a thread about vintage baseball cards, I almost always open it and, participate if I feel like it...and that's that.

Well, it's almost time for the Republican debate - I wanna see who is going to be our next president. image
  • Sideline

Ste..

Sorry Sean checking in.

Glad to see I'm not involved this time.

• << <i>Sideline

Ste..

Sorry Sean checking in.

Glad to see I'm not involved this time. >>

Just give it time, we can get you in there if we try hard enough.
    Miconelegacy Auctions

<< <i>We need help in the White House and then some. I agree with you. Family involvement unless completely positive IMO is off limits, and Nam's post I disagree with 100%. That being said you two obviously have bad blood that shouldn't pour into other peoples threads.

This is a prime example why members here show recent pickups, collections they bought, or new finds that have no follow up. Usually it's because people like you take over with your over aggressive input that almost all dislike. You seem like a very intelligent person, but so what. Your informative opinions get overlooked by your hoarding of space with comments and sideline posts. At the end of the day bringing value in a positive way is more important than your post count.

Passion, oh do I love passionate people, but there is a difference between passion and consistently posting and having it viewed by others in a negative way. It's quite obvious, everyone knows it, most ignore it, but this thread got hijacked by you. I like many others are tired of it. That can't be too difficult for you to understand. This is pretty cut and dry. So be a man and ease up a little. If you like cards so much, this forum, posting, etc, then try to bring a little more than input that comes across as jealousy all the time.

It reminds me of a little child who doesn't get enough attention. It lashes out to get reaction. Whether the info is helpful, hurtful, negative, or in this threads post, nobody likes a buzz kill. Honesty is important. Be honest, share your opinion, but not so da-n much.

If that's your purpose in life, well I feel very sorry for you. With 20 whatever thousand posts, I know you have heard this many of times. A caring person gives in a way that helps others. I agree some of the posts are helpful, but I'm sure you could be sitting at 10,000 posts and some would still feel you are too much. >>

<<< this thread got hijacked by you >>>

<<< Is this a good deal? >>>

The second quote was in the opening post of the OP. I think I remained on topic, answering his question, throughout the entire thread until some silly name calling began, and then I simply responded to one of the name callers...Philly style. i'm glad you had the courage and fortitude to say "Nam's post I disagree with 100%" and perhaps I shouldn't have responded to such a punk post. In fact, in all due respect to you, I'm going to delete my response to that punk post as soon as I'm done this post.

I see your overall point here, but I think perhaps some of my posting style gets misconstrued and that's understandable. If ya ever listened to a Philly sports talk show, it is unlike any other, and I've heard other sports talk shows on the internet and they are nothing like the smack discussions in Philly. I'm from Philly and so that's my style...not apologizing for it, not really condoning it, but just explaining it...it is what it is, and perhaps that style sometimes gets reflected in my other posts here.

I've stated this a number of times on this forum and I'll state it again...I've never met a fellow card collector who I didn't like, and I still stand by that statement regardless of what has been said here. I don't make that statement about all coin collectors for the only reason that at least in the past, there were some coin collectors out there who looked down on card collectors, and that used to really tick me off when I attended some coin shows and some derogatory remarks were made about card collectors...and I told that story once in the coin forum. However in all fairness, that being said, I don't see much or any of those derogatory remarks any longer and perhaps PSA had something or much to do with that, with the advent of a marked increase in card values due to the invention of card grading. I tell coin collectors that take a 1962 proof set - it sold for around $3 back in the 1960's and is worth around $20 now only because of silver prices...take a 1962 Topps Mantle, now slabbed as a PSA 10, which once sold for a penny and of course we all know the very high value it has now...I'm sure those values have earned the respect of those coin collectors I mentioned.

Don't worry about having to wonder about my honest opinion - that's the only way I express it. As to wanting attention, come on now, if you want honesty, let's be honest...most if not all regulars on internet forums love attention...they could even be called attention vvhores and I wouldn't disagree with that (LOL). So I would suggest to you to have fun and enjoy the forum, and not get disconcerted over anything I or anyone else has to say. And as to your opening sentence, I have to give you a big thumbs up. image
    <<< but I'm sure you could be sitting at 10,000 posts and some would still feel you are too much. >>>

miconelegacy - one final point that I just thought of as to why your above comment is like an urban legend. If you follow the threads over the years, there have been very few, virtually nil, threads that I've been involved in or even posted in, which have been locked or deleted. I think that tells ya all you need to know that the silly troll-like threads that sometimes appear here, which usually get infested with massive name calling and crude remarks...you won't find my participation in them...this acute name calling here from me was an exception and I already explained why.

Best wishes to you.

stevek
  • I think miconelegacy just wants you to shut the hell up once in awhile, whether you have an opinion or not.
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    In honor of stevek, next November I'm going to vote for Obama while playing online poker, opening modern wax, and buying raw cards on ebay all at the same time inside the voting booth.

<< <i>In honor of stevek, next November I'm going to vote for Obama while playing online poker, opening modern wax, and buying raw cards on ebay all at the same time inside the voting booth. >>

Might as well wear a Dallas Cowboys jersey while your at it. LOL
  • jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In honor of stevek, next November I'm going to vote for Obama while playing online poker, opening modern wax, and buying raw cards on ebay all at the same time inside the voting booth. >>

I'll be in line behind you. image

<< <i>I think miconelegacy just wants you to shut the hell up once in awhile, whether you have an opinion or not. >>

So you're now his interpreter? LOL

Seems like you online poker boys don't have much to do since the major poker websites shut down to US users. I guess ya can't stand all that money you're saving, or perhaps the B&M games aren't your cup of tea. Don't worry about it, I think some states will be back in action one day, and then you'll be losing all your hard earned money again before ya know it.
  • twileytwiley Posts: 1,923

• << <i>

<< <i>I think miconelegacy just wants you to shut the hell up once in awhile, whether you have an opinion or not. >>

Seems like you online poker boys don't have much to do since the major poker websites shut down to US users. I guess ya can't stand all that money you're saving, or perhaps the B&M games aren't your cup of tea. Don't worry about it, I think some states will be back in action one day, and then you'll be losing all your hard earned money again before ya know it. >>

I never said anything about playing poker or gambling. The only thing I said is I believe nothing you type because you are a moron; whether it is politics, sports, precious metals, gambling or any other topic you choose to spout off about.

<< <i>

I'll be in line behind you. image >>

Yea, you King B lovers who play online poker. King B sure did a lot for ya for two years when he had a Democratic House and Senate, and they could have passed any online poker legislation at all and he would have signed it...yet you all seem to stick by him despite the fact that he did absolutely nothing for you....almost hard to believe.

Oh well, before I get accused again of derailing the thread, I bid Goodbye, Farewell and Amen to this thread for now....but I'll look forward to the post of the PSA cards from the OP. One thing I was right about, there aren't any 9's in there, the one card he posted seems to have fraying or a possible ding on a corner, a little tough to tell on the scan, and any ding on the cards would mean no 8's or 7's either...but we'll wait and see....the cards are still nicer than I initially thought.

<< <i>

<< <i>

Seems like you online poker boys don't have much to do since the major poker websites shut down to US users. I guess ya can't stand all that money you're saving, or perhaps the B&M games aren't your cup of tea. Don't worry about it, I think some states will be back in action one day, and then you'll be losing all your hard earned money again before ya know it. >>

I never said anything about playing poker or gambling. The only thing I said is I believe nothing you type because you are a moron; whether it is politics, sports, precious metals, gambling or any other topic you choose to spout off about. >>

I enjoy coins as well...don't forget that. image

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I never said anything about playing poker or gambling. The only thing I said is I believe nothing you type because you are a moron; whether it is politics, sports, precious metals, gambling or any other topic you choose to spout off about. >>

I enjoy coins as well...don't forget that. image >>

Please, just stay the hell out of the stamps forum!
    Miconelegacy Auctions