Home Precious Metals

The Hurricane Thread

Use this thread this weekend to keep us updated how things are going in your neck of the woods.
Everyone be safe, and enjoy your family time, and may all your dwellings survive this storm.

PM

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JAX, not even a good rain. image

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• About 90 miles from the SC/NC border but in SC. Squall lines of wind and rain are coming in as I type this.
    Not bad and do not expect it be too bad. The people north of me are going to get hammered I fear!

This just happened about 20 miles from me...

• Lower Westchester County, NY here (lower NY state) and we're anticipating some heavy rain and winds. However, our Long Island friends might be in for a bit more than that.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lower Westchester County, NY here (lower NY state) and we're anticipating some heavy rain and winds. However, our Long Island friends might be in for a bit more than that. >>

thats what there saying for here in connecticut. hang on for the ride image
  • gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    You should be prepared for extended days of power outages. 2 weeks water & food etc. My prayers for all in path!
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tropical Storm Isabel took out power for us for ____ days and cable was out for about a week.

I don't know how long power was out because we had already planned a trip to Fla. and left the very next day. Took the pets to the power deprived kennel, who accepted them, and we left.

Heavy t-storms make power go out for hours here. The morons are too cheap to cut the trees back. Although, after snow-mageddon and the last heavy storms, the PR beating they took has caused them to cut a lot of trees down and back.

We shall see.

(OTOH, the earthquake made the lights flicker once.)

We shall see.

I don't think it will be as bad as initially predicted. It appears to have weakened overnight and didn't re-strengthen during the day.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • fastrudyfastrudy Posts: 2,096
    On Long Island, in the cross-hairs. We are all prepared, down to a pitcher of Hurricane mixes just like in New Orleans!!
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Hurricane tips from Houston.

Gas your car up and get some cash. Power goes down and the atm's and gas pumps don't work. Have plenty of batteries and a few flashlights because you might not have electricity for at least 3 days and more than likely 8 or 9 days. Make sure the grill is operational and fueled. Make lots of ice and have a large ice chest. Easy to fill up some plastic baggies and freeze them to get some ice that can keep your food cold and then will then melt and give you...wait for it...water... in a convenient, sealed baggie. If you can get a battery operated tv then that is good but you must have a radio so you can listen to country music. Buy water, not a bunch of cokes and stuff as the water still taste good when it is warm and the cokes will rot out your mouth. Get some comfort food like fritos or apples or something to munch on (women like chocolate when stressed) and don't forget pet food because you don't want to be feeding them you beanie weanies with only one weanie left. Don't forget to have a few days worth of food. Better fill a garbage can with water or at least fill your tubs so you can flush the toilet (the women will appreciate that). For those without screens on their windows, get a small window unit a/c to go with a 2000 or 3000 watt generater and you will have lights in your house, you can listen to the radio, and maybe even use the internt, you will appreciate that advice because if you can't use your house, you're sittin' in the garage on a couple of lawn chairs listenin' to the radio. Yep, you heard right, you will likely spend a lot of time listenin' to the radio.

Rum drinks are pretty good during a hurricane if you would like to ease the pain a little and they don't leave your mouth sour like beer does. That is all.

Good luck to those about to rock, get prepared and keep cool a cool head and a warm heart.

• << <i>image

Bring it.

image >>

This wont work 6 feet under water!
    Many successful BST transactions ajia
    (x2,Meltdown),cajun,Swampboy,SeaEagleCoins,InYHWHWeTrust, bstat1020,Spooly,timrutnat,oilstates200, vpr, guitarwes,
    mariner67, and Mikes coins
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Don't forget to have a few days worth of food. Better fill a garbage can with water or at least fill your tubs so you can flush the toilet >>

There will be plenty of rain, a few garbage cans will do image
    Current doppler, looks like the eye is 150 mi. or so, east of the SC coast.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Here is my recipe for Hurricanes, will be making a pitcher of them today or tomorrow. It's the closest I have found to those in New Orleans.
    Hurricanes
    12 ounces light rum
    12 ounces dark rum
    10 ounces grenadine or passion fruit syrup
    10 ounces orange juice
    10 ounces sour mix or fresh lime juice,, 1/2 & 1/2
    3 tablespoons superfine sugar
    Mix all ingredients in shaker or pitcher, fill a tall glass with crushed ice. Pour over ice, garnish with an orange wedge and serve with a straw.
    Enjoy,
    Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is my recipe for Hurricanes, will be making a pitcher of them today or tomorrow. It's the closest I have found to those in New Orleans.
    Hurricanes
    12 ounces light rum
    12 ounces dark rum
    10 ounces grenadine or passion fruit syrup
    10 ounces orange juice
    10 ounces sour mix or fresh lime juice,, 1/2 & 1/2
    3 tablespoons superfine sugar
    Mix all ingredients in shaker or pitcher, fill a tall glass with crushed ice. Pour over ice, garnish with an orange wedge and serve with a straw.
    Enjoy, >>

And when do we come out of our coma?image
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • pwrful4pwrful4 Posts: 282 ✭✭
    Had to fly the jets off the base from NC to LA. Nothing like leaving the wife home alone in the storm while I'm out searching a new market for coins!
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lower Westchester County, NY here (lower NY state) and we're anticipating some heavy rain and winds. However, our Long Island friends might be in for a bit more than that. >>

My wife's fam is all over there, thornwood/white plains/rockland/nyack/etc. You should be fine with just lots of rain...they have the crazy alerts going up there? You'd think it was going to landfall there by the way wifey got all crazy with what her family has been telling her on the phone.
  • OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

Bring it.

image >>

Generacs rock. Nice propane model there.

I just bought some more gasoline for mine.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the news channels are milking it for all they can get (since they committed so many resourses to it). Over abundance of talking heads equals news that ain't news. One crew was successful, they finally found a tree blown over. You would have thought they found Noah's Ark.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• Very windy in Raleigh but I still have power... knock on wood

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it - Clint Eastwood
  • percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Seems to be blowing through the great state of South Carolina, (the first state to secede!!).
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Portsmouth VA.........Jelly fish in the back yard, the storm won't be here for another 6 hours

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Connecticut - Moderate rain, stay tuned.

-Bob
    Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Western Massachusetts here. Bracing for the rain. They are saying 6 to 10 inches of rain. Right now its a light drizzle and Monday is supposed to be sunny and 80 degrees. Tomorrow is going to be horrible.

• << <i>

My wife's fam is all over there, thornwood/white plains/rockland/nyack/etc. You should be fine with just lots of rain...they have the crazy alerts going up there? You'd think it was going to landfall there by the way wifey got all crazy with what her family has been telling her on the phone. >>

Yeah, not huge alerts for Westchester but more for NYC and LI. Regardless, White Plains isn't far from NYC. We won't have storm surges but we'll have some BAD rain and wind.

ETA: WOW HERB! Jellyfish! Too bad there aren't some seabass or something good to grill up when the electricity goes. BE SAFE!
  • KonaheadKonahead Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭
    We are in a slow bake, summer came late. My prayers are we all of you on the east coast.
    PEACE! This is the first day of the rest of your life.

Fred, Las Vegas, NV
  • Ok, about 14 hours after my last post...

We went through one band that was just some small gusts and MAYBE 10-15mph winds with a decent amount of rain. Then all of the sudden it stopped and we just had a breeze. Now, it's starting to rain a bit again and the winds are steadier than before. Gusts are definitely in the 30mph+ range. Seems like a second band is coming our way, which the news claims to be worse than the first one.

Then, in about 2-4 hours (6-8am) the eye will be over NYC and lower Westchester, along with some parts of NJ and CT. Then again, the weather radar maps don't look too hurricane-ish anymore. It just looks like a giant thunderstorm, without much rotation. Who knows.

Regardless, anyone in this area, take caution and just chill out. Stay away from windows, doors, low-laying areas and ride it out.

Best of luck!
    Jeremy
  • Well, there is serious flooding and power outages throughout NYC, namely Brooklyn. But in my area, we're just wet. Some small gusts here and there and a little rain on and off, but no damage or anything that I can see out my window.

Glad it wasn't worse though.
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭
    I'm in central Nassau County, Long Island, and it appears to be over. Back in 85, when Gloria hit, there was much more damage and I lost power for three days.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mid NYS..(just south of Albany).... LOTS of rain (8 inches so far).. and wind... small branches and lots of leaves down....should be easing up in another two hours... Cheers, RickO
  • Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well the rain has stopped here in western Mass. Now just dealing with wind. Getting gusts to 35-40 mph.
    We got approx 4 inches of rain here, and there doesnt seem to be anymore on the radar. The wind is supposed to die out around midnight. Fingers crossed that no trees come down on my house or on power lines.