Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

This is by far the best card I purchased at The National.......

I just love it. image

Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    Solid Seven!

bumpable?

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Where did u find a beauty like that?????
  • Options
    Those are the type of 7s I try to collect. I doubt it's bumpable because of the fisheye, but it has amazing eye appeal. Awesome pickup.
    Currently Buying:
    2004 Tommie Harris SPX Printing Plate (White Whale will pay top $$$)
    1994 SP Football Die Cuts PSA 10s
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous card, gratz Ron!
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭
    Nice card. The fisheye detracts, but a solid card from the best running back of all time.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Just Collect had this one. I really enjoyed dealing with them. A couple dealers I know offered me a nice profit on it, but i declined. I may bump it at some point.....those corners are RAZAH!
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    I can dig that cat daddy.
    Nothing smoother than listening to Bob James and sipping on a glass of vintage Courvoisier! It's PIMPnificent!
  • Options

<< <i>I may bump it at some point >>

Save your money.....I don't think the fisheye will allow the bump.
  • Options
    Bob - I showed it to some respected dealers with experience in bumpage. To a man, they said surely no 8, but 7.5 was possible. Because those corners, well, I'm getting all verklempt
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    MBMiller25MBMiller25 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭

<< <i>I'm getting all verklempt >>

+1 for the SNL reference. Nice card! image
  • Options
    Well....I do like the registration. As one who has had my fair share of Jim Brown rookies, it is VERY hard to find one that has good registration. Usually double imaging is common. I also like the fact that the brown (background - no pun intended) is trash-free. Usually the brown has crap in it. Yours doesn't. Maybe I am being a little too hard on the fish-eye...... Is the back intact or has it been rubbed?
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    Tom:

Congrats on getting the better of me since I said via PM that I preferred not to deal with you, but at least tell the truth. While trying to get a rise out of me behind the veil of a National purchase, you're lying to the balance of the board members. Anyone with half and eye and the card in hand can see that the card has no chance of bumping and in your haste to "win," you either ignored or missed the print crimp that runs completely across the card (I've circled it in red). I doubt any "respected dealer with experience in bumpage" would've missed it.

It is a gorgeous card and presents far nicer than the grade assigned, but it is nothing more than a NM card and if cracked and subbed, it might not even come back in a PSA 7.

I was as excited when I bought it on eBay over a year ago until I got it in hand. I then sold it then bought it back again recently in an auction.

Anyway, next time you want to brag about something and rub it into someone's face, think real hard and consider the consequences.

Please feel free to print this out and add it to your files...
  • Options
    Whoops!!! I missed it!
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    <-----------------
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
    I saw that crimp too OTW but did not want to rain on the parade.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought that with a flaw such as that, the best it could receive is a PSA 6...guess there's always room to learn.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    My Emmitt Smith rookie doesn't have a crimp.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the mis fortune of cracking a BGS 9 Andre The Giant that has razor sharp corners, great centering only to find a surface issue like this. It sits in a PSA 7 and I lost big.

Cool card but with the centering issues top to bottom and the flaw pointed out I say keep it in the PSA 7 NM holder.

• Options

<< <i>My Emmitt Smith rookie doesn't have a crimp. >>

LMAO... You've waited several years to bring that up. Bravo! But we managed to get past it... image
  • Options
    Scott -

Whether it bumps or not, it's worth every penny I paid for it. And oh, ironic you'd accuse someone of not telling the truth.

Ron Burgundy

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>My Emmitt Smith rookie doesn't have a crimp. >>

LMAO... You've waited several years to bring that up. Bravo! But we managed to get past it... image >>

• Options

<< <i>Scott -

Whether it bumps or not, it's worth every penny I paid for it. And oh, ironic you'd accuse someone of not telling the truth.

image >>

Truth? What truth are you alluding to? Another veiled threat? Do you really want to open a can of worms, because I'm more than willing to play and I have nothing to hide. My suggestion would be to let sleeping dogs lie . . . and let your lemmings tell you how great you are. I don't mind being the pompous ass of the boards. But if you want the title, you've more than earned it.
  • Options
    Let's make this real simple.

Find ONE person on these boards that I've done a deal with that I haven't paid immediately or delivered EXACTLY what was advertised and shipped out the next day. Find ONE!!!

Find ONE person that I've sold something to on eBay that hasn't received EXACTLY what was advertised and the item wasn't shipped out the next business day. Find ONE!!!

Find ONE person that I've agreed to purchase from on these boards or on eBay that I haven't paid immediately. Find ONE!!!

When you can have the same track record, then you can call me out. Until then, I'll stand on my reputation while you continue to work on bettering yours. Whether others like me or not is not the point as I've ticked off more than my share of people here, but to suggest that I am not truthful is insulting.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lawnmowerman once promised to send me a PSA 10 1952 Mantle for free, and he never sent it.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lawnmowerman once promised to send me a PSA 10 1952 Mantle for free, and he never sent it. >>

Hell - I'm still waiting for my lawn to be cut! image
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Let's make this real simple.

Find ONE person on these boards that I've done a deal with that I haven't paid immediately or delivered EXACTLY what was advertised and shipped out the next day. Find ONE!!!

Find ONE person that I've sold something to on eBay that hasn't received EXACTLY what was advertised and the item wasn't shipped out the next business day. Find ONE!!!

Find ONE person that I've agreed to purchase from on these boards or on eBay that I haven't paid immediately. Find ONE!!!

When you can have the same track record, then you can call me out. Until then, I'll stand on my reputation while you continue to work on bettering yours. Whether others like me or not is not the point as I've ticked off more than my share of people here, but to suggest that I am not truthful is insulting. >>

Hi Scott

I prefer to steer clear of the personal stuff here...

But I'll attest to your credibility and knowledge.

edit: and of course - it goes without saying - I'd prefer to see you two bury the hatchet.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

When you can have the same track record, then you can call me out. Until then, I'll stand on my reputation while you continue to work on bettering yours. Whether others like me or not is not the point as I've ticked off more than my share of people here, but to suggest that I am not truthful is insulting. >>

Hi Scott

edit: and of course - it goes without saying - I'd prefer to see you two bury the hatchet. >>

I will attest to Scott being a pompous assimage
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    i tend to think of myself as kind of more like a kangaroo rat.
  • Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    Still no joy in Mudville image
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options

<< <i>

Hi Scott

edit: and of course - it goes without saying - I'd prefer to see you two bury the hatchet. >>

I'd prefer to see them fight to the death.
  • Options
    BTW, what did Scott "allegedly" do to kick this off?
  • Options
    I apologize! I should have never drawn attention to that darn fisheye!! (although it pretty much drew attention to itself).
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I knew this one had potential.
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Scott -

I'm happy to reduce this to "real simple" terms, in fact that's a good idea because maybe that's the only way you'll understand it.

In terms of the truth, the notion that because I think my brand spankin' new Brown RC could be bumpworthy is somehow a lie because you disagree is a nice strawman.........but per usual with you, it's an epic fail. Grading opinions are subjective. In case you've forgotten that, you can find a nice refresher on PSA's home page. Look into it. Unless you've developed an absolute grading system that is proprietary and you've yet to disclose.......possible with you, I suppose.

Actually I would've bought the card if it were 80/20 with rounded corners but still in a 7 holder and spent exactly the same amount of money, so the fact it's a blazer 7 is a bonus.

Accusing me of lying to other board members on an issue that is by nature subjective would be douchebaggery for most people, but perfectly consistent with your past conduct of running off to the other forum and spewing garbage about me.

Don't flatter yourself about being the pompous ass of the boards. You haven't done enough to achieve that title just yet. For now, you're just the high school teenager who farts in geometry class and then runs out in the hall to giggle about it with his buddies (Meteorite Guy, I'm looking at you........you want to call me an ick with a D, be a man about it and do it here. Or come to Texas and post it to my face.)

While we're examining "the truth", Scott, exactly who are these "lemmings" you speak of on the board? You like to call people out, so name em. Who are they? Itzagoner? Leadoff4? Dozens of other good men around here? C'mon, man up and call them out....throw some more people under the bus. They deserve to know. Live up to that title of pompous ass.

The sad reality, Scott, is that you never start an original post here, the majority of your contributions here are in the way of criticism of others, and then you run off to the other forum to thump your chest about it. And that's fine. Just know that I see it all and hear it all, and it says far more about you than it does about me.

I've had my disagreements with a few members here, and over time we've patched things up and I've come to respect them. That doesn't look to be the case with you, but *shrug*........that's how much I care.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭
    "(Meteorite Guy, I'm looking at you........you want to call me an ick with a D, be a man about it and do it here. Or come to Texas and post it to my face.)"

It is well known you are reading the boards over there. I wasn't hiding.

I also did not say you were a D, only that you have acted like a D to me at times. Of course you also left off that I added that you likely just come across wrong on forums.

Happy now?
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>Or come to Texas and post it to my face >>

Not a good idea!

It's hotter than hell this summer!!! image
    Mike
  • Options
    No, I do not read those boards. I get regular updates from several people there.

Parse words all you want, Mark, the meaning is as clear as the sky. If you ever had a problem with me, I assume you have the PM function.
    Ron Burgundy

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Lawnmowerman once promised to send me a PSA 10 1952 Mantle for free, and he never sent it. >>

Hell - I'm still waiting for my lawn to be cut! image >>

I hear it's much too hot there Mike. I'm going to pass this time image
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>No, I do not read those boards. I get regular updates from several people there.

Parse words all you want, Mark, the meaning is as clear as the sky. If you ever had a problem with me, I assume you have the PM function. >>

Now just above you said you see all, and you have been telling Scott, per Scott's comment on the thread you are referring, that you printing the stuff off or the like. I take it that means you are following the thread...again, I was not hiding.

I don't see how PMing you that I think you have been a D to me in the past would accomplish anything. I could point out examples if you want Tom, that is your real name right?, like your why were my mulitple threads in the BST deleted, or why was the Chicago Olympic thread deleted. We do not collect the same things, have the same interest or the like. I do not believe that our few interactions are the sum of you. If you want to make it more then it is, I guess you are welcome to, but it doesn't change anything I said.

Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Hell - I'm still waiting for my lawn to be cut! image >>

I hear it's much too hot there Mike. I'm going to pass this time image >>

Hi Matt!

I would definitely pass (OUT)!

I know it's not as bad in FLA - but it doesn't seem like you're gonna have as bad a hurricane season?
    Mike
  • Options
    It's always nice to see a 58 Jim Brown. I'll be adding one to my collection soon enough.
  • Options
    Bottom line. The brown is nice. I like the corners, registration, and brown background. I don't like the fisheye, nor the crimp that I overlooked. I don't think the card is bumpable, and I would live with it in the '7', until a better one came along.
  • Options

<< <i>Scott -

I'm happy to reduce this to "real simple" terms, in fact that's a good idea because maybe that's the only way you'll understand it.

In terms of the truth, the notion that because I think my brand spankin' new Brown RC could be bumpworthy is somehow a lie because you disagree is a nice strawman.........but per usual with you, it's an epic fail. Grading opinions are subjective. In case you've forgotten that, you can find a nice refresher on PSA's home page. Look into it. Unless you've developed an absolute grading system that is proprietary and you've yet to disclose.......possible with you, I suppose.

Actually I would've bought the card if it were 80/20 with rounded corners but still in a 7 holder and spent exactly the same amount of money, so the fact it's a blazer 7 is a bonus.

Accusing me of lying to other board members on an issue that is by nature subjective would be douchebaggery for most people, but perfectly consistent with your past conduct of running off to the other forum and spewing garbage about me.

Don't flatter yourself about being the pompous ass of the boards. You haven't done enough to achieve that title just yet. For now, you're just the high school teenager who farts in geometry class and then runs out in the hall to giggle about it with his buddies (Meteorite Guy, I'm looking at you........you want to call me an ick with a D, be a man about it and do it here. Or come to Texas and post it to my face.)

While we're examining "the truth", Scott, exactly who are these "lemmings" you speak of on the board? You like to call people out, so name em. Who are they? Itzagoner? Leadoff4? Dozens of other good men around here? C'mon, man up and call them out....throw some more people under the bus. They deserve to know. Live up to that title of pompous ass.

The sad reality, Scott, is that you never start an original post here, the majority of your contributions here are in the way of criticism of others, and then you run off to the other forum to thump your chest about it. And that's fine. Just know that I see it all and hear it all, and it says far more about you than it does about me.

I've had my disagreements with a few members here, and over time we've patched things up and I've come to respect them. That doesn't look to be the case with you, but *shrug*........that's how much I care. >>

Tom:

Let's examine this in REALITY . . .

You want this site to be your personal playground and you tout yourself as Mr. Deep Pockets as you've cleaned out the state of Texas of every Mint card. You post in threads with the purpose of promoting your sales in the BST. That's fine, but let's call it what it is.

On the other site that you speak of, I did, in fact note that I thought you (and two others here) were DBOTW candidates. I'll stand by that.

I had a deal with you that wasn't all that I expected. You claim that you offered an apology, but the incessant delay and poor communication didn't befit someone that posts about how great their finds are or how great their cards are.

We're not going to see eye to eye. I understand that. However, I have not posted ANYTHING about you that is not true and have requested that others not attack or sabotage anything regarding your personal life (online persona is one thing, but interference with personal life and work should be off limits and are so in my book). And when I simply and succinctly replied to you when you asked about the Brown with, "Sorry, but I choose not to do business with you," your reply was, "Lol, you are a piece of work. GFY."

Accordingly, you've stated that I run off to another board to thump my chest... I post what I think, what I feel and what I know on many boards. I do not pull punches and have made snide and snarky comments to friends and foe alike. With me, you see what you get. I don't pretend to be something else.

I have started threads. I have shared information. I have offered assistance to others. I don't need to post it or ask others to post glowing reviews about me. If you feel the need for the board to accept you and think of you as the man with the plan, so be it.

You and I both know that this thread wasn't to share your purchase, but an attempt to prove that you got one over on me by buying the card that I didn't want to sell you. If you think it is bump worthy, good for you. If you have success getting it bumped, even better. I don't hold any hard feelings. You got it, I got my price and you say that you're happy with it. That's a win-win for everyone. I agree that the card looks phenomenal.

Now, if you want to attack my character, please be specific. Generalizations may work for you, but I'd rather you be specific instead of some vague, unsubstantiated comment that has no factual basis.

Personally, I think we both know where we stand with each other. People will disagree and not get along. That's human nature. If you want to continue this pissing contest, we can. My proposal is, rather than continue and engage others and tarnish both of us, we let it go and move on. You enjoy your card and I'll enjoy my life and we can resume ignoring each other... Sound like a plan?
  • Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭
    People take message boards too seriously.
    My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options

<< <i>People take message boards too seriously. >>

Message boards are the alternate universe.
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭
    I just wonder if people realize at times that flame wars just are basically redorkulous. For the majority of those who read the posts it just comes across as nerd fests. I mean seriously, getting all worked up over a message board post?

Who really cares about what two or three people are all excited about throwing names across the interwebs? Pretty much only those two or three people.

Nice card. The rest doesn't matter.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Redorkulous" I love it! What a great word!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just wonder if people realize at times that flame wars just are basically redorkulous. For the majority of those who read the posts it just comes across as nerd fests. I mean seriously, getting all worked up over a message board post?

Who really cares about what two or three people are all excited about throwing names across the interwebs? Pretty much only those two or three people.

Nice card. The rest doesn't matter. >>

Yes but that is alot of what the CU message boards are all about, people love to attack and or "pile on"

I dont post much anymore but do enjoy the decent soap opera reads image
  • Options
    ZixxZixx Posts: 228 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I just wonder if people realize at times that flame wars just are basically redorkulous. For the majority of those who read the posts it just comes across as nerd fests. I mean seriously, getting all worked up over a message board post?

Nice card. The rest doesn't matter. >>

Yes but that is alot of what the CU message boards are all about, people love to attack and or "pile on"

I dont post much anymore but do enjoy the decent soap opera reads image >>

Gotta admit, if a drama thread results in a post with the Perkies . . . could be worth it afterall image